AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-05, 15:48   Link #201
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius
Spoiler for Is this present in the anime...:
It's the very first scene.
Old 2006-10-05, 15:59   Link #202
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
I have no proven sources, but from what I've heard, unlike the overall criticism DN recieved over it's 2nd part around the Interweb, it's something that isn't prevailent in Japan.

Japanese fans apparently doesn't care so much about drop in quality unless it is something horrid (( Like HxH's horrible art after Togashi's sickness )).
I call BS on this.
If you followed Japanese boards (including 2ch weekly shounen board) and various wj review blogs while the second part was running, you'd realize just how harshly it was recieved.
Old 2006-10-05, 17:23   Link #203
Super Ska Master

The group that subbed the promo said ep 1 should be out later today.
Old 2006-10-05, 20:23   Link #204
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
I call BS on this.
If you followed Japanese boards (including 2ch weekly shounen board) and various wj review blogs while the second part was running, you'd realize just how harshly it was recieved.
I'm talking about commercial acceptance. Not internet boards.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-05, 21:25   Link #205
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Exactly, how do you measure "commercial acceptance" and assume people don't care about quality?

Gundam SEED, despite is major critisms everywhere, was extremely successful commercially. Based on that, you're gonna make a general assumption that Japanese don't care about quality robot anime also?

I beg to differ.
I, for one, did not like your generalization of us Japanese public.

In my experience, I hardly ever came across positive remarks of the second part of Death Note.
I assume you are fluent in Japanese, and HAVE read/communicated with Japanese otaku, before passing those judgements?
Old 2006-10-05, 21:45   Link #206
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Okay, if you want a commercial acceptance example...

I was watching some morning news program, and they started with a rather interesting list of top 10 highest-selling... er... I didn't quite get if it was the novel or artbook, but most probably it was novel. It lists some years and the title of the series... then at the very bottom... #10: 2006: Death Note. Dunno if this is accurate (my Nihongo fails me) but in any case, Death Note has some #10 in all-time whatever chart it was. This is a mainstream morning news program, not some obscure anime program listing current top 10 manga or anything, so the list shouldn't be skewed towards otaku-oriented material.

Then I was walking around Shibuya (or Akihabara? can't remember) and glanced upon a bookstore. It had posters outside telling everyone the top selling books, then I saw Death Note at #1. This was around the end of August, IIRC the novel was released around that time, so it was probably the novel.

Therefore, the public probably didn't care whether part 2 was junk, because Death Note is popular even to this day.

Oh, and the second part of the movie is gonna premiere this month, too.
Old 2006-10-05, 22:40   Link #207
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

People in overall may notice that the quality had dropped (( in their opinion )), but at the same time, does that place them in the scenario that "shit, I'm gonna drop this stuff" and create a statistically proven backlash that rather than drawing more fans, it is losing fans? From what I've seen around, no. Rather, DN maintained an all-time high popularity. It can be argued statistically that GSD didn't do statistically so well compared to SEED and that it lost some fans, but the fact that both of them are commercially successful is a fact.

And yes, for your information, I can speak Japanese (( decently well enough for a normal conversation )), understand Japanese (( I'd understand 90% of everything I hear in Japanese, unless it's skewed/extremely complex )) and had spoken to Japanese female otakus during one of my exchange education trips to Japan. And just like an otaku, she does rabble on a little about minor details, drop in quality, inconsistency, etc etc etc, but at the same time, she was so smitten by that product that she continued buying it even when her otaku side thinks it wasn't as good as before.

Unlike HxH where loads of hate mail were sent to JUMP HQ due to the horrible drop in art or Rorouni Kenshin when that death scene happened in the Jinchu/Enishi arc, DN didn't suffer hate-backlash from overextending what some people thought would've been a fitting ending.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-05, 23:44   Link #208
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
And yes, for your information, I can speak Japanese (( decently well enough for a normal conversation )), understand Japanese (( I'd understand 90% of everything I hear in Japanese, unless it's skewed/extremely complex )) and had spoken to Japanese female otakus during one of my exchange education trips to Japan. And just like an otaku, she does rabble on a little about minor details, drop in quality, inconsistency, etc etc etc, but at the same time, she was so smitten by that product that she continued buying it even when her otaku side thinks it wasn't as good as before.
Well, you spoke to fujoshi fans. that explains a lot.
Death Note popularity was half carried by fujoshi wooing over pretty boys, and didn't care for quality of a manga or anything.

Why you consider them the majority of Japan, I don't know.
But if you WISH to keep considering them the center of otaku culture, and base your opinions solely on that... then so be it.

Let's take Gundam Seed series for example.
By vast majority of Gundam fans, and anime fans, it's seen as a junk.
But due to MASSIVE fujoshi fan following, it was a successful hit.

So... since it made a lot of profit, you consider
"anime fans don't care for quality, because SEED was popular."

Eh, no. CERTAIN anime fans that were religiously in love with it made it successful.
Which can happen with anything.
But does that mean it's "anime fan's majority's opinion"?
HELL NO.

If a product hits a certain successful note with certain types of fans, it can become commercially successful.
I don't understand WHY you fail to see that.
I see your blind sight to be nothing but an insult to all of us Japanese.

peace.
Old 2006-10-05, 23:50   Link #209
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I concede my defeat if that's the case. I won't argue with a full-fledged Japanese from my half-assed gained knowledge.

Let's end it at that. aohige - 1, Nighty - 0.

Old 2006-10-06, 00:53   Link #210
garreto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ska Master
any word on that yet?
Old 2006-10-06, 00:55   Link #211
GameKyuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ska Master
Which group would this be? Karehi?

Lol yay 2x noob post
Oh yeah Ryuuku gif I made yesterday
Old 2006-10-06, 01:38   Link #212
Tsubie
L-E Staff Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Tsubie
Um, Live-eviL and Karehi are doing Death Note for sure. They've officially announced it. Live-eviL is the group that used to speed-sub Tsubasa Chronicle jointly with DB. The current Death Note staff are the L-E Girls. Hehe. Karehi did the promo yes, I've watched it too. As for Karehi though, a quote from #animecentral on irc.enterthegame.com regarding when they're planning to release:

Quote:
[22:29] <@bayoab> apparently
[22:29] <@bayoab> shitgroup karehi is going to release DN tomorrow
[22:29] <@bayoab> come on other groups

I've heard C1 Anime, Otaku-Fansubs, Seraph Fansubs and Toriyama World are supposed to be doing them too but haven't heard from them yet. Wonder what's up.

I'd leech both their releases and see which is better.

-Tsubasa
Old 2006-10-06, 01:50   Link #213
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Toriyama World is getting back into fansubbing? Wow. Are any of the original fansubbers involved or is it totally revamped, like their manga team has been.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-06, 02:01   Link #214
skywalker_623
SkyWalker above the Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
Ahem...

It's been confirmed that the anime will be done by Madhouse, right? I have mixed feelings about that. While they're definitely capable of pulling out some sweet visuals, they haven't shown much in the way of animation l33tness in recent times, unless I'm forgetting something important. I mean, DN is mostly talking heads anyway--but IMO that gives them even less of an excuse to cut corners.
MadHouse... hmmm... they DO tend to skip scenes from the manga and leave out characters... just like what they did to Ichigo 100% But since the manga has already ended... I just hope they make the best out of it.
Old 2006-10-06, 02:17   Link #215
GameKyuubi

The only big difference I noticed in the first ep was that L/Right seemed more obviously driven by a hunger for power than a drive to make the world a better place. That kinda bugged me, but other than that I thought it was great.
Old 2006-10-06, 02:35   Link #216
Tsubie
L-E Staff Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Tsubie
You meant Light.
Old 2006-10-06, 02:47   Link #217
GameKyuubi

I do honestly like the sound of Light better than Right. Was it ever determined which one was official?
Old 2006-10-06, 02:52   Link #218
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Toriyama World is getting back into fansubbing?
DId they ever finish anything besides 2 or 3 manga series ?
Old 2006-10-06, 03:35   Link #219
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I am sure that the official name is "Light" (I remember how manga fans made a riot because they liked "Raito" ). Let me find a source...
Old 2006-10-06, 04:36   Link #220
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Toriyama World is getting back into fansubbing? Wow. Are any of the original fansubbers involved or is it totally revamped, like their manga team has been.
I can answer that for you. Since people at the TW forums were believing that the site and group were going to be dead, a couple of forum goers decided to re-evaluate TW and re-distribue anime series. Taking permission from the main boss himself to use the name, he is actually on this team.

So it's kinda a new team, but some old people might come back if we show them this hope.

________
NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:34.
Closed Thread