Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-07-16, 20:37   Link #261
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
You mean Epyon?
It's either that or Tallgeese (I or III).
Old 2010-07-18, 12:58   Link #262
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Alright, I was thinking...it may be that Romefeller Foundation is based on the Rockefeller Foundation. After all, they are simliar in various aspects besides the name: they're both private foundations, they are both philantrophic, they are both industrial, they're both freaking rich, and most importantly of all, they're both objects of conspiracy theories -- one by several right-wing writers, and the other by the show's creator.

And also they're kind of 'secret societies', so to speak...well, the real one at least is said to be so by those writers, being part of a huge scheme for taking down Western civilization -- while Romefeller is a major fomenter of war and one of the principal agents behind world affairs...

Well, is there any way to know the etymology of this name? 'Romefeller'?
I'm thinking among the same lines that Mariemaia Army is (obviously) a front for the Barton Foundation.

This isn't unique; I think that previous Gundam series may have used this.

As for Romefeller, don't forget that they also have a lot of power and influence, rivaled only by (the original) Heero Yuy and the Sanc Kingdom.
Old 2010-07-18, 16:12   Link #263
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
You're right, they may have used this concept in other Gundans series; after all, Wing is somewhat of a collection of bits from other Gundans; but there's still the point of the names similarity -- this one is not common to the others, I believe. With this additional fact, it goes from a mere correlation to a simply borrowing.

As for the Barton Foundation, it is somewhat of a late addition to the universe, so it may be the writer simply repeating his own idea -- perhaps only the name would be changed. But IIRC, the activities of the Barton Foundation, and even it's goals, are much more less specified and explored than Romefeller's. In fact, I think it is par with 'post-Milliardo' Sanc Kingdom as a matter of poorly constructed background.
Viewers didn't of the Barton Foundation till EW but their influence was the heart of the events of the GW. They were the ones that funded Operation Meteor.
Old 2010-07-31, 07:33   Link #264
Star-Wing
Covered in Darkness
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Star-Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by vblaze101 View Post
Hmm....I've recently been rewatching Gundam Wing (for like the 6th time) recently, and I must say I like it even more.......for the right reasons this time. Before, it was for the flash and destruction. This time, I'm genuinely interested in the political and social atmospheres of the series. Characters like Wufei and Zechs, both whom I couldn't care less for in the past have grown on me.

In all honesty, rewatching Gundam Wing makes me wonder how come it has recieved so much hate. I've heard people refer to the political/social dialogue in Wing as "nonsense" and "poorly thought ranting," but I'm beginning to wonder if those people made those comments because 1) they simply just don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what all the dialogue within the series was getting at; 2) they were so turned off by the numerous viewpoints and ideals presented in the series, they considered it all blasphemous. I mean yeah, Gundam Wing argueably has the most used "plot MS armor" than any other Gundam anime and the story gets a bit drawn out in those last 10 or 12 episodes......and I admit Relena isn't the most rational heroine, but other than those things (which aren't really all too serious), I think Gundam Wing is a great anime. I wish they'd make a Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game for the Wing universe.
I didn't understand much of the series back when I watched it the first time (even though each episode used to be repeated 5 times per week, and I would watch them all). I watched GW in arabic for the first time; when I saw the ad for GW, I thought any other silly machine anime and didn't watch it. But once when I was flipping through the channels, I saw the next episode spoilers where a guy (I found out he was Heero later) pulling a gun on a girl (Relena :P) who instead of screaming, bowed. I was pretty amused and I decided to watch what happens next (during night, GW was aired back to back with multiple episodes).

After that I was just hooked. Till now, I have watched Gundam Wing maybe 20 times, learned half the episdoes by heart in both Arabic and Ebglish (though less in English) and I still love that series. I understood the series after rewatching it a couple of times.
It's the only series in my opinion, which has such in-depth meaning to it, dealing with history and human, and such solid character development. To boost it, it has cute characters, entertaining plotline, kind of weird humor (what will al the craziness happening), and it's just plain good.

I was surprised reading the comments here; it's the first time I saw pople talking negatively about Gundam Wing. I have usually come across people who like the anime. It was so popular, that OVA and mangas and stuff were created.

Oh well, I don't care. I love Gundam Wing, there are plenty others who do, the fandom isn't totally dead yet despite the fact that GW was aired in 1995 and I hope that Lazyfatboi, you watch it again ^_^ It is pretty entertaining.

And I agree with vblaze101, completely! I wish for a game, especially now that they are bringing out 'Frozen Teardrop Novel'.
Old 2010-07-31, 14:09   Link #265
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Wing View Post
...the fandom isn't totally dead yet despite the fact that GW was aired in 1995...
I'd say the fandom is still pretty strong. There are numerous sites almost solely dedicated to fan fiction regarding the characters.
Old 2010-07-31, 15:00   Link #266
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
I'd say the fandom is still pretty strong. There are numerous sites almost solely dedicated to fan fiction regarding the characters.
And the sad thing is that the majority of the fanfics are yaoi fanfics, esp. the Heero x Duo pairing, despite the fact that said pairing is non-canon.

Heero x Relena is as close to canon as you can get, esp. in Blind Target and Battlefield of Pacifists, which were written by the members of the Wing writing team. Another pairings that are more-or-less canon include Zechs x Noin and Treize x Une.

On a side note, Masashi Ikeda (the series director) said in a 1998 interview with Animerica magazine said that he never intended for Wing to have romantic overtones (i.e., which applies to all pairings) and he felt that the political aspects were more important.
Old 2010-08-01, 00:28   Link #267
Star-Wing
Covered in Darkness
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
And the sad thing is that the majority of the fanfics are yaoi fanfics, esp. the Heero x Duo pairing, despite the fact that said pairing is non-canon.

Heero x Relena is as close to canon as you can get, esp. in Blind Target and Battlefield of Pacifists, which were written by the members of the Wing writing team. Another pairings that are more-or-less canon include Zechs x Noin and Treize x Une.

On a side note, Masashi Ikeda (the series director) said in a 1998 interview with Animerica magazine said that he never intended for Wing to have romantic overtones (i.e., which applies to all pairings) and he felt that the political aspects were more important.

Yea, there are too many 1x2 fanfics. Not that I hate it or anything, but I prefer to read stories where the main focus isn't romance. Like 'A diamond so dark', 'unmade promises can't be broken', 'mistaken words', and there are others, though I forgot their names (hmm...there was a nice one with a new zero system where Trowa got under its influence and tried to take out the other pilots. There was even a 4 armed mecha).

Masashi Ikeda did say that? How did I miss that! Because I have always viewed Gundam Wing that way; never did focus much on the romantic overtones (actually, the first time I watched it, I barely even caught the 3 main ones you mentioned ^.^
Old 2010-08-01, 00:31   Link #268
Star-Wing
Covered in Darkness
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yeah, and I feel fanfiction.net has the most number of fics on Gundam Wing; and the number continues to grow everyday O_O
Old 2010-08-01, 00:57   Link #269
Washu-Chan