AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-07, 21:18   Link #2321
Dark Wing

A quick question is it true that Chiaki was actually sent by her father in hopes that she can marry the next captain of the Bentenmaru? Only to find out the next captain is a girl, so now she merely stuck around because she made all these friends...
Old 2012-05-07, 21:34   Link #2322
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I cannot decide which Chiaki I like more, pirate captain Chiaki or miko Chiaki
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 01:42   Link #2323
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Miko Chiaki... she's in angry mode.

Pirate Captain Chiaki... style. So, I go with this version.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 01:49   Link #2324
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Don't get her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry."

But I do like her in angry mode. Or angry enough to go off script and act like a pirate.

But on script, over the top pirate mode Chiaki is very nice as well. She has a wonderful evil laugh.
Old 2012-05-08, 03:42   Link #2325
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Spoiler for the Interesting:
Pretty much that, yeah. On both points.

I love characters who are actual leaders instead of just so awesome people follow them.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 03:55   Link #2326
gaiar31

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 07:56   Link #2327
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
While Miko Chiaki certainly has a strong "Whoa!" factor, you wouldn't want to experience that anger all the time, or it starts getting old. Keep Miko Chiaki for extra special occasions. Dark Evil Laughter Pirate Queen Chiaki on the other hand, isn't quite as frightening.

Endless "Special occasions" Soul
Old 2012-05-08, 08:35   Link #2328
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Then the alternative would be for Chiaki to take command of the ship while Marika does the critical planning stages.

Um. When they were flying through that dust-filled nebula in the Serenity Arc -- those shields weren't activated. The Bentenmaru was being pummeled by nebula material.

So, I don't see much evidence of energy shield usage in this sci-fi series. Unless, I have to go back and take a look at the military vessels. But right now, I don't remember any command ordering the activation of shields.
Spoiler for ...:

Spoiler for Ep10:

Spoiler for Ep6:

Last edited by encia; 2012-05-08 at 09:00.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 13:47   Link #2329
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Spoiler for ...:
Man. That is too close for comfort.
Old 2012-05-08, 15:06   Link #2330
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's actually better shield design than the spheric ones from a certain point of view. Two of those four beams are near-misses now, but on a spheric shields all four of them would have hit the shield.
Old 2012-05-08, 15:28   Link #2331
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It's actually better shield design than the spheric ones from a certain point of view. Two of those four beams are near-misses now, but on a spheric shields all four of them would have hit the shield.
Right, this prevents you from wasting shield volume and energy protecting empty space. A spherical or ovoid shield would be worn down much more quickly, simply because it's a much larger target and thus easier to hit.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 17:18   Link #2332
Kyuu
=^^=

Hmm. A shield to conform the exterior contour of a ship... that's require multiple placed shield generators in relatively close proximity to each other, all across the exterior. Even then, the shield isn't going to perfectly follow the ships contour as shield energy projected from a generator is emitted radially.

I have a feeling: the Star Trek shields use a single (or even double for redundancy) shield generator to form an ellipsoid shaped shield. Otherwise, two or more generators in a relatively central location to maintain rear and forward shields. Either way, this would make it much easier to maintain and manage.

Disadvantage on the Star Trek configuration: if one or more generators fail, then a large sector of the ship loses shield protection.
Old 2012-05-08, 17:28   Link #2333
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Next Gen shields are like that, the Kirk era shields are right over the hull and typically use a shield grid on the surface for maximum coverage. It was suggested that the grid projected an energy field with the properies of the strongest material known (that they could replicate) across the hull only a small distance away from the hull armor itself.

The new Space Battleship Yamato's Gamilas forces seem to use something similar in fuction (a projected barrier not far from the surface of the hull). It deflects most of the energy from the hull with only a small part of the impact effecting the hull itself. However it seems to not be permanent as physical weapons (missiles) seem to be able to destroy Gamilas ships and beam attacks can destroy them as well (either the power of the beam was greater than the barrier, or the barrier was not up in that direction).

The Bentenmaru's shields seem more Kirk era than Picard era in style. But they deflect energy sort of like the new Yamato venture (though there it seems it can bend beams across its energy shield instead of just deflecting them away).
Old 2012-05-08, 18:26   Link #2334
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Hmm. A shield to conform the exterior contour of a ship... that's require multiple placed shield generators in relatively close proximity to each other, all across the exterior. Even then, the shield isn't going to perfectly follow the ships contour as shield energy projected from a generator is emitted radially.

I have a feeling: the Star Trek shields use a single (or even double for redundancy) shield generator to form an ellipsoid shaped shield. Otherwise, two or more generators in a relatively central location to maintain rear and forward shields. Either way, this would make it much easier to maintain and manage.

Disadvantage on the Star Trek configuration: if one or more generators fail, then a large sector of the ship loses shield protection.
This was early TNG. As the graphics department technology advanced, elements of the multi-phasic shield was incorporated with the developments from the Defiant project such that even in Star Trek Generations, the Enterprise-D was upgraded with form-fitting shields able to avoid some shots from a Vor'cha battlecruiser.

The Defiant defense grid allowed the ship to have reinforced, next-to-hull shields, and was the first time the shield system was separated from the navigation deflector. This was retrofitted on all Starfleet vessels and incorporated in future designs. Those were built into crevasses between the hull where beam arrays normally are. The Bentenmaru also has these crevasses along her hull, and that makes even more sense considering that the novel Bentenmaru was similar in design to the Defiant.
Old 2012-05-08, 18:45   Link #2335
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
You are using Star Trek logic and applying it to another sci-fi. But this goes both ways. There are many sci-fi series that have shield generators that generate shields following the shape of the object they are meant to protect. Star Wars, for example.
Old 2012-05-08, 18:53   Link #2336
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
You are using Star Trek logic and applying it to another sci-fi. But this goes both ways. There are many sci-fi series that have shield generators that generate shields following the shape of the object they are meant to protect. Star Wars, for example.
Yup, in the end, it was all about how lazy/hardworking the sfx dept is... A sphere is hell easier to create than a ship's shadow after all.
Old 2012-05-08, 19:04   Link #2337
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Well. I'm also applying the things I would know/remember from math/physics as well.
Old 2012-05-08, 20:48   Link #2338
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I, for one, am really enjoying the techno-debate currently going on in this thread.

I'm going to have to agree that the Bentenmaru has form fitting shields. The evidence shown in the pictures above are quite clear. I'm just glad it doesn't have super-exposed shield generators like a Star Destroyer.

Endless "Double front" Soul
Old 2012-05-08, 21:09   Link #2339
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm just glad it doesn't have super-exposed shield generators like a Star Destroyer.
Imperial Engineers.

The Dumbest Engineers in the Universe.

Durr. No one's gonna shoot into a 2-meter hole that leads straight to the core of the Death Star. It's impossible!!!

XD
Old 2012-05-08, 21:21   Link #2340
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm just glad it doesn't have super-exposed shield generators like a Star Destroyer.
..."Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield!"
"Intensify the forward batteries. I don't want anything to get through."
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri