Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-04-13, 20:57   Link #201
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
How "early" is area progression to the Path of Sacrifice? That location has the armor I want to be my main gear for my first character.
So... anyone have an idea yet?
Old 2016-04-13, 21:29   Link #202
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
So... anyone have an idea yet?
I think it's technically in the first quarter. It's hard to tell though, since I've only just gotten past the Abyss Watchers. TBH I've only killed (I think) 4 bosses thus far so I'm not sure how far into the game I am. Not very far, since I've kinda been avoiding that one witch boss that splits into 5 halfway through the fight.
Old 2016-04-13, 21:31   Link #203
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, if that's the case, I'm glad to hear it. Thus far the Fallen Knight armor is the only one that appeals to me besides the Elite Knight and Faraam Armors, and I've already done both of those as my main armors in DS1 and DS2 for my first characters.
Old 2016-04-13, 22:03   Link #204
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, if that's the case, I'm glad to hear it. Thus far the Fallen Knight armor is the only one that appeals to me besides the Elite Knight and Faraam Armors, and I've already done both of those as my main armors in DS1 and DS2 for my first characters.
Aside from the hat, the Abyss Watcher armor is pretty cool, too. Expensive, but I like it. The cape is cool. Fallen Knight set is pretty awesome as well, it's less dark-toned than it is raggedy, like whoever wore it before you did fought hard battles and walked many miles.
Old 2016-04-13, 22:19   Link #205
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I've yet to find a good shot of that armor. What's it look like?
Old 2016-04-13, 23:14   Link #206
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Bloodborne's story was infinitely more depressing and bleak in comparison though. I suppose it balances out.
Wait what...Bloodborne world is more bleak than Souls? Bloodborne at the very least you can do the "if you can't beat the Lovecraftian horror, BECOME the Lovecraftian horror route"

Souls OTOH is just murdering a bunch of bosses for kicks and which ultimately makes absolutely no difference at all...like literally nothing is different except you just killed a bunch of people who weren't even doing much
Old 2016-04-13, 23:27   Link #207
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

In Dark Souls you're not watching pretty much every single person's sanity and lives deteriorate over the course of the game. One or two, yes, like Solaire and Lucatiel. But there are others holding on, keeping up with the world as the cycle comes to its conclusion.

You're not finding whores in basements with their minds destroyed over giving birth to eldritch horrors, you're not sending children off to be experimented on or get eaten by beasts, you're not watching family members kill themselves out of grief, etc. In Bloodborne, you pretty much can't do anything for anyone. But in Dark Souls? Your endgame can still improve something, and you can still do something for people here in there, like rescuing Solaire and helping him achieve his desire, or helping Lucatiel cling onto that last hope to retain her sense of self, etc.

Dark Souls is just a little bit better for its inhabitants in comparison. Not by a whole lot, but it's there...
Old 2016-04-14, 00:43   Link #208
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ True enough, although Bloodborne was much better thought-out in that area.

Souls games have some people to chat and connect with, but it's never too deep. They are side characters who offer a piece of advice or just add some flavor in the relatively empty Souls world, for the most part.

Bloodborne had a whole lot more NPCs to discover, in a much more closely-knit relationship, who directly affect your game. They give out actual quests (and rewards) and they can't help but be more involved, due to the game's setting.

That being said, what Souls games lack in characters, they more than make up in areas; Bloodborne was mostly town/woods/crypts, while Souls had mountain areas, underground lakes, a distinctly different tower and castle, etc.

Anyway, point is, they both have something they're better at, but I like them all just as much.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 03:21   Link #209
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I've yet to find a good shot of that armor. What's it look like?
It's called the Undead Legion set. The hat's kinda meh IMO, but the rest of it is nice. It's also lightweight. It's similar in functionality to the Alva set from Dark Souls 2 in that it's decently protective but lighter weight than the other heavy armor sets.

You get it after you beat the Undead Watchers boss fight by buying it from the Shrine Handmaid.
Old 2016-04-14, 16:36   Link #210
Twi

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-04-14, 18:47   Link #211
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
5 hours after having my butt kicked all over the place I just beat Vordt. Someone tell me it's possible to level up at bonfires instead of going back to Firelink Shrine later in the game.
Just Firelink, afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I just installed the game and while my laptop's GPU (nvidia Geforce 840m) isn't exactly great I've looked up some videos where the game seems to be playable. However, I seem to be having the issue where I have completely unplayable fps even on the lowest settings, does anyone know how I can fix this?

EDIT: Does anyone know if installing newer drivers will help my problem?

EDIT 2: Installing a new driver seems to have made the game playable (more or less) for me however I crashed right after opening the door after the fight with Iudex Gundyr.
Turn Lighting down to Low, if it isn't already. That fixes a lot of crashes.

I completed the Catacombs last night, holy shit that place sucked. It was like crossing the original Catacombs and Sens Funhouse into one place. On the plus I found the area beneath the Catacombs, such nostalgia, much repressed memories.

Also, wishing I had gotten the Watchers Swords instead of Artorias despite the fact that this build is more a strength based Pyromaner.
Old 2016-04-14, 21:16   Link #212
Raviel

So far after adjusting my virtual memory I haven't had any "low memory" related crashes, just got into Farron Keep.

That said, I wonder whose idea was it to put 2 massive crabs in the swamp at the Road of Sacrifice

Also, the Crystal Sage is some of the greatest magic BS I have seen in ANY Souls game. That last phase was so annoying.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-15, 09:13   Link #213
Mr Hat and Clogs

Apparently there is a kinda 'sploit for getting the NPC summons into super mode to the point they can basically solo bosses. I made a new character to try it out to kill the Dancer at the start of the game.

Spoiler for Method:

This supposedly works with every NPC summon, and will also probably be fixed in calibrations 1.04 which is out on the 18th.
Old 2016-04-16, 01:22   Link #214
Raviel

I would like to thank From Soft for taking the time to make sure that we still get a Crystal Lizard's drop regardless of how it dies when we close in on it
Old 2016-04-16, 21:53   Link #215
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Just Firelink, afaik.
Thanks. Turns out it won't be such a chore to go back everytime anymore since I noticed leveling has slowed down after SL35~.

Just reached the Catacombs myself and it looks to be a real maze. Been enjoying the various locales in the game so far, exception being the swamp. Ugh that place is so annoying.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 23:44   Link #216
Raviel

You'll eventually realize the catacombs are actually a lot smaller than they look once you unlock the shortcuts. Still that area is probably the place I've had the most trouble with so far, the skeletons are so annoying
Old 2016-04-17, 15:24   Link #217
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
You'll eventually realize the catacombs are actually a lot smaller than they look once you unlock the shortcuts. Still that area is probably the place I've had the most trouble with so far, the skeletons are so annoying
Words cannot express the hatred I have for those cloaked skeletons. Most annoying enemies I've ever encountered in the Souls series. Period.
Old 2016-04-17, 19:55   Link #218
Mr Hat and Clogs

Hah, wait until you get to Irythill of the Boreal Valley. You don't know annoying enemies until you go there. Enemies you can only see the eyes of until you're really close, that can also go completely invisible and untargetable and stalk you. Also the Rogue/Ninja enemies in Lothric and Archdragon Peak are Grade A Distilled bullshit annoying, especially with their habit of ambushing in packs, and a special mention to the ones in the Peak because they have a habit of parrying you exceptionally well and then proceed to chew your face off. Literally.
Old 2016-04-17, 20:20   Link #219
Akashin

I'll take invisible enemies, enemies with shields bigger than my entire body, anything; you name it. Just keep me away from those damn witches or whatever they are carrying brands of some kind in the Irythill Dungeon. They're probably right below Winter Lanterns for me.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-17, 21:00   Link #220
Mr Hat and Clogs

Those things are like Tonberries.