AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-12, 01:35   Link #201
whitecloud

Kancolle versus arpeggio...kekeke
Old 2013-12-14, 09:50   Link #202
Birdway
Banned

http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51421476.html

Shimakaze figma.

Last edited by Birdway; 2013-12-14 at 10:48.
Old 2013-12-16, 02:17   Link #203
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^
Welp, that's... the one who also made some comics of Touma and his harem, right?
And I also remember that Minoru Kawakami himself is also a fan of KanColle.

Anyway, consider this picked up.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-12-16, 05:55   Link #204
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^
Welp, that's... the one who also made some comics of Touma and his harem, right?
And I also remember that Minoru Kawakami himself is also a fan of KanColle.

Anyway, consider this picked up.
A-yup. Same guy.

Excuse me as I clamor to that guy to include the rest of the BBs in the race for Admiral's heart.

Also, I just realized I accidentally bought the same anthology when I already had it previously... Not that I would know anyone in my area to give it to though, I'd give it for free if I could.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2013-12-17, 13:14   Link #205
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There's a question I'd like to ask my fellow anime fans, and this thread seems like a good one to ask it in.

What exactly is Kantai Collection? I've noticed in my fairly regular anime image searches that this is incredibly popular. General searches for "yuri" increasingly brings up a lot of girls connected to this property (though there's such a variety in the girls it brings up that I'm wondering if this is the next Saki or something )

It's a bit disconcerting for a big anime fan like myself to know virtually nothing about something that appears to be the "next big thing" in anime. So any info that others can provide here would be much-appreciated.
Old 2013-12-17, 13:22   Link #206
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What exactly is Kantai Collection? I've noticed in my fairly regular anime image searches that this is incredibly popular. General searches for "yuri" increasingly brings up a lot of girls connected to this property (though there's such a variety in the girls it brings up that I'm wondering if this is the next Saki or something )
Kantai Collection is basically a browser game involving moe anthropomorphic version of naval warships from the Pacific War (and pretty much like Arpeggio, since they are "she", there are only girls in there... also for "business/practical" reasons).
The whole point of the game is to manage your fleet as the admiral, by making expeditions/sorties and tune your ships with modernization and what not.

You don't really have any active role during battle, as the combat mechanics are determined by your ships stats, and a lot of RNG at work. Suffice to say, the fleet composition, supply and equipments are very important, which you have full control of it before sortie.

The primary reason for such popularity is that you have a plethora of seiyuu at work (mainly: Toyama Nao, Fujita Saki, Ayane Sakura, Iguchi Yuuka, etc), as well as lots of colorful characters that are hardly clones of each other.
The staff also replicated some real stuff from the pacific war, even putting nods/jokes about that so it also attract military (or rather navy) otaku.
quick example: Kaga, the 1st division aircraft carrier, doesn't like Shoukaku and Zuikaku from the 5th division, because these 2 weren't present during the Battle of Midway, in which Kaga, Akagi, Souryuu and Hiryuu sunk. Afterwards, the 5th division inherited the 1st division title.

Another important point is that, should a ship is sunk, similarly to Fire Emblem series, you -cannot- retrieve her, and there is no way to revive them. Due to their personalities and that important matter, the game naturally make players care about their ships.

Adding the fact the game is easy to grasp (easy control without the need of babysitting a smartphone every 5-10 minutes) along with a big collection to get with little to no paid content requirement, you have a very successful formula.

It pretty much is the current major trend to the point it reaches Touhou's popularity, hence why you see it nearly everywhere. For instance, Googling a japanese warship will most likely give you a kancolle image result pretty quickly.
The funniest part would be the aftermath of c85, as there are just tons of kancolle centred doujinshi planned for it, most notably on Shimakaze.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-12-17 at 13:46.
Old 2013-12-17, 13:37   Link #207
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

Another important point is that, should a ship is sunk, similarly to Fire Emblem series, you -cannot- retrieve her, and there is no way to revive them. Due to their personalities and that important matter, the game naturally make players care about their ships.
Ballsy move. I'm glad you added this bit in because it does help to explain why players would get attached to their ships.

In any event, thanks for your thorough answer!

It makes me wonder what the anime of this will be like though. As in... who will be the lead character commanding these anthropomorphic ships? Or will it be more like Strike Witches, I wonder?
Old 2013-12-17, 13:41   Link #208
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It makes me wonder what the anime of this will be like though. As in... who will be the lead character commanding these anthropomorphic ships? Or will it be more like Strike Witches, I wonder?
Assuming what they did with the manga and the clues thus far, they will most likely put the role of the admiral in the background (most likely a faceless officier, like the 765 production director in Imas).

They already confirmed they will focus on Fubuki, who was actually portrayed as the "main heroine" in the game (or rather as a poster girl, because let's be frank, her popularity crumbled in comparison to Shimakaze, Tenryuu and Kongou).
So she will most likely be a new destroyer recruit at the imperial navy and will witness the odd life of a warship.

If anyone who didn't play the game is curious about this, reading a bit the 4koma would probably give a good idea how it will look like.
That said, it doesn't mean the anime will follow this SoL structure and it might be more combat oriented, a la Strike Witches.
Old 2013-12-17, 15:00   Link #209
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Assuming what they did with the manga and the clues thus far, they will most likely put the role of the admiral in the background (most likely a faceless officier, like the 765 production director in Imas).

They already confirmed they will focus on Fubuki, who was actually portrayed as the "main heroine" in the game (or rather as a poster girl, because let's be frank, her popularity crumbled in comparison to Shimakaze, Tenryuu and Kongou).
And Tatsuta, and Kaga, and Akagi, and Atago, and all the Akatsuki sisters

Anyway, I too wish to thank you for the detailed explanation. It really shows the series' popularity is no accident.
Old 2013-12-17, 22:53   Link #210
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The funniest part would be the aftermath of c85, as there are just tons of kancolle centred doujinshi planned for it, most notably on Shimakaze.

Well, the popularity of "HEY! TEITOKU!" on /a/ is an obvious sign of her fame amongst the kanmusu.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-12-19, 01:01   Link #211
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

Well, the popularity of "HEY! TEITOKU!" on /a/ is an obvious sign of her fame amongst the kanmusu.
Not to mention she's being voiced by a certain Karen Kujo desu...
Old 2013-12-19, 01:27   Link #212
tsunade666

It's Kongou enough said XD
Old 2013-12-19, 05:29   Link #213
Seitsuki
Onee!

I keep seeing the Touhou comparisons popping up but I have to ask, how long is this likely to endure? Touhou rose up with terrible art, no VAs; just amazing characters, gameplay and music carrying it through. If you take out Kancolle's moe appeal, how much is left--and not just for the history buffs? Is it likely to still be highly relevant almost a decade later?
Old 2013-12-19, 05:52   Link #214
CBredbeard
Banned

As much as Touhou has taken off in significant part because of it's fandom, ZUN laid alot of ground work in terms of story-line, setting, and characterization. The characters in Kancolle don't actually interact with one another. The story-line is non-existent. The setting is basically our world.

Fans are hard at work filling in the gaps, fleshing out and experimenting with the setting, but the developer has to introduce new characters, treat them as more than a mere collectible, and expand the setting.
Old 2013-12-19, 06:13   Link #215
tsunade666

characterization in touhou? last time I heard/played the problem they solve and ended up in having a tea. seriously, there isn't much to story in touhou too and the art work at the first games are crappy but it eventually become smooth but the one that will drive me crazy on playing is is the BGM and that rainbow colored danmaku battle. It still worth playing for just how crazy one can play in lunatic be.

i haven't played kancolle because its plainly japanese and it has harder gameplay than touhou but from the manga and 4-coma that I read. The fans give colors and character to the character though it looks like the character itself has already a set of personality so its easy to expand it.
Old 2013-12-19, 06:46   Link #216
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
characterization in touhou? last time I heard/played the problem they solve and ended up in having a tea. seriously, there isn't much to story in touhou too and the art work at the first games are crappy but it eventually become smooth but the one that will drive me crazy on playing is is the BGM and that rainbow colored danmaku battle. It still worth playing for just how crazy one can play in lunatic be.
Reimu's smack talk prior to a stage and a spellcard battle is legendary. It's during these brief introductions that a character comes into their own. Naturally, some thing is left to be desired for characters that only have brief appearances, but recurring characters like Suika are well established.

The Touhou Fandom also has the uncanny ability to take the smallest detail, the most minute characteristic and run with it for a very long time...

Story-wise, there is story. The characters' backgrounds and motivations are revealed and sometimes explored quite thoroughly. It also helps that many of the characters in Touhou are based on real-life people or mythology.

Quote:
i haven't played kancolle because its plainly japanese and it has harder gameplay than touhou but from the manga and 4-coma that I read. The fans give colors and character to the character though it looks like the character itself has already a set of personality so its easy to expand it.
Fans are doing a great job with what they have to work with, but if ZUN didn't crank out a new game every 1-2 years that added to the character roster and more importantly to the setting, people would lose interest.

I'd say Kancolle has two things going for it.

1.) The Admiral who can be anyone or possibly even multiple people. Probably is male, but doesn't have to be. Can be old, young, short, tall, human, not human. Can lead a fleet of hundreds or one. Can be a parent, a romantic interest, a butt-monkey, or just a bare knuckle authority figure.

Best part is most people that play the game know that they aren't the only admiral. The players interact with one another offering advice and tips and share their frustrations and successes with one another. So if the admiral were to ever officially be portrayed, it probably wouldn't be considered to be wrong so long as he or she is not THE admiral.

And

2.) Long term longevity, there are always the navies from other countries.
Old 2013-12-19, 19:28   Link #217
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Ah yes, a Kantai Colle I can get into.

There must be Yamato! If only just to hear Ayana as a Yamato Nadeshiko, it will be worth it. <3
Old 2013-12-20, 06:57   Link #218
BaronNoir

I have a very silly question, but who exactly the ''girl ships'' are fighting/will be fighting ?

The USN ?
Old 2013-12-20, 08:10   Link #219
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
I have a very silly question, but who exactly the ''girl ships'' are fighting/will be fighting ?

The USN ?
They're fighting with monster girls.
Old 2013-12-20, 08:41   Link #220
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
They're fighting with monster girls.
And the perverted admirals out there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Closed Thread

Tags
ship girls