AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-02-01, 12:14   Link #201
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Man, this series knows how to tug on the heartstrings . The first part was comedic gold; it was cute for Maria to get teased by Viv about losing her virginity. I like how Viv groping Artemis and (slickly offscreen) rubbing her 'down there' wasn't overblown with 'It's dirty"-type of remarks, even from Ezekiel. In other words, that type of behavior is normal in the world they live in.

The latter half was very heartwarming and sad as well. Heartwarming in how Martha gives thanks to Maria, despite her being a witch. I'm sure that will affect Ezekiel in the coming eps. It's sad how Maria tried to save that village, but they condemned her for being a witch, yet, even now, she still mourns their passing, to this very day. To give so much love while being hated...that's pretty divine in its own right.

This show does a wonderful job in showing the futility of Maria's actions and, at the same time, how positively affects those around her as well. Def anime of the season for me =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 12:21   Link #202
HandofFate

Ezekiel seemed to talk about an interesting point about becoming god.
If enough people start worshiping and praying to Maria, is there a chance she could get classed up to divine tier or even god tier?
Old 2015-02-01, 12:21   Link #203
James Rye

Man, watching an episode of Maria is like "nice another episodeh? Already over?", time sure flies past fast. XD
Viv gonna be the one who will continue to keep pushing Maria to do SOMEBODY to finally lose her virginity to lose her magic so that her and the other witches can make gold.
Pretty important given that Artemis and Priparius won't do so, knowing they will become owls again after Maria becomes a human.
Also poor Priparius, man that must have been a let-down for Viv but also such an embarressment for him. I mean, an incubus without a D? Where did you hear a story like that? XDDD

Galfa is pretty interesting, yes his views are pretty... well, pragmatical. But he got his own honor, his own dream and the resolve to do anything to keep the one thing while obtaining the other. That is admirable and probably what draws Joseph to spend time with Galfa.
Also him asking Joseph what he wants to achieve in life is pretty important. Sure he could stay a military envoy for his lord, it is a good life from what we saw, but yeah, his whole life? I wonder what Jospeh would like to become, besides Maria's husband that is. ;P
Although it seems he has not enough confidence to even move much in that regard given his "I have no right to think of her like that". :C

Also little Maria! SO CUUUUUTEEEEEEE!!! <3 <3 <3
Makes me wonder though where Maria came from/who her mother/father were. Seems like her childhood had been pretty hard with how she got treated when she tried to help some villages. So sad to see her cry for the very people who loathed her and her medicine. ;_;

But geez, we did saw how Maria's ideals do not create a peaceful world on its own. A whole village nearly got pillaged, his people either raped or killed (if this had gone on) just because the mercenaries had no other way to feed themselves as they get no gold as no wars are being hold. Ofc they could become farmers, but most of them have no land or experience in that regard, so yeah, most of them would die from laugther if Maria would give them that kinda advice.^^;

Next episode seems to focus more on Galfa and Joseph. Is Jospeh from a noble background? His clothes and him being a judge for a match seems to suggest so.
I worry about Maria though given that Bernard now moves on to tell the Lord of this land whatever he tells him. D:
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 12:41   Link #204
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Man, watching an episode of Maria is like "nice another episode? Already over?", time sure flies past fast. XD
Lol, I thought the same thing, at both the half-ep mark and at the end . The ep seemed to just fly by.
Quote:
Although it seems he has not enough confidence to even move much in that regard given his "I have no right to think of her like that". :C
I really wonder if it's a matter of confidence vs something else. Confidence would suggest that he's afraid of mentioning his feelings because of rejection, but he's already done that. Maybe something regarding his morals, such as "I still serve/worship the church that hates the one I love" or something in that regard.
Quote:
I worry about Maria though given that Bernard now moves on to tell the Lord of this land whatever he tells him. D:
I as well. I just hope it isn't some bs like trying to get Joseph to do something abhorrent because he's well-acquainted with Maria. Not that he'd do it anyway, considering he blatantly attacked an high-ranking angel, but I can see him being used in some way if that's the case(even if its something he, himself is unaware of).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 12:52   Link #205
Tenzen12

Well Joseph was there, when Michael passed that punishment. I think that by "no right think about her that way" is meant regarding her situation.
Old 2015-02-01, 13:10   Link #206
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It's a tough situation with Maria. What she really needs to do is outright change medieval society. It's true enough that her actions alone can't really bring a peace. Everyone is still locked in an economic system where war has value for them and they can't get by without it constantly going on. All the tougher though to try and accomplish something that large in scale with rejecting her actions.

In some ways it reminds me of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. To change a society and a world to reach a peaceful place you want, power alone isn't enough. Especially since Maria doesn't have enough power to actually take on everyone who would reject her. She can't beat Michael after all.

Still despite the futility there is good in her actions. Without them that village would be dust now. It'd be the same as the place we saw at the end of the episode. Maybe to the church that is a beautiful conclusion. But really it's just one more stubborn person dying that didn't have to. None of those people had to die. They chose death. While on the other hand we have a village full of life because they chose to live.
Old 2015-02-01, 18:38   Link #207
Wandering Soul

This episode did a good job showing both the positive and negative effects of Maria's actions.I imagine now Maria and Ezekiel will start to gain a better understanding of each other.
Old 2015-02-01, 19:10   Link #208
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I really wonder if it's a matter of confidence vs something else. Confidence would suggest that he's afraid of mentioning his feelings because of rejection, but he's already done that. Maybe something regarding his morals, such as "I still serve/worship the church that hates the one I love" or something in that regard.
Well, that would be pretty tragic for Joseph, loving Maria would mean he becomes a heretic. And we know what many heretics awaited in those days.
I still think that confidence does play a part though as he does seem to be a virign just like Maria and unsure how to approach her, especially given how different she is from your usal girl/woman from that era.

Quote:
I as well. I just hope it isn't some bs like trying to get Joseph to do something abhorrent because he's well-acquainted with Maria. Not that he'd do it anyway, considering he blatantly attacked an high-ranking angel, but I can see him being used in some way if that's the case(even if its something he, himself is unaware of).
Bernard seemed like such a nice and caring guy. I really hope whatever he told the Lord won't end up too badly for Maria. Not that there is much normal humans could do against Maria with her amazing powers, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well Joseph was there, when Michael passed that punishment. I think that by "no right think about her that way" is meant regarding her situation.
Yeah, I guess so too. Which means though he has a better understanding of the situation than Maria with her huge curiousity and desire regarding sex does. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
If enough people start worshiping and praying to Maria, is there a chance she could get classed up to divine tier or even god tier?
I think it is more about being treated like a god as her powers are far beyond human possibilities, even by today standards. People could worship her as a god and she gives them medicine to live longer like Martha or to have better crops and no war in their region, etc.
And that would go against the law of god to not worship somebody else besides him. At least that is how I understood it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Still despite the futility there is good in her actions. Without them that village would be dust now. It'd be the same as the place we saw at the end of the episode. Maybe to the church that is a beautiful conclusion. But really it's just one more stubborn person dying that didn't have to. None of those people had to die. They chose death. While on the other hand we have a village full of life because they chose to live.
Yeah, that's our logcial and enlightened opinion, but for the people back then the people in one village belived in god and lived a good life till their death to go to heaven. The people of the other village chose the tempation over trust in god and took the sin for taking the help of a witch to live. In the eyes of the god believing people, that one village went to heaven, the other will go to hell no matter how long they will live due their sinful lives.
So you could say, on one hand we have a village that chose "heaven" and on the other hand a village that chose "hell". ;P
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 20:48   Link #209
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Yeah, that's our logcial and enlightened opinion, but for the people back then the people in one village belived in god and lived a good life till their death to go to heaven. The people of the other village chose the tempation over trust in god and took the sin for taking the help of a witch to live. In the eyes of the god believing people, that one village went to heaven, the other will go to hell no matter how long they will live due their sinful lives.
So you could say, on one hand we have a village that chose "heaven" and on the other hand a village that chose "hell". ;P
I'm not sure anything I said there was incorrect though. One village chose to live and the other village chose to die.

This was nothing to do with enlightened or modern opinions. That's literally what happened.

Choosing heaven or hell is a completely different topic. Obviously heaven exists in this world with the angels and Valkyrie flying about anyways. Can't even bring a modern viewpoint into that since there is actual existence within the anime's universe. And even then the other village chose not only to keep themselves alive but the future generations that weren't born yet. No reason to think that future generation is being judged on that count.
Old 2015-02-01, 23:28   Link #210
MgMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
"I'm going to die of hunger before I die in the war."

Heh, I can see her making an enemy out of mercenaries too.

EDIT: I'm really looking forward to see what other witches think of Maria's situation, their views on human conflicts & if there are certain witch codes they abide by. Based on their brief appearance & conversation in ep 1 when they were watching Maria stop the battle, it seems that she's a rarity among them. I hope some the show takes some time to shed some light on other witches as well and by the looks of the preview, the blond drill hair witch we saw back in 1 will come in contact with her.
Well, I certainly got my answers from last week, mostly anyway.

Joseph looking up to or befriending Galfa might look make for an interesting situations where his love for Maria is concerned, considering that given the chance, Galfa might not be against getting rid of her.

At least the witches don't seem to be TOO angry with her, not like the mercs anyway. That was the impression I got from Viv anyway who was more friendly & outgoing than I though and the fact that a witch guild does exist and Maria even got an invitation to it means that she can expect more leeway from other witches, even though they apparently make a living of wars just as mercenaries do. Of course, that might not be the case for long if she keeps interfering.

These episodes go by in a flash! This show's turning out to be a real hidden-gem.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 23:46   Link #211
mweloo

Quote:
Next episode seems to focus more on Galfa and Joseph. Is Jospeh from a noble background? His clothes and him being a judge for a match seems to suggest so.
I don't think he is. Didn't he say he was the servant of a landlord back in episode 2?
mweloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 03:03   Link #212
Legendzerox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Funny story. I played a DnD game once where I went around after I founded a church to myself and helped those in need. After the game ended, in the epilogue, my character became a god because people prayed for me.

I am really enjoying Maria the Virgin Witch. Coming into it, I didn't expect much more than a fanservice anime. Instead, I am watching a philisophical anime thats main premise is about religion, war, and the choices people make.
Legendzerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 03:20   Link #213
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendzerox View Post
Funny story. I played a DnD game once where I went around after I founded a church to myself and helped those in need. After the game ended, in the epilogue, my character became a god because people prayed for me.

I am really enjoying Maria the Virgin Witch. Coming into it, I didn't expect much more than a fanservice anime. Instead, I am watching a philisophical anime thats main premise is about religion, war, and the choices people make.
As popular as Shirobako is becoming, you may want to rethink starting anecdotes that way...

I'm still on the fence here. This is a mildly interesting and "not a mass-produced model" series, but it isn't doing anything to close the deal with me. And I already feel like they're beating the Priapos-dick gag into the ground. Why do anime fans find it so amusing to see the nice character perpetually tortured?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 10:09   Link #214
zero7090

Quote:
The latter half was very heartwarming and sad as well. Heartwarming in how Martha gives thanks to Maria, despite her being a witch. I'm sure that will affect Ezekiel in the coming eps. It's sad how Maria tried to save that village, but they condemned her for being a witch, yet, even now, she still mourns their passing, to this very day. To give so much love while being hated...that's pretty divine in its own right.

This show does a wonderful job in showing the futility of Maria's actions and, at the same time, how positively affects those around her as well. Def anime of the season for me =03.
seeing those villager died a painful death make me remember a story

Quote:
A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”
p/s: i just notice that in the ED, at first Ezekiel is totally opposite with the 2 owls until they pecked her. Not sure if that is a hint suggesting that Ezekiel will change her thinking after living together will Maria long enough.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 10:55   Link #215
BWTraveller
Born to ship

This is definitely an interesting series. While I agree with Maria's POV that war and killing is in and of itself a bad thing with a few exceptions, I understand that those who've dedicated themselves to battle would be troubled. After all, if you don't know how to do anything but fight, your life will certainly be hard when there's no fighting to be had. Especially if a soldier isn't properly paid without battles; if a soldier isn't paid unless there's a battle for him to fight, then when there's no battle he needs to find some other way to survive.

Some say this is actually how some privateers became pirates; they receive no actual pay, just a right to pillage enemy ships without penalty, so if they find no enemy ships to attack, they make no money. After a while, a captain has to decide between attacking any ship he sees regardless of allegiance or being killed by hungry mutineers. Though more crude and cruel, that's basically what happened with those mercenaries: without anyone to kill for money, they went after the first likely source of loot they found.

If Maria wants to end the wars, she has to think beyond merely stopping battles from occurring; she needs to look into what the fighting's about and put a stop to the source, and she also needs to find a way for soldiers to make a decent living that doesn't involve killing. Without this the war will continue, and even if it doesn't, that just means the soldiers will kill, rob and rape peasants instead.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 12:50   Link #216
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As popular as Shirobako is becoming, you may want to rethink starting anecdotes that way...

I'm still on the fence here. This is a mildly interesting and "not a mass-produced model" series, but it isn't doing anything to close the deal with me. And I already feel like they're beating the Priapos-dick gag into the ground. Why do anime fans find it so amusing to see the nice character perpetually tortured?
The "funny story" line is waaaaay older then Shirobako though.
Old 2015-02-02, 18:27   Link #217
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
The "funny story" line is waaaaay older then Shirobako though.
Yes, but an entire generation of young anime fans is going to associate it with this usage I suspect.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 18:55   Link #218
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, but an entire generation of young anime fans is going to associate it with this usage I suspect.
Probably, unfortunately. When did I become such an old fogey, I'll just blame it on my old fogey parents.
Old 2015-02-02, 23:50   Link #219
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I think the way they handled the town plague story in comparison to the manga is interesting. In the manga, Maria told Ezekiel and Priapros the story, then proceeded to pray for those who died. Here, we experience the story in a flashback (so it's important to note that Ezekiel is currently not aware of what Maria tried to do for that town) and Maria instead spreads flower petals as a form of respect.

Not sure which portrayal I prefer more. Perhaps they simply did things this way for the anime in order to neatly fill up time for the episode? Who knows.
Old 2015-02-03, 02:12   Link #220
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 4:
Wow, that second half of that episode is so heart-breaking. I mean, Maria is saving those villagers from that Black Plague, but they drove her away which lead them to their deaths!

On the other hand, seems that Priapos doesn't have a penis yet... Sad for him after being dragged by Viv on teaching him the ropes, if you know what I mean!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philosophy