AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-03-18, 17:50   Link #23861
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
Now I'm confused. @_@ Isn't Shiro and Mizuki two OC's from MGLN BlazerS, that happen to be trained by Nanoha (or work under her, I don't remmeber clearly) and the name stated as a coincidence between him and Nanoha's father?

Edit: Pageclaim for confuse naming.
I suppose I might be confused as to who's actually being written about in that short . I've never read MGLN BlazerS, so if those are the characters kaname08 was referring to, then my apologies.

But if the short had been referring to Nanoha's canon parents, then it's Momoko and Shiro. Sorry if I made a mistake in understanding who the characters were, I saw Shiro and assumed that it was referring to Nanoha's parents .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 18:58   Link #23862
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I can't recall exactly why on this one (hammered out all the details with a friend before I decided to abandon the plotbunny), but yes, Nanoha is really Miyuki's only steady support in this AU. If I remember correctly, it was that Kyouya felt too ashamed of his own weakness to get involved and Momoko turned a blind eye on it to pretend there were no problems... or something.
That makes it even more sad and terrifying for Miyuki!

...and now I'm terrified for Nanoha as well!
Old 2010-03-18, 21:49   Link #23863
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
That makes it even more sad and terrifying for Miyuki!

...and now I'm terrified for Nanoha as well!
That was the idea. The original thought was supposed to be that it caused some serious conflict in Nanoha during first season, because she was in a situation where she would have also benefited from gathering the Jewel Seeds and had to resist the urge for the greater good.
Old 2010-03-18, 23:13   Link #23864
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
I suppose I might be confused as to who's actually being written about in that short . I've never read MGLN BlazerS, so if those are the characters kaname08 was referring to, then my apologies.

But if the short had been referring to Nanoha's canon parents, then it's Momoko and Shiro. Sorry if I made a mistake in understanding who the characters were, I saw Shiro and assumed that it was referring to Nanoha's parents .
My apologies for the confusion, but just to be clear to everyone here, the Shiro that I'M referring to is the one in my fanfic whose name is Shiro Higurashi. I'm not talking about Nanoha's father in any way, shape, or form when I wrote that short.

However, I might possibly make a change at a certain point in my fanfic because in chapter 5, he was pondering on his "real identity". I'll eventually be taking a slight break from it to work on the background history of the planet that one of my key characters is from.
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 06:57   Link #23865
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Spoiler for Space:

Obligatory Trope Link.

Last edited by spawnofthejudge; 2010-03-19 at 08:38.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 08:23   Link #23866
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
And An Obligatory Scold...don't waste space on that many quotes. Just explain yourself.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 08:43   Link #23867
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
And An Obligatory Scold...don't waste space on that many quotes. Just explain yourself.
Sure, since the more I think about it, the more I like the trope quoted.

When writing fanfic, it's important to have all of your characters recognizable. OCs are hard to get people to like, as most people are reading fanfic in order to read more about characters that they already know. So when you name an OC such that their name is easily confusable with a CC, you're basically asking for this confusion in any short that comes up that only contains the OC without explanation.

Ergo, I think it's a good idea to never do that with an OC. Always have OC names distinct from all easily recognizable CC names, with the possible exception of really obscure ones (like ones that really should only have the name "Shopgirl" in the credits). In this specific case, the two OC names are close to two particular CC names that would often deal with each other (as they live in the same household), further increasing the opportunity for confusion for those who are coming in without knowledge of the fic that the short is based in.

Also, since you mentioned it, I edited my previous post for space.
Old 2010-03-19, 10:22   Link #23868
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Sure, since the more I think about it, the more I like the trope quoted.

When writing fanfic, it's important to have all of your characters recognizable. OCs are hard to get people to like, as most people are reading fanfic in order to read more about characters that they already know. So when you name an OC such that their name is easily confusable with a CC, you're basically asking for this confusion in any short that comes up that only contains the OC without explanation.

Ergo, I think it's a good idea to never do that with an OC. Always have OC names distinct from all easily recognizable CC names, with the possible exception of really obscure ones (like ones that really should only have the name "Shopgirl" in the credits). In this specific case, the two OC names are close to two particular CC names that would often deal with each other (as they live in the same household), further increasing the opportunity for confusion for those who are coming in without knowledge of the fic that the short is based in.

Also, since you mentioned it, I edited my previous post for space.
Good point right there. I'll try and keep that in mind when I work on the sequel to my fanfic. (Again I apologize for the confusion).
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 13:02   Link #23869
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Spoiler for 16 year old Vivio on the town!:

To be continued?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 14:13   Link #23870
Jimmy C

I find it amusing that, in all your post-Vivid Vivio fics, you manage to find one reason or another to keep Rio and Corona out of events.
I won't ask you to include them in a fic if you don't want to. But the way you keep making excuses for them is awfully conspicuous. Next time, try not mentioning them at all instead.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 14:14   Link #23871
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Looks interesting, Satashi. More please!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 15:29   Link #23872
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Spoiler for 16 year old Vivio on the town!:

To be continued?
Heh, I see that you've made references to a few things we've talked about, Satashi. Thanks, I hope you continue this
Old 2010-03-19, 18:50   Link #23873
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I find it amusing that, in all your post-Vivid Vivio fics, you manage to find one reason or another to keep Rio and Corona out of events.
I won't ask you to include them in a fic if you don't want to. But the way you keep making excuses for them is awfully conspicuous. Next time, try not mentioning them at all instead.
Better to have them mentioned than to not for what I have planned. Vivio going out on the town would instantly call her friends. I could have changed it to her going to the library right away, but she wouldn't have dressed like that to stay indoors.

Besides, if I didn't mention them, there would be several other people going "Um, I think she would have called her friends at least." Can't please everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Looks interesting, Satashi. More please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Heh, I see that you've made references to a few things we've talked about, Satashi. Thanks, I hope you continue this
KK, I will later on
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 19:21   Link #23874
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
*looks left* hmm...

*looks right* hmm...

*Shifty eyes*

Day in the Life

Chapter 34

"Sickness"

Spoiler for Sickness:

Spoiler for Notes:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 23:21   Link #23875
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Okay. I was trying to write the Chrono x Fate fic, but it turned out into something else altogether. Since I found it amusing enough, I decided to post here anyway.

Spoiler for Best Place:

Spoiler for Author Notes:

Last edited by sniperk; 2010-03-20 at 15:55.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:26   Link #23876
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

*crawls out from a cave and yawns*

Okay~ I'm back from hibernation...

I read through SO MANY threads and posts that the only thing I can vaguely remember is

1) Noe apparently loves his Fate pillow...a lot...
2) Godzilla
3) Floods and Uminari
4) Fate is right-handed while Alicia was left-handed (who knew...)
5) Decisions
6) Logs (YAY! XD)
7) Day in the Life is BACK! (lame reference to Night in the Museum 2...)

Ahem....

@Deathcurse: I love the family interaction between Nanoha and her family. Though I was kinda scared to read that Nanoha was acting normal (or as normal as she can be but you get my point).

@Nanya: *hugs Hayate plushie* I can't wait to read more on Yuuno's family. :3

*falls asleep*
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:38   Link #23877
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
*looks left* hmm...

*looks right* hmm...

*Shifty eyes*

Day in the Life

Chapter 34

"Sickness"
Hurray, a new chapter! Not surprising Hayate would get sick considering all the stress she's been under. Stress does weaken the immune system, making people more sucectable to illness. Wendi's cleared the air with Genya and Nove's working on her feelings too.

I like the last part of this chapter the most and yeah, it understandable Yuuno wouldn't quite remember all the members of his clan, especially since it's been established that he hasn't had much contact with them over the years.

Nanoha being the White Devil is just a fan nickname, though. No one in the series actually calls her that

Quote:
Okay. I was trying to write the Chrono x Fate fic, but it turned out into something else altogether. Since I found it amusing enough, I decided to post here anyway.

Spoiler for Best Place:
Corrections in the quote. Though I can't quite figure out who's who in this fic, so could you toss me a bone, please?
Old 2010-03-20, 14:44   Link #23878
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
*looks left* hmm...

*looks right* hmm...

*Shifty eyes*

Day in the Life

Chapter 34

"Sickness"

Spoiler for Sickness:

Spoiler for Notes:
Poor Hayate! All her work finally caught up to her . It was cute to see her family so concerned, and I liked how there were references to her as their family and as their Mistress...it does beg the question of just how they view her, and what they would do as her "family" as opposed to their "mistress"...or I'm just overthinking it .

Nove's lampshading of Lindy's improbable appearance-vs-her-age made me laugh .

Quote:

Spoiler for Best Place:

Spoiler for Author Notes:
Whew, I see what you mean by it being vague! I admit, I personally don't like reading vague stories...it makes it too hard to cement down in my mind what nuances I should be picking up from the story, since I would interpret details differently depending on which character it was...

Mother's marriage? So if it was Chrono, then who is Lindy marrying? ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post

Okay~ I'm back from hibernation...

I read through SO MANY threads and posts that the only thing I can vaguely remember is

2) Godzilla
3) Floods and Uminari
5) Decisions
6) Logs (YAY! XD)

Ahem....

@Deathcurse: I love the family interaction between Nanoha and her family. Though I was kinda scared to read that Nanoha was acting normal (or as normal as she can be but you get my point).

@Nanya: *hugs Hayate plushie* I can't wait to read more on Yuuno's family. :3

*falls asleep*
Alavon! XD *glomps*

Normal as in sky-diving, or as in keeping secrets? I admit, it was RB who suggested the heavy family-centric story, and it was interesting to write Nanoha's side of things . I think I like writing Fate's POV more because then it makes Nanoha's sudden, crazy and unexpected actions funnier !

Glad you liked ^^, and that you're out of hibernation!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 15:25   Link #23879
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Nanoha being the White Devil is just a fan nickname, though. No one in the series actually calls her that
Well~...she HAS been called a "thing" and a "monster" by Signum...*whistles*...

@Deathcurse: *is glomped* XD Yup! I'm back from Hibernation! :3 And sky-diving IS normal by normal standards... lol
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 15:29   Link #23880
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Corrections in the quote. Though I can't quite figure out who's who in this fic, so could you toss me a bone, please?
Spoiler for Bones:

Thanks again, man. Already edited the post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post

2) Godzilla
3) Floods and Uminari
5) Decisions
6) Logs (YAY! XD)
Wew. Thank god you were only hibernating. I thought that you got fed up with the story, since you didn't commented anymore. (assuming the number 5 is about the fic XD )

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Whew, I see what you mean by it being vague! I admit, I personally don't like reading vague stories...it makes it too hard to cement down in my mind what nuances I should be picking up from the story, since I would interpret details differently depending on which character it was...

Mother's marriage? So if it was Chrono, then who is Lindy marrying? ....
**Points to spoiler in the beggining of the post** XD
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha