Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-09, 15:24   Link #201
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I guess the lectureres also play a big role, how good or bad one can do in a course. When me and a couple of other guys had some trouble doing some calculation on vibration, our lecturer showed us how to use mathcad and FEA software in a couple of tutorial sessions, to solve the most of the problems. However our math lecturer just told us to open a book and solve problem page XXX to YYY for new week, i barely made through that elective module.
Since his course is very complex, including many time-consuming matrix multiplications and inversions, he just gets the results from his book...we were never told HOW he got those, I gather he's used a program but iunno how apt he is with it...or why the hell I can't bring my laptop in the examination room and do the same, after all the course is taken with open books and notes (and over 85% STILL fails).
Quote:
I only learned the library schedule because I worked there during the year. But something I always noticed was that with us, the place got very crowded around the time of exams. The rest of the time it had some traffic, but it was never very busy.
It's quite the same here, normally it's as quiet as a library should be, but during exams it's like our third cafe
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 12:54   Link #202
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Since his course is very complex, including many time-consuming matrix multiplications and inversions, he just gets the results from his book...we were never told HOW he got those, I gather he's used a program but iunno how apt he is with it...or why the hell I can't bring my laptop in the examination room and do the same, after all the course is taken with open books and notes (and over 85% STILL fails).
There is something serious wrong with your lecturer, i cannot really comment on it but from what you reported he has some serious issues. I don't know how the education system works in greece, but here exams are reviewed by one additional internal and one external examiner, to ensure that papers are marked correctly.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 13:55   Link #203
Kafriel
Senior Guest

"There's not enough people for the job", meaning that there are hundreds of unemployed people who can and want to teach, but aren't allowed to so that the higher ups can eat the money instead of paying an extra salary. There's tons of protesting about it, marching on the streets, etc. but yeah, I'll come up with something...
Old 2010-08-11, 01:13   Link #204
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
I don't think I have any mean to cook foods in the dorm. Plus, I have to pay for dining plan first year anyway, so it's a waste not to use it.
I have a food plan too, but I doubt I'll use it much, because the food on campus isn't that good. Though I'm not too picky, the selection is really small. In order to not lose the money for that plan though, right before expiration, I'll just go to that sushi place on campus and order probably an entire meal plan's worth of sushi...

I've been packing up shop as of late. Decided on what movies and books to bring. Still figuring out the decorations thing. Despite wanting to bring a ton of flags, people get offended easily, so I've just decided to bring a state flag. Anybody who argues against that I'll just call America-hating or something like that. You can tell my expectations are in the shitter for this thing, eh?

Looks like I fixed the scheduling problem I had initially with Calc 3, so I will be able to take it this year (yay). Most of these classes seem enjoyable at least, which is what I'm hoping for in order to compensate for the lack of social life.

Still know little to nothing on my roommate. He's Chinese, allergic to almost everything, and doesn't play video games. That's about all I know.

So yeah. Ten days. Time to figure out how to transport the enormous computer and all associated technologies.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 01:46   Link #205
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Returning for my second year right now (Doing some summer school first), but I just got out of the hospital for colitis (Spent 5-6 days there) a month ago and it may be Crohn's disease, meaning I could end up there again if it is. I'm feeling nervous, worn out physically, and worn out mentally since I never got a real break.

On top of it, I'm a math major and I'm doing senior year level classes this coming year. Oh boy....
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 14:03   Link #206
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
I can't believe I'll be graduating next year already. Real life, plz don't eat me alive. XD
Old 2010-08-12, 02:02   Link #207
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithfalath View Post
I can't believe I'll be graduating next year already. Real life, plz don't eat me alive. XD
Don't worry, real life is better than this fake school crap. I was lucky enough to land a pretty decent (albeit temporary) office job a while ago and I can say that working on something, and then seeing the progress of your work beyond getting a letter grade, really helped motivate me, as well as cope with a disastrous prom incident I had that happened in the same time frame. Certainly if I didn't have that work you would have seen a lot more angsty, pissed off comments from me on this site, so be glad I had that awesome job. XD

Though it's different for everybody. A lot of people in my school ended up crying when they graduated because "Oh boo hoo I won't see my friends again... except almost all the time on Facebook" I had more of the "Finally I get the hell out of here!" type of feeling. And then of course there were the "Whatever yo" type of guys.

Though of course being younger than you and just entering university, I'm not the best authority on this subject.
Old 2010-08-12, 02:20   Link #208
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Don't worry, real life is better than this fake school crap. I was lucky enough to land a pretty decent (albeit temporary) office job a while ago and I can say that working on something, and then seeing the progress of your work beyond getting a letter grade, really helped motivate me, as well as cope with a disastrous prom incident I had that happened in the same time frame. Certainly if I didn't have that work you would have seen a lot more angsty, pissed off comments from me on this site, so be glad I had that awesome job. XD

Though it's different for everybody. A lot of people in my school ended up crying when they graduated because "Oh boo hoo I won't see my friends again... except almost all the time on Facebook" I had more of the "Finally I get the hell out of here!" type of feeling. And then of course there were the "Whatever yo" type of guys.

Though of course being younger than you and just entering university, I'm not the best authority on this subject.
Like you hinted, it's different for everyone. I'll be going into my final year and I have a lot of question marks after graduating. Will I get another job that relates to what I went to school for soon? Will me and my girlfriend have to split? Will I join the military like I wanted? How will my loan situation play itself out?

Right now, school for me is limbo before the real world hits. I'm enjoying the time I'm spending with my friends and cherishing these moments I'm in school, taking the good with the bad...because once I've left I'll probably not have a unique experience like this again.

You're just entering school. Don't be surprised if your stance on how you're currently seeing something you've yet to truly experience, changes.

Oh and I hope you do know that talking to someone on Facebook, and hanging out with them in person in quite different.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 11:10   Link #209
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Right now, school for me is limbo before the real world hits. I'm enjoying the time I'm spending with my friends and cherishing these moments I'm in school, taking the good with the bad...because once I've left I'll probably not have a unique experience like this again.
That makes two of us~ Work is nothing like college, first time I had to work it felt like my days shortened by 1/6th or something, and while I don't mind working (as long as I get paid for it), studying is nowhere near as tiresome.
Old 2010-08-12, 11:18   Link #210
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Because I spent about eight years working before starting school, I think my perception on things are slightly different than most.

School is gonna feel really weird, mostly I think due to all the work I'll have to do outside of school. I loathe homework. At least at a nine-to-fiver, once you punch out, it's over until tomorrow.

But it's for a good cause--you know, putting moar money in my pocket and all that--I'll be able to tough it out and churn out a 4.0 GPA so UC Berkeley lets me in without complaint.
Old 2010-08-12, 15:06   Link #211
yoropa
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Oh and I hope you do know that talking to someone on Facebook, and hanging out with them in person in quite different.
Yes, but these people ended up crying as if the other person was dying. Maybe I'm not emotionally attached enough to people in general to understand this, but I find it silly to waste tears over somebody you still will see for the next three months of your summer break, and then on Thanksgiving break, and then on Christmas break, etc. especially if you can always just message them with a couple of clicks to find out how they've been.
Old 2010-08-18, 15:46   Link #212
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Because I spent about eight years working before starting school, I think my perception on things are slightly different than most.

School is gonna feel really weird, mostly I think due to all the work I'll have to do outside of school. I loathe homework. At least at a nine-to-fiver, once you punch out, it's over until tomorrow.

But it's for a good cause--you know, putting moar money in my pocket and all that--I'll be able to tough it out and churn out a 4.0 GPA so UC Berkeley lets me in without complaint.
Unfortunately, for a lot of people, 9 to 5 actually means something like 7 to 8 if you take commute into consideration.

Oh yeah, new USNews college rankings are out. Some pretty big surprises actually.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 15:58   Link #213
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I just finished my Biology 102 class for the summer; took the final this morning, so as of now I'm officially done with the class and waiting for when the grades are posted to see if I passed or not. After that, I move back into my dorms on August 29th and start class on September 1st. Going to be interesting, seeing what my sophmore year will be like compared to my freshman year and summer courses.
Old 2010-08-18, 17:39   Link #214
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I just finished the pre-requisites for the ADN programs in SoCal. What's lame is that I can only apply for Spring 2011 and beyond and NOT this coming fall because applications for fall was in spring (I couldn't apply then because I didn't finish the classes yet).

Basically I lose out on getting in a semester earlier but it's not all that bad, I'm just taking transferable classes required for my Bachelors.

I was hoping to boast to my older brother that I got into the ADN program earlier, but it looks like I'll get in same time he did back then or a semester or two later =/.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 17:21   Link #215
yoropa
Director

So I'm in college now.
And I already hate it.
And classes haven't even started yet.

All the friends I made are druggies and alcoholics. Most of the time I can't hang out with them because they normally party, and I'm uncomfortable around those substances. The ones that don't are international students with no cell phone, making it near impossible to contact them. There's a girl I met that I really liked (she was extremely sweet), but I can't find her (also international student).

My roommate fucked up and so we both are being charged $80. I'm forcing him to pay my tab because I literally had no involvement in his stupidity. If he doesn't pay I'll be requesting a new room.

Oh, my computer broke. It's over four years old at this point. Parents wouldn't believe me when I said it needed replacing. I'm running at minimal interface. This means all I can't do any of the things I normally do, like program or run 3D apps or watch videos (killing me), until I get a new computer, which I won't be able to for a while thanks to me already having to pay for this school (plus that $80 if my roommate doesn't do anything).

I love the city I'm in though. I like talking midnight walks and looking at the statues and thinking. It's at least somewhat calming.

My floor is almost entirely composed of Chinese internationals. Except these ones are dicks. They keep glaring at me when I walk by. I don't know why. I never talked to them before. Heck I tried even to introduce myself and extend an arm to shake and they still glare. I know enough of China to know that they shake hands there, so those guys can all go fuck themselves. Seriously.

In fact a lot of people I've met seemed to hate me after hearing my name. Mostly white people. Thanks to that, I don't have any white American friends right now, because all the ones I've met hated me.

So parties are going about. I'm alone in my room. Have been for hours. Classes need to start soon. I'm getting bored. Which is depressing me. Which is actually starting to make me angry.

I may just go get antidepressants, despite my hatred of medicine, fuck it.

So I hope (and wish) that everybody else on here is having a better time. Nobody deserves this.
Old 2010-08-29, 17:37   Link #216
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
So I'm in college now.
And I already hate it.
And classes haven't even started yet.

All the friends I made are druggies and alcoholics. Most of the time I can't hang out with them because they normally party, and I'm uncomfortable around those substances. The ones that don't are international students with no cell phone, making it near impossible to contact them. There's a girl I met that I really liked (she was extremely sweet), but I can't find her (also international student).
That isn't going to change, even in the working world, they are everywhere. Trust me the world is f**ked up.

If you're living in a dorm move out quickly, it is the worst thing you could do, secondly college is just like school, some people will be nice, but hanging out with them is bad idea, they are only useful if you need some notes or resources.
Don't not limit yourself to the college, go and find ourself a hobby, part-time job and you'll make pretty quickly outside the college.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 18:42   Link #217
yoropa
Director

I realize that no matter where I go I won't fit in and that the world is full of douchebags and that I myself am a douchebag.

Going off campus isn't possible. I have no driver's license. No way I could commute. Not possible.

Took a walk for an hour in hopes of maybe running into somebody I met that I was friendly with. Didn't happen.

There's a Chinese birthday party going on outside my dorm. Everybody seems really happy... I have a birthday cake in my fridge. I got it for my Korean friend because it was his first week in the US as well as his birthday, but I couldn't run into him due to lack of contacts. A part of me says to be nice and give them the cake, maybe even make friends, but another part of me says to just do nothing and not to waste the cake. I'm thoroughly conflicted, but chances are I won't be giving a cake...

I need to find the place on campus that gives antidepressants.
Old 2010-08-29, 22:54   Link #218
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Welcome to college.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 23:02   Link #219
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Me.. Not anymore.. Graduated 3 years ago.. This year I'm gonna apply for master degree..
I have Bachelor of Education / English.. working as teacher atm..
Old 2010-08-30, 00:51   Link #220
LMF

Me? Well, I'm almost done with community college. Take me a while since I have no money for books and taking two to three classes. But I got overconfient in the spring semester. But, I'm pursuing my dream of becoming a police officer.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote