Notices

Old 2012-02-16, 01:27   Link #2361
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I don't remember Claus was crippled at the end of LE
There's a very good reason for that - he wasn't. If indeed he is now, the reason is still a mystery (though "so he won't upstage Fam" is a strong candidate).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 01:28   Link #2362
stormwaltzing
Little Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
That's a great full map What did that come from? It also looks like it lists where each ep has taken place too in addition to the locations of each of the nations.
In the newest Newtype magazine there was a small Fam booklet called Flight Log, basically a thing with character info, some vanship/ship stuff that I'll probably also scan after I'm home from a busy weekend with some staff interviews, just in case anyone who can read it can glean anything of interest from it.
Old 2012-02-16, 01:56   Link #2363
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Waiting for the tear jerker they give us for why Claus needs a wheelchair, assuming we've interpreted that scene correctly.

That said, boy, all these recaps in an age where anime almost never does recaps, is a bit jarring. Though, they highlit all the exciting parts from season one to get new fans to buy those DVDs, I'm sure (as much as I loved season one, I'm not going to pretend the glacial pacing is a great fit for the average anime fan).

Between the glacial speed of the subs for this show, and all the recaps, I'm thinking I might have been better off just waiting 'till the season was done, before watching. :/

As it is, due to a heavy work schedule and slow subs, I've been watching this in bunches for a bit now, with 14-15.5 in one sitting, and I'm probably really late to this conversation, but I can't be the only one who was all ??? between 14 and 15. I feel like I missed an episode. Or three.

Anyways, I don't much like Fam as a character, but I'm enjoying this season despite the 'leads'. Now, if only they do a season 3 with the first season's great characters (I'm being a bit harsh here, as I enjoy most of the cast that aren't Fam/Giselle/Millia in season two, though overall season one's supporting cast was superior), and season two's pacing, and I'd be pretty damn happy.

Though, even with its imperfections, this is still one of the only shows I'm actually watching this season (this is, personally, the worst season ever, without a single "oh wow" show-the first time I've ever experienced this in 13 years of watching anime seasonally-as opposed to whenever VHS/DVDs popped up).

Assuming the earlier post wasn't just pulled out of thin air, glad to hear Gonzo is actually making money now as well. They've historically been one of my favorite studios, so when they wen't 'bankrupt', I was all sorts of sad over it. Though, I admit, I am not exactly holding my breath over their next Fall 2012 show. Here's hoping Fam makes them enough money to weather what I suspect will be a heck of a financial stinker in Satria: Warriors of Something I Can't Remember.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 08:31   Link #2364
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
That said, boy, all these recaps in an age where anime almost never does recaps, is a bit jarring.
So why do people call this the "age of no recap"? Chihaya Furu had one as well this season ( the only 2 shows I'm watching).
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 08:33   Link #2365
blewin

nooooo. The hero of the first season got taken out like that? ....

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 09:41   Link #2366
Smithsky

Holy crap that recap, I had goose bumbs whole episode and shed a few tears while watching it, also reminded me that I planned to rewatch it, but eventually forgot. When flashback ended and grassy hills started rolling in, I was like fuck yeah, this must be it. I was so busy taking deep breaths, staring at Lavie and Claus, that I didn't even notice wheelchair that you guys mentioned, lol.

I guess (and hope) that's temporary (how the hell did he get up there anyway) and he's just recovering from protecting Al (seems I need to start reading manga you guys mentioned asap) and gonna join final fight alongside main characters.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:52   Link #2367
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

You need 2 legs to get into that cockpit so whatever happened to him, he has most of both of his legs. And he slept outside in the cockpit overnight, so he doesn't have any respiratory problems. Maybe the wheelchair is more convenient for him to travel over that terrain right now.

Fam can't hold a candle to Claus. I'm hoping that his injury is temporary.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:07   Link #2368
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You need 2 legs to get into that cockpit so whatever happened to him, he has most of both of his legs. And he slept outside in the cockpit overnight, so he doesn't have any respiratory problems. Maybe the wheelchair is more convenient for him to travel over that terrain right now.

Fam can't hold a candle to Claus. I'm hoping that his injury is temporary.
That's what I said before. I mean, how is he in the cockpit if he can't move his legs? How is he going to GET OUT if he can't move his legs? Anyway, that last statement can already be proven. Just think this way:

Tatiana's skills on a Vanship > Fam's.

Claus' skills on a Vanship > Tatiana(not by far, but he is).

Gonzo obviously knows that, so....solution: Crippled or slighty injured Claus. Way to go
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 11:10   Link #2369
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It could simply be the loss of function in only one leg...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 12:47   Link #2370
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
That's what I said before. I mean, how is he in the cockpit if he can't move his legs? How is he going to GET OUT if he can't move his legs?
Give Claus a little credit.

If you have good upper body strength and someone (like Lavie) to help steady and give a little push, it's very possible...especially since the vanship has recessed hand and foot holds on the side.

I have a paraplegic friend and negotiating an open cockpit like that (with a little help) would be no problem.
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 13:08   Link #2371
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim1167 View Post
Give Claus a little credit.

If you have good upper body strength and someone (like Lavie) to help steady and give a little push, it's very possible...especially since the vanship has recessed hand and foot holds on the side.

I have a paraplegic friend and negotiating an open cockpit like that (with a little help) would be no problem.
But in a war situation in an emergency landing, a crippled or paraplegic would have a low chance of survival. Even Claus would know that. So him in the cockpit means that injury isn't that bad. It could just be a broken leg.
Old 2012-02-16, 13:18   Link #2372
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But in a war situation in an emergency landing, a crippled or paraplegic would have a low chance of survival. Even Claus would know that. So him in the cockpit means that injury isn't that bad. It could just be a broken leg.
I was only answering the question of HOW can he get in and out the cockpit without the use of his legs, not WHY he was in the cockpit. If truly crippled (again, like everyone else I'm hoping he's not) he may be just sitting there for nostalgic sentiment.
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 13:23   Link #2373
TJR

Quote:
Assuming the earlier post wasn't just pulled out of thin air, glad to hear Gonzo is actually making money now as well. They've historically been one of my favorite studios, so when they wen't 'bankrupt', I was all sorts of sad over it. Though, I admit, I am not exactly holding my breath over their next Fall 2012 show. Here's hoping Fam makes them enough money to weather what I suspect will be a heck of a financial stinker in Satria: Warriors of Something I Can't Remember.
They were making money before the launch of Last Exile -Fam. How they're doing now will be reflected in the next earnings report.

I would guess that the plan for Satria is similar to what they've been doing for recent projects (excluding Last Exile, which is a significant production). Work on a fixed production fee and try to keep costs below what they're being paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal
So why do people call this the "age of no recap"? Chihaya Furu had one as well this season ( the only 2 shows I'm watching).
That's more of an exception than the norm. Nowadays, recaps are pretty rare (and almost non-existent in late night anime), at least for shorter series.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 13:52   Link #2374
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
That's more of an exception than the norm. Nowadays, recaps are pretty rare (and almost non-existent in late night anime), at least for shorter series.
Hard to have recaps when nowadays most of the anime (90%+) is 1 cour shit, mostly based on some novels, or random moe blob stupid ideas.
Finding anything with a proper story values, and good production and story, which goes 26+/- eps is hard as hell.
I remember when I started watching anime that most of the series were around 23-26 eps, and 12 eps series were rare for me. Now finding anything that goes beyond 12 ep is super hard, (forgetting some of the series which have 2-3+ cours of 12 ep, mostly not even making an integral story).
Old 2012-02-16, 15:31   Link #2375
DangerMouse

Hmm I think there's way too much jumping to conclusions going on from some people regarding Claus' injury, just like the jumping to conclusions of Claus and Lavie already dying offscreen due to Dio's line saying that Al's lost people before (or the other translation which said she's lost people important to her before) which I didn't think was likely. As I also said right after the ep, I'm still with the same thoughts as TheKage on this being him mid-recovery due to Lavie's demeanor given how much the two of them love to fly. Personally I think he's mid-recovery from a Guilder attempting to take Al and has relied on Dio to look after her while he recuperates, I think they'll be back within an episode myself. As Stormwaltzing said, I seriously doubt they showed them at the end of this ep and recapped their adventure just before the Anatoray arc starts only to not show them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Hard to have recaps when nowadays most of the anime (90%+) is 1 cour shit, mostly based on some novels, or random moe blob stupid ideas.
Finding anything with a proper story values, and good production and story, which goes 26+/- eps is hard as hell.
I remember when I started watching anime that most of the series were around 23-26 eps, and 12 eps series were rare for me. Now finding anything that goes beyond 12 ep is super hard, (forgetting some of the series which have 2-3+ cours of 12 ep, mostly not even making an integral story).
Agreed. Generally speaking I miss the days of the vast majority being 23-26 eps. Also, as you said, even the 12 ep shows that get multiple seasons tend to be paced, for obvious reasons, as if each season is separate for merely 12 rather than a 24 where they know in advance they have double the length, it feels very different most of the time.

Also, unlike the first recap I don't personally consider this one a regular recap, it's been 8 years since the first show and unlike most sequels after so long this one directly ties into the first season and has even given us old fans a good number of our old characters back and name dropped several more. I thought this one was quite useful unlike most uncreative recaps and extremely nostalgic for us old viewers with how great a job they did at picking scenes and with the really nicely done Dio and Al scenes at the two ends of the ep and as Claus and Lavie made their first new appearance in 8 years especially since Anatoray is now the next target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
They were making money before the launch of Last Exile -Fam. How they're doing now will be reflected in the next earnings report.

I would guess that the plan for Satria is similar to what they've been doing for recent projects (excluding Last Exile, which is a significant production). Work on a fixed production fee and try to keep costs below what they're being paid.
Yeah like creb I'm also a big Gonzo fan and they've been one of my favorite studios. I think you're right, I'm not too hopeful about Satria but I don't even really see it as much of their show as I don't even think they are actually really animating much of it themselves at all, the trailer was also posted by that other non-Japanese studio and not Gonzo and basically looked like it's going to be mainly that studio handling the bulk of the project, as evidenced by it visually looking nothing like their animation or Gonzo's usually sharper distinctive style that's usually recognizable regardless of the various art designers, so like you I think they're involved in this for supplemental income, and I guess they are contributing by animating an ep here or there or providing some higher-level staff to help plan/oversee the project or something for a young studio?

Quote:
As it is, due to a heavy work schedule and slow subs, I've been watching this in bunches for a bit now, with 14-15.5 in one sitting, and I'm probably really late to this conversation, but I can't be the only one who was all ??? between 14 and 15. I feel like I missed an episode. Or three.
Hmm, no I didn't really feel like that about the transition from ep 14 to 15, I thought it was fine but marathoning I can see your point I think it would be beneficial seeing even the tail end of the Turan Exile causing that destruction for a smoother transition for marathon viewing when seeing them directly back-to-back, which I will no doubt be doing with S1 and S2 perhaps even leading up to the finale (and certainly when Funi releases the BDs for Fam, and hopefully S1 at the same time too). I think the pacing and transitions have been mostly spot on, except for one which they may still address:

Spoiler:

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-02-16 at 16:47.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 15:58   Link #2376
Xaturas

One more thing.
For some people its recap, for me its background info.
I have the whole season1 on my HDD but don't have time to watch it. For me it gave some info about the background of wth is going on in the story. And it can either give proper background to new users or give the background and make them go watch first season.
Compared to previous recap I wouldn't call this one a recap, as it was more or less a new season ep with previous season material to give some background.
Old 2012-02-16, 16:42   Link #2377
DangerMouse

Quote:
One more thing.
For some people its recap, for me its background info.
I have the whole season1 on my HDD but don't have time to watch it. For me it gave some info about the background of wth is going on in the story. And it can either give proper background to new users or give the background and make them go watch first season.
Compared to previous recap I wouldn't call this one a recap, as it was more or less a new season ep with previous season material to give some background.
Really agree with this.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 16:44   Link #2378
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest thought, season one acts as very little background to Silver Wing. Until the manga is fully translated, I won't have a clue what is going on...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 16:56   Link #2379
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be honest thought, season one acts as very little background to Silver Wing. Until the manga is fully translated, I won't have a clue what is going on...
Yet it still more or less fills some of the loose ends.
Last exile have quite a cast of characters compared to some other series. Most of them have major role in the story. I don't know maybe in next eps we will go into Anatoray characters story more or less, and it would be good to know at least a little bit about them. We know Ades/Turan/Glacies however we have almost no info about Anatoray besides the few bits here and there from the Reaper.
Old 2012-02-16, 17:11   Link #2380
leokiko

Quote:
Yet it still more or less fills some of the loose ends.
Last exile have quite a cast of characters compared to some other series. Most of them have major role in the story. I don't know maybe in next eps we will go into Anatoray characters story more or less, and it would be good to know at least a little bit about them. We know Ades/Turan/Glacies however we have almost no info about Anatoray besides the few bits here and there from the Reaper.
Well, character-wise, we do know that the important people there have already appeared: Tatiana, Vincent, Claus and Lavie. It's only a matter of time before Sophia (the Empress) appears too.

@edit: Also, tottaly off-topic: GOD DAMN...can't take my eyes off your avatar
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction