Old 2015-07-12, 21:05   Link #241
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Joujirou really needs to train so he can stop slamming into stuff

Sigh why are scientists so evil when it comes to powers
Old 2015-07-12, 21:13   Link #242
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

For me, my biggest frustration was not being able to see Udou's picture of Nao.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 21:29   Link #243
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not so sure. As other viewers have alluded to, it is unusual for Key to delve this substantively and dramatically into a major character's background this early on. So that begs the question - Why is Key seemingly "fast-tracking" the drama narrative this time? Maybe it's because this particular drama narrative is complex, so there's a lot to it, so there's a lot that has to be covered early on, in order to make room for greater detail later?
For the record, I actually don't think it's all that unusual for Key/Maeda to delve into a major character's background early on. I still vividly remember the emotional punch to the gut I got watching the end of Episode 2 of Clannad. Angel Beats also went straight into Yuri's background in Episode 2 and similarly spared no detail on her horrific past. My post earlier about the writers not improving on Angel Beats was not just a joke. Episode 2 of Charlotte was so unbelievably similar to Episode 2 of Angel Beats: massive amounts of over the top slapstick humor at first followed by the biggest mood whiplash ever straight into a disturbingly dark background of (/one of) the main heroines.

I do admit that it's still very much early days for this show, though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 21:48   Link #244
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
For the record, I actually don't think it's all that unusual for Key/Maeda to delve into a major character's background early on.
My most vivid memories of all the various Key anime tend to come from their second halves. In Clannad's case...

Spoiler for Clannad spoilers:

With Kanon and Little Busters, I don't recall a lot of heavy drama in the early going. With Angel Beats!, I mostly remember lots and lots of slapstick comedy in the first two episodes.

To be fair, I haven't watched any of these shows (except Little Busters!) in a long time, so I'm probably not remembering everything.

Still, I definitely don't recall many Key heroines having their personal stories so thoroughly delved into within the first two episodes of a Key anime.

Quote:
My post earlier about the writers not improving on Angel Beats was not just a joke.
I didn't take it as a joke. My own impression is very different though. Charlotte's first two episodes feels more tightly focused to me than I recall AB!'s first two episodes being. I also didn't experience any mood whiplash in Charlotte's 2nd episode. Honestly, I found Charlotte's plot pacing and overall scene transitioning to be very smooth. Nothing felt overly rushed or overly chaotic or overly slow to me. It felt just right to me.

Maybe I've been desensitized to Key comedy shifting into Key drama?
Old 2015-07-12, 23:45   Link #245
novalysis

Episode 2... was more or less Classic Key Drama, the only distinction is that it comes in rather early. I think the "twist" we were told to wait for in Mid Cour, is that something even worse than what happened this episode is going to happen to Nao or our MC's Imouto, and would break our main heroine and Hero badly.

Another thought: given Maeda's track record, and penchance for Dream Worlds, I am actually wondering whether Yu and Nao are unknowingly in a Dream World too. Or whether the concept would show up this episode. Here's a thought: perhaps Nao's brother is actually in a Dream World every bit as consistent, vivid and detailed, with REAL people inside the actual Dream World as

Spoiler for Spoiler for Maeda's previous works:

Last edited by novalysis; 2015-07-13 at 00:08.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 00:28   Link #246
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

So I'm coming a bit late to the party but hey, mostly everything has been said about this episode so far.

However I do find the lack of mentions about the whole "I escaped from the eeeebul castle" a bit weird. Did you guys not see the wrecked pillows/futon onii-chan style? the message in english written with blood?

Just how did she get out of there? Did her power manifest and did she use it to murder someone to get out of there? Did she try to commit suicide and her contact got her out of there?

In any case, I'm not buying the whole "hidden in plain sight" of this school for abnormal people. I'm calling it's a way to get them all together to keep watching them with as little "experimentation" as possible on them, and they only go the extra mile on powers that are believed to be replicated with current technology and useful for military advancement.

Why do I say that? Invisibility is probably decades ahead of time right now, making air vibrate? It's done with speakers nowadays. Mind control? I'd say it's closer than invisibility, and dissecting MC-san will probably yield a lot of knowledge and probably advance a few years in knowledge.

Calling MC will be dissected or will narrowly dodge the bullet.

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 00:47   Link #247
com_gwp

Gotta, say, feel far more positive about this show after second episode, and miles ahead of whatever I ever felt for angel beats.

It's still a very hackneyed (yet effective) Maeda-DNA drama, but I'm starting to really dig the characters save Ayumi. (especially Nao, who is fast becoming my favorite key lead heroine after Rin.)
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 01:13   Link #248
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
In any case, I'm not buying the whole "hidden in plain sight" of this school for abnormal people. I'm calling it's a way to get them all together to keep watching them with as little "experimentation" as possible on them, and they only go the extra mile on powers that are believed to be replicated with current technology and useful for military advancement.
This is actually quite plausible, given that Tonomori Nao's story is filled with some... rather suspicious details. Such as her benefactor getting her brother out of there... somehow. Or somehow, Scientist managing to train a gigantic team of child actors. Or Jojiro seemingly knowing Nao through Middle School - could he have been at the same school as Nao? Or the fact that the Boarding School... sounds suspiciously like the premise of the school that Yu is attending.

Who is to say that Nao's brother's perceived reality isn't as real as Nao and Yu's perceived reality here? With Maeda, you can never be too certain. Who is to say that Archer Club guy hasn't been doomed by Nao's investigations, and now is potentially tagged?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 01:33   Link #249
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's an issue when someone tells you the truth and it turns out to be filled with holes on hindsight. Just like in Angel Beats: only Yuri claims that nobody who committed suicide would end up in the Afterlife. At the end of the series, we haven't seen that claim questioned by others or outright debunked. However, novalysis' post seems to suggest that there's something more sinister about Nao's current duties.

Now, when will Yuu realize the truth? When he's laid out on the chopping board?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 01:48   Link #250
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

It's also pretty fishy that MC-san's sister is attending the boarding school. It's exactly the same thing that happened with mc-sanette and her brother.

Invisible-san had an almost completely different power than her brother had, but that means that they have they overpowered gene on their blood. This can mean that MC-san's imouto will develop some sort of power soon and I'm gambling it's got something to do with being able to read the future or something like really elaborate horoscope reading...? She's looking at the stars constantly isn't she? And she knows when something will happen. Either she can read space trayectories galileo-style or she has an extraordinary (perhaps superhuman) brain a-la supercomputer to calculate orbits and stuff. And I can see that being hugely useful.

In any case that's speculation, but she will be dissected after MC-san's usefulness is done with... Now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if he went and took the consciousness of her brother? Would he go insane as well? Or maybe see it was all an act? I don't know.. Too soon to call anything else.

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 02:07   Link #251
ices
Working Hard

After rewatching Episode 1 with better fansub (subjectively speaking of course, since I hate how CR translate a few things and the fansub is much better), I have this notes about the episode:

1. The reason Yuu cheating his exam.

He's poor. Must support himself and his sister. So, probably via cheating and get a top grade, he could get scholarship for himself. This also probably the reason he respond strongly about his expulsion.

2. The "save the girl from the truck" incident

If we see it without cutting any scene, He improvised that plan on the spot. It seems the plan just occurred to him when he sees the truck driver and think that's a perfect chance. Hence he glad that he make it. It could be worse, of course. But that action was in the spur of the moment. Though we should still blame him for his reckless action.

3. Nao seems to fond of Yuu's little sister

Especially when Nao patting the little sister's head. This occured to me after watching episode 2. Probably she sees Yuu's little sister's situation resemble herself.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 03:34   Link #252
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
As sad as it is, this is what would most likely happen in real life if anyone would suddenly get super powers.
I have my doubts it's as clear-cut as you say. Forceful cooperation would most likely not happen in most democracies, especially if the super-human was under media spotlight. Or maybe I've watched too much Gatchaman Crowds. Hajime coming out is a solid strategy, to be honest. My point, just because something can be exploited, doesn't mean it will be.

Unless of course the scientists were part of an illegal operation.

The situation in the anime is admittedly weird. Their mother begged they go to that school. She was probably coerced, somebody threatened her children or other family members.

I'm not a blind believer in government protecting its citizens, there are always rogue elements to societies, for example the mob, which could be funding those scientists. Both Nao's and Yuu's families weren't in very good financial standing, which makes them more vulnerable to exploiters. But I think it's easier to get cooperation with less violent incentives. Money is a good one.

I also have to agree with others who have expressed faulty methodology. If there was a clear supply of espers with exact super powers, then driving Nao's brother past his limits made sense. As his type is probably in low supply, breaking him was a waste.

Not to mention there is no solace for Nao seeing his brother act like a fucking monkey, even if she knew those scientists were pursuing a greater good.

Besides, just because this is an anime, less violent treatment of test subjects aren't an option? Maeda uses evil scientists, a trope that's been beaten to literary death a long time ago. This is the true face of creative bankruptcy, when even when you have options, you go for the most ridiculous one.

EDIT: After some thought, I guess the only way for the anime to make sense to me would be if his brother went mad on his own, that that was the unavoidable consequence of (over)using his power, and turning him into a test subject was of his own volition. But that interpretation of the current state leaves too many holes, the most important one would be why is Nao's benefactor then a plot point?

I guess I've reawakened my curiosity. Expect more shitposts from me if the anime continues to turn sour.

Last edited by cyth; 2015-07-13 at 03:54.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:53   Link #253
Botan_TM

I have a problem with this series.

It's goes into science-fiction field with all those evil scientists, however that world-building is inconsistent and lacking. Such settings make it hard to take it seriously. When world around "drama" can't be taken seriously, it hard to take "drama" itself seriously.

That's because it looks like forced: "Ok this is evil world, believe me, now don't go into details just go feel drama"

Person who can do so will really enjoy this anime, others (like me) will have a problem with that, because it's hard to take seriously created world which do not take itself seriously.
Old 2015-07-13, 15:13   Link #254
ices
Working Hard

OK, for those who didn't know. The name of the academy, Hoshi-no-Umi, means sea of stars. That's why in episode 1 the imouto said that the name was beautiful (and Yuu remarked that it sounds like one that was made for her). Also, now I'm more inclined about the theory that the name Charlotte related to comet/stars.

Also, CR subs suck. It's How-Low-Hello, not Haro-Haro.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 17:36   Link #255
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
As sad as it is, this is what would most likely happen in real life if anyone would suddenly get super powers.
Agreed, especially given the ages of the super-powered individuals here in Charlotte.

I think some of the people who have been very critical of Charlotte Episode 2, are in fact being overly optimistic about how a situation like this would likely play out in real life. Charlotte might not be perfect here, but I really don't think it's all that far off.
Old 2015-07-13, 17:41   Link #256
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I assure you that I am aware even worse stuff happens in real life, but that doesn't change my stance on the matter.

The morality of an issue vs the realism of an issue are two different things.

Anyhow...

Episode 2: Too much Omelette Rice

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sort of a dubious episode, but at least Nao was entertaining. I'm also not too buying of the MC's drastic personality change. Yes he's been brought down to earth but it almost feels like the last episode wasn't there. Will just have to wait for more.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2015-07-13 at 19:09.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 06:13   Link #257
hyl
reading #hikaributts

YouTube
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 06:54   Link #258
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Anyhow...

Episode 2: Too much Omelette Rice

Images
Whatever disagreements we might have on the show in general, that was still an excellent lolcap that you wrote. The Justin Beiber joke was my favorite. Very funny!

There was a lot of other clever jokes, some good chucklers. Some pretty good references to other anime as well.
Old 2015-07-14, 09:53   Link #259
Yamada II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Sort of a dubious episode, but at least Nao was entertaining. I'm also not too buying of the MC's drastic personality change. Yes he's been brought down to earth but it almost feels like the last episode wasn't there. Will just have to wait for more.
Well, Yuu doesn't have the same level of freedom to do whatever he wants like in episode 1. Like it was said by him in the last episode during his rejection, he has restrictions on him and is being monitored because of him having that power. If he had that freedom, he would've been the same bastard he was before. He even had his evil smile on in class before discovering that Tomori and teleportation guy are his classmates.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 12:59   Link #260
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea I know that too, that's what I said, but it does feel like he switched into more of a generic mode too fast still.

I'm not saying he could do whatever he wants, because he can't.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works, supernatural powers