Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-12-21, 23:57   Link #2761
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I hope they get rid of Obamacare so I don't need to deal with coverage requirements. As for everyone else? Fuck 'em.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2016-12-22, 00:32   Link #2762
Key Board
Carbon

Trump picks 'Death by China' author for trade advisory role

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN14A27N

I guess be friends with Russia, make enemies with China is the official Trump Admin policy

gee what could wrong
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2016-12-22, 00:52   Link #2763
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

You either go tough on both or not at all. Going for a half-position like that is utter nonsense.
Old 2016-12-22, 01:05   Link #2764
Key Board
Carbon

They have convinced themselves that Russia is their ally against China

some sites are already pushing that rhetoric

but Russia is probably one of the last nations on this planet that you want as an ally against CHINA
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2016-12-22, 02:54   Link #2765
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
but Russia is probably one of the last nations on this planet that you want as an ally against CHINA
This.

What Trump is trying to do now is reverse strategy of Kissinger and Nixon from 1970's when they invited Communist China to UNSC, and kicked Taiwan out. In hope that they will rival USSR back then, Trump is trying to turn Russia agaisnt China now in same fashion.

But giving how good two countries were cooperating in the past several years ( to the point when the sanctions were kicking Russia a bit Chinese actually agreed to trade Russian oil for Ruble and Yuan, not dollars ) I doubt that will happen. Especially since it is no interest for both Russia and China to let US tear them apart like it did in 1970's.

Especially since Russia is openly letting China to enter EU market literally unopposed and slowly head toward dominating the market ( you know, the good old strategy: 'while they are focusing on me you slip unnoticed and by the time they realize anything you will own half of their market' ), just like they are doing right now with India, Africa and even South America.

All in all these are interesting times indeed. Let's see how will Trump play international dominance card in the next 4 years.
Old 2016-12-22, 07:33   Link #2766
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Remember when republicans were supposedly fiscal conservatives?
He obviously concerned about the likelihood he need guys with guns and bullets and playing the safe card of buying more. We are living in uncertain times in regards to security with the idea of a global war kicking off in the next ten years being disturbing realistic.
Old 2016-12-22, 20:25   Link #2767
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Basically if you're a white collar worker making a good living, particularly if you are white then it's great for you! Otherwise, good luck!

And the people who will suffer the most are all those rural white voters. Ironic and hilarious .

Hey at least I'll probably get some lower taxes -_-;.
Obamacare did a pretty good job of screwing the blue collar worker. Lost my health insurance through my employer 3 years ago next month, and the fines get higher and higher each year. Been fortunate not to get too sick and I haven't needed to actually use hospital care as I have no insurance. Also working two jobs, I didn't qualify for the subsidies, but was hit with increased taxes due to the combined pay(and having two W-2 forms to file).

Writing a check to Uncle Sam for thousands of dollars a year come April, is not easy for the middle class.

I have a feeling those jobs in Indiana with Carrier not moving overseas or being eliminated altogether, will be good for the blue collar workers there. But what do I know?
Old 2016-12-22, 20:54   Link #2768
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
This.

What Trump is trying to do now is reverse strategy of Kissinger and Nixon from 1970's when they invited Communist China to UNSC, and kicked Taiwan out. In hope that they will rival USSR back then, Trump is trying to turn Russia agaisnt China now in same fashion.

But giving how good two countries were cooperating in the past several years ( to the point when the sanctions were kicking Russia a bit Chinese actually agreed to trade Russian oil for Ruble and Yuan, not dollars ) I doubt that will happen. Especially since it is no interest for both Russia and China to let US tear them apart like it did in 1970's.

Especially since Russia is openly letting China to enter EU market literally unopposed and slowly head toward dominating the market ( you know, the good old strategy: 'while they are focusing on me you slip unnoticed and by the time they realize anything you will own half of their market' ), just like they are doing right now with India, Africa and even South America.

All in all these are interesting times indeed. Let's see how will Trump play international dominance card in the next 4 years.
I don't think that's Trump's motivation. He believes we are being ripped off by China, not by Russia. He doesn't see any purpose to escalating tensions with Russia, as we have been doing. His reason for being tough on China is he believes they take advantage of the United States' commitment to free trade.
Old 2016-12-23, 06:14   Link #2769
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Trump Team Prepares To Cram Down 10% Tariff on Americans

This is something that Trump MUST be criticised for. When the US government attempted this in 1930 (Smoot-Hawley Tariff Bill), it precipitated a slew of retaliatory tariffs that pushed the US and World economies into a recession that eventually culminated in the Great Depression after Herbert Hoover followed up by raising taxes.

Paul Krugman has recently switched to a pro-protectionist stance, arguing that the benefits of free trade have mostly been exhausted, such that the main beneficiaries of free trade are the smaller countries at the expense of the larger ones. I don't particularly agree with his line of reasoning because I believe that trade is ultimately not a zero-sum game and both parties stand to benefit from it. In any case, it's not a risk that I would ordinarily be willing to take.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2016-12-23, 06:51   Link #2770
ChuckE
Provoker

Maybe it is a way to leave the bubble faster...Who knows lol

Also no need to compare 1930 and now. Everything is different.

Last edited by ChuckE; 2016-12-23 at 07:19.
Old 2016-12-23, 07:07   Link #2771
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I don't particularly agree with his line of reasoning because I believe that trade is ultimately not a zero-sum game and both parties stand to benefit from it. In any case, it's not a risk that I would ordinarily be willing to take.
You took that risk when you voted for him. He SAID he is protectionist. Now he is at least fulfilling one promise out of the many he broke.

Quote:
Our original Constitution did not even have an income tax. Instead, it had tariffs—emphasizing taxation of foreign, not domestic, production,” Mr. Trump said. “Yet today, 240 years after the revolution, we have turned things completely upside-down.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...ech-1467145538

Did you think he was LYING when he said he wanted tariffs?
Old 2016-12-23, 09:35   Link #2772
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You took that risk when you voted for him. He SAID he is protectionist. Now he is at least fulfilling one promise out of the many he broke.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-t...ech-1467145538

Did you think he was LYING when he said he wanted tariffs?
No, I don't think he was lying. The ideal candidate that perfectly matches my policy positions (or anyone's for that matter) simply does not exist, and like many others, I consider him to have been the lesser evil in this election.

As with every president in history, Trump will do some things well and he will do some things badly. I will compliment the things he does well as I see them, and I will also criticise the things he does badly when I see them. I would have done the exact same thing with Hillary had she won.

This just happens to be one of his bad policies, and I'm calling him out on it.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2016-12-23, 10:36   Link #2773
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Trump Team Asks State Dept. To Name Those Working On Gender Equality

Really? They're doing this again? Stop bothering the departments in giving them names.
Old 2016-12-23, 10:40   Link #2774
GDB

But Trump supporters keep assuring me that he's the first President to ever be in support of the LGBT community! This is clearly just so he can give them a big raise and a pat on the back. Why would you think this is something devious?

And /s just in case.

Last edited by GDB; 2016-12-23 at 10:59.
Old 2016-12-23, 11:17   Link #2775
ChuckE
Provoker

Why people think that he is looking for this people in order to lynch them?
Old 2016-12-23, 11:49   Link #2776
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
GANBARIMASU
Old 2016-12-23, 12:18   Link #2777
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
Why people think that he is looking for this people in order to lynch them?
Because there is literally no other reason. This is not new, it is a very normal part of politics for thousands of years. Do tell me an example where it ended up NOT being a lynching, metaphorical or physical?

Or are you playing dumb?
Old 2016-12-23, 14:13   Link #2778
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Because there is literally no other reason. This is not new, it is a very normal part of politics for thousands of years. Do tell me an example where it ended up NOT being a lynching, metaphorical or physical?

Or are you playing dumb?
Examples of 21st century? 20st?
Old 2016-12-23, 15:12   Link #2779
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
Examples of 21st century? 20st?
The Philippines.

And for the United States, the Red Scare.

And my question to you is, what examples can you give where it is a good thing?
Old 2016-12-23, 17:45   Link #2780
MCAL

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...122593759.html

So basically as a democracy North Carolina is considered one of the worst in the WORLD. That's right. Not COUNTRY... WORLD.

A preview of what's to come no doubt.
Closed Thread