AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-16, 03:01   Link #201
adriankhoo153

Who is top of Sengoku? Dofl getting direct order from the Gorousei? But why Sengoku being overwrite?
Old 2010-04-16, 03:02   Link #202
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Nami will probably bruise him heavily for his foolishness.
I highly doubt it. Other than Sanji, and Ussop, most of the strawhat crew have carried the burden of heavy loss and death. If anything they're probably the only people in the position to snap him back, if he goes through an emo period.
Old 2010-04-16, 04:28   Link #203
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
I thought Golden Week was the last week of April (April 29th through May 5th). Are we sure that there is no chapter next week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Nami will probably bruise him heavily for his foolishness.
Nami might be hard to read about this. She was the member of the crew that questioned Luffy about his decision to keep moving forward after it was revealed about Ace's Vivre Card was burning.

It was pretty interesting how the Strong World movie again had Nami being rescued. I've read some summaries. Nami has some interesting moments that I wont go into here.

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2010-04-16 at 05:39.
Old 2010-04-16, 04:33   Link #204
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
I thought Golden Week was the last week of April (April 29th through May 5th). Are we sure that there is no chapter next week?
There is a chapter next week, there isn't one the following week. (April 25 - May 1)
Old 2010-04-16, 06:27   Link #205
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I laughed hard at Brownbeard.Wonder if he is a big figure or just a random pirate hiding behind the "beard" name lol.
Old 2010-04-16, 08:16   Link #206
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
I laughed hard at Brownbeard.Wonder if he is a big figure or just a random pirate hiding behind the "beard" name lol.
He might be just a an example of fall of Whitbeards empire and how chaos is taking over at New World.

He had a unique laugh and pretty detailed design so we might meet him again at New World.
Old 2010-04-16, 11:32   Link #207
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

He's a New World Pirate, so you can bet he'll be fairly strong. I can bet the weak pirates wouldn't last very long out there in the NW. I was hoping we'd get reaction to WB's death by Kaidou & "Big Mom" I really wanna see those 2. I also hope we get to see the Blackbeard Pirates unleashing hell in the NW. You can bet he'll leave a trail of destruction in his path. I also, wanna see if San Juan Wolf is indeed his ship.
Old 2010-04-16, 11:58   Link #208
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
He might be just a an example of fall of Whitbeards empire and how chaos is taking over at New World.

He had a unique laugh and pretty detailed design so we might meet him again at New World.
Foxy also had a unique design and laugh, and we saw how important he was....

I am kind of expecting Brownbeard to be fodder for one of the Strawhats (Zoro, most likely), because he is probably simply representing the current unrest in the world, but I doubt he is anyone actually important...but I do kind of hope to be proven wrong .
Old 2010-04-16, 12:05   Link #209
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Since Moria suspected Sengoku initially, the Kong theory cannot be dismissed simply because he is a marine and Doflamingo is a pirate.
Moria could've thought that Sengoku was given an order on behalf of the WG, which in turn led him to order Doflamingo to have him eliminated. Doflamingo would have to comply with Sengoku's command in this case. However, Doflamingo stated that it was the "higher ups" that directly gave him the order, so that rules out any marine.
Old 2010-04-16, 13:11   Link #210
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
I thought when a pirate is raised to Shichibukai status, his bounty is erased? And besides, I thought Moria would be smart enough to run, using his body switch technique. Maybe Moria's faking to get info.
Response
You could be right. My thought process was if someone higher within the WG wanted him dead for his failures that meant his Shichibuakai Status was revoked right away. I mean once there are revoked I figure they go back to being pirates status and get there bounty back. This is the first time I have ever seen them kill a Shichibuakai for failing.
Old 2010-04-16, 13:45   Link #211
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

He's killing Moria so they can say he died defending the government, as opposed to going back to being a criminal.
Old 2010-04-16, 14:16   Link #212
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Moria could've thought that Sengoku was given an order on behalf of the WG, which in turn led him to order Doflamingo to have him eliminated. Doflamingo would have to comply with Sengoku's command in this case. However, Doflamingo stated that it was the "higher ups" that directly gave him the order, so that rules out any marine.
And that still doesn't rule out Kong (what with him supposedly being retired, or at least obviously not in the position he had before).

Frankly, MarvelB has the strongest case against the "higher up" not potentially being Kong, but since Marvel also thinks DoFlamingo is talking in quasi-third person we can see how his mind wanders .
Old 2010-04-16, 14:53   Link #213
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
My, my, my. Luffy being 21 is just an example, no one really knows if/how long the time skip would be...just Oda himself.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with you again. Time skips aren't just used to save stories. People just commonly see them that way since those stories are the most read. I'm a big fan of them myself, I like watching a character physically grow up and not just experience hundreds of chapters within a few months/a year.

A simple example of some good time skipping is Bakuman. That's one of my favourite mangas right now, and within...um...I think it's 80ish chapters they've managed to span across 4 years. The characters grow accordingly and are able to experience different events as they themselves get older, and are able to have more effective/sensible flashbacks. Another story where I enjoyed the pacing/flow of time is Honey and Clover, it's been a while now since I've watched it but a fair amount of time passed in that one as well.

Back on topic though, I'm fine with it either way. I would admit to enjoying it a little more if Luffy did gain a fair bit more on the age end of things before obtaining One Piece. As fun as he is, I find people like Shanks/WB etc. much more interesting simply because they went from being like Luffy to the legends they are now. Being able to look back on things the way they do would be quite fun I'd think.
i get your point of the charcters growing and wanting to see that but, IMO OP is about Luffy's journy and the reason it's so intresting is that he is a teenager who is seeing the world in a kids eyes. all the things that he sees make the story what it is. his almost naivety about the world makes the story intresting for me, and i think a lot of others as well.

if there is a time-skip of however many years he's gonna be a grown up. not necceserly an experienced adult but an adult non the less. and an adult seeing the world and a teenager seeing the world are different things. he still may not know things but, the story about an 17 year old on a journy and a 18+ are two very different ways of looking at things. the humour has to change to a certain degree as well as the outlook of the character. it may not feel like it but to me it's different.

bakuman is a good example but, it had skips from the start. not one after 500+ chapters. as for H&C i have not read it.

experience is good and i do want to see that air about Luffy that WB and Shanks have. i like that. but, at the end when he has OP and it's years later and we see his crew.
Old 2010-04-16, 15:12   Link #214
hero147

Luffy's never going to grow up. In the long run, I doubt the death of Ace would significantly change Luffy's personality. Even before Ace's death, Luffy was aware that shit happens and people die. And plus, there have been countless parallels between Roger and Luffy in their personalities. I doubt Oda would make it all out to waste.
Old 2010-04-16, 15:17   Link #215
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
Luffy's never going to grow up. In the long run, I doubt the death of Ace would significantly change Luffy's personality. Even before Ace's death, Luffy was aware that shit happens and people die. And plus, there have been countless parallels between Roger and Luffy in their personalities. I doubt Oda would make it all out to waste.
I'm sure he will change quite a bit, without completely changing. All the sacrifices he made, all the hardship he endured, he made to the finishing line, saved save..and then Ace dies infront of him. Luffy will be a broken man after he wakes up.
Old 2010-04-16, 15:40   Link #216
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
he has to grow up. and AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER and i repeate may not be fact but, this is as far as i can remember there was no death before Ace and WB. actully there was GM and i as well as luffy cried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
I'm sure he will change quite a bit, without completely changing. All the sacrifices he made, all the hardship he endured, he made to the finishing line, saved save..and then Ace dies infront of him. Luffy will be a broken man after he wakes up.
i don't think he will necceserly a broken man but, he will need to be strong as someone he loves and would die for them, died right in front of him to save Luffy's life.

he's gonna realise that and that's when he's gonna need his crew.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:23   Link #217
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

After all these years, I think it's safe to say that Luffy's personality at the end of the manga is going to be roughly the same as it was at the start of the manga.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:53   Link #218
marvelB

Quote:
Foxy also had a unique design and laugh, and we saw how important he was....

I am kind of expecting Brownbeard to be fodder for one of the Strawhats (Zoro, most likely), because he is probably simply representing the current unrest in the world, but I doubt he is anyone actually important...but I do kind of hope to be proven wrong .

Foxy may have little relevence to the story (for the time being), but that still doesn't change the fact that he gave Luffy one of his roughest fights in the series by far. In my eyes, he's the ultimate proof that you can't underestimate a pirate with a low bounty.

As for Brownbeard..... I actually wouldn't rule out the possibility of one of the other Supernovas being the one to take him down. Remember, since they're technically all racing to the throne, those guys still have room for improvement, as well (particularly Kidd and Law, who stand out from the rest of the non-SH rookies). Therefore, it's definitely a good bet they'll all have their fair share of run-ins with the silver medalists, as well......

Quote:
Frankly, MarvelB has the strongest case against the "higher up" not potentially being Kong, but since Marvel also thinks DoFlamingo is talking in quasi-third person we can see how his mind wanders .

Hey, how do we know for sure that Dofla doesn't consider himself to be above the WG? We've literally seen him playing around with VAs without a care in the world during that marine meeting (as well as running slave auctions at Sabaody whose regular customers are government higher-ups), so he clearly doesn't fear the WG. Heck, his constant talks about the "New Age" could even be taken to mean that he intends to take over the government himself at some point......

But still, if he's not referring to himself, he could definitely be referring to some government big-shot (doesn't necessarily have to be any of the elder stars, either). I already pointed out Spandine being a possibility (who seems to have gained quite a high status thanks to the Ohara incident), but it may as well be anyone within the upper echelon of the government (barring maybe the world nobles, for reasons I already pointed out earlier in the thread). Again, Kong is a possibility too, but that depends on whether or not he's actually retired......
Old 2010-04-16, 17:14   Link #219
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i get your point of the charcters growing and wanting to see that but, IMO OP is about Luffy's journy and the reason it's so intresting is that he is a teenager who is seeing the world in a kids eyes. all the things that he sees make the story what it is. his almost naivety about the world makes the story intresting for me, and i think a lot of others as well.

if there is a time-skip of however many years he's gonna be a grown up. not necceserly an experienced adult but an adult non the less. and an adult seeing the world and a teenager seeing the world are different things. he still may not know things but, the story about an 17 year old on a journy and a 18+ are two very different ways of looking at things. the humour has to change to a certain degree as well as the outlook of the character. it may not feel like it but to me it's different.

bakuman is a good example but, it had skips from the start. not one after 500+ chapters. as for H&C i have not read it.

experience is good and i do want to see that air about Luffy that WB and Shanks have. i like that. but, at the end when he has OP and it's years later and we see his crew.
Lol sure enough it is an adventure following Luffy, but I wouldn't generalize his point of view like that.

I'm firmly on the boat that says Luffy could be 30 and still act the same way. Which is why I'm all for him skipping a few years, since personality wise he's still going to be Luffy. Just in the proper age group to become Pirate King IMO.
Old 2010-04-16, 18:01   Link #220
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Foxy may have little relevence to the story (for the time being), but that still doesn't change the fact that he gave Luffy one of his roughest fights in the series by far. In my eyes, he's the ultimate proof that you can't underestimate a pirate with a low bounty.
I also share a great appreciation for Foxy. But, it regards to comments concerning Brownbeard, I expect an eventual Brownbeard arc, if there is one, to be similar to Foxy's. Specifically, despite Foxy's fight, the arc was only 10-15 chapters long, and then it was over and done with. If there is a Brownbeard arc, it will follow a similar patter.
Closed Thread