Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-12, 10:16   Link #221
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
But... he wouldn't because his weapon is not enough to kill vampires. Guren said as much.
Maybe not "kill" it, but definitely kick it's ass. Like he was doing pretty much the whole fight till the "Friends" got involved.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 10:27   Link #222
nooneagain

the OP song feels like A/Z and SnK combined to me. regarding Yuu...I won't really mind if he turns out as eren 2.0 I actually liked Eren, I find him quite annoying at some points but I managed to like him for the most part, and Eren Vs Annie, I really felt his rage damn. If this MC turns out as eren-like, I won't really mind but I'd prefer it if he wouldn't. too early to tell though, alright Id drop it here.
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 10:42   Link #223
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Aside from what some of us have wrote about the standard-seaming school setting, what flaw did you see in this episode? I'm genuinely curious.

There are some unanswered questions still out there, but given how it's only Episode 2, I'm going to give the anime some more episodes to, well, answer them.

If I come to find those answers unbelievable - or if the anime just hand-waves these questions entirely - I'll probably make some criticisms then. But I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt for now at least.
Won't want to spoil or color your expectations then. But then again, I might be biased. After all, I've read more than 60 volumes of the author's books across 4 series for the last 7 years. I've found a lot of (perhaps subjective) problems sometimes with character behavior, events and parts of the setting. However, I also found great awesomeness in other areas that more than compensate for the issues and I've enjoyed each series thoroughly despite the issues. Some aspects I greatly enjoy in the author's works are:
1. Epic worldview, things are always bigger than they seem
2. Unexpected foreshadowing which I didn't know were foreshadowing
3. Rich monologue and richly fleshed characters (especially in his 2nd series, Densetsu Yuusha no Densetsu, which took 22 volumes to set the stage and fleshed the characters before moving to the main story, which took a number of readers by surprise, again adding to (1))
4. Characters are often in states of turmoil, many of them (even the supporting ones) have to go through and overcome lots of shit (made clear during backstories) which clearly define why they are who they are 'now'.

As to stuff that makes me bang my head, I'll just keep them for myself

Well at the very least, this adaptation can be considered 'good', while the last 2 adaptations on his other works were crap.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 13:24   Link #224
MartianMage

Quote:
But... he wouldn't because his weapon is not enough to kill vampires. Guren said as much.
Definitely one of Yu's facepalm moments really... seriously if Yu didn't have super thick main character plot armor this story would be over so fast because of his idiocy...
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 13:45   Link #225
Iron Maw
Banned

Yay! The best character in the show has shown up.

Seriously Shinoa is worth to have around if not just for making Yuu tolerable. Otherwise not bad for a standard intro and setup episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, no. I remember the reasons they gave. I'm just saying that, while the existence of normal schools itself isn't absurd, having one in the story like that is.
Quote:
Come on, the protagonist is school-aged, there's got to be a school in the story.
Honestly I groaned when this came up in the manga too but I'll say this, as hinted by the end of the episode the status quo won't remain around for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Maybe not "kill" it, but definitely kick it's ass. Like he was doing pretty much the whole fight till the "Friends" got involved.
No actually Yuu lost the moment he was thrown out of that building and if he didn't have some convenient placed branches to break his fall he's spine would have been broken. The vampire would have been no worse off either. Yuu did decently in holding off for bit with some help, but ultimately he was fighting a losing battle because he could not deal any real damage. Let not forget this one was malnourished.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-04-12 at 14:14.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 15:44   Link #226
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneagain View Post
the OP song feels like A/Z and SnK combined to me.
Same composer. Sawano is working on the soundtrack for this anime too.
Old 2015-04-12, 15:46   Link #227
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
I'm with you that the vampires creating the virus seem the most logical, however, even then, it runs into the "infertile cattle" problem that I outlined above.
Only if that virus keeps killing adults, forever. If it only kills for a few days or weeks and then disappears, it's fine. Except for the need caretakers. As far as cattle goes, humans are a lot more high maintenance than pigs.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2015-04-12 at 17:38.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 16:03   Link #228
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Only if that virus keeps killing adults, forever. If it only kills for a few days or weeks and then disappear, it's fine. Except for the need caretakers. As far as cattle goes, humans are a lot more high maintenance than pigs.
Well now there's a lot of assumptions. For one thing why on earth would vampires want to genocide the human race.

In any event why the heck would vampires be the one who created the virus in the first place. They clearly not scientists, nor are they even magicians.

Heck even the random monsters outside hurts vampires more then help.

The director and the writing is pretty good in that, they made it just believable enough that people are making assumptions, when it's really completely illogical. There's clearly lots of subtle hints that screams "Things don't make sense".
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 16:22   Link #229
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
It would be an interesting twist, but incredibly stupid on the military's part. Why would you create and release a virus that could potentially kill all of humanity? You would destroy most of Earth's work force, the people who would be making all the military's supplies. You would also be killing or endangering any potential new recruits that the army needs to keep going. And 13 year olds and younger don't make good soldiers. You have to wait at minimum of 3 years to get any fresh people and that would be suicide for any military fighting an active war.

Now it's possible they created the virus to destroy the vampires, which is again still stupid since viruses are renowned for mutating when you least expect it and being very hard to control. They messed up big time if they couldn't even get the target host right.

But I'm still thinking it was the vampires, the way they marched right into town that night and took control and gathered all the children looked like they were going according to plan and they knew what would happen and we're prepared to take over.
It wouldn't exactly be unreasonable (in an anime setting) if the military had a vaccine for the virus (which was already brought up here) and their people (or chosen people) get vaccinated, which results in the Executive body that currently runs the facilities we saw in ep2. Without adults to question their authority or infuse the innocent children with dangerous knowledge, the military can easily control the young population with propaganda. If the kids grow up with falsified information (like what we saw with the Vampires), they wouldn't think to question military rule (or desire greater freedom beyond their gilded cage). So by killing the majority of the adult human population, it would be easier for them to conquer the world. (As for viral mutation...I don't think the anime series will delve that deep into scientific facts. )

Yeah, it does seem suspicious that the vampires may be aware of the event ahead of time but the white-haired vamp did make a comment about human foolishness and that they're reaping from humanity's error. Of course he could be lying but the way he said it made me think there might be some truth to it.

Honestly, I think it's too easy and straightforward to have the Vampires be the sole culprit. I'm sure there's a human connection somewhere.

One interesting thing about Mika, the OP suggests he may have been turned into a vampire but his eyes remain human-looking. So he's not truly a vampire like the others (?)...don't know if there's anything to that or not.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 16:56   Link #230
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yay! The best character in the show has shown up.

Seriously Shinoa is worth to have around if not just for making Yuu tolerable. Otherwise not bad for a standard intro and setup episode.

Honestly I groaned when this came up in the manga too but I'll say this, as hinted by the end of the episode the status quo won't remain around for long.

No actually Yuu lost the moment he was thrown out of that building and if he didn't have some convenient placed branches to break his fall he's spine would have been broken. The vampire would have been no worse off either. Yuu did decently in holding off for bit with some help, but ultimately he was fighting a losing battle because he could not deal any real damage. Let not forget this one was malnourished.
Well duh, why was it that he got thrown out of the building? oh right, friends got involved. He was too busy chitchatting and worrying about the weakling that he got his ass thrown out of the building.
Old 2015-04-12, 17:01   Link #231
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Out of curiosity, does it bother anyone else that our MC is standing in the snow with his bare feet? I remember during a winter storm I made the mistake of clearing snow from my car with my hand... My hand went numb in about 30 seconds, making me rush into the house and putting my hand into hot water for a good minute or so.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:06   Link #232
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Well duh, why was it that he got thrown out of the building? oh right, friends got involved. He was too busy chitchatting and worrying about the weakling that he got his ass thrown out of the building.
one could argue it was his fault for getting distracted during a battle, showing lack of experience, even if the raw combat skills are not bad

wish i could join in the assumptions, but it wouldn't be fair and it would be hard doing it while avoiding any spoiler
even if there are plenty hints around to have a general idea of the background plot
the current assumptions are pretty interesting, given some things are still unclear even in the manga

just to point out a piece of information from episode 1, any guesses on what guren said right after finding yuu at the end of the episode? (not the prophecy BS, that other thing right after)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Out of curiosity, does it bother anyone else that our MC is standing in the snow with his bare feet? I remember during a winter storm I made the mistake of clearing snow from my car with my hand... My hand went numb in about 30 seconds, making me rush into the house and putting my hand into hot water for a good minute or so.
the creative direction should not have much experience with cold climates xD
but to try to make sense of it, maybe he was too shocked to notice, since he has just escaped, lost his second-family, found out the virus killing everyone was not totally true..
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:14   Link #233
GDB

Quote:
And if it weren't for said friend, the vampire would've drank the blood of that girl, gotten considerably stronger, and wrecked his face.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:42   Link #234
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Well now there's a lot of assumptions. For one thing why on earth would vampires want to genocide the human race.
Because they think that ruling over 700 millions is better than hiding from 7 billions.

Quote:
In any event why the heck would vampires be the one who created the virus in the first place. They clearly not scientists, nor are they even magicians.
From what we've seen, they have human level intelligence. Why wouldn't some of them be scientists?

Quote:
Heck even the random monsters outside hurts vampires more then help.
Why? It threatens non-cattle humans. How does it hurt vampires?

Quote:
The director and the writing is pretty good in that, they made it just believable enough that people are making assumptions, when it's really completely illogical. There's clearly lots of subtle hints that screams "Things don't make sense".
... It's a story with vampires. I don't expect all that much sense.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:55   Link #235
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Coming from a cold weather climate myself... Yeah, I winced a bit when I saw him standing in the show with his bare feet. Thankfully, though, the adult humans came to his aid pretty quickly, so it wasn't too hard on my suspension of disbelief.
Old 2015-04-12, 18:11   Link #236
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Coming from a cold weather climate myself... Yeah, I winced a bit when I saw him standing in the show with his bare feet. Thankfully, though, the adult humans came to his aid pretty quickly, so it wasn't too hard on my suspension of disbelief.
Also, there's the shock and adrenaline too that can affect his sense of feeling. He was in a "fight or flight" situation, your body can do some amazing things without you telling it to in that state. Including standing in snow with your bare feet.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 19:06   Link #237
bakato

Quote:
If you looks closely, you can see a bit of red in his feet, which I find is a nice touch.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 19:13   Link #238
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And if it weren't for said friend, the vampire would've drank the blood of that girl, gotten considerably stronger, and wrecked his face.
OR, he could use that opportunity to cleave her in half, down the middle. From what we've seen so far, drinking isn't instantaneous and only an idiot will sit patiently while a vampire finishes drinking in front of their face.
Old 2015-04-12, 19:16   Link #239
GDB

As if she couldn't just carry the human while flipping around and drinking? She's superior in speed and strength. Plus the sword couldn't kill her. Both she and Guren said as much.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 19:20   Link #240
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
OR, he could use that opportunity to cleave her in half, down the middle. From what we've seen so far, drinking isn't instantaneous and only an idiot will sit patiently while a vampire finishes drinking in front of their face.
Except he's no where that fast as Yuu was barely keeping up with her movements. If she managed to get herself a power boost (as would been likely scenario without Yoich's interference) Yuu probably wouldn't be around standing here right now.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-04-12 at 20:00.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shonen, vampire