Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-08-22, 22:06   Link #2121
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Glad I dropped this... Harem routes and serious romance don't mix for me.
I normally would agree, but this one was done really well. A lot better than I thought Ai Yori Aoshi's harem aspect was handled...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 22:20   Link #2122
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I normally would agree, but this one was done really well. A lot better than I thought Ai Yori Aoshi's harem aspect was handled...
the harem aspect has been handled well I agree the problem is very likely a harem ending will not happen. If anything the recent chapters show that there will be a shizuku end. Nagi will convince the island to let the girls live a normal life but he will be with her. He cares for the other girls yes he has been romantic with the others yes but I believe the only one who he has feelings for is Karin. Not to mention without the dragon god soyogi and Karin both have people to watch over them. Soyogi has the weird lesbian girl and Karin has rinne and oba-baba. Shizuku has nobody and that's why ultimately nagi will stay with her and only her.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 22:21   Link #2123
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Glad I dropped this... Harem routes and serious romance don't mix for me.
This harem series is actually different. It is not just mindlessly dropping girls and making them attracted to the main character. Each of the girls had a story of their own to tell, quirks and flaws in personalities, and attributes that separated each of them from each other. It was a good execution of a harem series. Give it another shot, you may like it.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 22:27   Link #2124
whitecloud

Sooo...officialy go for harem ending? Well, he already have sex with all three anyway...hahaha
Old 2013-08-22, 22:28   Link #2125
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
This harem series is actually different. It is not just mindlessly dropping girls and making them attracted to the main character. Each of the girls had a story of their own to tell, quirks and flaws in personalities, and attributes that separated each of them from each other. It was a good execution of a harem series. Give it another shot, you may like it.
The problem with this series reaper is while it doesn't mindlessly drop girls it does beg the question. Are they attracted to him because he's him or are they trying to fulfill their duty as maidens. After all when they didn't know he was the dragon god Soyogi tried to break his arm and Karin hated him as well. Shizuku was attracted to him she just didn't want him to be a part of the island because of the whole cape maiden thing. Then he becomes dragon god and now they feel like they havta be with this guy because of some ancient prophecy.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:36   Link #2126
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
The problem with this series reaper is while it doesn't mindlessly drop girls it does beg the question. Are they attracted to him because he's him or are they trying to fulfill their duty as maidens. After all when they didn't know he was the dragon god Soyogi tried to break his arm and Karin hated him as well. Shizuku was attracted to him she just didn't want him to be a part of the island because of the whole cape maiden thing. Then he becomes dragon god and now they feel like they havta be with this guy because of some ancient prophecy.
True, they were force to Nagi's side. Though remember, if Nagi didn't had the personality as he did, each of these girls would still be a monk like state. So while yes, at first it was out of duty. Then it was Nagi as a person which develop to love.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:42   Link #2127
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
True, they were force to Nagi's side. Though remember, if Nagi didn't had the personality as he did, each of these girls would still be a monk like state. So while yes, at first it was out of duty. Then it was Nagi as a person which develop to love.
I disagree reapear ask yourself this. When did the girls stop referring to nagi as the dragon god and purely call him nagi. the answer is never the girls don't think of him as him they think of him as the dragon god that's it.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:50   Link #2128
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
I disagree reapear ask yourself this. When did the girls stop referring to nagi as the dragon god and purely call him nagi. the answer is never the girls don't think of him as him they think of him as the dragon god that's it.
I got a differ opinion, mine is opposite. I already read it fully 3 times while waiting for new chapters and that is the conclusion I made.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:55   Link #2129
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
I got a differ opinion, mine is opposite. I already read it fully 3 times while waiting for new chapters and that is the conclusion I made.
hm well that's impressive and yea they each did fall for him. The problem is this. When shizuku is rescued and brought back to the girls. he'll have to make a choice because u know very well the girls wont allow him to choose just 1 because it goes against their teaching in my opinion there cannot be a harem ending and the only girl to choose is shizuku
Old 2013-08-22, 23:02   Link #2130
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
hm well that's impressive and yea they each did fall for him. The problem is this. When shizuku is rescued and brought back to the girls. he'll have to make a choice because u know very well the girls wont allow him to choose just 1 because it goes against their teaching in my opinion there cannot be a harem ending and the only girl to choose is shizuku
There is a first for everything you know, I remembered a manga I read 3 years ago about a guy having the conflict to choose one of two girls that he was in love with. In the end, he married them both, just forgot its name.
Old 2013-08-23, 03:18   Link #2131
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
It's not the harem itself that bothers me-- it's the mixture of serious romance mixed with harem that bothers me. For gag manga or pure comedies like TLR, I don't mind harem endings. However, when it comes to dealing with romance seriously, like this manga does, harem endings bother me because I compare them more to real life and a real life harem would really disturb me. I believe people should be committed to one person in a relationship. That's why I won't pick this up again. I just find the though disturbing.

To me, Nagi is a douchebag for letting things get to this point in the first place, not realizing the girls feelings and leading them on as he did. And the fact that he didn't realize it was happening makes it even worse, imo. He was so focused on trying to please the girl of the moment, that he completely forgot about the other girls (hence going around kissing them all and even almost sleeping with them all-- which was when I dropped it). He just didn't have the balls or the intelligence to say "no". He's a character I cannot bring myself to like or root for. The fact that the girls are so well written just made me dislike him more with how he was handling things.

Some people might be fine with it. Some people may think having a harem of girls in a serious relationship is fine. Just not me.
Old 2013-08-23, 03:32   Link #2132
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Actually, I don't think I would handle a harem lifestyle alright myself. I enjoy it in my fiction because I know that it's only there and not here.
Old 2013-08-23, 07:22   Link #2133
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

so what now? when he gets back will the stupid villagers try to sacrifice the girls anyways
Old 2013-08-23, 07:49   Link #2134
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Actually, I don't think I would handle a harem lifestyle alright myself. I enjoy it in my fiction because I know that it's only there and not here.
harems are the route of temporary fantasy. We all want it but eventually we'd get tired of it for some reason. The reason why its so good in fiction is because u get to imagine yourself being that way.

To use another classic harem properly imagining yourself being rito where instead of be a coward u'd bone the girls all the time the sad fact is if it happened in real life you probably wouldn't like it. There's a reason why getting a threesome automatically puts you in the male HOF its because as much fun as it is to imagine the reality is its never that simple.
Old 2013-08-23, 07:59   Link #2135
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
They actually do exist however, harems that is. In fiction, you may survive, but it is indeed scary if one does not manage it well. Here is the map of countries that do not permit and countries that do permit harems.

Black: Polygamy permitted
Gray: Polygamy legal or illegal status not fully confirmed
Light Blue: Polygamy illegal yet is not yet enforce and still continue
Blue: Polygamy Illegal and enforced

Spoiler for Polygamy map:

There is a big danger that exist in harems, so I understand the dislike of it. Here is an article I found Could be a good way to die, but if only if it wasn't rape
Old 2013-08-23, 08:18   Link #2136
NaweG
Just some guy

Saw a bit earlier that someone asked the question we've all been asking on and off... what happens at the end.

Let me start with a reference I've been meaning to add for some time - our Dragon God comes from "Ryūjin" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%ABjin
which explains his close ties to the sea and to the various fertility beliefs.

Let me point out that while Nagi gets a burst of energy from visiting with his bubble buddy he still hasn't broken the surface of the water. So it remains to be seen if he can make it as a living being...

Assuming he does, I would point to the statement that "The Dragon God Always Saves the Maiden". So that implies that something along the line of what Shizuku did is what always happens. It seems the proper way is that the DG is supposed to pick a maiden, and then the maiden is supposed to leap without all the drugging and other stuff happening. I presume that means that the DG is essentially being forced to prove himself divine by saving the maiden. Given that Shizuku saved him at the start, I'm not sure that is much of a proof since it's obviously possible for a mere mortal, and so you have to wonder how symbolic it is supposed to be.

Also, unlike in previous incarnations (as far as we can tell), Nagi has actually already proved himself to be the DG by his rescue of Rinne. In that sense Shizuku had to know that even by shortcutting the process the way she did, that she was in only minimal danger. Unless she didn't understand the significance of that the way she might have. Given the short timeframe between that and these events, it's possibly something Oba could have explained but didn't.

What this all appears to mean is that Shizuku felt that if he chose one of the other girls that they would choose NOT to force Nagi to become the fully divine Dragon God, and that while Oba would possibly go along with it (particularly after Rinne's rescue) there would be many in the community who would not approve of a shortcut for fear that it might mean their crops would fail, fish harvest be affected etc. You can easily imagine that if there wasn't a bounty all over for the first few months that an isolated group might take that to a bad end.

This kind of implies that the villagers have to see the DG being the DG, and that Shizuku and Nagi should expect a welcoming party at the beach. I'm still not sure that their welcoming won't contain some sense of "hand over the maiden nicely before we kill you".

Given that UnM volumes are typically 10 chapters long, one presumes that either the next chapter will be the conclusion with chapter 121 being an epilogue, or that they are going to try and drag this all out for 11 more chapters to fit one more volume of sales in. Given everything that would have to squeeze into the next 40 pages, I'm inclined to presume it's going to drag out now.

My .02 worth anyway...
Old 2013-08-23, 08:45   Link #2137
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
They actually do exist however, harems that is. In fiction, you may survive, but it is indeed scary if one does not manage it well. Here is the map of countries that do not permit and countries that do permit harems.

Black: Polygamy permitted
Gray: Polygamy legal or illegal status not fully confirmed
Light Blue: Polygamy illegal yet is not yet enforce and still continue
Blue: Polygamy Illegal and enforced

Spoiler for Polygamy map:

There is a big danger that exist in harems, so I understand the dislike of it. Here is an article I found Could be a good way to die, but if only if it wasn't rape
Yes, and all those countries that permit it treat their women like objects. Surprise, surprise.
Old 2013-08-23, 09:10   Link #2138
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Yes, and all those countries that permit it treat their women like objects. Surprise, surprise.
Harem in history used to benefit women more than men. Usually men who can marry several women are wealthy and are nobles. While treated as objects, women get more out of the men than what men get from women. Humanities is such an interesting topic in college.

Its not like I support harem or not, I just support love. If harmony can be present within a group of women and one man than I don't see anything wrong with it. The same can be said with a group of men and one woman. Its not only men that can have a harem. In Tibet, Nymbia, few regions in Mongolia, and few other countries I forgot does permit women to have many men.
Old 2013-08-23, 09:25   Link #2139
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Yeah... still not my thing. :P I still subscribe to the old philosophy of real love only being able to be given to one person. As soon as you start splitting among people, someone is going to get left out.
Old 2013-08-23, 09:41   Link #2140
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Yeah... still not my thing. :P I still subscribe to the old philosophy of real love only being able to be given to one person. As soon as you start splitting among people, someone is going to get left out.
I agree. Threesomes+ should just be left as fantasies and nothing more, you cannot leave that as just friends with benefits stuff for long.

Tags
ecchi, harem, romance, rural, seinen