AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-29, 11:04   Link #261
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
We've gained some insight into more reasons that Frieren caused this. Not only is it very strong and there's been time to develop dozens of variant counters to Zoltraak, the cultural impact of what she's done makes all the demons furious. They get unsettled that one of their "life's work" gets surpassed and amplified by 'weak' humanity because they expect to be the ones with superior magic skills since they spend decades honing a single type.

Even the imperious way Frieren and Fern glare down at their enemies while floating. It is purposefully meant to be demeaning to demons. They're instantly reminded of Frieren when they see another mage floating like that, and she's always looking down on them. They all think they're superior beings, so that taunts them quite a bit.

Now we have expanded confirmation that Frieren wasn't just lazily looking for magic those 50 years (or however many before her original journey with Himmel, Heiter, and Eisen). She was building out multiple frameworks to exterminate demonkind.
That's just Lugner as a demon having no sense of respect or empathy towards humans.

He talks about his own race's magic as the result of a lifetime of hard work but then writes off Frieren and Flamme's achievements as pure talent.
Qual supposedly "spent most of his life developing a killing spell" but we've heard from Frieren that humans spent generations researching Zoltraak.

He doesn't give other races credit for their hard work at all.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-29, 12:12   Link #262
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's just Lugner as a demon having no sense of respect or empathy towards humans.

He talks about his own race's magic as the result of a lifetime of hard work but then writes off Frieren and Flamme's achievements as pure talent.
Qual supposedly "spent most of his life developing a killing spell" but we've heard from Frieren that humans spent generations researching Zoltraak.

He doesn't give other races credit for their hard work at all.
It also highlights the demons complete lack of community. Based on what Lugner said, demons seem to study magic completely alone, so he has no respect for the fact that humans study magic co-operatively.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 06:22   Link #263
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This had to be one of the coolest cliffhangers ever. No wonder Soso no Frieren wasn't translated completely. It has two meanings
Old 2023-10-30, 06:27   Link #264
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
This had to be one of the coolest cliffhangers ever. No wonder Soso no Frieren wasn't translated completely. It has two meanings
I actually have issues with that translation, as in no way do the Kanji they used (same ones as the series title) ever translate as "slayer".

The closest thing would probably be "Freiren the Undertaker" - as in, the one who buries demons. Even that's liberal but you can almost get there if you think of it as a play on words in Japanese.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 07:16   Link #265
EroKing

Digging holes and taking souls.

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-12 at 06:16.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 18:06   Link #266
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I actually have issues with that translation, as in no way do the Kanji they used (same ones as the series title) ever translate as "slayer".

The closest thing would probably be "Freiren the Undertaker" - as in, the one who buries demons. Even that's liberal but you can almost get there if you think of it as a play on words in Japanese.
I'm partial to Frieren The Funeral. Attends them for friends, creates them for foes.
Old 2023-10-30, 20:12   Link #267
kari-no-sugata II

Sousou no Hi (葬送の日) means is on old phrase that means "day of death" I believe (though it can mean "day of the funeral as well")

For demons, meeting Frieren is basically the day you die. Plus is sounds kinda cool. And as an added bonus, it possibly has multiple meanings. I don't know if the author ever explained the meaning behind the title though but this is my best interpretation.
kari-no-sugata II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-01, 15:45   Link #268
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Sousou no Freiren. Like a Fairy Tale

Thrice I've watched the seventh episode.

For starters memories taking shape into different forms whether be statues or tokens of friendship from Frierens' comrades were meant to deliver her a sense of solace and comfort. In other words, Himmel conveyed to her that she won't be alone in the future after all of them are gone so as long she has a memento to remember; the flow of time is relentless, and Frieren won't have anything to recall her friends thus eventually dying quietly.

As for demons, in a pathological sense they can be attributed as true psychopaths as empathy is virtually alien and non-existent to their nature. They evolved to understand human speech in order to deceive their natural prey (humans) to lower their guard by appealing to their emotions just as Lügner did to Gran Grafat.

Speech is not a measure of intelligence. Rather speech is a reflection of either stupidity at getting swayed or manipulation to appeal to emotions while remaining calm.

Lastly, if Frieren states that she's powerful than the Sage of Destruction, Aura, then I do believe her.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-01, 18:25   Link #269
Decel

IIRC Aura is only one of the seven sages of destruction. Qual was a sage of Corruption, but we don't know yet how many there are, and how many are left.
Old 2023-11-01, 18:31   Link #270
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Some clarification here.
Qual is not one of the 7 Sages of Destruction, although it is easy to mistakenly believe he is.
The 7 Sages of Destruction are selected base on how unique and unreplicable their magics are.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-02, 06:44   Link #271
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Preview is already out but all in Japanese.
Old 2023-11-02, 11:42   Link #272
EroKing

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-11-02, 12:01   Link #273
Shadow5YA

Animation looks great, and it sounds like Evan Call is going to go hard on the BGM too. Can't wait.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-03, 04:57   Link #274
EroKing

Images

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-13 at 06:54.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-03, 07:22   Link #275
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Images
The picture of Fern eating the burger is really cute.
Old 2023-11-03, 10:33   Link #276
Frontier

So this conflict between Frieren and Aura dates back to the days of Graf Granat's grandfather and the last time Himmel's Party encountered Aura trying to invade. Why they even great each other as old acquaintances .

I didn't expect Ayana Taketatsu as Aura. Is Ayacchi in the villains phase of her career? She does a great job of portraying the cute and sadistic types. And Aura's ability to control people who don't measure up to her mana is pretty diabolical, especially knowing what she does to those who resist her. Frieren even recognizes some of her headless soldiers .

Stark talking and acting so cool with that smooth jacket animation like he's about to face Lugner and Linie himself...and he's just ready to run and beg Frieren for help. He almost had Fern fooled .

If only they'd recognized the blood sooner...although that coat throwing animation on Fern's part was amazing !

Fern doesn't have the same mana levels or knowledge as her master, but what she does have is a cool, rational, mind and being the fastest spellcaster...enough that she's able to keep Lugner on his toes when he originally dismissed her. And she just looks so cool blasting away all his attacks and volleying spells at him !

Stark had a bad matchup with a demon girl who can imitate the weapons and fighting styles of people whose mana she's read, and she even witnessed Eisen during the big battle back in the day when she was a child, meaning she can imitate his style. But Stark trained with the REAL Eisen, and knows how hard he hits, and remembers that the battles' not over until your opponent is defeated so you have to keep getting back up. And what better way show Linie she doesn't measure up to Eisen than by tanking her hit and finishing her in one blow ?

And that distracts Lugner so Fern can finish him with a classic Zoltarak. They did it! Frieren would be so proud. Now she's just got to finish Aura to wrap this up .
Old 2023-11-03, 11:26   Link #277
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episode 9

I loved the fight against Linie. Especially when she decided to demonstrate her copying power and switched from technique to technique all while summoning different weapons. And sure, Stark got hit a few times but he must be very tough because none were killing blows. And then to tank that hit. I wonder how much raw strength Linie has vs just stolen techniques?

Fern was just a pure badass. All those shots. She was Weiss-ing it up with all those attack rune circles. The parts where she encased herself in attack magic and when she fired all those crisscrossing blasts was spectacular!

And Frieren… I think we know how she’s gonna win. Two clues: It’s said Aura hasn’t faced an opponent with greater mana in 500 years. And Frieren commenting to Fern that she’ll never catch up in terms of mana and technique. I think Frieren is much older than Aura… perhaps 500 years or more…and is baiting Aura to attempt to use those scales.

Can’t wait to see that battle…
Old 2023-11-03, 11:41   Link #278
Greenish Growth

The fights were beautiful. They looked great.

Last night I watched a video of the supposed greatest anime endings of all time (the great majority were from the last eighteen years) and realized that I hardly remembered any of them at all. I just don't watch anime openings and endings any more like I used to back in 1995 to 2010 (the date I watched them not when they aired). The more recent songs don't fit my taste as much as the older ones.

I do watch the ending of Sousou no Frieren though, but that's pretty unusual these days. It's not because they're digital media either.

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2023-11-04 at 17:15.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-03, 17:38   Link #279
grecefar

I feel bad for stark since he got beaten but it's his style I guess, tank and one shot. Fern was more clean.

Frieren really meant what she said.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-03, 18:09   Link #280
Tenzen12

Stark would probably get away much less injured if he just believed in himself from beginning. Well that's certainly Stark for you...

Tags
adventure, fantasy