AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-10, 16:20   Link #201
Kakurin
大佐

It was certainly a strong start, although a couple of things were not thought out very well. One is as already mentioned above the train protocol. They take all these measures to make sure nobody in the train is infected, but they don't take any measures to make sure that there's no leftover zombie hanging on the train? The second thing is Ikoma defeating the virus, that was a bit, meh, over the top and not explained very well. Strange virus to go into remission in a second if it doesn't immediately reach the brain. Guess it's just one of these occurences where you have to shut off the brain and look at the fireworks.
Old 2016-04-10, 20:24   Link #202
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
It was certainly a strong start, although a couple of things were not thought out very well. One is as already mentioned above the train protocol. They take all these measures to make sure nobody in the train is infected, but they don't take any measures to make sure that there's no leftover zombie hanging on the train? The second thing is Ikoma defeating the virus, that was a bit, meh, over the top and not explained very well. Strange virus to go into remission in a second if it doesn't immediately reach the brain. Guess it's just one of these occurences where you have to shut off the brain and look at the fireworks.
Why nitpick how the virus works when zombie like monsters are already unrealistic? Just enjoy the ride. Its what I do with every mecha anime ever and I love my mech shows. Its amazing how often mecha defy the laws of physics.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 22:10   Link #203
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Most mecha violate the laws of physics by their very existence; enough that the writers often have to come up with some sort of Phlebotinum (Minovsky Particles, anyone?) to try to explain away some of those scientific lapses.

Frankly, my biggest nitpick has to be with the gate guards suddenly deciding to pick up the idiot ball. It wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't seen it done the right way not even 10 minutes earlier. What they should have done is have them be drinking or something. You never need an explanation for people getting drunk in situations where they shouldn't. Especially rednecks (speaking as one).

As for how what Ikoma did saved him, getting a logical explanation would be a bonus. It worked. Move along, and keep things consistent.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-04-10 at 22:23.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 04:58   Link #204
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET artist

New key visuals by Kadowaki:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Another magazine spread:
Images
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 05:27   Link #205
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-24 at 06:34.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 07:24   Link #206
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET artist

Here's another one, seems like Kadowaki really enjoy drawing the series:
Images
MyAnimeList
Old 2016-04-11, 07:45   Link #207
BluePhirePB

Quote:
Ya, that part puzzled me too. However, very strong opening episode so I'm totally willing to overlook that.
BluePhirePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 08:57   Link #208
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Very strong start i was glued to my screen this is definitely going to the top of my list.
Old 2016-04-11, 14:23   Link #209
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Finally got around to seeing the first episode and I enjoyed what a wild ride it was! Stunning, movie quality visuals. Great music. Great voice acting. There's some questionable logic in the plot, but either a) I could ignore it because I realize there's going to be a fair amount of "rule of cool" in this, or b) things will likely be explained in upcoming episodes.

Like the director, this has a lot of my favorite things in it and I wasn't disappointed. Now I only hope it can stay this good, if not get better.
Old 2016-04-11, 17:24   Link #210
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
That may very well be the first ever glamor shot of a steam engine's fireman.
Old 2016-04-11, 18:09   Link #211
Dual Blades
Moonlight Editor

Location: In the North where people ride polar bears and live in Igloos
Very strong and impactful start only thing that irked was how the defenses of the walled city states are. Only one wall seriously? At least AOT has 3 walls lol.
Old 2016-04-11, 18:46   Link #212
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Blades View Post
Very strong and impactful start only thing that irked was how the defenses of the walled city states are. Only one wall seriously? At least AOT has 3 walls lol.
AoT's giants are also giants. Kabaneri's Kabane are just zombies that are a bit faster and more durable than normal. If it'll keep an Olympic athlete out, it'll keep the Kabane out.
Old 2016-04-12, 07:41   Link #213
DemonneoPT

Quote:
(...) although a couple of things were not thought out very well. One is as already mentioned above the train protocol. They take all these measures to make sure nobody in the train is infected, but they don't take any measures to make sure that there's no leftover zombie hanging on the train?
I made the same critic before, however, after reading some comments i now think it has something to do with the train horn. Trains have their own bushi and their rifles, while incapable of killing kabane, have enough punch to knock them off. They're not going to just let kabane cling on until they reach a station, especially given how much damage they can inflict to the armor plating with their bare hands, so it's reasonable to expect that trains are responsible for making sure no kabane are still hanging on - if for no other reason than to prevent them from tearing the train apart.

- But what if they fail to clear the kabane?
A living person won't sound the horn when they arrive, train slows down to stop, bridge stays up, guards from the wall help snipe kabane off the side. End of problem.

- But what if they get overrun by the kabane?
A kabane won't sound the horn when they arrive, bridge stays up, guards watch the train take a swan dive into the ravine. End of problem.

So, i guess the Kabane using the horn is a new behavior trait never observed before. They are more intelligent than humans thought. This will probably be explored in the next episodes and be a key factor in the plot.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 07:52   Link #214
Kakurin
大佐

I don't want to harp on that issue longer than necessary, but sorry, that's a weak explanation. There's no way the people in the train can make sure from their slits that absolutely no zombie is hanging somewhere onto the train - no less if it's in the darkness of the night. The only way to make sure is to check from the outside. Given their meticulous physical examation of the train personnel after arrival it's rather mind-boggling that they would be happy without an outside check of the train. No need to look for excuses, it's just one of the cases of the staff going for style over substance. Because obviously having that train crash through the gate looks pretty dramatic.
Old 2016-04-12, 07:57   Link #215
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Considering that protocols, procedures and rules are oftentimes subject to shortcuts or even at times outright ignored for convenience or sometimes lack of capability to do so in the real world that has lead to a ton of otherwise avoidable industrial accidents, this is hardly the most severe example of rules negligence or operational incompetence seen anywhere.

Though yes, why they just let the second speeding train with an open gate while the first one was stopped before they opened the gate is strange, and a rather notable idiot ball.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 08:01   Link #216
DemonneoPT

Quote:
There's no way the people in the train can make sure from their slits that absolutely no zombie is hanging somewhere onto the train - no less if it's in the darkness of the night. .
It does not matter if it's dark because those zombies will not stay hidden and just attack like they always do. We even saw them punch trought the armor. That's how humans know they are still there. Well, it made sense to me, so i no longer find an issue with that situation. I'm sure this will be addressed again in the next episodes tho.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 08:12   Link #217
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Considering that protocols, procedures and rules are oftentimes subject to shortcuts or even at times outright ignored for convenience or sometimes lack of capability to do so in the real world that has lead to a ton of otherwise avoidable industrial accidents, this is hardly the most severe example of rules negligence or operational incompetence seen anywhere.
This would be more convincing had they not been neglectent of the protocols in the other direction during the physical check-up. They showed you that they are very paranoid about the zombie threat, preferring to just outright kill somebody suspicious rather than follow protocol and lock him up for observation first. Thus it's not really convincing to say that in this instance the gate guard simply was too lazy to follow protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
It does not matter if it's dark because those zombies will not stay hidden and just attack like they always do. We even saw them punch trought the armor. That's how humans know they are still there. Well, it made sense to me, so i no longer find an issue with that situation. I'm sure this will be addressed again in the next episodes tho.
Doesn't eliminate the possibility that a blown away zombie is hanging onto one of the railings on the train with only the speed of the train stopping it from climbing back up. But let's just leave it at that.
Old 2016-04-12, 09:41   Link #218
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I don't want to harp on that issue longer than necessary, but sorry, that's a weak explanation. There's no way the people in the train can make sure from their slits that absolutely no zombie is hanging somewhere onto the train - no less if it's in the darkness of the night. The only way to make sure is to check from the outside. Given their meticulous physical examation of the train personnel after arrival it's rather mind-boggling that they would be happy without an outside check of the train. No need to look for excuses, it's just one of the cases of the staff going for style over substance. Because obviously having that train crash through the gate looks pretty dramatic.
All they need to check their own cars is a slightly wider car every few cars that has rear- or forward-facing slits. And seeing them would arguably be easier at night, since their hearts and exposed veins glow in the dark.
Old 2016-04-12, 10:10   Link #219
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET artist

New key visual by Kadowaki. Seems like we'll have to deal with them everyday:
Images
MyAnimeList
Old 2016-04-12, 11:33   Link #220
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
I made the same critic before, however, after reading some comments i now think it has something to do with the train horn. Trains have their own bushi and their rifles, while incapable of killing kabane, have enough punch to knock them off. They're not going to just let kabane cling on until they reach a station, especially given how much damage they can inflict to the armor plating with their bare hands, so it's reasonable to expect that trains are responsible for making sure no kabane are still hanging on - if for no other reason than to prevent them from tearing the train apart.

- But what if they fail to clear the kabane?
A living person won't sound the horn when they arrive, train slows down to stop, bridge stays up, guards from the wall help snipe kabane off the side. End of problem.

- But what if they get overrun by the kabane?
A kabane won't sound the horn when they arrive, bridge stays up, guards watch the train take a swan dive into the ravine. End of problem.

So, i guess the Kabane using the horn is a new behavior trait never observed before. They are more intelligent than humans thought. This will probably be explored in the next episodes and be a key factor in the plot.
It looked to me one subject had showed some level of intelligence. That would be when Ikoma was expecting his prey to come through the front door following his blood, instead the kabane scaled the roof and jumped crashing though it to surprise him.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, zombie apocalypse