Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2014-08-10, 17:58   Link #2601
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNine View Post
99th Dragon God, the person who created [Saint Dragon Touki], the previous owner of Rudy house, and the one who created [Robo Maid] to clean that house everyday and get rid of the insect.
volumr 15 has more information about this
Spoiler for doll creator and previous owner of the house:
Old 2014-08-10, 18:17   Link #2602
DarkD

It's kind of annoying that this series is getting translated so fast. I'm one of the people who helped organize the translation efforts on Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and it was so hard finding translators for that series. There's twice as many volumes released for LMS as well, so chances are, we're screwed.

It's odd too, written Korean is one of the best languages in the world, while written Japanese is THE WORST language in the world. Remember I said written not spoken. If spoken was included, then Chinese would take the cake.... Spoken Korean actually kinda sucks while spoken Japanese is pretty good.
DarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 18:53   Link #2603
Ahou
Worshipper of 3 Goddesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkD View Post
It's kind of annoying that this series is getting translated so fast. I'm one of the people who helped organize the translation efforts on Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and it was so hard finding translators for that series. There's twice as many volumes released for LMS as well, so chances are, we're screwed.

It's odd too, written Korean is one of the best languages in the world, while written Japanese is THE WORST language in the world. Remember I said written not spoken. If spoken was included, then Chinese would take the cake.... Spoken Korean actually kinda sucks while spoken Japanese is pretty good.
I guess in your case you would find it annoying but I'm very happy that it's getting translated so quickly and we gotta thank our translators, editors, and anyone else that is working on it for their efforts.

And I'd like to add in that English grammar is horrible as well. You can add something to end of a word and that could change the definition by a little or by a lot. As long as it 'sounds' right when you say it, people generally let it go....

Also the way to spell and say some plural words goes against normal convention but it's still accepted...

Edit: This website has some nice examples http://www.fsfla.org/~lxoliva/fun/di...lish.is.stupid
I wasn't going for those examples but they are nice nonetheless

Last edited by Ahou; 2014-08-10 at 19:09.
Ahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 19:00   Link #2604
Dormouse

Quote:

Yeah but LMS sucked, so what are you gunna do? The whole story about this crazy Korean genius and his Korean supercorporation was just pretty contrived (imo) and the main character was an annoying dumbass whose sense of project discounting was just completely messed up. It took like him 14 volumes to realise that you have to spend money to earn money, and that there's such a thing as opportunity cost. Even then, he's still repeating the same gag about how he hates his class and wishes he was something else. It stopped being funny after volume 2.

There are various problems with Mushoku Tensei, but I must say it's on the better end of things. Despite being about a NEET that gets a second chance, it's surprisingly not as much of a wish fulfilment vehicle as SAO was, and unlike Mahouka, the MC isn't some hyperman who can do absolutely everything (and has like 5 different unrelated superpowers). Compared to Re:Monster which I started reading at the same time... well, actually, who even needs to compare this to that crap? (lol)

EDIT: And personally I can't stand written Korean lol. I tried picking it up the same time I picked up Japanese (I was trying both out on a whim), and I couldn't stand reading the hangeul. It all looks the fucking same lol. I like Japanese because unlike Chinese, it's not huge walls of Kanji (the kana easily differentiate verbs, clauses etc.), but unlike Korean it's not a wall of fucking alphabet (that all look the fucking same, mind you) either.
Dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 19:23   Link #2605
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:

I think that statement is going to draw a lot of ire DarkD. I don't know much of the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, so I am not going to judge, however the thing about translation isn't like a job or something. It is about enjoyment of the series, and the translators who enjoyed it translate for everyone to share that enjoyment. Its not a matter of going into great effort in getting it translated, its because the translators want to share it with everyone.

That is the one of the main things about Baka-Tsuki, it was originally created to share enjoyment of Light Novels from other countries because not everyone is fortunate to be verse with that language. Not because someone has to do it, its because someone wants to do it and share it with everyone. The translators of this series, whenever you see them, they have great enthusiasm about what they are doing. Even more when we openly discuss with great earnest with everyone.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 19:30   Link #2606
casgoldsmith

Weed = son of a bitch
but I like him
One history without a good mc is a trash
Weed and Rudi = very good
Well, I'm reading Stellar Transformations and [I Eat Tomatoes] is a monster
casgoldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 19:32   Link #2607
casgoldsmith

"but unlike Korean it's not a wall of fucking alphabet (that all look the fucking same, mind you) either."

kkkkkkkkk
Old 2014-08-10, 19:50   Link #2608
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Quote:

'So fast' can pretty much be attributed to vanant, kaito, skuizaan, and wolfie early on. They... work so damn fast.
Old 2014-08-10, 20:29   Link #2609
Dormouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by casgoldsmith View Post
"but unlike Korean it's not a wall of fucking alphabet (that all look the fucking same, mind you) either."

kkkkkkkkk
Written Japanese is typically filled with kanji, ergo not walls of an alphabet or syllabary. What were you trying to say, annoying eye-patch man?
Old 2014-08-10, 20:30   Link #2610
casgoldsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse View Post
Written Japanese is typically filled with kanji, ergo not walls of an alphabet or syllabary. What were you trying to say, annoying eye-patch man?

Humm

I think you got me wrong
Old 2014-08-10, 20:46   Link #2611
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by casgoldsmith View Post
Humm

I think you got me wrong
I think he wants you to elaborate, what did you mean?

I advise you against angering Ciel-senpai, she can hexa-wield swords for god's sake!
Old 2014-08-10, 20:48   Link #2612
Skuizaan

fast? me?
Hold your horses there, Nokopara!

I'm such a slowpoke it's painful. Normally I limit my translating to anonymous manga translations on 4chan at like 3am when I'm bored and hopped up on gummi bears. Doing vol7 felt like a major undertaking to me. I don't have adhd or anything, I just lack the amount of free time these things absorb. I figured the way most things go on BT, a chapter every few days was good progress... then the dynamic duo come out and just churn out chapters, tbh I felt intimidated >.>

Honestly, I wouldn't mind learning how these college kids are doing it so fast with the machine assistance, just for efficiency's sake. I mean on average per chapter that I've seen, maybe 2-3 significant sentence translations with a misinterpreted kanji, or a misread compound, but even when that's the case, the overall context is basically correct, so it's not something that requires the red pen, or it's caught by an (anon) editor by the time I get around to figuring out how to edit the wiki code right without causing the inline to look like some ancient win '95 era under-construction page.
Skuizaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 21:11   Link #2613
DarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I think that statement is going to draw a lot of ire DarkD. I don't know much of the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, so I am not going to judge, however the thing about translation isn't like a job or something. It is about enjoyment of the series, and the translators who enjoyed it translate for everyone to share that enjoyment. Its not a matter of going into great effort in getting it translated, its because the translators want to share it with everyone.

That is the one of the main things about Baka-Tsuki, it was originally created to share enjoyment of Light Novels from other countries because not everyone is fortunate to be verse with that language. Not because someone has to do it, its because someone wants to do it and share it with everyone. The translators of this series, whenever you see them, they have great enthusiasm about what they are doing. Even more when we openly discuss with great earnest with everyone.
I think you are actually misunderstanding something here. I'm not criticizing anything here. The reason Japan has so many translators is because they've been attracting attention for some 30 years with their superior comics and cartoons. They say there are 3 times as many people trying to learn japanese now than 10 years ago and that's attributed to otaku culture.

My comment is jealousy that Japan can get 10 translators for one series while a korean series is having trouble just getting 1 dedicated translator.
DarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 21:15   Link #2614
Kaito Yamakage

Quote:

If I could translate Korean the same way as Japanese it would have been translated up to volume 40 when I gave up trying to read the GTs last year. Lol.

Unfortunately, I've never had any chance to be introduced to Korean outside of manhwa and what I've learned through those is about limited to oppa or sunsengnim.

@Skui

I read the text in the same way as if you were listening to an audio script and then translate the line, rather than translating word for word. It's simple and inaccurate but it is somewhat fast.

The accuracy goes up the more "possibilities" you can think for word definitions and word order. IE ways you can think to make it sound at least a little properly in English.

Since that's the case the worse your English is the harder it is to translate that way. Also, I think it requires some amount of "efficient" thinking or something along those lines, which I'm used to finding the "fastest" way of doing things.

The speed might "work" for situations like this, but it really isn't a good level for most things and I'm sure some of the more literate translators out there hate it.

Though I have to admit I'm still laughing at how the chapter title for 113 was changed from Ecology of the Desert to Desert Ecology last night.

Whether it be Japanese or English I'm a person who has no interest in literacy it's all good as long as you can convey ideas. Neither my English nor my Japanese are great but they work. On that end I even stand some GTs but those are like the borderline of "convey ideas".

Anyways, I see no issue with your way of translating or speed keep up the good work.

I just have more time currently and I'm rushing with lots of mistakes, kind of like low quality speed scans that burn your eyes~
Kaito Yamakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 21:17   Link #2615
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuizaan View Post
fast? me?
Hold your horses there, Nokopara!
pnce again, i laughed for at least one minute from this, god my sense of humor is lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuizaan View Post
I'm such a slowpoke it's painful. Normally I limit my translating to anonymous manga translations on 4chan at like 3am when I'm bored and hopped up on gummi bears. Doing vol7 felt like a major undertaking to me. I don't have adhd or anything, I just lack the amount of free time these things absorb. I figured the way most things go on BT, a chapter every few days was good progress... then the dynamic duo come out and just churn out chapters, tbh I felt intimidated >.>

Honestly, I wouldn't mind learning how these college kids are doing it so fast with the machine assistance, just for efficiency's sake. I mean on average per chapter that I've seen, maybe 2-3 significant sentence translations with a misinterpreted kanji, or a misread compound, but even when that's the case, the overall context is basically correct, so it's not something that requires the red pen, or it's caught by an (anon) editor by the time I get around to figuring out how to edit the wiki code right without causing the inline to look like some ancient win '95 era under-construction page.
Honestly, I don't know which chaps are yours, i just remember seeing your name on the registration page a lot.
Old 2014-08-10, 21:20   Link #2616
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
I have not read LMS on Royal Road, but i'm sure there are plenty of people who love it and would love to help.
However Royal Road, like all translation groups/company/brigades have a "standard" of translation that they want (and a hierarchy structure based upon those standards.)
Unfortunately when you set a bar, you are artificially restricting your options.
This is not the problem if the pool of translators is vast, like the internet.
But the reality is that there is so many different definition of translator "standard" that what might be acceptable to a manga scanlation, might not be acceptable to Royal Road and vice versa, its a problem that arise when there is no uniformed translator standard for anime, manga and light novel translation scenes and that it's not publically known for potential translators to know and strive for.
Something that we all know, will never realistically happen.
It is a sad situation as they fight amongst themselves for that scarce diamond-rare-pokemon translator, so i can only wish the very best for these groups.

However as someone mentioned above, Baka-Tsuki is the complete opposite.
We are an amateur fan translation community and if anyone pretends that we are anything else, is just deluding themselves. We are the Rebel to the Empire, the 2nd course "weeds" to the "blooms", the "adventurer" to the "nobles".
(couldn't think of any other examples. sorry. )

Therefore I just hope you all just enjoy yourself at Baka-Tsuki and in turn, share this with everyone.
(For interweb kudos, fame and perhaps learn something new?)

It's not a job. It's a hobby, having fun is mandatory.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2014-08-10 at 21:44.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 21:25   Link #2617
Dormouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I have not read LMS on Royal Road, but i'm sure there are plenty of people who love it and would love to help.
However Royal Road, like all translation groups/company/brigades have a "standard" of translation that they want (and a hierarchy structure based upon those standards.)
Unfortunately when you set a bar, you are artificially restricting your options.
This is not the problem if the pool of translators is vast, like the internet.
But the reality is that there is so many different definition of translator "standard" that what might be acceptable to a manga scanlation, might not be acceptable to Royal Road and vice versa, its a problem that arise when there is no uniformed translator standard for anime, manga and light novel translation scenes and that it's not publically known for potential translators to know and strive for.
Something that we all know, will never realistically happen.
It is a sad situation as they fight amongst themselves for that scarce diamond-rare-pokemon translator, so i can only wish the very best for these groups.

However as someone mentioned above, Baka-Tsuki is the complete opposite.
We are an amateur fan translation community and if anyone pretends that we are anything else, is just deluding themselves. We are the Rebel to the Alliance, the 2nd course "weeds" to the "blooms", the "adventurer" to the "nobles".
(couldn't think of any other examples. sorry. )

Therefore I just hope you all just enjoy yourself at Baka-Tsuki and in turn, share this with everyone.
(For interweb kudos, fame and perhaps learn something new?)

It's not a job. It's a hobby, having fun is mandatory.
Nah, actually Japtem's LMS aside, Royal Road's quality standard is terrible. Some chapters are good, some are shameless prettied-up google translations. Half the time the google translators don't even get the characters' names right, lol. That's why Japtem dudes are like redoing half the Royal Road chapters lol.

tldr; Royal Road is just like BT's Mushoku Tensei. Skynet has taken over.
Old 2014-08-10, 21:31   Link #2618
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Quote:
I think you are actually misunderstanding something here. I'm not criticizing anything here. The reason Japan has so many translators is because they've been attracting attention for some 30 years with their superior comics and cartoons. They say there are 3 times as many people trying to learn japanese now than 10 years ago and that's attributed to otaku culture.

My comment is jealousy that Japan can get 10 translators for one series while a korean series is having trouble just getting 1 dedicated translator.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I've always found it noticeably harder to follow a korean work than a japanese one. It's like, korean works have an excessive amount of drama and/or intensity that I find suffocating.

Of course, there are some exceptions like Dr. Frost and The Gamer, that are considerably lighthearted. Or the likes of Tower of God, where the complex story is played out at a slow pace that makes it easy to follow.

Bad examples are like Kubera, where drama, characters, plot devices, and power levels are thrown at you relentlessly without any breathing space. Dice has the same problem, but it's nowhere near as bad.

Also, I often find korean characters difficult to sympathize with.
Old 2014-08-10, 21:34   Link #2619
CNine
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingGod View Post
Well, to be perfectly honest, I've always found it noticeably harder to follow a korean work than a japanese one. It's like, korean works have an excessive amount of drama and/or intensity that I find suffocating.

Of course, there are some exceptions like Dr. Frost and The Gamer, that are considerably lighthearted. Or the likes of Tower of God, where the complex story is played out at a slow pace that makes it easy to follow.

Bad examples are like Kubera, where drama, characters, plot devices, and power levels are thrown at you relentlessly without any breathing space. Dice has the same problem, but it's nowhere near as bad.

Also, I often find korean characters difficult to sympathize with.
you know that Moonlight scluptor is actualy really realistic, based on real world. in RLife, you will meet many case like Weed case. even worse than him.

btw, why now the talk shifted to korean?
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 21:48   Link #2620
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNine View Post
you know that Moonlight scluptor is actualy really realistic, based on real world. in RLife, you will meet many case like Weed case. even worse than him.

btw, why now the talk shifted to korean?
You're right, my bad. I'm derailing this topic

BACK TO MUSHOKU TENSEI!

Apparently Rudi is gonna regrow his arm? How does that work? Someone growing it back for him, or does he learn king-class healing magic or something?

Tags
alternate world, fantasy, gods, harem, incest, og isekai, polygamy, reincarnation, seinen, time travel, true harem, webnovel