AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-07, 19:22   Link #201
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I'm just impressed that Galatea is fighting in heels! That can't be giving the traction a blind woman needs for combat! It reminds me of when Clare battled Duff with one shoe on after her foot was crushed. Then again Jean fought wearing nothing but a cloak, so really it doesn't seem to matter as long as a claymore has their sword.

I honestly can't figure out why Claymores even have armor. It gets torn through like paper and doesn't seem to protect very well. The one time it seemed to do something that I can remember is when Teresa is defending against Irene's quick sword and one of the slashes slid off her shoulder pad. Maybe the armor is just there to protect their "critical spot" (which hasn't been mentioned since like the slashers arc) on their torso. That or to look cool. But I am a much bigger fan of the costumes Renegade Claymores figure out without the organization. Clare found a sweet cloak and gave it to Jean. Irene and the magnificent seven went for what looks like black leather with straps and Teresa is a nun. Raphaela will probably appear as a nurse, a French maid, or a beer maiden.

Edit: oops. I meant Galatea is now a nun. Teresa is an angel

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-01-07 at 22:11. Reason: Character typo. Read your posts kids!
Old 2008-01-07, 19:36   Link #202
Anima
Oh! You mean we don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
I'm just impressed that Galatea is fighting in heels! That can't be giving the traction a blind woman needs for combat! It reminds me of when Clare battled Duff with one shoe on after her foot was crushed. Then again Jean fought wearing nothing but a cloak, so really it doesn't seem to matter as long as a claymore has their sword.
Having the heels is indeed very weird but I don't see a problem with Jean fighting with a cloak only. As for Clare's shoe, come on man! don't be so picky! she is in a middle of a fight. Do you want her to go looking for a spare shoe?

Quote:
I honestly can't figure out why Claymores even have armor. It gets torn through like paper and doesn't seem to protect very well. The one time it seemed to do something that I can remember is when Teresa is defending against Irene's quick sword and one of the slashes slid off her shoulder pad. Maybe the armor is just there to protect their "critical spot" (which hasn't been mentioned since like the slashers arc) on their torso. That or to look cool.
Good point, but I think it's only for the looks. How can a shoulder armor protect a "critical spot"? or can you explain that belt thing they have on their waists and what does it do? just extra weight and because when Teresa fought without it, she looked rather funny.

Quote:
But I am a much bigger fan of the costumes Renegade Claymores figure out without the organization. Clare found a sweet cloak and gave it to Jean. Irene and the magnificent seven went for what looks like black leather with straps and Teresa is a nun. Raphaela will probably appear as a nurse, a French maid, or a beer maiden.
LOL... I thought Irene's one was a bit naughty. Totally unfitting for her character. the fab 7 uniform looks ok if they just ditch the straps :x
I suppose you meant Galatea is the nun not Teresa obviously but that's just to help her disguise man! how can she act as a nun in a non-nun uniform (now that sounded rather funny.. non-nun! lol)

One-eyed Rafaela in maid uniform PLX.. We need that in the image thread!
Old 2008-01-07, 19:42   Link #203
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
The second arm can be use for balance and added str for attacks/defending. Imo it's a big handicap.
Definately. I think we people with 2 arms take em for granted and don't realise how devasting the loss of one of them would be ^^

Quote:
Raphaela will probably appear as a nurse, a French maid, or a beer maiden.
lolz

Heh, the Claymore armor is actually horribly impractical and mostly pointless. There is nothing protecting their necks, heart, intestines, etc...All the places that actually really need armor. And considering the nature of the beings they fight, wearing any armor at all is pretty pointless unless it is heavy plate. And that's not the best thing for mobility. >.<

I guess it's just a matter of what the author thought would look cool for an outfit. ^^
Old 2008-01-07, 19:47   Link #204
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

Send a message via MSN to Siegzon Caritas
Cool

Quote:
Raphaela will probably appear as a nurse, a French maid, or a beer maiden.
Anime maids (Black Lagoon, Mai Otome just to name 2) are already some of the deadliest forces in the cosmos! An anime Claymore maid would be simply too terrible to behold! Riful would get one whiff of that Maid Yoki and poof she'd crawl up in a little ball and dissappear from Maid Raphaela!
Old 2008-01-07, 20:18   Link #205
stringer13
Irene's #1 Fan

I think the armor protects them somewhat. I mean in Teresa's fight against Irene and Priscilla she got one small scratch from Irene which would leave a little cut and Priscilla made a lot of scratches on her armor which would make some damage.
Old 2008-01-07, 21:37   Link #206
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valduran View Post
Heh, the Claymore armor is actually horribly impractical and mostly pointless. There is nothing protecting their necks, heart, intestines, etc...All the places that actually really need armor. And considering the nature of the beings they fight, wearing any armor at all is pretty pointless unless it is heavy plate. And that's not the best thing for mobility. >.<

I guess it's just a matter of what the author thought would look cool for an outfit. ^^
You need to take into account super strength and super dexterity which Claymore have. The rules for what makes good armor really change with supernatural physical abilities. Your combat style and what kind of blows you don't want to take can account for a supernatural being wanting some odd choices for physical gear as opposed to what history and experience have taught us what is best for a normal human. The shoulder armor pieces may be an offensive armor piece for a very forceful shoulder slam when the reach of their claymore sword becomes a disadvantage in close quarters combat..

It could be with their dexterity they just want a few pieces of armor which they can move like a normal fighter would use a buckler, but they can adjust their body via dexterity the way a normal gladiator via dexterity moves a buckler to block an opponents blade. The Claymores have the dexterity to move their armor into the opponents shot while advancing to strike.

Claymores throw out the normal human rules of fighting, hence the way they use those honkin' big swords.
YMMV
Old 2008-01-07, 21:47   Link #207
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NezoR View Post
Jeez people... Not to sound too facetious here, but there are too many Clare fanboys here. It's amazing how soon people forget about the finer details of what they are reading. Remember this....

Spoiler:

Yup, that's the point I'm making. I'm not saying that Clare is not an interesting or likable character, I'm saying that IMO I prefer the more "human-like" Clarice to the "stiff" robot-like Clare. Clarice has all the attributes that make her a more interesting character and I welcome her appearance and wish to see more of her in the future.
That statement is less an accurate description of Clare's character as it more reveals the prejudice of ignorant townsfolk. What Clare showed in the beginning is a defensive wall, something which Raki happened to penetrate and break down.

And for the record, I'm a Teresa Apologist, not just a mere a fanboy as others may be. I need not resort to fanboyism because Teresa beats anything. Well, except for two things, a little girl's hug and a cheap shot.
Old 2008-01-07, 21:54   Link #208
Sassarai
Army of One

The most useful part of the armor is definitely the Sword holder. It can hold up to 2 swords. That's simply amazing.
Old 2008-01-07, 22:25   Link #209
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

The sword holder certainly is useful. Except try pulling a long sword out of a sheath on your back... you'll find your arm is much shorter than you think. I know from sad experience... But this could easily be explained by saying the sword is just held there and can be pulled out sideways. That makes the most sense. Treating it like a sheath would be impossible for the size of the claymores. But however it works the sword holder is awesome. Especially because it seems to allow for instantaneous sword drawing without damaging itself. I wonder how many times Flora missed the holster before she managed the wind cutter without cutting up her cloak.

Maybe the uniform is just to make sure people know they are claymores? It seems if Claymores have a choice they take off the armor and walk around without their bulky shoes on. They even train without armor. It could just be a symbol of their status as an actual warrior. Also their armor is customized for each claymore. I didn't notice the difference until I saw a pic of Teresa and Galatea from the side, but each shoulder pad and chest strap is a little different. Subtle, but still different. Raphaela has crazy big shoulder armor.

The shoes don't make any sense though now that I think about them. Clare didn't even bother finding a shoe after hers was crushed by Duff and the fight was over. Even when Raphaela appeared she was still going one shoe one one shoe off, which I can't do because it freaks me out balance wise.

I am really all in for the new rogue claymore costumes. I remember speculating a while back that Galatea would be in black leather like everyone else who left the org. The nun thing got me totally by surprise. Nurse/Maid (I can't decide) Raphaela is the next costume to appear. That or... school girl...

Spoiler for Something I noticed that is really silly...:
Old 2008-01-07, 22:57   Link #210
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Well, you might think it's silly and funny. I think it's damn HOT!
Old 2008-01-07, 23:01   Link #211
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegzon Caritas View Post
You need to take into account super strength and super dexterity which Claymore have. The rules for what makes good armor really change with supernatural physical abilities. Your combat style and what kind of blows you don't want to take can account for a supernatural being wanting some odd choices for physical gear as opposed to what history and experience have taught us what is best for a normal human. The shoulder armor pieces may be an offensive armor piece for a very forceful shoulder slam when the reach of their claymore sword becomes a disadvantage in close quarters combat..

It could be with their dexterity they just want a few pieces of armor which they can move like a normal fighter would use a buckler, but they can adjust their body via dexterity the way a normal gladiator via dexterity moves a buckler to block an opponents blade. The Claymores have the dexterity to move their armor into the opponents shot while advancing to strike.
Erm, armor is generally a precautionary measure for when someone gets a blow through your guard. And I never once saw them utilize their armor in any fashion, the most attention it ever gets is to be sliced up when someone hits them on the shoulder. Shoulder slams really aren't well-suited to the Claymore style of combat. And also, any blow they are quick enough to react to can be just as easily blocked by their sword, so they aren't exactly using them as stationary shields.

Chain mail would be far more effective protection, wouldn't encumber them AT ALL since they are so strong, and they could still wear shoulder guards over it. They have groin plates, but no chest armor...? Plate boots? Metal boots accomplish little more than slowing you down, unless you are on horseback.

I really must disagree with the statement that the rules for what makes good armor change. Shoulder guards are definately useful, but the problem is, most blows that you are unable to parry or dodge, generally do not land on your shoulders. You start by protecting your critical spots, and the places you are most likely to take a blow, then add more from there depending on your endurance and strength.

And Chiba kinda(maybe unintentionally, dunno ) made a point about the author's view of practicality. The way they are able to whip their huge swords out in a fraction of a second without damaging their outfit is very unrealistic to say the least. Unless their sword holders are incredibly ingenious in design.

I return to my former conclusion: It's all about the looks of the outfit, nothing more. I think Yagi was trying to go for something unique. ^^
Old 2008-01-07, 23:48   Link #212
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

If you're strong enough to slice up a healthy tree of a foot diameter with a sword in one hand, the rules of armor encumbrance change as far as weight, but the impediment to movement does not change; hence, the desirte for piecemeal armor.. Don't know how I can express it better, but I can definately see the utility of super strong shape changers not wanting to be enclosed in armor but still have piecemeal armor to use at need. Frankly it's what I'd do.

I figured the the sword scabbards are clips perhaps spring loaded, btw, not sheaths.
Old 2008-01-07, 23:55   Link #213
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

I figure the armor is for little more than show. For one thing the armor Galk was wearing in the Cathereal fight didn't stop the Yoma's claws. It may have helped keep them from killing him, but they still penetreated the plate. Claymores don't wear armor over their vital organs. And the seven ghosts have done away with armor compleatly. I figure it's just the uniform the org assigns.
The shoe thing with Claire does bug me though. Has anyone else ever tried to walk with just one shoe on? I disrupts your balence, since your legs are now of uneven lengh. Maybe there wasn't time to take care of it in battle, but Claire still only had one shoe on later! I would have taken it off after a few steps.
As for Jean and the cloak, well obvously Jean didn't feel ashamed of her body.
Old 2008-01-08, 00:11   Link #214
Siegzon Caritas
Yuma! I CAN fight, too!

ok, ok, i'm all alone on the armor thiing.
Old 2008-01-08, 00:15   Link #215
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I'm of the opinion that the armor is restrictive. The armor may have been a necessity during the time of male warriors. But all that the female warriors need to fight effectively is just a cloak as Jean was wearing. Yup. Nice.
Old 2008-01-08, 00:56   Link #216
Valduran
Riful For President
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegzon Caritas View Post
ok, ok, i'm all alone on the armor thiing.

But actually you made a good point about them being shapechangers. That pretty much rules out chainmail unless they want to get a new set of armor everytime they fight an enemy that requires massive yoki release.

Chainmail isn't movement restricting at all though, just heavy.
(From personal experience )
Old 2008-01-08, 01:55   Link #217
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
The sword holder certainly is useful. Except try pulling a long sword out of a sheath on your back... you'll find your arm is much shorter than you think. I know from sad experience... But this could easily be explained by saying the sword is just held there and can be pulled out sideways. That makes the most sense. Treating it like a sheath would be impossible for the size of the claymores. But however it works the sword holder is awesome. Especially because it seems to allow for instantaneous sword drawing without damaging itself. I wonder how many times Flora missed the holster before she managed the wind cutter without cutting up her cloak.
You made me go over a couple of episodes and reread a couple of chapters to see how the sword was drawn out from the holder. Conclusion.. I have no idea it was too fast. Magic I guess magic.
Old 2008-01-08, 02:36   Link #218
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I'll just imagine that the sword holder is a clamp, or a side sling, not a scabbard. Just like Siegzon Caritas said. It's true, walking around without a shoe on would not be easy. I've lost a shoe or too in mud and hopping around over rocks ain't easy. And even with a cloak on, Jean must have been more than just comfortable with her body. Walking through a forest with a blanket on is just asking for trouble. They were walking for long enough for Galatea to return, give a report, and for Rubel to take Raphaela out to find them.

It is fascinating to me how each claymores armor is a little different. Who do they have make the specialized armor? Even Jean and Clare's armor is different when they appear in Pieta. They must have a guy back at the shop making armor constantly. Do the claymores get to pick their armor? Do they get to pick their symbol? Helen seems to have modified her outfit to accomodate her stretching. The part of their armor that might be the most useful is the shoulder clip over their sternum which might offer a little protection over their hybrid parts, but not much else.

I think the armor is just a badge which screams, "I am a claymore if you can't already tell."
Old 2008-01-08, 04:19   Link #219
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valduran View Post

But actually you made a good point about them being shapechangers. That pretty much rules out chainmail unless they want to get a new set of armor everytime they fight an enemy that requires massive yoki release.
From what I can remember, doesn't Alicia's black armor stay intact after she transforms?
Old 2008-01-08, 04:22   Link #220
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
From what I can remember, doesn't Alicia's black armor stay intact after she transforms?
No, it doesn't. Heck, the man in black even points out to Galatea that they need new clothing after every battle.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread