3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-21, 07:43   Link #241
cyth
Banned

So, what do you think about my observation that there's much incentive to let magicians such as Kirihara off the hook for improper behavior? Do you think that's inconsistent with Mahouka's world? Please don't refute it with such bullshit as "the author didn't specify."

As for your soapboxing ...

The thing is, as easy it is to throw around descriptors like "bad writing", it's the same for throwing around insults like "armchair critic". Which is worse? A personal opinion that sounds like it's stated as a fact, or an actual insult? What about your insults of labeling critics as hopeless individuals that nitpick for the sake of nitpicking? Has the possibility that some of us get bored and need stuff to watch, on top of liking a good discussion, never occured to you? Don't see any value in raising a controversial point? Maybe that's where we differ, but I do.

People can and will criticize Mahouka merely because many find that it's comparatively worse to other shows of its type. Comparison is the foundation of modern critical analysis. What I've read of your defenses of this show isn't really establishing its quality, merely categorically rejecting our observations in hopes of your success getting reflected in the show's inherent quality. If you do think so, you're doing Mahouka huge disservice.
Old 2014-05-21, 08:21   Link #242
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
So Mahouka is getting all bloody and interesting now. Also, it's beginning to become clear that (A) There are apparently no teachers at this school and the students just do everything themselves, and (2) they can basically do whatever they want to criminals/terrorists. What a scary future this is.

I was sad that Erika didn't get another fight scene (given the status of my signature at present I'm sure this comes as a shock to many of you). Tatsuya and Miyuki both got a single detail of their powers revealed, but beyond that there really wasn't anything that happened there. That being said, watching Erika fight the kendo girl was pretty badass, and I suspect this will be my favorite fight scene in this show until her next big fight.

On another note, Mahouka is very gray. My understanding is that this is in part because of the writing of the novel as well. What I'm beginning to notice is that the characters in this show with the exception of three of supporting female cast are very bland. Tossing Mayumi, Mari, and Erika into the scenes tends to make things a bit more interesting to watch. Outside of scenes with those characters this show is sort of like staring out a window on a rainy day. "What's a joke? What are these emotions you speak of? The heck is 'fun'?"
About your last point, the anime => yes, totally agree , the one that is stealing the show is Erika (you know why, right? ), Mari is second, while Miyuki is.....bottom of the list OR top of the "hate list" .

But the LN? Dunno, but at least they don't feel "bland" to me
Old 2014-05-21, 08:39   Link #243
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*stepping on a soap box*
Tbh most of the arrogant posts are from Mahouka's defenders. Yours kinda topped it right there by a far margin.

The argument that it is fictional hence we should take everything at face value and accept that it's perfectly rational just because the fiction tells us so is silly. That's not how the human mind works. The more suspension of disbelief the show asks of us the stronger its internal logic needs to be.

To say it's arrogant to call someone's else work's bad is silly; by that logic you couldn't call anything bad. It's the show's role to make itself entertaining and it's the viewer's prerogative to find it bad. There's nothing that says we even have to supply reasons, sometimes it's just a feeling and we can't put our finger or it or simply don't want to make huge ass rants. Often when something disturbs me the feeling comes first, and the reasoning and putting things in words comes second. What results is that the things I put my fingers on might not be at the core of my instinctive dislike.

This is a public forum, not Mahouka's fans society, we can express our opinion if we like. To call it a poisonous atmosphere simply comes down to a fan's expectation of basking with like-minded fans and the inability to cope with widespread criticism when Mahouka is thrown to the general anime public, creating increasing defensiveness and frustration. While I know it's not pleasant and might lessen or ruin your enjoyment, the attitude that there must necessarily be something bad and wrong with anyone who doesn't see things like you frankly smells of a tantrum at not getting your way and doesn't help your case any.

Last edited by itisjustme; 2014-05-21 at 08:59.
Old 2014-05-21, 08:49   Link #244
Ickarium

I'd personally say that disliking something is perfectly fine, as well as thinking that certain things are done poorly. That's what varying tastes is about!

However, in the anime community, there is a major tendency, if someone dislikes something, to flame that work. Often, they use inappropriate reasons or logic. It's especially amusing when someone decries the writing in a work when using improper grammar, punctuation, and spelling themselves.

Basically, to me? There are certainly flaws in the Mahouka series. But a lot of the complains read like the usual 'I dislike this, so it SUCKS' anime community comments.
Old 2014-05-21, 08:55   Link #245
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
Basically, to me? There are certainly flaws in the Mahouka series. But a lot of the complains read like the usual 'I dislike this, so it SUCKS' anime community comments.
I think "I dislike this" and "it sucks" kinda equates to the same thing for most people though, because yeah it sucks for them. :P

I haven't seen a lot of flaming on animesuki tbh, there's a lot more of reasoned and civilized debate even if things can get a bit more heated up, but that's only natural. Although I glanced at a couple other forums and things looked a lot worse.
Old 2014-05-21, 09:14   Link #246
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Often when something disturbs me the feeling comes first, and the reasoning and putting things in words comes second. What results is that the things I put my fingers on might not be at the core of my instinctive dislike.
Excellent defense of the Course 2 students inefficient protest. Good job explaining why it's not that unrealistic.

... See what I did there?
Old 2014-05-21, 11:00   Link #247
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
So Mahouka is getting all bloody and interesting now. Also, it's beginning to become clear that (A) There are apparently no teachers at this school and the students just do everything themselves, and (2) they can basically do whatever they want to criminals/terrorists. What a scary future this is.

I was sad that Erika didn't get another fight scene (given the status of my signature at present I'm sure this comes as a shock to many of you). Tatsuya and Miyuki both got a single detail of their powers revealed, but beyond that there really wasn't anything that happened there. That being said, watching Erika fight the kendo girl was pretty badass, and I suspect this will be my favorite fight scene in this show until her next big fight.

On another note, Mahouka is very gray. My understanding is that this is in part because of the writing of the novel as well. What I'm beginning to notice is that the characters in this show with the exception of three of supporting female cast are very bland. Tossing Mayumi, Mari, and Erika into the scenes tends to make things a bit more interesting to watch. Outside of scenes with those characters this show is sort of like staring out a window on a rainy day. "What's a joke? What are these emotions you speak of? The heck is 'fun'?"
Actually there are teachers but they were never animated in the first arc for some reason despite the fact that they appear in the novel.
Old 2014-05-21, 12:24   Link #248
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
So, what do you think about my observation that there's much incentive to let magicians such as Kirihara off the hook for improper behavior? Do you think that's inconsistent with Mahouka's world? Please don't refute it with such bullshit as "the author didn't specify."
Hm? What's there to refute, I think you are perfectly right with this line? The story has explained directly that the 10 Master clans yield considerable power in the Mahoukaverse, and Juumonji/Mayumi have pointed out that they preferred the Kirihara issue to be resolved without real punishment.

Quote:
The thing is, as easy it is to throw around descriptors like "bad writing", it's the same for throwing around insults like "armchair critic". Which is worse? A personal opinion that sounds like it's stated as a fact, or an actual insult?
Does this mean you consider yourself an armchair critic?

I wasn't even aware that this was considered an "insult", though I wouldn't mind it being taken as such. I was using the term particularly to underline the difference between authors that have managed to write stories which have been sold a few million times and armchair critics that in most cases have no literary accomplishments of their own under their belt, but feel qualified to denigrate the professional author's works. And in most cases not just one work (it might warrant criticism after all), but literally dozens. To these experts of quality writing, clearly the vast majority of anime/manga/LN creators are incompetent idiots.

Quote:
What about your insults of labeling critics as hopeless individuals that nitpick for the sake of nitpicking?
SOME critics, not all of them. Do you seriously want to assert that cesspool blogs don't exist, which regularly flame 90% of all anime shows, and whose authors obviously get a kick out of doing so? With a dittohead fanbase who love reading and reinforcing these flames?

Quote:
Has the possibility that some of us get bored and need stuff to watch, on top of liking a good discussion, never occured to you? Don't see any value in raising a controversial point?
Just the opposite, I like a good discussion over controversial issues a lot. What I'm missing in many cases is

1) A clean distinction between personal opinion ("I don't like this because...") and objective assertion ("This is wrong because...")

2) A minimum level of respect dealing with the works of others. The discussions on AS are usually relatively enjoyable because the Moderaters weed out most of the pure haters, but some tenacious people remain whose point in life seems to be the denigration of animes/mangas/LNs.

In other words, maybe it's simply an issue of what people feel to be proper manners, but you (and me) ARE only armchair critics. A bit more self-restraint towards the work of others would go a long way.

And nothing that I said above is limited to Mahouka. This is something which has annoyed me the last 1-2 YEARS, over the course of DOZENS of shows. Too many people with no literary skills are lying on their couches, watching anime and reading mangas/LNs all too often without even paying a single penny, but with a strong conviction that they are entitled to diss what they consume, and taking some perverse pride in doing so. If I was in some way involved in the creation and production of the works so arrogantly p*ssed on, I would feel very unhappy, to say the least. In my own personal feeling of proper manners, it rubs me very much the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Tbh most of the arrogant posts are from Mahouka's defenders. Yours kinda topped it right there by a far margin.

The argument that it is fictional hence we should take everything at face value and accept that it's perfectly rational just because the fiction tells us so is silly. That's not how the human mind works. The more suspension of disbelief the show asks of us the stronger its internal logic needs to be.
You didn't get my point at all, it seems.

Assume you're watching Clavell's "Shogun". Early in the story, there is a scene where Daimyo Yabu orders a captured sailor to be cooked to death in a kettle of boiling water. Does this mean that the story is promoting torture and cruelty? Would you say that this is unlogical and completely unrealistic, because this is forbidden? Obviously not, because in these times, Daimyo had the power and the right to do so. This isn't "bad writing", but normal IN THE CONTEXT OF THE FICTIONAL STORY. In the case of "Shogun", this is fairly obvious.

Mahouka's story is closer to "nowadays", so the distinction is harder to make. Yes, in our nowadays highschools, a student would most likely be severely punished and expelled if he slashed another kendoka with a sharpened blade. In the Mahoukaverse, with its special settings (influence of master clans), things are different to "our" world, and this should be taken into account before the "bad writing" hammer is drawn.

Quote:
To say it's arrogant to call someone's else work's bad is silly; by that logic you couldn't call anything bad.
See above, Mr. armchair critic. A bit self-restraint and respect towards the works of others would be deeply appreciated. And if you really feel the urge to go the objective "this is bad" route, better be sure to have your criticism hold up scrutiny back.

Quote:
It's the show's role to make itself entertaining and it's the viewer's prerogative to find it bad. There's nothing that says we even have to supply reasons, sometimes it's just a feeling and we can't put our finger or it or simply don't want to make huge ass rants. Often when something disturbs me the feeling comes first, and the reasoning and putting things in words comes second. What results is that the things I put my fingers on might not be at the core of my instinctive dislike.
Then grow up and mark your dislike as subjective, then you can rant all you want. I'm already annoyed by your "it is the show's role to entertain me" attitude, but I can positively assure you that not everything that you don't enjoy is "bad".

Quote:
This is a public forum, not Mahouka's fans society, we can express our opinion if we like.
Yes, you can. Just as I can express my displeasure of arrogant armchair critics.

Quote:
To call it a poisonous atmosphere simply comes down to a fan's expectation of basking with like-minded fans and the inability to cope with widespread criticism when Mahouka is thrown to the general anime public, creating increasing defensiveness and frustration.
Naah... I have no problem with criticism of the show in general (I have several qualms of my own concerning the conversion). Nobody demands that everyone should sing halleluja. What I do is trying to remind people that we are getting treated to the works of others - for free - and that in my most humble opinion we should be a bit more respectful and constructive dealing with it. Too many don't even pass the most basic "manners" tests.
Old 2014-05-21, 13:40   Link #249
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Not really a comment on AS criticisim (compartiively it's much much better than else where). What I can't stand is the blogosphere echo chamber with stupid irrational stuff like "imouto shrugged" ayn rand memes, or the deliberate misinterpretation of the story's themes/messages/plot details to suit an agenda.

There are many valid criticisms of Mahouka. One doesn't have to be a seasoned professional or a writer to make such claims. However, if you're going to make criticism I hope you can at least formulate something intelligible to say about the show or not jump to conclusions.

I remember a ton of people on MAL complained last episode that they didn't buy Mibu's "misunderstanding" and felt it was really stupid. Lo and behold, it was revealed this episode that her memory was tampered with by the terrorist leader. Now all those people raging about that look pretty silly just about now.
Old 2014-05-21, 13:44   Link #250
LKK

Guys, the discussion has drifted away from Mahouka episode 7 and into other realms. While the discourse has been an interesting (and for the most part) civil discussion, it's time for the thread to return to its purpose discussing the events in the episode.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-05-21, 14:46   Link #251
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

For LKK's sake, continued in the generic discussion thread.
Old 2014-05-21, 14:56   Link #252
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So... How about that No Sell of the cast jamming?

Or the fact that Tatsuya used to be in the military?
Old 2014-05-21, 19:15   Link #253
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So... How about that No Sell of the cast jamming?

Or the fact that Tatsuya used to be in the military?
Or Tatsuya as Miyuki's guardian (what does that even mean, given that Miyuki seems sub-ordinate to Tatsuya, not the other way round?)

Or just what on earth is Yotsuba Maya up to and why is it that the siblings don't want to return to being Yotsubas?
Old 2014-05-21, 21:07   Link #254
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Tatsuya as Miyuki's guardian make me wonder if the anime is going to pull the old "They're not actually blood relatives!" trope.

Note: This is pure speculation, as I have not read the source material.
Old 2014-05-21, 22:29   Link #255
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Tatsuya as Miyuki's guardian make me wonder if the anime is going to pull the old "They're not actually blood relatives!" trope.

Note: This is pure speculation, as I have not read the source material.
Don't worry about it they are real siblings, Tatsuya himself has mentioned it.
Old 2014-05-22, 03:31   Link #256
Ickarium

The military thing was pretty much stated in the opener to the first episode. But more verification is always interesting. Looking forward to the start of the next arc.
Old 2014-05-22, 06:45   Link #257
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Do you think that blanch leader is scared for life on tatsuya or kirihara did? Due to kirihara's ruthlessness and tatsuya op mind + magic
Old 2014-05-22, 17:47   Link #258
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, whether he's scared for life or not, at least he's scarred for life. Literally.
Old 2014-05-22, 20:55   Link #259
The Green One

Why would he be scarred for life? He was only......DISARMED! *rimshot*

Cmon...someone had to do it.
Old 2014-05-22, 21:54   Link #260
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Why would he be scarred for life? He was only......DISARMED! *rimshot*

Cmon...someone had to do it.
No. Actually, I didn't even think of that. Very nice.
Closed Thread