AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-10-25, 02:39   Link #2361
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So did you select the same tracks and "Kona-fy" them?
You know it. Ah, and I made sure to sing loads of anime songs by artists none of the rest of my party had ever heard of before.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 03:23   Link #2362
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

If there was any 'Head Cha-La' happening, there'd better be an mp3 somewhere.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 14:09   Link #2363
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
There is no problem. That's why I felt kind of...hurt when I hear said friend and many others flatly say that watching Lucky*Star would make them a "weeab**". The ironic thing is most of them despise anime Americanization and rent anime DVDs only to watch them in subs.
They are usually emo retards that need a life... badly.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 14:47   Link #2364
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
They are usually emo retards that need a life... badly.
...doubt that. He's not retarded, he's not emo, he's just not too open-minded.

For your future popularity, please ditch that stereotype.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 20:55   Link #2365
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
...doubt that. He's not retarded, he's not emo, he's just not too open-minded.

For your future popularity, please ditch that stereotype.
...Because being close-minded is less damning than the two suggested alternatives?

Just a thought...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 09:13   Link #2366
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...Because being close-minded is less damning than the two suggested alternatives?

Just a thought...
I'm saying that they aren't related. Closed-minded is bad, but that doesn't necessarily bring about the other two.

I apologize for how off-topic this got, so lets raise a glass to Tsukasa beating Suiseiseki in Saimoe 2007.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 11:00   Link #2367
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...minescentBlush

LOL.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 10:15   Link #2368
Spitze

In the sponsor message for the ed and intro, there's this dog that's featured. What's its breed?
Spitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 22:09   Link #2369
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Interesting article on animenewsnetwork.com:

Quote:
Lucky Star Cast, Fans to Visit Real-Life Shrine
posted on 2007-11-21 16:33 EST
Event to include brunch, manga creator appearance, shrine goods
Don't you wish you were there?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 03:47   Link #2370
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Interesting article on animenewsnetwork.com:

Don't you wish you were there?

Uhhhh, yes....yes I do! I really like those phone straps too...

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 02:56   Link #2371
mikoo
Banned

Lucky*Star PS2 is out, and you can see the ad on the above ad banner

the game play as follow:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-26lx.html

Spoiler for new characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ain_characters

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 06:26   Link #2372
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Parental Figures In Lucky Star

The Hiiragi parents are obviously doing their job well, considering that their daughters are normal and down to earth indivuduals with not too detrimental quirks.

However, two parental figures in Lucky Star are worrying.

1) Izumi Sou, who as his daughter calls him, is an open "Lolicon Otaku Ero-Oyaji", a Perfect Blue just BEGGING to happen.

2) Takara Yukari, who in spite of being painfully cute is lazy, stupid and and does nothing whatsoever.

This is a recent conversation I have had with other Animesukiboarders offline, and they both came to the concensus that the above two individuals are in fact good parents because their children grew up to be happy and well adjusted individuals.

What do you fellas think?
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 16:32   Link #2373
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

So, having a fetihs means you can't possibly be a good parent?
Apparently Yukari has a husband... somewhere... but kids who turn out smart like Miyuki have typically raised themselves.
Old 2008-01-29, 16:42   Link #2374
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yukari dad hasn't been mentioned as far as I know in manga or anime. But given the class/status of their living conditions --- he probably works 80hrs/wk making a ton of money that he never gets to enjoy (standard japanese upper-level executive or something).

Izumi may be a "Lolicon Otaku Ero-Oyaji" but he's basically the harmless kind (and I get the feeling his daughter ensures he *stays* harmless) but what he really misses is his departed wife. Don't forget the strong bonded relationship he had with her. He obviously deeply loved her.
Old 2008-02-05, 20:24   Link #2375
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Izumi may be a "Lolicon Otaku Ero-Oyaji" but he's basically the harmless kind (and I get the feeling his daughter ensures he *stays* harmless) but what he really misses is his departed wife. Don't forget the strong bonded relationship he had with her. He obviously deeply loved her.

Good summation, though I shudder to think his creepy ilk solely had a hand in raising a kid. I mean, I don't think Konata ever grew up "innocent" much less had any normal childhood. Like my community would've had a Megan alert on his tail soon as he landed here. In a crazy way, maybe their both being so hyper into video games was a merciful distraction (his) from Konata...

Dee
Dee Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:43   Link #2376
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
Hey There

I do agree with you that Lucky*Star is a very Asian anime. Lots of references that the average "Westerner" wouldnt pickup and without getting any of the references the anime could seem dull.

I truly believe anime cultural gaps can be bridged by a good subbing team. My cousin plugged me in Ranma 1/2 with some video tapes from a real nice fan-sub (Ranma had dozens of different groups!!) group who not only did great translations but took the time to quote explanations of cultural and in-side joke and religious mentions along the way that would've gone over your head or been messed entirely by most non-Japanese. Really made me appreciate and enjoy Ranma so much better. Unfortunately(?) I think only deep-fandom outfits will be so caring as to take the trouble, unlike the "official" sub-titled versions. I hope the same happens with Lucky Star's obscure mentions (like with smells, shrine maidens, Iris in the train station, "the cute round froggie -- depleted uranium thing"??...etc)

Dee
Old 2008-02-05, 21:58   Link #2377
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Good summation, though I shudder to think his creepy ilk solely had a hand in raising a kid. I mean, I don't think Konata ever grew up "innocent" much less had any normal childhood. Like my community would've had a Megan alert on his tail soon as he landed here. In a crazy way, maybe their both being so hyper into video games was a merciful distraction (his) from Konata...

Dee
... Ugh, are you kidding me? "Special interests," as Konata puts it, do not a criminal make.
He dotes on Konata because she reminds him of his late wife. If he were actually psychotic then this probably would have made for some really creepy developments, but there's none of that.
Old 2008-02-06, 00:09   Link #2378
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
I truly believe anime cultural gaps can be bridged by a good subbing team. My cousin plugged me in Ranma 1/2 with some video tapes from a real nice fan-sub (Ranma had dozens of different groups!!) group who not only did great translations but took the time to quote explanations of cultural and in-side joke and religious mentions along the way that would've gone over your head or been messed entirely by most non-Japanese. Really made me appreciate and enjoy Ranma so much better. Unfortunately(?) I think only deep-fandom outfits will be so caring as to take the trouble, unlike the "official" sub-titled versions. I hope the same happens with Lucky Star's obscure mentions (like with smells, shrine maidens, Iris in the train station, "the cute round froggie -- depleted uranium thing"??...etc)

Dee
My reading and watching of Genshiken was greatly improved due to translators notes. Although I understood most of the puns and cultural things anyway, it was the anime references that threw me off.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 02:41   Link #2379
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
... Ugh, are you kidding me? "Special interests," as Konata puts it, do not a criminal make.
He dotes on Konata because she reminds him of his late wife. If he were actually psychotic then this probably would have made for some really creepy developments, but there's none of that.
Good relief, cos an unfortunately high percentage of Doujinshis in Akihabara is based on such subject matters....

....and another high percentage speculates that since she more often than not embodies male roles in her sexual fantasies (courtesy of, once again, her father's lef-over video games), she would more than likely grow up to be a lesbian, with poor Kagamin as the "girl" of the relationship.

But back on the "parent" matter.

Miyuki has grown up to be emotionally well adjusted, smart and kind, but does the fact that Yukari STILL stupid and lazy in her roles as a mom (however sweet, cute and knd she may be) make her a bad parent?

Just wondering what everyone else thinks...
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 10:21   Link #2380
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
Miyuki has grown up to be emotionally well adjusted, smart and kind, but does the fact that Yukari STILL stupid and lazy in her roles as a mom (however sweet, cute and knd she may be) make her a bad parent?
How best to say this -- it's the _result_ of parenting that determines a good parent, not the type of parent you are (technically it ought be the same thing I suppose). I don't think of Yukari as stupid or lazy tho', in light of how well Miyuki came out (tho' it'd be interesting why she has no sibs then). Rather I think of Yukari's outward appearance as being innocently deceptive, kind of like stumbling and fumbling and clueless-seeming detective Columbo in those old Columbo re-runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
Good relief, cos an unfortunately high percentage of Doujinshis in Akihabara is based on such subject matters....

....and another high percentage speculates that since she more often than not embodies male roles in her sexual fantasies (courtesy of, once again, her father's lef-over video games), she would more than likely grow up to be a lesbian, with poor Kagamin as the "girl" of the relationship.
Without sounding a shock-jock just throwing 'round that idea for fun, by the way Konata shamelessly carries on and talks ("only an old man would say that!!"), it's almost a given she's at least latently bisexual, which would perfectly understandable if she was weaned on all the weird diversity found in dating-sims and vid games ever since a toddler on Soun's knee. Kagami is harder to figure. She's smart, pretty, yet not even a casual boyfriend. Either she puts them off or isn't turned on (maybe that's the definition of a Lucky Star girl). I'm relatively new to anime and haven't seen more than 17 LS eps and never the manga so I don't know what Kagami's middle school boy situation was, but either way it seems once she meets Konata her eyes for guys seem shut. So what keeps her bouncing back to Konata who really abuses her so? How long would you stick with someone ALWAYS copying your homework and makes some pretty cruel cracks about you in public? Is she just a glutton for punishment -- or is there more? Now if Kagami is actually boy-shy, then Konata is her "perfect boyfriend"; super-athetletic, equivalently intelligent (capable of cramming weeks of work in one nite and still make good exam grades), and aggressive. We know Kagami cares a lot about Konata because she's always on her case and from that tender concert seat swap. I think if Konata did a serious hit on Kagami (and I think she toys with that idea a lot), Kagami would tip over once all her sputtering denial got vented. I can also see Kagami, once over that hump, trying to refine Konata to her classy level -- she'd like that since it doesn't work with Tsukasa. I can't second-guess the writers, but I've a sneaky suspicion they planted this subtle insinuation.

Dee

http://luckystarfans.com/

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen