Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-12, 09:42   Link #201
Scarecrow*
Neneko Shinjitsu!

I'm up episode 6.

So far it's a FUN anime, has action, comedy, lots and lots of drama, but still good.

Sometimes it gets too deep and I really don't have the time for mind-boggling drama lol....so yeah that's the only problem with it.

Crhistmas is loooooooooove
Old 2008-02-01, 04:00   Link #202
Moonbase

I don't know if anyone still follows this thread, but I'll give it a shot anyhow.

I watched the series and liked it a lot as an anime that examines character relationships. As a plot driven anime, I'd almost say it fails but since it's quite clearly not that kind of anime, I was satisfied with the ending... for the most part.

As an anime about character relationships, I was fairly disappointed with how the characters are portrayed in the end. Ayaka and Kurau marry... but we are never introduced to the husbands. Kurau's character in the end seems exceptionally hollow to me. She was so important for (pivotal even) yet she is basically cast aside in the end.

Kurau's father is a character that always bugged me. He really never does much of anything except say "Kurau... Kurau... Kurau!" for the entire series. Yeah, I get that he's upset that he has caused this whole scenario for his daughter and, yes, I understand he's trying to do everything he can to help her... but in the end he does jack all. He's really one of the only characters (maybe even the only character) that I feel the writers glossed over and didn't explain enough about.

These are some fairly large flaws in my opinion but the anime overall was great. I love the OP to death and have played it at least 100 times since I got a hold of the whole thing. The animation wasn't that detailed but the design direction was excellent for me and getting to see the artwork made up for the previous flaw. There was a plot and it served it's purpose in supporting the character's interactions. All in all, I'll remember this anime fondly.
Old 2008-02-19, 09:59   Link #203
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Can someone knowledgeable clarify the licensing status of this show? When I was picking up Live-eviL's release of Windaria after reading NSW's strong endorsement of the film, I noticed they have an "ADV lost license" release of the first three episodes of Kurau that's about four days old. Checking at RightStuf, all six ADV DVDs are still for sale, but the show no longer appears in the "License Database" here on AS. In the forum it's obviously still categorized as Licensed.

Anyone know what's really going on here?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-19 at 18:32. Reason: see below
Old 2008-02-19, 11:38   Link #204
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Can someone knowledgeable clarify the licensing status of this show? When I was picking up Live-eviL's release of Windaria after reading NSW's strong endorsement of the film, I noticed they have an "ADV lost license" release of the first three episodes of Kurau that's about four days old. Checking at RightStuf, all six ADV DVDs are still for sale, but the show no longer appears in the "License Database" here on AS. In the forum it's obviously still categorized as Licensed.

ADV, although they may be going through some troubled times, still has the license. At least, nothing has been said otherwise.

It's unlikely but hopefully they don't go the way of Geneon. I still need my Kanon, Gurren Lagann, NHK, and Red Garden.
Old 2008-02-19, 16:42   Link #205
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:

I think that Live-eviL is mistaken about the license being lost and that is also AnimeSuki's official stance until ADV actually claims they have lost it. That was a very questionable decision on Live-eviL's part. They did this just because they subbed the episodes just before the license was announced and have been upset that they were never able to release the results of their hard work.

Anyway, I think that even if ADV did lose the license it is still immoral to torrent those episodes as long as the DVD is still easily purchasable. Now if someone wanted to sub the final few episodes that ADV may never release, then we would at least need to consider if ADV still has the license.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-02-19, 18:30   Link #206
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thanks! I thought it rather unlikely myself.

Quote:
the show no longer appears in the "License Database" here on AS.
Oops, my bad. I looked under "Phantom" rather than "Kurau." She's still alive and well and living in the database.
Old 2008-04-10, 02:56   Link #207
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Just finished watching Kurau a few days ago and recently tried to give it a proper review. Although the series offers nothing new or original, I think it's one of those cases which demonstate that a show need not be abysmally boring despite the number of cliches/tropes used (The Vision of Escaflowne, anyone?)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, sci-fi