AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-30, 16:25   Link #201
kira80

^ Yes Hase's voice actor is annoying. I don't know how to put this but he sounds like a duck. He's speaking from his nose or something. Other than that I enjoy the series.
kira80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 06:19   Link #202
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I finally nerved myself to watch this. Even though it seems a recipe for heartbreak.

Damn that diary's tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I have a hard time coming down on a character who's been relentlessly kind and caring since the first moments of the series because he showed a little human frailty. None of us are perfect.
Yeah. I'll add that he just didn't know he would hurt her like that. It's easy, in retrospect, to see why that would be so hurtful, but at the time he thought he was just steering the conversation away from a subject he found uncomfortable.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 12:58   Link #203
tsunade666

This series never fails to make my have the "feel"

those certain scene that they emphasis and gave the "feel" never fails to make me go badump badump. Its really entertaining on its own way.
Old 2014-05-01, 23:38   Link #204
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
I can easily forgive Hase, because I don't think it's only possessiveness. To be forgotten by a person you like hurts. It's been pretty smooth sailing thusfar, and he knows he should be happy about her forgetting, as it implies she sees him as a friend. That's why he had no problems dealing with it.
But of course it hurts if, come next monday, she remembers Shogo, but has forgotten about him, and he has to start from scratch. It's mixed, because her forgetting is a 'good thing', but it's only natural that he wants to be remembered too. And thus gets jealous when she talks about Shogo. It's not pleasant to see, but oh so understandable.
I think this is an important point--Hase CANNOT be a believable character without something like this episode happening at some point in the story, for precisely the reason you highlight--not only does he have a bit of jealousy (and seriously, romantic relationships by definition create some jealousy), BUT as much as Hase logically knows it's a "good" thing he gets forgotten every week, it still really, really sucks.

It's great--and even downright heroic--that Hase puts up such an optimistic front in the face of Fujimiya's amnesia, and he even seems to embrace having to introduce himself every week, BUT there's a point at which the front becomes almost dishonest to both himself *and* Fujimiya. And then it boils over into what we saw in this episode, which isn't good for either of them. Fuijimiya in a perfect world IMO should have realized that this would potentially be a sore point for Hase, especially the reference to how Shougo was so smart academically (when Hase is NOT), and that at some level, Hase MUST be hurt by how he forgets her, as much as he denies it. However, one can hardly blame her, considering how well Hase has controlled these feelings up to this point, and Hase obviously mishandles the topic when he tries to address it. But now they both understand both themselves and each other better, which of course is how relationships naturally develop.

Some folks in this thread have talked about how uncomfortable this was to watch, BUT couples will ALWAYS fight at some point. I'm sorry to say this doesn't always happen in real life, but after a fight, a relationship is hopefully stronger, because the conflict leads to a higher level of mutual understanding--and that's what happens here. Furthermore, by this point, I'm confident enough in the writers that I just *knew* the argument would be resolved in the end, so there really was no consternation on my part, although I sighed a little at how contrived the plot points became. But the episode kept the same superb emotional pitch of the series up to now, and I really found it more satisfying than disturbing.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 11:09   Link #205
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Ep5

Saki arrived!!! They change a few scenes from the manga....that bunny outfit

Also next episode.....oh my god
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 12:19   Link #206
HandofFate

good episode 05.

poor Hase.
Can't compete against pure female friendship.

Lucky for him he didn't see them go to a public bath together. He would have went crazy.
Old 2014-05-04, 12:26   Link #207
Dextro
He Without a Title

Dem feels... When Kaori-chan was saying goodbye to Saki-chan I was on the brink. This show is incredibly effective, I haven't been left this emotional by a show in quite some time (and yes, I'm aware I'm coming here every week saying the same thing )

Spoiler for end of the episode:
Old 2014-05-04, 12:41   Link #208
bakaouji

Well, how about that? Fujimiya found a kindred spirit who's afflicted by a similar condition (or is that the other way around?), presumably short term memory loss. Saki who's a whole head shorter than Fujimiya appears in front of her out of thin air and confesses her admiration for her. At first glance she seemed like just another girl who's forgetful, but by Kiryu's admission, she's changed a lot since kindergarten when she was just bullied for her condition. Now she's found friends who sympathize with her situation and are perfectly comfortable in associating with her. Maybe that's why she approached Fujimiya to befriend her because she sensed a soulmate who was going through something similar.

I liked how Saki casually yanked Fujimiya out of her comfort zone and helped her open up more to someone other than Hase. I think she might've convinced her to drop pretense altogether, now that she's possibly earned some more friends. Who knows, maybe we'll finally stop seeing Fujimiya and Hase eat their lunch on the rooftop for the hundredth time as she starts spending more time with her other girl friends.

A couple of things that bugged me: Was it really necessary for Hase and Kiryu to tail two girls who were just having fun by themselves? It's one thing if he thought she could be in danger, it's another thing when he's tailing her just to make sure Saki doesn't make any yuri passes at Fujimiya. It almost ruined the poignant moment that Fujimiya and Saki were having at the end of their date with Hase peeping at her every private moment.

Another thing I didn't understand was why Fujimiya didn't 'recognize' or know that the girl who approached her on Monday was Saki. Didn't she read her diary before she came to school? That was a convenient slip made by the show so we could get to see how accepting Saki was of Fujimiya's condition and how Fujimiya easily recalled certain moments of their date on her own.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching Saki effortlessly eased her way into Fujimiya's inner circle . The best thing I liked about her was how she never let her condition become a crutch for her or turn it into a tool to make friends by appealing to their sense of pity.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 14:29   Link #209
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a very heartwarming and cute (those animal costumes!) episode. Saki made more progress with Fujimiya in a single day than Hase in a month. She's the kind of friend Kaori (yeah, we're on first name basis now) desperately needed, a very easy-going and somewhat forceful one. Not that I'm undermining what Hase has done, it's thanks to him laying the foundations that Saki was a able to become friends with Kaori so easily. However, given his personality, I don't think he could have further changed Kaori's life all by himself. He would have never made her step out of her comfort zone, like Saki did in this episode.

Things are looking up for Kaori, but I wonder what's going to happen to her friendship with Hase now that she's gotten more friends. She'll probably have less time to spend with him, but I'm sure she will still hold him dear as he was her first friend. Looks like she's starting to remember him too, so the future looks bright at the moment.
Old 2014-05-04, 15:09   Link #210
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Talk about a feel-good episode. The only thing better than one super-moe forgetful girl is two of them. Wonderful performance by Ookubo Rumi as Saki-chan. She sounded like Yuuki Aoi for a moment there. Sure, it's an over-done comic character, but what a character: funny, charming, moe, and sneakily deep.

Images
Ookubo Rumi (Chinatsu in Yuruyuri, Miniwa in Acchi Kocchi, Touko in ServantxService)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaouji View Post
...A couple of things that bugged me: Was it really necessary for Hase and Kiryu to tail two girls who were just having fun by themselves...? Another thing I didn't understand was why Fujimiya didn't 'recognize' or know that the girl who approached her on Monday was Saki. Didn't she read her diary before she came to school? That was a convenient slip made by the show so we could get to see how accepting Saki was of Fujimiya's condition and how Fujimiya easily recalled certain moments of their date on her own....
I can't say I was "bugged," but those two points sure struck me, too. I think Hase and Kiryu had to follow them so we could get their commentary. And then Fujimiya had to not read the diary about Saki so her condition could be treated as normal. Sometimes, there are higher purposes than just being realistic. Illogical, but acceptable in this case.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 15:20   Link #211
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I can't say I was "bugged," but those two points sure struck me, too. I think Hase and Kiryu had to follow them so we could get their commentary. And then Fujimiya had to not read the diary about Saki so her condition could be treated as normal. Sometimes, there are higher purposes than just being realistic. Illogical, but acceptable in this case.
Consider this: it's not that Kaori didn't read about Saki (she probably did since she quickly called her "Saki-chan") but that she didn't write down enough to know that Saki would talk to her in class like that. Remember that she's used to ignoring everyone in class to avoid making friends, ignoring someone is her normal reaction.
Old 2014-05-04, 15:47   Link #212
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Consider this: it's not that Kaori didn't read about Saki (she probably did since she quickly called her "Saki-chan") but that she didn't write down enough to know that Saki would talk to her in class like that. Remember that she's used to ignoring everyone in class to avoid making friends, ignoring someone is her normal reaction.
That makes sense.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 16:20   Link #213
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
That was amazing... beyond amazing, even. Wow.

And what a powerful performance by Saki's VA! Her character was nowhere near as effective as that in the manga for me.... She was Miniwa in Acchi Kocchi, eh? I knew I had heard that voice somewhere before!

In the light of this while Hase was the one who built the foundation Saki was the one who built the house for a new "reality" of sorts for Kaori to live in.

This was also another ep where the quiet background music was very effective without being obtrusive, esp in the scene where Saki and Kaori were saying farewell to each other on Friday. Barely anything was said, but you knew all sorts of things were going on in Kaori's mind. And then after the "See you later!" when Kaori broke down and wept you suddenly found you had been unnoticeably moved right next to her heart and could directly feel what she was experiencing at the moment.

Sneaky. Effective. And I would even say brilliant.
Old 2014-05-04, 17:29   Link #214
cleo

Beautiful ep in every aspect. Saki is the perfect friend for Kaori: it doesn't matter that Kaori forgets, she'll simply barge straight back into her life.
That farewell scene was the highlight. I loved the flow from Shogo talking about Saki's past towards the girls themselves. And than that farewell where it all came together: the music, those gorgeous backgrounds and the emotions. Like Flower said: sneaky, effective and brilliant indeed.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 18:36   Link #215
HandofFate

Kaori treated Saki the same way she did Hase in the beginning.

She knows of Hase, but she doesn't know his face. Until confirmation that this guy is Hase, she treated Hase as any other stranger saying hi to her.

Same thing happened with Saki, Saki just bounced back a bit faster.
Old 2014-05-04, 19:09   Link #216
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Kaori treated Saki the same way she did Hase in the beginning.

She knows of Hase, but she doesn't know his face. Until confirmation that this guy is Hase, she treated Hase as any other stranger saying hi to her.

Same thing happened with Saki, Saki just bounced back a bit faster.
this is exactly the point who peoples are "forgeting", she not only forget names but the person physically, she know who she made friend with someone called Saki from her diary but she dont know who is physically that person, that was she fast remembered when saki presented herself, at first glanse she really not gonna know her, like what happened with hase.

that episode was amazing, that one of the best series of this season so far along side with bokura, no game no life and soredemo sekai, because their are "out of cliche" series, which is nice to see sometimes(ok no game no life have some cliches but the others are much less).
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 20:57   Link #217
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Saki is just cute and really makes an impact
Old 2014-05-04, 23:07   Link #218
Tanatat Knight

I think the anime did a great job with expanding the story, like the whole crepe store and also Saki's after school trip. It made the story get even more feels.
Tanatat Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-05, 03:16   Link #219
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The original manga chapter was cute, but this episode.... this episode.... this episodeennnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggg-

[LGear.exe has ceased functioning. Abort, Retry, Ignore?]

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-05, 05:34   Link #220
Biohazardous

I really like Saki she is soooo cute. I love her mannerisms. I cant wait to see more of all of them. I also want to know whats up with Hase. I think I want to agree with the one who said he might be moving in the more than friend zone. Its very understandable for him to being her first friend and getting the ball rolling in the first place. I look forward to seeing everything develope.
Biohazardous is offline   Reply With Quote