AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-04, 14:44   Link #2361
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Well, Paraietta and some others generally found Aeru rather annoying and quarreled with her a lot. Not that I really see how this is important to the naive characters discussion. Anyway, I think Aeru is more of a blunt and direct character than some naive idealist, apart from her total ignorance about sex and love. If I am to call someone a naive idealist that would be Rodoreamon, not Aeru.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 15:59   Link #2362
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Too bad it will be a Sunrise mecha series. not exactly something I am very fond of, to put it mildly. After I started watching Lovedol because of its seiyuu line-up it turned out picking series by the voice actors is not always such a great idea, after all.

Anyway, yesterday I rewatched 10 Simoun episodes straight (14-23) and some plot details I crticised before now become clearer and less annoying. But still episode 19 makes very little sense, the more I think of it the more I am convinced the scriptwriter(s) decided to kill off a character but never had a clear view how to do in a believable way. Also I don't get it why the enemy priestess were not punished for letting Neviril escape or why Chor Tempest did not destroy the platform.
Paraietta's character development in the second half of the series seemed a lot better to me this time around although her rapid improvement after the conversation with Alti was somewhat rushed. Another interesting thing I noticed was the lack of Similes taking part in battles. Sure, the Simouns are much better but this is like not using tanks because fighter planes are better. Just another proof for the utter incomptence of the Simulacran leaders, I guess, although you can say they probably did use Similes in other frontlines, like the one Aaeru came from.
A bit of insight into the lifes of the Plumbians, Argentines and the ordinary people of Simulacrum would have made Simoun even better but I guess the lack of knowledge about the enemies does help the viewers see where the main characters are coming from.

Hey, don't encourage us, the thread is already huge.

Yet, you seem to love Planetes which has Tanabe as one of the principal characters. But then again I usually despise sich characters but I love Planetes.
That's probably a valuable lesson learned, if I picked series by voice actors I would be disappointed quite often. Oh and the Sunrise Mecha series were better in the old days, though Code Geass has brought things to the level they once were. It's just a trend the mecha revival like the H-Game conversion one, when you sit down though like I found with some of recent anime that I thought I would hate you find its really not that bad. Mecha can be cheesy, but its often tons of fun too and with the right series setup, you can get just as much story and character out of a series with giant robots flying around as you can with a visual novel. I expect Simoun to be corny at a lot of points too, but as long as I accept it, it won't matter. Then again Melodrama is also hilarious to me for some reason as well, I don't take a lot of things seriously and it helps me get through and enjoy what would otherwise be deemed ridiculous tripe. It's only when a series plot can't hold its own weight and ceases to progress, that things become a problem, like with Gundam Seed Destiny, parts of Soukou No Strain and a number of H-Game Conversion that are cut short of their original story.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 16:30   Link #2363
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I often pick series to try on the basis of VAs, since I enjoy their art, but I certainly dropped Lovedol like a hot potato. On the other hand, the presence of Yukana, Koshimizu Ami, and Orikasa Fumiko got me to watch Code Geass, which is entertaining, and the presence of Hirano Aya convinced me to persevere with Death Note, which I didn't like at first, and it is an intriguing story. I don't like the Mai- series much, despite some excellent voice-acting, so I'm a bit leery of Idolmaster Xenoglossia. But hopeful. I will try anything with Yukana, Koshimizu Ami, or Takahashi Mikako in it.

And just to buck the trend, Aaeru was one of my favorite characters -- unique in my experience. Her arrival was a wonderful sequence, and her freaking out Neviril at lunch that day was actually the beginning of Neviril's healing. Aaeru is a force of nature. Also, ep19 may or may not be totally logical, but it's still one of my favorite episodes, and one of the most emotionally powerful, for me.

My tolerance for angst and melodrama is very high, so I have no trouble suspending disbelief. Certainly no trouble doing it for this great series, my favorite anime of all time ("all time" for me not being much more than three years and a number of classics like Planetes, you understand). I can imagine some people finding the initial "parade to the Simouns" sequence ridiculous, but I still find it thrilling and grand every time I watch it. What makes it impossible for me to suspend disbelief is lame humor (by my definition) or silly monsters, neither of which comes within a million miles of this show.

I recently watched Turn A Gundam, on wowo's recommendation of several months ago, and enjoyed it a lot. Great voice-acting (especially from Takahashi Rieko, Paku Romi, and Koyasu Takehito), a good story (or stories), and some excellent characters. But it is nowhere near the level of this show, for me. There's just something about Simoun that makes it seem serious, and makes it move me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-02-04 at 19:10.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 23:11   Link #2364
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I often pick series to try on the basis of VAs, since I enjoy their art, but I certainly dropped Lovedol like a hot potato. On the other hand, the presence of Yukana, Koshimizu Ami, and Orikasa Fumiko got me to watch Code Geass, which is entertaining, and the presence of Hirano Aya convinced me to persevere with Death Note, which I didn't like at first, and it is an intriguing story. I don't like the Mai- series much, despite some excellent voice-acting, so I'm a bit leery of Idolmaster Xenoglossia. But hopeful. I will try anything with Yukana, Koshimizu Ami, or Takahashi Mikako in it.

And just to buck the trend, Aaeru was one of my favorite characters -- unique in my experience. Her arrival was a wonderful sequence, and her freaking out Neviril at lunch that day was actually the beginning of Neviril's healing. Aaeru is a force of nature. Also, ep19 may or may not be totally logical, but it's still one of my favorite episodes, and one of the most emotionally powerful, for me.

My tolerance for angst and melodrama is very high, so I have no trouble suspending disbelief. Certainly no trouble doing it for this great series, my favorite anime of all time ("all time" for me not being much more than three years and a number of classics like Planetes, you understand). I can imagine some people finding the initial "parade to the Simouns" sequence ridiculous, but I still find it thrilling and grand every time I watch it. What makes it impossible for me to suspend disbelief is lame humor (by my definition) or silly monsters, neither of which comes within a million miles of this show.

I recently watched Turn A Gundam, on wowo's recommendation of several months ago, and enjoyed it a lot. Great voice-acting (especially from Takahashi Rieko, Paku Romi, and Koyasu Takehito), a good story (or stories), and some excellent characters. But it is nowhere near the level of this show, for me. There's just something about Simoun that makes it seem serious, and makes it move me.
You should check out some plays if its acting that turns you crank. I'm really more concerned with plot though.

I pretty much expect to enjoy this series based on how horribly awful the idea alone sounds. I love this kind of stuff in the way I like to watch episodes of MST3K. Will it move me to an epiphany? Hell No. I don't do the emotion thing without the proper atmosphere and usually only by the end of an expertly told story where I can relate to the characters. Nor do I do the well acted scene thing, it's always a bonus to have a favourite voice actor in a show, but ultimately not that important to me. (acting is meant only to convey what the characters are feeling and if done well, good on the actor, otherwise it really doesn't matter as a whole), I do the well crafted plot and character thing (Comes from reading too many books). Will I enjoy the ride in my own fashion? Definetely.

Finally, if the idea of Xenoglossia being a mecha series doesn't work for you, don't watch it, seriously. If you think your going to enjoy something you know you don't prefer just because one or more of your favourite voice actors is in it though, then I really can't help you, because it's just that silly. Let me give you this piece of advice though, Takehito Koyasu was in Tsuyokiss and as I was watching the first episode and I thought "Well that's cool", but the show was horrible for me as I expected after giving it its fair chance. I dumped it and said nothing more of it at that point, even though he was in it. Why did I do that, because he'll be in another series soon enough that I will enjoy more than likely. Voice Actors are there to play parts, they are not a fixture or representation of any particular idea or character. They are meant to slip in and out of roles as there job requires.

Another example, Brad Pitt is an actor I respect very much. He was phenomenal in Se7en, Fight Club and Snatch, but those were all movies I really really enjoyed as well. He happened to come along in Mr and Mrs. Smith, a movie I had absolutely no interest in seeing. I thought it was cool that Brad Pitt was in it, but I still wouldn't give it the time of day, because even if he nailed his part, it wouldn't save the movie for me.

So think long and hard about whether your really want to watch Xenoglossia, because if you do watch it for Yukana and the like and you do come off disappointed with the mecha aspect, I will be required to say I told you so in the thread.

Also, I had no idea that you were watching Code Geass. I hope you are enjoying the web of characters caught up in a rebellion and not just worried about the voice acting, because C.C isn't going to be around all the time. I can guarantee you its not going to be what your expecting either.

I'm really struggling to breakthrough your voice-acting oriented preferences because on a list of things that matter to me when watching a show it probably ranks just below background music and just barely above who does opening and ending theme songs. Rest assured I will eventually understand, but it will take a long time.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-04 at 23:29.
Old 2007-02-09, 23:16   Link #2365
galerian_ash

Question Wallpapers...?

A~ah, I'm late to the party I started watching Simoun this week, and after getting through the first few episodes (that I found to be kind of so-so), I was completely hooked. I just couldn't stop watching; a great series.

I hate having to do this, but uhm... I was reading through this thread and saw mentions of some wallpapers that were up on the official site for a brief moment (Yun and Paraietta, Anubituf and Guragief and a teddy bear?!, and more perhaps). I, of course, missed them all So, I'd be most appreciative if anyone happened to save them and wouldn't mind sending them my way. Thanks in advance!
galerian_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 23:48   Link #2366
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galerian_ash View Post
I hate having to do this, but uhm... I was reading through this thread and saw mentions of some wallpapers that were up on the official site for a brief moment (Yun and Paraietta, Anubituf and Guragief and a teddy bear?!, and more perhaps). I, of course, missed them all
Glad to hear from another fan.

I missed the next one, I think. Did anyone happen to get it?
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 20:31   Link #2367
galerian_ash

Ooooo, thank you so much Fignae! That's really a wonderful wallpaper

*nods* I'm happy to meet other fans too. It seems like a relatively small fandom, all things considered (there's not even an LJ community for it; despite the fact that there's communities for pretty much everything else out there).
galerian_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 00:44   Link #2368
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galerian_ash View Post
(there's not even an LJ community for it; despite the fact that there's communities for pretty much everything else out there).
Well, I've done 'interests' searches a few times, to gauge if there were enough people for a community. Though I see the list has increased considerably since then.... And then the need didn't arise, besides the fact that someone stole the name from under my nose, sniff. If you create one, I'd join.
Old 2007-02-11, 02:16   Link #2369
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

I am amazed how this series is so wonderful after marathoning it in 1 single session. I really fell in love with the series and I am so sad that I did not pick it up when I first started anime blogging.

It will probably be one of my top listed series to keep up and recommend if ever anyone asks me about 2006.

Great stuff.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 02:54   Link #2370
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There are five pages of images here, but I don't see the one from the site. Not many wallpapers, except two of Rimone halfway down the first page.

There are also a number of images, including wallpapers, on this Chinese Simoun site. There are numerous pages of fan art here. And character designer Nishida Asako's home page has a number of images (not all in character) in the gallery.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:27   Link #2371
mapletune

Hello everyone~! I am kinda new here. anyway, just finished watching Simoun =D its absolutely lovely. ^_^V

made a um... sorta like a fansite.. if you have some free time feel free to visit it here!
mapletune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 15:48   Link #2372
mapletune

by the way~~ episode 24 released by Simoun-Fans =) but you knew that already, eh?

i have also compiled a short list of Simoun reviews and thoughts by bloggers on my blog. Its a quick way to convince your friends to watch Simoun! =D

those who aren't sure about watching this show, i highly recommend reading the numerous opinions posted there =)
mapletune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 13:44   Link #2373
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Spoiler for HUGE:

Spoiler:

Wow they made a game out of it. My comment used to be "Wow they turned this into an anime already", now its, "Wow they made this into a game already".

It's mostly likely a Dating Sim/Airship Combat Simulator mix, though I would definetely not by aiming for the pink haired girl with the Angelina Jolie lips.

Spoiler:

Aha I was right.

Come on by Bandai By Bandai By Bandai.

NOOO, it's by some nobody company named Marvelous, OHHH so close. Dang!

Well if a series is ranked best by one blogger and worst by another, does that mean it falls somewhere in the middle. One, because he's unpleasable (Ubu Roi. He has a category called Bitching. Sounds like someone I know very closely, hmmmm.) and the other because he's overly pleasable (Jeff Lawson. Kind of a boring blog, but to the point). Oh well doesn't matter, I plan on watching this series anyway with my good friends Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot (So in a way Ubu Roi's philosophy wins with me, though I actually am open to the possibility of character development and fair judgement on anything below the upper immediate yuri fanservice layer).

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-21 at 14:15.
Old 2007-02-21, 14:41   Link #2374
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

LOL, they even made a mistake and switched Floe and Rodore's names in the characters listing in the second pic. Or maybe they did it on purpose? I think someone had posted these (or very similar pics before though), I am sure I have seen a lot of the screenshots from the game.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 14:50   Link #2375
fignae
floofer. floof.

Ahahaaa! Oh, that's priceless! It's the pictures that are reversed, not the names. Imagine Floe being an ojou-sama with a noble lineage.
Old 2007-02-21, 16:24   Link #2376
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

In case anybody wants to know (cares?), the game is indeed on the delayed indefinetly list on the companies homepage. They seem to make a lot of anime games from what I can tell so a lot of their games get delayed. Whether any of them are good I have no idea. I don't play ADV style games so a lot of their stuff is dead on arrival, but the RPG, SLG, Action sections are always worth looking into.
Old 2007-02-22, 04:33   Link #2377
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I think someone had posted these (or very similar pics before though)
Yeah - still a classic blunder though

Quote:
I am sure I have seen a lot of the screenshots from the game.
There's been a lot of material floating around these last few months (remembering that the game was initially due out 2006-11-30). Even the people authoring the Simoun DVDs have been caught out by the delays.

My guess is they're behind on the tactical SLG part, simply because there are so many screenshots for the ADV component. Going by what's out there you'd think it was one big shower scene - even Yuri Hime #7 devotes two of its three colour pages on the game to shower pics. It's been interesting to watch the production line-art from the game selling on YJ though - the last couple of sets have sold for over 40k each, possibly because the steam you see in the final shots is a separate layer from the character drawings...

Who knows what Marvellous will do in the end, but my hope is they're working hard to make a game that stands out from the soft-H dating-sim crowd. It could at least live up to the promise of the OP video. (This is the part where all you experienced gamers laugh at my naivete.)

@mapletune: hello! It's aways a pleasure to welcome a new fan.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:13   Link #2378
Simon
気持ち悪い

Worth a double-post: Simoun goodies at Winter Wonder Festival 2007.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:33   Link #2379
JediNight
キズランダム

Too bad the ending, or lack thereof, is so aggravating
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 13:17   Link #2380
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Too bad the ending, or lack thereof, is so aggravating
Aggravating? Don't you mean glorious, deeply moving, and wonderful? Seriously, though, I understand where you might be coming from, and can only recommend going back and reading the part of this thread where we discussed the ending in excruciating detail, enabling many of us (not all) to realize we loved it. At first, I was disappointed not to get more obvious closure, then I realized I liked the mystery and glory that I did get better than a dead wrapping up of everything in a neat package. And there are quite a few explanations in the thread, if anything isn't clear to you (starting around here, and going for many pages).

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri