AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-12-16, 19:32   Link #221
sayde

I appreciate your honest spoiler-free impressions GHDpro. From the sounds of things, I think I'm gonna enjoy episode 7 a lot.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 20:59   Link #222
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Jumping the gun a bit considering that the various anthology films and Rebels could easily bring in anything from the old EU as long as it isn't about the Heroes of Yavin. In fact they have been sneaking stuff into the Clone Wars and later Rebels since 2008. Who knows what they could try to pull off after The Force Awakens.
Well, yeah. The Prequels were full of stuff from the EU. But the thing is that what they really did (and do with Rebels) is take the general idea from the EU and bastardize it into something completely different. Take Dathomir, for example. The Clone Wars absolutely ruined what was a phenomenal and interesting idea. The Dathomir you see in TCW is nothing like what is seen in the books or other media of the EU.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 22:31   Link #223
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

[spoiler free]

Just came back from watching it at the cinemas.

Just wow. This was one of the heavily hyped films that actually managed to deliver (kinda like the Avengers did a few years back). I have to applaude J.J. Abrams for keeping my full attention from start to finish.

I'll follow GHDpro's lead and not go into the plot details or specifics.

The soundtrack, cinematography, comedy, nostalgia and new characters all receive 5/5 from me.

As for the plot direction, I can agree that it was definitely building up to a sequel movie/s. I'm not too surprised by this as compared to the original trilogy, the sequels were guaranteed from the outset. But regardless, its the beginning of a new story and works fine even as a standalone film, let alone a Star Wars film.

In short, miles ahead of the prequel trilogy. Definitely up there with the likes of the original trilogy, probably not better than Episode 5 but it would certainly give Episode 4 a run for its money.

8.5/10 (Not that a score means anything, I'd give it full points for simply not being shit).

Very ballsy moves Abrams. Kylo Ren is such a douche.
Old 2015-12-17, 00:25   Link #224
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

These are my opinions:

> This is THE best Star Wars movie since Episode V.

> JJ Abrams deserves my worship for having set two "Star" franchises ablaze for new generations to come.

> Daisy Ridley reminds me a lot of Emma Watson. The classical English rose. I like! Looking forward to seeing more of her, and the rest of the cast, in the next two movies!
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 03:53   Link #225
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Just came back from the theater.

All I can say is that, regardless of whether you loved it or not, I guarantee that a certain scene in the film will become one of the biggest controversial events in cinema history for years to come. I was in a packed cinema and the entire damn theater gasped in collective unison when it happened, young and old alike. I think the father in front of me was crying seconds after it happened.

My jaw just dropped when it did... just... completely ballsy move by the screenwriter and director. I may or may not have felt a tear come down my eye.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2015-12-17 at 04:04.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 04:52   Link #226
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
All I can say is that, regardless of whether you loved it or not, I guarantee that a certain scene in the film will become one of the biggest controversial events in cinema history for years to come. I was in a packed cinema and the entire damn theater gasped in collective unison when it happened, young and old alike. I think the father in front of me was crying seconds after it happened.

My jaw just dropped when it did... just... completely ballsy move by the screenwriter and director. I may or may not have felt a tear come down my eye.
Thanks for that hint. If my guess is right about what actually happened in that scene, I think there's some truth to the leaked script.
Old 2015-12-17, 05:43   Link #227
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ GHD, are you familiar with the leaked script from MSW? If so, is the story the same as (or similar to) the one in the actual movie?
I had to look that one up as I hadn't heard of it (nor would have read it if I did)
Spoiler:
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 06:11   Link #228
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I had to look that one up as I hadn't heard of it (nor would have read it if I did)
Spoiler:
Ah, I thought so. Some details are indeed a bit lacking in it I thought. But it turns out to be true in general. Thanks for the confirmation .
Old 2015-12-17, 07:37   Link #229
B214

Yeah just saw the movie. Definitely an enjoyable watch, had some great emotional moments, a good fight just good though not great. And the characters seem to be developed quite well.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 08:12   Link #230
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Just saw the movie too, it's a great Star Wars movie, with likeable new characters, and Kylo Ren is definitely a douchebag.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:17   Link #231
AntonKutovoi

First I have to say that I am one of those few people that considers prequel trilogy to be great.
Did I found this one to be better than prequels? No. It is a good movie though. But hardly great.
Main characters are good, but villians are EXTREMLY weak. Kylo Ren is just pathetic little b*tch with anger issues and his boss looks like a "Hobbit" reject (this one have a little screen time, so it's not fair to judge yet, though). There's no excise for Kylo Ren though. As soon as his mask was off, he turned from intimidating person into more annoying version of Anakin.

Last edited by AntonKutovoi; 2015-12-17 at 11:52.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:31   Link #232
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Just got back watching the movie.

My opinion? Awesome!

It mixes what's best of the Star Wars films with a great story, new characters, great special effects and awesome music. There are a lot cool and funny moments in film, even sad ones.

Despite what all the trailers shown us, nothing gave us the hint of what film story really was. So prepare for some revelations and twists.

All in all, everyone should watch this movie. Here's hoping the sequel is great as well.
Old 2015-12-17, 11:38   Link #233
Tormenk

Just saw the movie. Rey and Finn both made for good protagonists with solid developments for both of them. Kylo Ren certainly will get you invested into him, whether you like him or not by the end of the movie.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 14:12   Link #234
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
First I have to say that I am one of those few people that considers prequel trilogy to be great.
Did I found this one to be better than prequels? No. It is a good movie though. But hardly great.
Main characters are good, but villians are EXTREMLY weak. Kylo Ren is just pathetic little b*tch with anger issues and his boss looks like a "Hobbit" reject (this one have a little screen time, so it's not fair to judge yet, though). There's no excise for Kylo Ren though. As soon as his mask was off, he turned from intimidating person into more annoying version of Anakin.
Thank you.
Glad I'm not the only one that has those feelings.

However, as a counter point, John Williams score for the movie is awesome (as usual), and the CG is amazing.

It's still a good movie (better than most) in my opinion, but I agree it is on par with the prequels not the original three (ep 4, 5, 6).
Old 2015-12-17, 14:38   Link #235
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
his boss looks like a "Hobbit" reject
That's not far off actually as he is portrayed by Andy Serkis (Gollum).

Spoiler for minor spoiler - do not open if you haven't seen it yet:
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 20:22   Link #236
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
While I'll be waiting a few weeks (on purpose) to see the movie, I am reading peoples' comments, to an extent. I've read a lot of comments that there is a LOT of Episode IV in the movie, even some things I hadn't read about through magazine articles or gleaned from the trailers. My concern for this movie is only growing.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 20:38   Link #237
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
While I'll be waiting a few weeks (on purpose) to see the movie, I am reading peoples' comments, to an extent. I've read a lot of comments that there is a LOT of Episode IV in the movie, even some things I hadn't read about through magazine articles or gleaned from the trailers. My concern for this movie is only growing.
Its certainly true but I don't think it hurts the movie as much as you fear that it might. I think its the characters that pull their weight to make this a great film. Even Kylo Ren.
Old 2015-12-17, 21:27   Link #238
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

What the fuck, Swordmaster CC Smith and Mr Abrams

There was NO reason you had to drag the Swordsmanship of the New Trilogy from the Epic Majesty of "Wuxia" Cinema back down to the sleep-inducing antics of Erroll Flynn pirate movies.

It may have been at times unrestrained, yes, but Mr Lucas finally SUCCEEDED in creating the mythical Space-Wuxia Saga that Star Wars was meant to be with his manic but well-meaning prequels

This is something that both MR CC Smith AND Mr Abrams FAILED to realize: they gave us merely a competently made but restrained War Movie with a few laser swords rather than the Space Wuxia Epic that Star Wars is MEANT to be.

Shame on you both.
Old 2015-12-17, 21:35   Link #239
larethian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Thank you.
Glad I'm not the only one that has those feelings.

However, as a counter point, John Williams score for the movie is awesome (as usual), and the CG is amazing.

It's still a good movie (better than most) in my opinion, but I agree it is on par with the prequels not the original three (ep 4, 5, 6).
I'd say it's a great movie rather than good, personally speaking, partly because of the nostalgia. But objectively speaking, since I rewatched the previous 6 often enough, I don't particularly find it better than the previous 6.

Spoiler for contains plot spoilers on some areas in comparison to the previous movies:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 01:56   Link #240
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just watch

8/10 nothing original, sorta a remake of ep4 but executed well. The ending was pretty obvious halfway through to anyone with a bit of imagination.

Spoiler for speculation for ep8:

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2015-12-18 at 19:59.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote