AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-06-03, 06:27   Link #2341
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
We know that the Book of Darkness consuming Hayate's was what was paralyzing and killing her. We also know that "harvesting" linker cores as the Wolkies did invariably resulted in the deaths of the subjects, if drained completely.

And if the bit about obliterating linker cores has something to do with anti-magic, I'm going to go smash my head against a rock.
Actually, we don't know if draining linker cores completely results in death. And considering there are plenty of people without linker cores, that it would lead to death would rather surprise me. Extremely draining? Sure. Death? Don't think so.

And whether it destroys the linker core... considering we've seen Thoma appearing with a Belkan magic circle on several official art now, I doubt it does.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 06:44   Link #2342
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I think total linker core drainage does result in death which is why the Wolkenritter only partially drained linker cores because they didn't want to kill for Hayate's sake.
Old 2011-06-03, 07:09   Link #2343
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Then how come there's plenty of people living happy lives without linker cores? Clearly these things aren't essential to live, otherwise everyone would have them. But since there are plenty of people unable to use magic, there are plenty people who don't have them.

Not to mention that being in AMF should have been at least highly uncomfortable for a mage, and merely being touched by an Eclipse infected would have been very, very bad.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-06-03 at 07:24.
Old 2011-06-03, 09:56   Link #2344
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Is there any official information about people without linker cores? I tought everyone have linker cores it's just that some are very small or underdeveloped to use mana and forcing them will only damage the people in question.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 10:04   Link #2345
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Concrete? No. There was a part in A's where the TSAB were talking about the beasties the Wolkies were hunting and mentioning them 'having linker cores' which suggests a possible absence.
Old 2011-06-03, 10:16   Link #2346
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

It's like unused organs, things that in the past served some purpouse but evolution makes those unusable but still some of them remain into humans constitution. It was mentioned that mages are scarce on Earth but also tend to be usually pretty powerfull, a theory can be that because Humans don't developed their usage of mana in large numbers the Linker Core weakened over the ages and now only a few on each generation manage to have healthy, developable linker cores and even that won't guarantee that they will be mages.

Look at Nanoha for example, she has a perfectly capable and healty linker core but if it wasn't for Yuuno she probably never discovered magic and will lived as a perfectly normal earthling woman(ninja stuff aside XD).

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-06-03, 10:27   Link #2347
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That explanation works for earth, but it does raise the question why a culture who has always had magic as a central piece of their culture as far as recorded history goes have the same problem. Mid Childa has always used magic, yet even there many people are born without the ability to use magic.
Old 2011-06-03, 10:37   Link #2348
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I don't have any official explanation but we can take the example of Squibs from Harry Potter's lore. They're basically sons of magic user who can't use magic themselves, i wonder why but it probably be a possibility that it is a similar case. Also remember that Mid-Childa is actually a very mutlicultural society conformed with people from countries and planets all across the galaxy/dimensions some have so much time there that they didn't even remember well their ethnical heritage(like the Nakajima family who are clearly Japanese people at least from Genya's part but Subaru didn't know much about that and mentions that while she's councsious of her earthling roots she never actually visited Earth until that StrikerS Sound Stage where RF6 goes to a mission on Uminari City).

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-06-03 at 10:55.
Old 2011-06-03, 10:49   Link #2349
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Looks like due to the lack of data on this it's pretty much always going to be a battle of I think's.
Old 2011-06-03, 14:14   Link #2350
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Looks like due to the lack of data on this it's pretty much always going to be a battle of I think's.
Blame Tsuzuki, he's too busy making mecha references to solidify the setting
Old 2011-06-03, 14:17   Link #2351
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

We need the essential book of Nanoha that contains expanded data çon all this sort of stuff, the NEXT designs are somewhat helpfull but there's too much information missing and as a result we can only start to speculate on the missing details xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-06-03, 14:19   Link #2352
Arkeus

Quote:
That explanation works for earth, but it does raise the question why a culture who has always had magic as a central piece of their culture as far as recorded history goes have the same problem. Mid Childa has always used magic, yet even there many people are born without the ability to use magic.
yeah, huh, we have no idea on that.

We know some people are considered non-mage, but we don't know what that entails at all.

Also, keep in mind that they were talking about beasts that have strong linker core, not humans, in A's.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 15:13   Link #2353
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Pretty sure having a Linker Core is not something everyone has. Some do, perhaps even half the population of Midchilda or some high number like that, but not everyone. So the only question is whether or not removing a Linker Core would kill a mage or not. Even if it's not essential for everyone, it may be essential for mages to live. But I'm decently sure you can live if it's removed, it's just a really painful process in general.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 15:16   Link #2354
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Is there any official information about people without linker cores? I tought everyone have linker cores it's just that some are very small or underdeveloped to use mana and forcing them will only damage the people in question.
I am pretty sure it was said somewhere that regular humans don't have Linker Cores, which is why many people aren't mages even on the Mid. Just forgot where...
Old 2011-06-03, 15:23   Link #2355
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

I think it's simple enough to put in one sentence: Everybody has linker cores, and some people have the capacity and potential to become mages while a lot aren't even worth a couple lines in the book.

Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 02:02   Link #2356
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
yeah, huh, we have no idea on that.

We know some people are considered non-mage, but we don't know what that entails at all.

Also, keep in mind that they were talking about beasts that have strong linker core, not humans, in A's.
Not really, the linker cores of the monsters in A's were huge (compared to those seen in humans), but of low quality. So I guess the linker core's size is proportional to the being it's in...but that doesn't mean the amount of magic is the same.

I just remembered the barrier that was set up at the beginning of A's, the one that made normal people "disappear" leaving only Nanoha and Vita.
And let's not forget the fight with BoD/Reinforce where Suzuka and Arisa also remained
It caused a lot of speculation (and artwork) of whether they could use magic or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
I think it's simple enough to put in one sentence: Everybody has linker cores, and some people have the capacity and potential to become mages while a lot aren't even worth a couple lines in the book.
Yeah, I like to think that way. At least it feels fair
Old 2011-06-04, 02:34   Link #2357
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Not really, the linker cores of the monsters in A's were huge (compared to those seen in humans), but of low quality. So I guess the linker core's size is proportional to the being it's in...but that doesn't mean the amount of magic is the same.
On the other hand, an adult human body is much better at processing mana than a child's, as stated in chapter 1 or 2 of ViVid. It seems that body size or age do matter, after all. However, not as much as the species, I guess...
Old 2011-06-04, 04:34   Link #2358
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
i meant stronger linker core than normal animals.
Old 2011-06-04, 04:55   Link #2359
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Beasts or humans, if they're talking about a possible absence that raises the same possibility with humans.

Let us consider, if everyone had a linker core everyone would be able to use magic. Even if a linker core would be 'weak' you'd still be able to train it until it grows to the point where you can cast at least basic spells. Yet, even in a society where magic is central people are blatantly described being unable to use magic.
Old 2011-06-04, 07:55   Link #2360
Arkeus

Quote:
Beasts or humans, if they're talking about a possible absence that raises the same possibility with humans.
stronger doesn't imply a lack in others.

Quote:
Let us consider, if everyone had a linker core everyone would be able to use magic. Even if a linker core would be 'weak' you'd still be able to train it until it grows to the point where you can cast at least basic spells. Yet, even in a society where magic is central people are blatantly described being unable to use magic.
Except they aren't described as such. Given that there seems to be a 'magical potential lottery' and that working can increase raw power only so much (though it increases a lot of things), it is no wonder people who have very low magical potential would prefer to not waste time learning magic.

It wouldn't be efficient for Regius to waste years to learn a D-rank attack spell when he could use it becoming a officer.

Tags
manga, nanoha force