AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-22, 00:20   Link #241
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I might be sticking my head out on a limb here, but the dub -really- isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Yes, it's a Blue Water job - and Blue Water hasn't exactly been known for quality work - but the work on Full Moon seemed fairly par. No major edits were made (based on my memory of the first episode), nothing was censored or cut, and I could only really complain about a minor localization that I only really caught in one spot. For being an attempt at conveying the story without being incomprehensible to someone with zero knowledge of the Japanese language or culture, it succeeds.

There are just people that will never be happy with a dub, no matter how impressive the work might be.
Old 2006-05-22, 01:40   Link #242
Ai Genin

Send a message via AIM to Ai Genin Send a message via Yahoo to Ai Genin
I completely agree. It just seems everyone was waiting to hear it just so that they could say it sucked- since ppl hate dubs anyways. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm curious to hear what they did with everyone.
Ai Genin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 05:31   Link #243
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Thats where i got the "hell will freeze over first" part. They basically said that the chance FMwS on Jetstream is 1 in a google and that only if it does exceptionally well on jetstream would it be put on CN.
Let me brainstorm a bit here... If I were Viz, I would first see how initial DVD sales are doing. If they are at or above expectations, I'd leave everything as is... no jetstream, cross promotion in the manga and shojou beat, and that's it.

But if the DVD sales are poor, THEN I'd start lobbying CN and the toonami staff to put it on jetstream. Considering also that it would cost almost nothing to do that... such is the wonder of the internet . The main problem for Viz would be in convincing toonami how Full Moon "fits into their brand concept". It's not exactly the "state of the art in action cartoons". So basically, I think it would be on jetstream if 1. The initial dvd sales sucked. and 2. If Viz can convince Toonami people that they have nothing to loose by putting it on jetstream.

I think that the toonami people are postering a bit when they say "1 in a google" chance. After all, this is a joint venture with Viz putting up a lot of the initial capital, so each party is going to try and assert themselves as being the final decision maker. But if Viz REALLY wanted to put FMoS on there, they could. It's something called "We won't put Naruto on jetstream unless you let us put FMoS there too" . Viz has their ace in the hole for the foreseable future, and Toonami knows it.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 06:11   Link #244
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I think that the toonami people are postering a bit when they say "1 in a google" chance. After all, this is a joint venture with Viz putting up a lot of the initial capital, so each party is going to try and assert themselves as being the final decision maker. But if Viz REALLY wanted to put FMoS on there, they could. It's something called "We won't put Naruto on jetstream unless you let us put FMoS there too" . Viz has their ace in the hole for the foreseable future, and Toonami knows it.
Yes, Viz has a lot of power with controlling it, but they are paying for the bandwidth. They would rather put something that the zombie mass of naruto... er fans would definitely buy than something that is a long shot.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 08:19   Link #245
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

You also miss the fact that broadcast rights (internet or otherwise) might not be included in the current licensing contract. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of renegotiating a license to include these rights would be prohibitively expensive.

I'm still hoping we will see the end of the series, even though at the current release pace it won't be until late 2009 at the earliest.
Old 2006-05-22, 11:09   Link #246
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I don't think the dub is THAT bad. I just wish the acting was better. But if they are new actors I can give them a chance...the script could be better too (baka translates into "Idiot!" not "Oh no!". They stripped that scene of its humor entirely. -_-

I wanted to be Mitsuki-chan's voice *sob*
Old 2006-05-22, 12:22   Link #247
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Indeed, a few of the names on the known cast list haven't been seen in previous cast lists yet, so they may well be newcomers. (Mitsuki's and Madoka's actresses are -not- new though. I noted in my AoD writeup that Mitsuki's actress had previously played Fancy Lala's title character, amusingly enough.)
Old 2006-05-23, 06:29   Link #248
waterchan

Does it explain better in the manga why Mitsuki (and another old man, at least in the anime) could see Shinigami? I thought the explanation for that in the anime was quite weak.

And for those who have finished the anime...

Spoiler:
waterchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 10:26   Link #249
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchan
Does it explain better in the manga why Mitsuki (and another old man, at least in the anime) could see Shinigami? I thought the explanation for that in the anime was quite weak.
Indeed it was weak. -_-
Yes. It's totally different and the plot is rather turned around because the decision to animate FMWS was made after the four chapter.

And for those who have finished the anime...

Spoiler:

I is not really interested in that. I like my doujinshi. Why write fanfics when you can DRAW?

...but I'll take a look anyway. Curiosity gets the better of me. And it's FMWS.

(EDIT)

Ah, good, the plot is different from my take on it. It's pretty well-written though save the intense sappiness. ^_^; Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's going to be finished (last date is April 2005) unless the author is anything like me who puts things off and puts things off but still picks it up maybe after two years.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2006-05-23 at 12:36.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 07:54   Link #250
martino
makes no files now

Could anyone please tell me the main differences in the plot or characters between the anime and manga. Thanks
Old 2006-08-01, 09:59   Link #251
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
Could anyone please tell me the main differences in the plot or characters between the anime and manga. Thanks
The anime plot is completely original for almost the entire first 1/2 after the first couple episodes with random chapters from the manga sprinkled in. The second 1/2 follows the manga more closely. The characters are the same except that the manga develops the characters more so they take on different personalities.
Old 2006-08-01, 11:44   Link #252
PastPrime

Quote:
The manga, after the first few episodes, is different. Izumi helps Takuto and Meroko. And Meroko has ties to Mitsuki's family from when she was alive just as Takuto does. Also, full shinigami (Meroko and Izumi) don't become ghosts when they remember their past lives, only Takuto is in danger of that. And, at the end, both Madoka and a male idol are Mitsuki's friends and know her secret. The ending was much better than the anime.
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 12:39   Link #253
martino
makes no files now

Nice...has the manga been translated into english as well???
Old 2006-08-01, 13:07   Link #254
bayoab

Quote:
Nice...has the manga been translated into english as well???
http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?series_id=342
Old 2006-08-08, 21:00   Link #255
CloudyDay

question what ep was the one with this hilarious moment:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou
Aha, there it is!!!! ^.^

Arigatou gozaimasu, Chiibi!!!! Heehee, *goes to read now*.

By the way, I caught an episode of FMWS on Hong Kong television last Friday. For your information, the Cantonese dubbing is AWFUL. They found the worst voice actors ever (Cantonese Mitsuki, for instance, sounds like an eight-year-old boy with a runny nose). The translation's not that good either. So... I hope you lot in the States get a better dubbing than what we've got here.
the korean dub for it is pretty good, mitsuki's voice is much better... someone posted the last ep in korean on youtube just search "full moon last episode." oh yeah korean versions of the songs should be on that ep too I guess.

Last edited by CloudyDay; 2006-08-08 at 21:11.
CloudyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 07:06   Link #256
martino
makes no files now

So you are saying that it's worth getting the manga?
Old 2006-08-14, 13:21   Link #257
Chiibi

Quote:
So you are saying that it's worth getting the manga?

OH MY GOD YES. BUY IT.
Old 2006-08-18, 22:15   Link #258
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Eh... If you're a big FMwS fan than you'll want to pick it up, but I think the anime is far, far better on so many levels.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 16:12   Link #259
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the manga takes a slightly more mature approach to the show i think and you definately want to get it. most of the story where johnathan comes in is different than the anime. while u are there be sure to get kamekaze kaito jeanne. i think the manga might be her best work. tv show is really different than the comic though.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 12:08   Link #260
martino
makes no files now

Oh dear god...

Now, I have watched the ending episode at least 26 times counting today. It's just so goddamn good!

Tags
comedy, musical