AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-10-18, 10:50   Link #2341
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Question for the novel readers. In the manga (and I assume the anime, as I haven't quite gotten to that point yet), Rory's immortality is demonstrated after the four-way onsen battle, with her wounds healing and "spitting" the bullets out while Itami is cleaning the other countries' agents' blood and gore off of her. In the novel, though, from what I've read, she never gets involved in that battle, as the agents largely kill each other off before she can get there. How then is her immortality demonstrated in the novels? Or are we just told how it works and we don't get an actual demonstration until the battle with Giselle?

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2015-10-18 at 11:59.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 14:14   Link #2342
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Not enough to even bother looking into it, unfortunately. Read the manga. It has covered the first two out of the five main ("Season One") novels, and has started into a portion of one of the five gaiden novels, namely the one that happens chronologically after S1 novel two. Might have covered a bit of S1 novel three, as well.
Actually manga got to novel 3 as well.

For everyone:

There are 5 novels.

Novel 1 ( CONTACT ) - Anime season 1 + Anime season 2. ( January release )
Novel 2 ( FLAME DRAGON ) - Manga ended at the end of this ark, season 1 part 2 should cover this part as well.
Spoiler for future plot spoilers:
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 14:51   Link #2343
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Actually manga got to novel 3 as well.

For everyone:

There are 5 novels.

Novel 1 ( CONTACT ) - Anime season 1 + Anime season 2. ( January release )
Novel 2 ( FLAME DRAGON ) - Manga ended at the end of this ark, season 1 part 2 should cover this part as well.
Spoiler for future plot spoilers:
The manga just started novel 3, but then stopped after the intro and started Gaiden+ material which is chronologically after novel 2.
That's what he's talking about.

Also correction,
Spoiler:

If you guys want me to do a more detailed summary of each book, I can, when I have the time.

Last edited by aohige; 2015-10-18 at 15:01.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 15:16   Link #2344
RDNexus

You know I'm always up to summaries
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 17:46   Link #2345
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
What I don't understand is how did they manage to bring those helicopters and jet pass the gate. At first glance that gate did not look that big. Did they take it apart and reassemble them on the other side?
The Gate is wide enough to pass two armored columns comfortably. The helicopters can have their blades removed or brought together, depending on the model, so they can easily be towed through. I'd have to check the wingspan of an F-4 Phantom to see if disassembly would be required.
Old 2015-10-18, 19:32   Link #2346
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
The Gate is wide enough to pass two armored columns comfortably. The helicopters can have their blades removed or brought together, depending on the model, so they can easily be towed through. I'd have to check the wingspan of an F-4 Phantom to see if disassembly would be required.
F4 Phantom II wingspan is only 38'. The Gate should be plenty wide enough. Even if the JSDF is using a variant of the US design, the difference won't be enough to matter.
Old 2015-10-19, 00:44   Link #2347
Grampa

No problem. The Phantom can fold it's wing as this photo show
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 01:39   Link #2348
Hata
時の異邦人

Phantom and helicopter are easy, helicopter’s blade can be folded to be parallel to its body length, while Phantom, a naval jet, can fold its wings down to 27.7 ft like in the above post. you don’t even need to do any disassembly to put it on the flatbed.

basically anything that can be put on a flatbed can be trucked to the special region.

the bigger undertaking, is the C-1 transport we have been seeing in the last few manga chapters, the C-1, only a bit smaller than a C-130, has to be taken apart and put back together on the other side of the Gate, the C-1 can take on 15 tons of cargo, or 60 passengers, or 45 fully equipped paratroopers, with a range of 1,500km. a great foreshadows of what the coming story would be,

(from Alnus hill to the empire capital is 600km, the last chapter we see a formation of 5 C-1. 45X5=225, almost 2/3 of a full battalion, (380) and btw, the only Japanese special force in brigade level is the 1st airborne, and every single one of them has the Ranger badge, the same as Itami.)

this is why I am so anticpating the new Gate novel, the next logical step would be to truck over a ship,
Old 2015-10-19, 07:24   Link #2349
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The first two novels are already covered in detail by the manga, so you have means to read them.
So I'll start with book 3.

Novel 3: Upheaval general summary - first half
Spoiler:

I'll follow up with the second half when I have the time. Maybe later this week.
Not in a rush, the manga is slow and anime isn't gonna air till January, just check back once in a while.

Last edited by aohige; 2015-10-19 at 22:32. Reason: grammar and spelling
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 07:57   Link #2350
RDNexus

Speaking for myself, I won't touch the Manga until the series resumes, since I'm only using it as supplementary material to the series.
But don't worry, I'll read those summaries and then get the remaning intel from the Anime and Manga when January comes around
Old 2015-10-19, 09:10   Link #2351
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Went to check out the manga and was surprise how dark the story actually is. Way different than the tone of the anime which I would say leans more into Fantasy/Adventure genre. Me likey.

I have to say Pina co lada should have known better. She's seen a glimpse of Japans stance on captured prisoners when negotiating the contract after the battle of Italica and yet she was confuse as to why Itami and the JDF reacted strongly upon learning of the captured Japanese citizen's treatment. Well I suppose she had no idea there was even Japanese prisoners being held by the empire.

Itami is very popular among the special region people isn't he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The manga just started novel 3, but then stopped after the intro and started Gaiden+ material which is chronologically after novel 2.
That's what he's talking about.

Also correction,
Spoiler:
Spoiler for .:

Quote:
If you guys want me to do a more detailed summary of each book, I can, when I have the time.
Please and Thank you.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2015-10-19 at 09:25.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 12:53   Link #2352
WILD_LION

Quote:
The first two novels are already covered in detail by the manga, so you have means to read them.
So I'll start with book 3.

Novel 3: Upheaval general summary - first half
Spoiler:

I'll follow up with the second half when I have the time. Maybe later this week.
Not in a rush, the manga is slow and anime isn't gonna air till January, just check back once in a while.
Please update as soon as possible, i can't wait to know what will happen with Lelei.....

Thank you for the summary...
Old 2015-10-19, 22:11   Link #2353
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD_LION View Post
Please update as soon as possible, i can't wait to know what will happen with Lelei.....
I'm less concerned with what happened with Lelei than what happened or will happen with Shandy. What little I've seen of her in the manga, I like her. I like Lelei, too, but she has a lot more plot armor, and this isn't ASoIaF. I don't expect to see main characters getting whacked halfway through a novel. She'll be fine.

Also, for the novel readers, I'm still wondering if there was a demonstration of Rory's "healing factor" in the novels, since she apparently didn't get involved in the gun battle with the foreign agents in the novels.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2015-10-19 at 22:34.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 22:32   Link #2354
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

And thank you for reminding me I spelt Shandy wrong. Shandy Gaff is her name, btw.
As in Shandygaff, the drink.
Old 2015-10-19, 22:40   Link #2355
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
And thank you for reminding me I spelt Shandy wrong. Shandy Gaff is her name, btw.
I just went by what's in the wiki and I believe the /ak/ scanlation.
Old 2015-10-20, 01:51   Link #2356
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I'm less concerned with what happened with Lelei than what happened or will happen with Shandy. What little I've seen of her in the manga, I like her. I like Lelei, too, but she has a lot more plot armor,
it is actually very simple, remember the co-op's initial money making resource? this also turns out to be a plot device for Gaiden 3,

Quote:
Also, for the novel readers, I'm still wondering if there was a demonstration of Rory's "healing factor" in the novels, since she apparently didn't get involved in the gun battle with the foreign agents in the novels.
oh, it’s coming, in fact, probably in the next one or two manga chapter you would see it, an important plot device of the dungeon arc, which is why Rory asked Itami in the last chapter “you wrote that in your diary, too?” that part is not in the novel, and is a foreshadow the mangaka throws out for us.

generally in the story not too many things can touch the current Rory now, so she is seldom hurt at all, but many times Rory's power is demonstrated when Itami got hurt.

Quote:
this author does like to name people after drinks, for some reason
Old 2015-10-20, 03:32   Link #2357
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Thanks for the summary aohige
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 05:05   Link #2358
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Also correction,
Spoiler:
How the hell this happened?
And do they have some chance of
Spoiler for spoiler:
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 05:18   Link #2359
RDNexus

I think it was Aohige who explained that the deity that has opened the gate, to attract entertainment to that world, ended up closing it because it wasn't supposed to be left open for long and was causing spacetime distortions in both worlds.

Last edited by RDNexus; 2015-10-20 at 05:29.
Old 2015-10-20, 05:27   Link #2360
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

It was implied in the manga that it was Hardy, the god that wanted to marry Rory, that opened the gate. And is Hardy really female? A female god wanting to marry another female, I just find that real funny

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction