Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 16:15   Link #201
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Who do you call veterans? Those whose first anime was Dragon Ball and whose fandom started after 1995 and call themselves veterans or those from before?

I can say that I can be classified as a veteran, having started watching them while the average user of this forum was not even born. However, there is always someone who is in the hobby since way longer than us. In this forum, those are the likes of Vexx and Seiji-sensei.

But do YOU see them opening topics about how anime were much better when it was all about Astro Boy, Candy Candy and World's Masterpiece Theater? They are veterans I am okay with.

Those I am not okay with and DO stand against are those who whines a little too much and not even bother to look harder and find the little gems that they have missed while sitting on their benches and moaned about how times used to be better. Perhaps you would not see me so much if they did not cry so much.

Given the history of french anime fandom, I DO know what it is to be saturated with rubbish with the few hits (80s- early 90s) and I also know how it is when anime nearly fades out of television because of a ridiculous morale crusade from parents and local television creative lobbies (late 90s- early 2000s), where the ONLY anime we had gotten from 1997 to 2001 was f*cking Pokemon, and at that point, the airing of CCS in 2001 was a breath of fresh air.

And I pray that it will never happen to your area.
lol the only animes I recall my pathetic local television airing, were Heidi and a mecha series we used to call "Grandizer" (gonagai's) and I dont even know what its actually called in Japanese. I can only be thankful I had Disney works in my teenage years. At the time, I remember borrowing Guyver Bio something from a friend, and I still remember amongst the previews before the main feature started, there was that brief short scene of a very dark themed anime of a purple haired cyborg girl. Something that promised Ghost in the Shell (the movie) goodness. Also, something there's very thin chances poeple like me (anime rookies) will ever hear of. It would be nice if someone dug that one up and some other burried stuff I didn't stumple upon in my childhood, repolished it, and introduced me to it ......... Instead of the 5th remake of Se7en

I'll be fare though. You are absolutely right. In the economic state the world is currently going through, and given how different the audiance have become, and looking at already tried and failed examples, I may be asking too much ..
I rest my case heh ..
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 17:14   Link #202
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I really don't understand what all the argument are for retro vs modern anime after reading all the posts.

1. There are alot more anime produce every season now compare to 20-30 years ago.
Right.

Quote:

2. It is impossible to call something a classic unless it can stand against the flow of time, also it is possible to see how a certain anime influence the anime industry until at least 5-10 years from the said anime is aired.
Generally true, but there's already obvious examples of how the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has influenced the anime industry. The character designs of Angel Beats! are, in and of themselves, very notable here.

Quote:

3. Compare to 20 years ago, people appreciate anime differently.
That may be true.

Quote:

4. Compare to 20 years ago, the strategy of airing anime are very different.
Agreed.

Quote:

2. The original gundam is a classic, but if you watched it in 2010, you will found the plot boring as hell, but you cannot deny its classic status because it revolutionize the mecha anime genre.
I strongly disagree.

I never watched the original Gundam until about three years ago, IIRC. Many of the old classic animes I watched within the same timespan as I watched many of the more recent hit animes.

I found the original Gundam very interesting and rewarding. I loved the sincerity and general "no frills" approach in its story-telling, and how it rarely if ever took shortcuts. I felt that it did a great job of fleshing out most of its key characters, and giving everybody of note a distinct and often colorful personality.

Now, I also enjoyed Gundam Seed, and I will admit that Gundam Seed is much flashier and impressive at a visual level. But, this is a bit of a double-edged sword, imo. I personally found that Gundam Seed required suspension of disbelief a fair bit more than the original Gundam did.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed the original Mobile Suit Gundam as much as I did Gundam Seed.

Quote:

3. I believe that is the main point of my argument: people watch things differently 20-30 years ago. Char Aznable is probably the most popular character in the gundam franchise of all time. However, if you dissect his actions in the original trilogy, you will find that he is not so great.
If you dissect the actions of Lelouch Lamperouge, or Raito Yagami, or just about any highly popular modern anime character, you can find flaws with these highly regarded anime characters as well.

Characters aren't necessarily bad characters just because some of their actions are questionable.

Quote:

He has no political wisdom whatsoever and make plenty of stupid mistakes in his life that make little sense at all.
Conventional politics was rarely, if ever, Char's interest. His interest was primarily revenge on the Zabi family, and making a place in the universe for NewTypes. He was fairly consistent on both those marks, IIRC.

Quote:
People back in the days do not criticize character and plot flaws like Char.
The internet didn't exist back when Char first appeared on the scene. You never had message boards back then where people could debate anime characters on-line. People may very well have criticized character flaws back then, but we'd have no way of knowing for sure if they did or not.

Quote:

Audience nowadays, however, love to analyze (and over analyze) characters and if there are plot holes (similar to those related to Char)
A plot hole isn't just a character making a questionable decision, by the way. A plot hole is character inconsistency or a plot thread left hanging, or being outright contradicted.

If you're claiming that Char is the source of plot holes in the original Mobile Suit Gundam, then it would be good if you could specify just one such specific plot hole.

Quote:
will bash the show in pieces, thus it is alot more difficult to have a classic in modern time compare to 20-30 years ago.
I disagree. I find that people are just as forgiving of plot holes now as they ever were. Oh, they may bring up the plot holes, but it generally won't stop people from viewing a hit anime as "awesome" or "great" or a "classic" inspite of those plot holes.

Quote:

4. Back in the days, anime are much longer than it is nowadays. So it has the tendencies to drag with fillers (enemy of the week), but also have more time to develop its characters. In a filler episode back in the days, there may be 20 min of forgettable stuff and only 5 min of character development. After 50+ episodes, the character development adds up and the character become complete. When you think of the show 10 years later, you tend to forget the bad dragging part and only remember how good the character developed. Nowadays most anime are only 13/26 episodes and thus they do not have the luxury to take their time to complete their character, not to mention the bias that when you watch something for so long, you tend to grow and stick to the character even though you know the show has gone downhill.
There's some truth to this, but Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and Pokemon are still ongoing. Your statement is generally true of brand new anime of the last few years though, yes.

Personally, I don't mind filler when it comes with good, consistent character development. It's when the character development is very spotty that we run into problems, imo.

Quote:

For those who claim anime producers should make more remake, I believe they would be disappointed. Use LOGH as an example, it is a classic, but I believe it will be picked apart if it is aired nowadays. My basis is that Tytania is written from the same author from a similar time and aired in 2008 and it is a non-factor. Plotwise it is from the same author under the similar background so if Tytania cannot produce a stir in the 2000s, I doubt LOGH can be different significantly.
Look, the people who are suggesting remakes (including myself) are not necessarily saying that older pre-2000s anime are better than what we have today or recently. What I'm saying is that the great animes of past decades have a distinct character and feel compared to the great animes of today.

It's not that the great animes of recent times aren't great; it's that they're often great in different ways from the great animes of past decades. The pros and cons are often different, and this can make a difference for certain anime viewers (i.e. the cons of the modern greats may bother certain anime fans moreso than the cons of older greats).

Nobody is saying that these remakes should take the place of the modern Bakemonogataris or Durararas or any anime really; rather, that maybe they'd be a nice complimentary addition to what we already have.
Old 2010-06-09, 18:35   Link #203
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I strongly disagree.

I never watched the original Gundam until about three years ago, IIRC. Many of the old classic animes I watched within the same timespan as I watched many of the more recent hit animes.

I found the original Gundam very interesting and rewarding. I loved the sincerity and general "no frills" approach in its story-telling, and how it rarely if ever took shortcuts. I felt that it did a great job of fleshing out most of its key characters, and giving everybody of note a distinct and often colorful personality.

Now, I also enjoyed Gundam Seed, and I will admit that Gundam Seed is much flashier and impressive at a visual level. But, this is a bit of a double-edged sword, imo. I personally found that Gundam Seed required suspension of disbelief a fair bit more than the original Gundam did.

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed the original Mobile Suit Gundam as much as I did Gundam Seed.
Did you watch the original TV gundam (the one with 43 episode) or the three movie compilation? I like the three movie compilation but couldn't stand the 43 episode TV version. I believe the three movie compilation already tighten the plot compare to the TV version.

I think the plot of original TV gundam is moving way too slow. But that's the charm of old classic anime but TV gundam is too slow to my liking.

Quote:

If you dissect the actions of Lelouch Lamperouge, or Raito Yagami, or just about any highly popular modern anime character, you can find flaws with these highly regarded anime characters as well.

Characters aren't necessarily bad characters just because some of their actions are questionable.
Exactly my point. Characters like Lelouch was picked apart by modern audience, but Char did not get picked apart back in the days.

Quote:
The internet didn't exist back when Char first appeared on the scene. You never had message boards back then where people could debate anime characters on-line. People may very well have criticized character flaws back then, but we'd have no way of knowing for sure if they did or not.
Exactly my point. Because old classic anime don't need to go through the scrutiny of internet and message boards, audience are more likely to accept the character as the director imaged. Nowadays we love to go on message board and analyze characters. It is alot more difficult to make an "ideal" character in 2010 compare to 20-30 years ago.

Quote:

Conventional politics was rarely, if ever, Char's interest. His interest was primarily revenge on the Zabi family, and making a place in the universe for NewTypes. He was fairly consistent on both those marks, IIRC.

A plot hole isn't just a character making a questionable decision, by the way. A plot hole is character inconsistency or a plot thread left hanging, or being outright contradicted.

If you're claiming that Char is the source of plot holes in the original Mobile Suit Gundam, then it would be good if you could specify just one such specific plot hole.
I guess I should elaborate more on my previous post.

I am not saying Char contradict himself, but he contradict the image the director had on him. Char is known as a cool character in the gundam universe and audience take the director's image for granted. A character can hardly be called cool if he makes idiotic move, which is exactly what Char did (for his trap on Garma. When I first watched Gundam, I keep thinking killing Garma is the first part of a elaborate plan to get revenged to the Zabi. End up he kills Garma because he can. If Kycilia did not recall Char - an obvious forced plot to bring Char back to the stage, he would be out of the story).

The same can be said for Lelouch. He abandoned the BK to go for his sister at the end of S1. That is totally within his character (thus not a plot hole) but he was bashed on message board.

Quote:

I disagree. I find that people are just as forgiving of plot holes now as they ever were. Oh, they may bring up the plot holes, but it generally won't stop people from viewing a hit anime as "awesome" or "great" or a "classic" inspite of those plot holes.
Use Code Geass vs the original gundam trilogy as an example. I think both have equal amount of plot holes (zero requiem had been debate to death on the CG board, to me, ZR make as much sense as dropping axis on Earth), but the original gundam trilogy are more famed because people nowadays are less forgivable for plot holes.

Quote:

Look, the people who are suggesting remakes (including myself) are not necessarily saying that older pre-2000s anime are better than what we have today or recently. What I'm saying is that the great animes of past decades have a distinct character and feel compared to the great animes of today.

It's not that the great animes of recent times aren't great; it's that they're often great in different ways from the great animes of past decades. The pros and cons are often different, and this can make a difference for certain anime viewers (i.e. the cons of the modern greats may bother certain anime fans moreso than the cons of older greats).

Nobody is saying that these remakes should take the place of the modern Bakemonogataris or Durararas or any anime really; rather, that maybe they'd be a nice complimentary addition to what we already have.
I agree that anime back in the days are great in different ways. I guess the question is whether audience nowadays are willing to go through the weakness of classic anime (slower plot) in order to get the good stuff (character development).
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 06:55   Link #204
janipani

I hope in future Anime and Manga takes more liberated track what comes to art and writing style. What I mean by this, is that some stories just doesn't fit in with most recent art desings, but ares still used together, because anime has to look recent, to be popular. And that's a shame.

It's little bit like with architecture. No matter how much better some old style would look in some places, architects tend to desing something that looks as recent as possible.

For example I have noticed that novadays harem anime tends to draw even cuter and childlike characters. Why? This together with still having those accidental ecchi scenes just makes it even more awkward. I have to say that if this goes on anime will soon be banned entirely in all western countries.

I don't know is that a trend or anime fan base just changed, but I think cute face dolls doesn't fit in romance, serious or not. But that's what they are today.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 10:20   Link #205
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
I have to say that if this goes on anime will soon be banned entirely in all most conservative western countries.

Fixed for more accuracy. My country is clearly not conservative when Bible Black is sitting next to Card Captor Sakura and Code Geass DVD boxes, in a mainstream store.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 13:32   Link #206
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
For example I have noticed that novadays harem anime tends to draw even cuter and childlike characters. Why? This together with still having those accidental ecchi scenes just makes it even more awkward. I have to say that if this goes on anime will soon be banned entirely in all western countries.

I don't know is that a trend or anime fan base just changed, but I think cute face dolls doesn't fit in romance, serious or not. But that's what they are today.
Eh, I tend to find modern bishoujo anime character cute but I rarely think of them as looking child like. Then again, I also go for cute faced 18-early 20s girls in real life and always find it surprising when people say they look like they're 14 or so.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 19:10   Link #207
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
I know almost EVERYONE here will disagree with me on this one, but I'll say it anyway. I AM bothered by how anime writers have to compile the story in either a 13 and 26 episode series, OR at least make it such that it can be put in seasons of 13 and 26 episodes. I might be wrong, and I'm probably never gonna hear the end of this, but I actually think it's affecting the plot progresses, the endings, and lots of other important factors that go in the process of making an anime series. Back when everyone had the chance to let the stories progress and mature properly, albeit filler episodes were even worse than they are todat (probably), but at least those 56 and 64 episode series had much nicer stories with plot progress that made alot more sense than some of today's anime series.

EDIT: I'll have to say though, I'm abit biased when it comes to series' lengths' discussions .. to me the longer the show is, the more I spend time living with its story and characters, and thus the more I get attached to it. And no matter how good a story is, AND was told, if our entire relationship lasted for only a couple of hours (a movie, or a 13 episode series), or a couple of days (a 26 episode series), I'm afraid it's significance (sorry, best word I could find) will fade away in the corners of my memory just as quick. So long as I didn't have to watch it streaming (I bilieve is the term used for poeple who watch anime on weekly basis while still airing?) of course !!!

lol have NO idea what Bleach and Naruto fans been doing to keep going at it for .. 10 years ?

Quote:
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Fixed for more accuracy. My country is clearly not conservative when Bible Black is sitting next to Card Captor Sakura and Code Geass DVD boxes, in a mainstream store.
lol tell me about it, France was where I first learned of the existance of "Adult Cartoons". I was 12 and didn't get what kind of "Cartoon" has a video cover picture of a nearly naked woman in a wierd leather suit standing with her high heals on the backs of 3 naked young girls heh.... Oh and the video was right next to the Grave of the Fireflies or Street Fighter (can't remember) that I was looking for.

Last edited by Samurai dono; 2010-06-10 at 20:12.
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 05:55   Link #208
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I made some stats again with anime that count as good according to the year they were made.
Spoiler for wall of list:

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-10-04 at 16:56.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 06:24   Link #209
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Taiyou no Kiba and Crusher Joe is poor?

Modern anime definitely looks better. Storywise, i get this feeling that it more and more constrained by political correctness though fan service is being pushed higher.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:32   Link #210
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Taiyou no Kiba and Crusher Joe is poor?
Whom are you asking?
Quote:
Storywise, i get this feeling that it more and more constrained by political correctness
That is not true.
Old 2010-10-04, 12:29   Link #211
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Whom are you asking?
You, since you formed that table

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
That is not true.
Sorry i thought i would know my own feeling better than you. I guess i was wrong then
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 13:43   Link #212
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Macross F should probably be a 2008 show, as only a single episode preview aired in 2007. The rest aired from April to September 2008.

Anyway,while I agree that we've seen less good shows the last year or two, I don't think the drop off is as severe as those statistics show. Just going through my "top five" for 2008 and 2009, at least 60% of them aren't on that list. In two cases (Spice and Wolf II and EF: A Tale of Melodies), this seems to be related to not listing sequels, in other cases like Kure-nai I get the impression it's just a lack of the show being known despite good word of mouth.

The way I see it, the main reason for the drop is mainly that we're in a market contraction phase right now. A lot of shows aired in 2006 and 2007... and a lot of them experienced very poor DVD sales. I've seen less shows get really poor sales the past year or two, which tends to suggest to me that there was a market saturation issue. Combined with a general downward trend in viewership for more mainstream shows that rely on TV audiences, I don't think it should come as any surprise that production companies are cutting back on production.

This issue is made worse by the fact that people who want well written shows are harder to please than fanservice fans. I actually thought EF: A Tale of Melodies and Umineko no Naku Koro Ni were pretty damn good, but the two shows were poorly received among people familiar with the source material, and the sales numbers reflect that (EF: A Tale of Memories got a far better reception from fans and far better sales). I guess what that really says about anime is that it's not like Hollywood where you want to target mainstream fans even if you're working with a "geek franchise": when adapting something known for its storyline into anime, you have to please the hardcore fanbase, and they're not very forgiving. Tends to make such shows targets for cutbacks in production.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:34   Link #213
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
You, since you formed that table
I have no idea if those shows are good or if they have the slightest historical value, if they were smash hits, or damn enjoyable. Because all these years of being a fan, this is the very first time someone asks me of those titles. So I had no info or fandom to include them.

Quote:
Sorry i thought i would know my own feeling better than you. I guess i was wrong then
Fan service and homo alusions are 1000% higher than in the past. That does not sound politically correct to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Macross F should probably be a 2008 show, as only a single episode preview aired in 2007. The rest aired from April to September 2008.
The air dates I got wrote 2007. And it doesn't matter much.

Quote:
my "top five" for 2008 and 2009, at least 60% of them aren't on that list.
Well it's a slightly biased list, especially since recent anime are still blurry to judge. Which ones are you refering to ?

Quote:
In two cases (Spice and Wolf II and EF: A Tale of Melodies), this seems to be related to not listing sequels
True. If I had to include all sequels of all shows, I would also had to include series that last for years or give one and half points for those lasting a year and a half. It would kill me to do all that. The list is about original titles to the most part.

Quote:
in other cases like Kure-nai I get the impression it's just a lack of the show being known despite good word of mouth.
Sorry, it left too few followers behind and it's been only a few years since then. I desided not to add it. And yes, I wasn't thrilled about it either.
Old 2010-10-10, 22:01   Link #214
Inactive

Send a message via ICQ to Inactive
Sorry, I'll be gross but... I read all this thread & not found any oldschool fans here (except riderman), only bunch of big-talking trash-eaters that doesn't know anything about old & good. If you're watched Gu-Gu Ganmo in your young years it doesn't give you a right to sling dirt to whole epoches. Nobody knows about Mazinger? It was brodcasted all over the world, had millions of viewers, get 6 sequels; episode 68, broadcast March 17, 1974, achieved the series' highest rating of 30.4%, making Mazinger Z one of the highest-rated anime series of all time. Astro Boy turned obsolete by Ghost in the Shell? First mecha?! "Warrior of Science coming to New York" (1944) was a first mecha. Ashita no Joe – successful Sports title? It's a life drama, silly! Doraemon – damn too simplistic? How you dare? You never watched! It's famous for its creative ideas in each ep, sometyimes mystical or philosophical. Lupin the Third vs One Piece?! No comments! Ok, this is enough to make a cat laugh.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 01:36   Link #215
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Sorry, I'll be gross but... I read all this thread & not found any oldschool fans here (except riderman), only bunch of big-talking trash-eaters that doesn't know anything about old & good. If you're watched Gu-Gu Ganmo in your young years it doesn't give you a right to sling dirt to whole epoches. Nobody knows about Mazinger? It was brodcasted all over the world, had millions of viewers, get 6 sequels; episode 68, broadcast March 17, 1974, achieved the series' highest rating of 30.4%, making Mazinger Z one of the highest-rated anime series of all time. Astro Boy turned obsolete by Ghost in the Shell? First mecha?! "Warrior of Science coming to New York" (1944) was a first mecha. Ashita no Joe – successful Sports title? It's a life drama, silly! Doraemon – damn too simplistic? How you dare? You never watched! It's famous for its creative ideas in each ep, sometyimes mystical or philosophical. Lupin the Third vs One Piece?! No comments! Ok, this is enough to make a cat laugh.
Going by your reasoning, only Vexx and Seiji-sensei, or anyone who was alive during the mute movie era, have the right to call themselves veterans. And considering the age average on Asuki, that is ridiculous.

Also, your wording and the way you sound so opinionated and arrogant is honestly NOT helping you.

Reread what you just said, swallow that humble pie because you need it, look at the shows you just trashed (One Piece and Ghost in The Shell to name two) and try to understand WHY and HOW they caught the fans in, because being new and shiny have NOTHING to do with their merits, and anime like Asobi ni Iku Yo are still trash in despite of their smooth graphics and animation. The common thing between a Berserk that is plagued with still shots to cut corners in the animation department and a Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex that have commited the unforgivable sin to be a Modern Anime is that they both have characters we care for and have stories that are well told and compelling. Something I demand from an anime regardless of the time period it was released.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 14:07   Link #216
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
If you're watched Gu-Gu Ganmo in your young years it doesn't give you a right to sling dirt to whole epoches.
I didn't. So everything is ok.

Quote:
Nobody knows about Mazinger? It was brodcasted all over the world, had millions of viewers, get 6 sequels; episode 68, broadcast March 17, 1974, achieved the series' highest rating of 30.4%, making Mazinger Z one of the highest-rated anime series of all time.
Who implied it is not known?

Quote:
Astro Boy turned obsolete by Ghost in the Shell?
Yes.

Quote:
First mecha?! "Warrior of Science coming to New York" (1944) was a first mecha.
Never heard of that title.

Quote:
Ashita no Joe – successful Sports title? It's a life drama, silly!
Really?

Quote:
Doraemon – damn too simplistic? How you dare? You never watched! It's famous for its creative ideas in each ep, sometyimes mystical or philosophical.
Creative is one, simple is another.

Quote:
Lupin the Third vs One Piece?!
Yes.
Old 2010-10-12, 21:42   Link #217
colorles
kid

perspective
colorles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 05:23   Link #218
roriconfan
Banned

http://www.anime-evo.net/content/201...-anime-market/

Adding this with the rest, if we don't pay, we can't complain about the current state of anime.
Old 2010-11-12, 04:04   Link #219
roriconfan
Banned

So I found a rather old non-linear in plot anime titles Boogiepop Phantom. It created a sensation for a couple of yeras and now is pretty much forgotten by most and has an average score.

And then there is Bacanno! a rather new series that most know and are fans of. The plot is also non-linear but the story is nowhere close to serious as Boogie was. Plus Boogie was dark and grim while Bacanno! was light and wacky.

Are we to say that only cheery titles remain in fashion for more? Modern anime are a lot more optimistic than retro in a way. Less depressing and even more light.