AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-10-30, 04:46   Link #221
GoTz
Deleted

i need to start reading again...i really enjoy reading fantasy with magic and stuff, can anyone recommend me some? or maybe some good japanese books (in english) kind of like manga but an actual book hehe

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 10:36   Link #222
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
That what happened to me when I was reading Robert Jordan's. When a new volume come out and I started to read. I was like "Who was this character again, what was she doing in the last book? Where did that character come from, I don't remember him." *confused* *confused*....... *skip to Mat or Perrin chapter* ^_^;;;
That's why I read the chapters about minor characters, but I eventually dismiss them as subject to being killed off later. That seems to happen a lot in the WoT series. And Rand can never seem to catch a break.

to GoTz: Look through this thread, and youll see the best titles repeated many times. Best way to find good reading, IMO.
Old 2006-10-30, 19:31   Link #223
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I had mixed feelings for minor characters, if they were important to progress on the main story line then sure it is necessary to be told. But say if you take out some the minor character and there was nothing major impacts on the main story line, then what would be the point of developing them. Like rambling on and on make the book thicker.

That kinda remind of a character in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. One of his book there was a boy that had a short character development and suddenly got killed at the end of the book after he delivered the Sword. That was quite pointless. >_< Just my rant on authors that do strange cruel thing like that to their characters.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 21:00   Link #224
GoTz
Deleted

yep been doing that =) Spectacular_Insanity

i just went to borders and bought Terry Brooks "First King of Shannara" the prequel to the series...if i like it im gonna continue it

Currently Watching:Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, Nabari no Ou, Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier, KGNE, Higurashi,
Kanon 2006,
Top Favorites:Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Juuni Kokki, Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass, Serei no Moribito, Death Note, Eureka Seven, Claymore
GoTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 22:24   Link #225
Knightmare213

First time posting here...

Right now, I'm reading Flags of Our Fathers, the stories of the six US Marine flagraisers in the Battle of Iwo Jima during WWII.

Just before this, I read Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose, which was also the series of the same name was produced few years back (which was kick-ass).

I also read the Eragon novels. Unfortunately, I found the details of the settings to be very complex for me. Probably because I only lived in cities unlike Paolini lived in forests almost all the time to boost his imagination.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-31, 10:58   Link #226
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
That what happened to me when I was reading Robert Jordan's. When a new volume come out and I started to read. I was like "Who was this character again, what was she doing in the last book? Where did that character come from, I don't remember him." *confused* *confused*....... *skip to Mat or Perrin chapter* ^_^;;;
What most people do is reread the previous book(s) before reading the one that got released. And repeat that every time a new title gets released (with WoT, thats like every 2-3 years). It was never something I did, but yes, fans of the Fantasy genre are long-suffering indeed.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 02:51   Link #227
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
What most people do is reread the previous book(s) before reading the one that got released. And repeat that every time a new title gets released (with WoT, thats like every 2-3 years). It was never something I did, but yes, fans of the Fantasy genre are long-suffering indeed.
....or, you could read an online summary.
http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/
http://hem.passagen.se/wotcomp/ (warning, popup blocked by Firefox)

Just borrowed Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell on a whim from the library. It's fantasy with a historical twist (19th century England to be exact). The 1000 pages in extra tiny font in a paperback book intrigued me. Maybe I'll finish it, maybe I won't, but hey, borrowing's free.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 15:39   Link #228
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

If I can bother you with the opinions of the books I've read for the past few days, kindly proceed here.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 19:12   Link #229
Tasukiseishi
Fangirls!? Where!?

Send a message via MSN to Tasukiseishi
I just finished reading Conspiracy Game by Christine Feehan. I LOVED IT! I can't wait for the next one to come out in February! *jumping up and down!*
Tasukiseishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 08:18   Link #230
BiteAdust

Any mythologies ( Greek, Norse, Celtic), Illiad, Odyssy, Aeneas.

But I'm now stucking on Xenophon's The expedition of Cyrus.
BiteAdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 09:19   Link #231
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I finished reading a Mack Bolan novel yesterday; right now, I've started reading on Southeast Asian history (just for kicks).

As for the recommendations, GoTz, any book by Kawabata, Mishima, Tanizaki, Soseki, Kenzaburo Oe, Osamu Dazai will do.
Old 2006-11-08, 10:40   Link #232
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm reading Heretics of Dune right now, but I'm not really dedicated to it that much. After Leto II died, I'm not really motivated by many of the new characters...
Old 2006-11-08, 21:57   Link #233
Fullmetal_Axel
Disgaea Fan

I'm readin .Hack another birth vol.2
Fullmetal_Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 03:33   Link #234
noisytime
Insignificant Member

.... I typed myself into a corner.

Last edited by noisytime; 2006-11-09 at 03:35. Reason: edited
noisytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 10:36   Link #235
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I can't believe I'm having a hard time reading history. I may have been too entrenched in the ways of reading a history book from classes in history that subliminally, I try to memorize that different names and places in the book, and this subsequently slows my reading. I hope I can control this urge - it's no fun to read a book feeling that.
Old 2006-11-09, 15:21   Link #236
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

I read 3 types of books...

1) My textbooks... for post grad and continual education

2) Drama/thriller. Latest one was Angels & Devils by Dan Brown. Crappy writer but interesting history tidbits interwoven with the fiction.

3) Finance. Latest interesting book was Rich Dad Poor Dad by Kyosaki. Nice perspective and some informative tips.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 10:47   Link #237
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just finished the entire Halo trilogy (yes, they did make a book out of the game)

The Fall of Reach, check
The Flood, check
First Strike, check

I got them all read in two days. I found out what SPARTAN-117, the Master Chief's real name is...

Spoiler for And here it is...:

Spoiler for and theres more:
Old 2006-11-13, 11:36   Link #238
Knightmare213

To add another book in list is the book titled Lolita, by Vladimir Navokov.

No joke, y'all.

The book was first published by a French publishing company, unfortunately an Erotica-genre publishing company, in 1955.

Lolita is not a sex-filled book...although people may be disgusted by the fact that it is a very 'realistic' love story between a sexually-active 12-year-old and a mid-aged man who had an interest with young girls, all of them in a sexual manner.

So why did I pick up this book at a local bookstore? I had no choice to, since this is actually one of my text book and the source of my essay topic for my English course at the University of Toronto.

I have to say, it's a good book, but a sickening one, so far.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 03:27   Link #239
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm reading Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. Some say it's the best thing since toast.
Old 2006-11-14, 07:51   Link #240
Trinity Black
just a brazilian girl

Send a message via MSN to Trinity Black
This month I've read: Size 12 is not fa, by Meg Cabot; A Garota da Terra do Vento, by Licia Troisi; A Missão de Senar, by Licia Troisi; When Lightning Strikes, by Meg Cabot.

I think.
Trinity Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books