AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-04-20, 06:50   Link #261
Guest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
So then, why were the vibrations that he sent at the practice room floor in the Tomitsuka Duel seem pitifully weak o.o. if he can make his snap into a flash bang, then couldn't he also cause a much stronger vibration on the floor?
You shouldn't really compare the 2, since the oscillations used in the Tomitsuka match were from Non-systematic magic and not actual Systematic Oscillation magic as seen used in the finger snap attack. But both were based around wave amplification described by physics I believe, which you can look up for a better explanation of the idea.

In the Tomitsuka match, Tatsuya was trying to overwhelm him with psions waves to break up his armour and cause him to pass out like with Hattori from v1. Any sense of the floor vibration was stated later as their misconception and is only because the novel states magicians have a feeling of sensing psions the same way they do light and sound. In the Masaki match, Tatsuya increased the air vibrations that carry sound to our ears, this is a surprise attack he did not decide to use against Tomitsuka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
@Guest2: I agree with almost, if not everything you said but I will explain myself better now. The new chapter confirmed some of my suspicions.

IS works by different means:
-Common way: Modyfing IB by changing the phenomena, that's the true definition of magic for the Yotsuba.
-Direct Interference: Tatsuya' s Decomposition directly interferes with the information. For these kind of spells, the IS power required to changing the phenomena isn't needed making them ultra powerful and undoubtedly A Rank. It is stated in ch 0 vol 13 that the 1st lab signature magics directly interfere with the organisms. So Rupture interference is the same as MD interference but Ichijous have this Direct Interference magic in their genes AND a natural talent for conventional magic( I mean IS= changing the phenomena).
You could surely ask now, why Kyokan Jigoku, a weaker version of Rupture can' t bypass DF while MD can? Because DF prevents the information modifications on the body,while MD is a big counter since it interferes by disassembling the information, as long as the body is protected the DF user has nothing to fear from Kyokan Jigoku. Maya's MS is almost unblockable because it is a mix of both interferences. The Decomposition is done via ray light, so light manipulation is needed and while the ray light passes it interferes with the structural information just like Tatsuya's MD.

Spoiler for Various Quotes:

Honoka may be able to bypass it now that I think about it. Tatsuya is gathering really interesting allies.
Not only Maya' s MS is a mix of both, but it doesn't take all the place in her MCA like Tatsuya woth his 2 innate abilities so she is acceptable as an heir. She is born able to use regular and common magic I listed at first.

And, at last wee have Mental Interference magic which directly interferes with the brain or mind(Lunar Magic).

I'll reformulate my phrase: Tatsuya is not born with the ability to interferes by changing the phenomena but with the ability to interfere directly the structural information. It makes him unable to use common magics normally usable by any magicians.

But, the IS he used to protect himself wasn't Direct Interference, it was the common IS and we know is common IS is weak. Since you have to constantly use your IS and struggle to be able to use magic in the ZI. Tatsuya just needs to deploy a lot more IS than the others to be able to resist and since he is quite skilled at using the common magics thanks to his rigorous training, that feat is not impossible.

If IS( the common one) was the only factor, Miyuki and Katsuto would be invincible.The struggle within the ZI is comparable to arm wrestling, you have to resist to not be completely overwhelmed by the sheer strength of your opponent but as long as he didn't pin your arm on the surface, you have still a chance to reverse the situation, it' s a battle of endurance.
I think you and SoboSobo are making up extra unnecessary definitions for Interference Strength. You'll have to point me to where you've found the other definitions besides the ones given in V1 and V3. As far as I read, its only been used to define a magicians strength for rewriting eidos. And each magician may have innate talent for rewriting different parts/types of eidos, that can be measured using the term interference strength. Since its about rewriting eidos, this measurement would relate mainly to their ability for systematic magic. Since we know some people also can have innate talent for outer-systematic magics, the other magic systems probably have a very similar variable that can replace the measurement of a mage's interference strength, that has not yet been agreed upon or defined by the world's magic science researchers(not yet given by the author).

Last edited by Guest2; 2014-04-20 at 07:02.
Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 07:16   Link #262
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest2 View Post
You shouldn't really compare the 2, since the oscillations used in the Tomitsuka match were from Non-systematic magic and not actual Systematic Oscillation magic as seen used in the finger snap attack. But both were based around wave amplification described by physics I believe, which you can look up for a better explanation of the idea.

In the Tomitsuka match, Tatsuya was trying to overwhelm him with psions waves to break up his armour and cause him to pass out like with Hattori from v1. Any sense of the floor vibration was stated later as their misconception and is only because the novel states magicians have a feeling of sensing psions the same way they do light and sound. In the Masaki match, Tatsuya increased the air vibrations that carry sound to our ears, this is a surprise attack he did not decide to use against Tomitsuka.

It was mentioned that the vibrations on the floor were caused by Tatsuya but it had never mentioned what type of magic it was that did.

The psion wave that combined both oscillation and nonsystematic was shot directly at Tomitsuka as that was in the paragraph after and was designed to chip off his psion armor. The vibrations were used to put Tomitsuka off balance so that he was forced to make adjustments in his pacing as it was a natural phenomenon. This leads me to believe that they were different attacks Because he launched the psion wave after Tomitsuka paused from the vibrations that were never explained. Oh well. I guess we will not know
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 07:19   Link #263
Echizen777

I will just ask one question, if Tatsuya is born with the strength to rewrite Eidos like every magician, why was he unable to use magic before the operation? The IS are clearly not the same and I believe what I quoted is enough, vol 1-3 aren't the only references.

Quote:
It was a very simple oscillation spell but it can be assumed that the amplification was deadly because he set it as a variable and inserted a high value. If he can do this, I don't see how all his other non decomposition combat spells can be a drawback as long as he finds a way to creatively attack the enemy indirectly.
It was not deadly since it only managed to rupture his eardrums with the help of sound amplification and I don' t know where it was mentioned that he used variables. But even if he did, remember that he was using his specialized CAD during the fight against Hattori and that the waves were so effective only because they hit him 3 times.

In a serious fight he would use his CAD for Gram Spells or his innate magics and will be unable to Loop Cast his weak Oscillation magic.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 07:48   Link #264
Guest2

Quote:
It was mentioned that the vibrations on the floor were caused by Tatsuya but it had never mentioned what type of magic it was that did.

The psion wave that combined both oscillation and nonsystematic was shot directly at Tomitsuka as that was in the paragraph after and was designed to chip off his psion armor. The vibrations were used to put Tomitsuka off balance so that he was forced to make adjustments in his pacing as it was a natural phenomenon. This leads me to believe that they were different attacks Because he launched the psion wave after Tomitsuka paused from the vibrations that were never explained. Oh well. I guess we will not know
Since it was mentioned it was a misconception that the floor vibrated, and later Tomitsuka concludes he was made ragged by non-systematic oscillation magic and all the magic Tatsuya used were just varied types of such magic, I will continue to assume his assessment includes the floor thing.

Quote:
I will just ask one question, if Tatsuya is born with the strength to rewrite Eidos like every magician, why was he unable to use magic before the operation? The IS are clearly not the same and I believe what I quoted is enough, vol 1-3 aren't the only references.
But Tats was not born with the strength to rewrite Eidos like every magician. His ability could only rewrite eidos in the sense of breaking down its design or rebuilding/pastng a previous version of it. Not in the sense of newly rearranging the eidos information while still leaving its design whole. Interference strength has only been defined as a measure of any magician's strength for any type of rewrite of the eidos and would give a value for each type of systematic magic a magician tried, sometimes a differing one depending on their MCA's innate compatibility with it. But its a measure of the magician's ability, not the spell itself.

Tatsuya can rewrite it one way and other magicians can rewrite it a separate way. Magicians have differing innate talents for using magic sequences on different parts/areas of eidos information structure. The strength at which they can rewrite those idividua unique parts still ties in withe the given definition of Interference strength.
Old 2014-04-20, 08:38   Link #265
Echizen777

Quote:

But Tats was not born with the strength to rewrite Eidos like every magician. His ability could only rewrite eidos in the sense of breaking down its design or rebuilding/pastng a previous version of it. Not in the sense of newly rearranging the eidos information while still leaving its design whole.
See? So his innate magic, defined as a spell which interferes directly with the structural information is another sort of interference.

Quote:
Interference strength has only been defined as a measure of any magician's strength for any type of rewrite of the eidos and would give a value for each type of systematic magic a magician tried, sometimes a differing one depending on their MCA's innate compatibility with it. But its a measure of the magician's ability, not the spell itself. Tatsuya can rewrite it one way and other magicians can rewrite it a separate way.
By using regular magic, you use your IS, and the strength of your spell depends of how powerful your IS is, Miyuki won against Lina because of her superior IS. Tatsuya, who has a natural MCA incompatible was unable to do this, so his ability as a regular combat magician is pathetic. Even using high psion count to use top counter magic is irregular nowadays.
Old 2014-04-20, 10:35   Link #266
Guest2

Quote:
See? So his innate magic, defined as a spell which interferes directly with the structural information is another sort of interference.

By using regular magic, you use your IS, and the strength of your spell depends of how powerful your IS is, Miyuki won against Lina because of her superior IS. Tatsuya, who has a natural MCA incompatible was unable to do this, so his ability as a regular combat magician is pathetic. Even using high psion count to use top counter magic is irregular nowadays.
I'm not sure what your trying to point out by saying its another sort of interference. All systematic magic spells/sequences interfere with the information found in eidos to create changes in reality. For example a spell could interfere with the information of an object's structure/shape/form and directly change it from solid to liquid with no change of the level energy/increased movement of molecules, or transform it into its even smaller molecule components. Or a spell could interfere with the information of its oscillations and increase or decrease its entire whole or molecular vibrations. An example of an indirect interference of information to change an object's structure is by interfering with the information of molecular vibrations of a solid object and increasing to the point at which the object final shatters, or interfering with the Dissipation information of an object until the force becomes great enough that the object expands, vaporizes or tears itself apart.

Its quite the uncommon phrase to say the spell is a different type of interference. The novel terms these different types of interfering with eidos as casting different types of magic, which we all know. And we all know Tats is good at interfering with information that relate to the structure of things and poor at interfering with information that does anything else. But a spell doesn't have interference strength. A spell can interfere with different parts of the eidos's information, but its the magician's ability that we check to determine their individual interference strength, for each type of systematic magic.

Interference Strength determines an individual's magic power and ability to successfully bring a change into reality. The stronger it is, the greater chance your spell will be effective and occur in reality and not be stopped by another magician. However Interference strength does not really determine how powerful the final result of the spell in reality will be. That depends on the written goal of the spell and the variables chosen by the magician. Greater Interference strength just ensures your success at pulling the chosen magic off and overcoming other magicians or natural forces that are trying to hinder your spell.
Old 2014-04-20, 15:01   Link #267
Diocar

this is a real interesting discussion!!
so do you think a magician can use interference against non sistematic magic?
and while using zone interference can they cast magic at the same time?
and btw tats IS in the area of sistematic magic wich decomposition belongs is top notch, the problem the the other areas of sistematc magic =(

edited
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 15:18   Link #268
Guest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
this is a real interesting discussion!!
so do you think a magician can use interference against non sistematic magic?
and while using zone interference can they cast magic at the same time?
Since Interference strength is defined by a person's strength at rewriting eidos, it would not normally relate to non-systematic magic that doesn't involve interfering with eidos. Although in the case of people who have a talent for Non-systematic decomposition, its possible it might still apply.

In v11 it does say Miyuki's ZI blocks all other magic besides her own, so it seems to indicate she could still cast other magic at the same time if she wanted to.
Old 2014-04-20, 15:37   Link #269
Diocar

Quote:
Since Interference strength is defined by a person's strength at rewriting eidos, it would not normally relate to non-systematic magic that doesn't involve interfering with eidos. Although in the case of people who have a talent for Non-systematic decomposition, its possible it might still apply.

In v11 it does say Miyuki's ZI blocks all other magic besides her own, so it seems to indicate she could still cast other magic at the same time if she wanted to.
That should be simply called cheating. How are you gonna beat miyuki if you can t cast magic?
And btw i still hope that in either a tomitsuka's or tats pov we will know better about the magic tat used to expand tomitsukas range. If he could expand tomitsukas it should be something more special that simply psion waves.
Old 2014-04-20, 16:05   Link #270
IceHism

Quote:
That should be simply called cheating. How are you gonna beat miyuki if you can t cast magic?
And btw i still hope that in either a tomitsuka's or tats pov we will know better about the magic tat used to expand tomitsukas range. If he could expand tomitsukas it should be something more special that simply psion waves.
Umm, I don't think you understand. Miyuki is the strongest magician in the world of her generation. She is most likely not suppose to be beat by a direct magic fight. The only people who stand a chance will be strategic magic, Maya, or Tatsuya
Old 2014-04-20, 16:42   Link #271
Echizen777

Quote:
I'm not sure what your trying to point out by saying its another sort of interference. All systematic magic spells/sequences interfere with the information found in eidos to create changes in reality. For example a spell could interfere with the information of an object's structure/shape/form and directly change it from solid to liquid with no change of the level energy/increased movement of molecules, or transform it into its even smaller molecule components. Or a spell could interfere with the information of its oscillations and increase or decrease its entire whole or molecular vibrations. An example of an indirect interference of information to change an object's structure is by interfering with the information of molecular vibrations of a solid object and increasing to the point at which the object final shatters, or interfering with the Dissipation information of an object until the force becomes great enough that the object expands, vaporizes or tears itself apart.

Its quite the uncommon phrase to say the spell is a different type of interference. The novel terms these different types of interfering with eidos as casting different types of magic, which we all know. And we all know Tats is good at interfering with information that relate to the structure of things and poor at interfering with information that does anything else. But a spell doesn't have interference strength. A spell can interfere with different parts of the eidos's information, but its the magician's ability that we check to determine their individual interference strength, for each type of systematic magic.

Interference Strength determines an individual's magic power and ability to successfully bring a change into reality. The stronger it is, the greater chance your spell will be effective and occur in reality and not be stopped by another magician. However Interference strength does not really determine how powerful the final result of the spell in reality will be. That depends on the written goal of the spell and the variables chosen by the magician. Greater Interference strength just ensures your success at pulling the chosen magic off and overcoming other magicians or natural forces that are trying to hinder your spell.
I am not too sure of what you are saying yourself. You agree with me but you are saying that my manner of defining IS is wrong? You are saying that a spell doesn't have IS while you claimed MD had IS in a previous post.

I don' t see why a spell wouldn't have IS since IS is required to cast it.

Quote:
By struggling with your IS to be able to cast magic or by quitting or destroying the Zone. But yeah, as almost all of the strongest members of the 10MCs we know, Miyuki is quite OP.

Quote:
Umm, I don't think you understand. Miyuki is the strongest magician in the world of her generation. She is most likely not suppose to be beat by a direct magic fight. The only people who stand a chance will be strategic magic, Maya, or Tatsuya
Well, her MP is definitely top class among magicians of her generation but putting the few magicians of her generation we know aside, Tatsuya and Maya aren't the only ones able to beat her. I am sure she would have no chance against Lina with Brionac unless she is able to trick her.
Old 2014-04-20, 16:49   Link #272
IceHism

Quote:
I

Well, her MP is definitely top class among magicians of her generation but putting the few magicians of her generation we know aside, Tatsuya and Maya aren't the only ones able to beat her. I am sure she would have no chance against Lina with Brionac unless she is able to trick her.
Brionac is only for casting heavy metal burst which is strategic magic which i already said. (and Lina is the only one in Miyuki's generation who can kind of match her along with Minoru if Retsu is correct)

Brionac is basically the Lina version of Third Eye.
Old 2014-04-20, 17:07   Link #273
Echizen777

Quote:
Brionac is only for casting heavy metal burst which is strategic magic which i already said. (and Lina is the only one in Miyuki's generation who can kind of match her along with Minoru if Retsu is correct)

Brionac is basically the Lina version of Third Eye.
Yes, Brionac is way better than Third Eye though, but we don' t even know a lot of magicians of her generation. These 3 are undoubtedly the strongest magicians of 16 years old. What I really wanted to say is that she isn't guaranteed to beat the strong 10MC magicians or other renowned magicians who are older than her.
Old 2014-04-20, 17:09   Link #274
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
If it is basic strategy (in that any decently smart person knows it), that doesn't seem to explain Miyuki, Lina, Katsuto, Mayumi, and Masaki using most of their powers when they want (two of whom were trying to be undercover/inconspicuous as well)

Unless the above people are actually dumb? Yea, I doubt that...
They are not dumb. but those characters don`t think like tatsuya does.

His move are always strategic in nature, everything he does is calculated, what to reveal what to not reveal about himself, everything is part of his strategy in order to not attract to much attention to him and keep his real identity safe.
Miyuki, lina rest of chars that are mentioned they don't need to hide that, and also they are already known as powerful magicians so using less power then their fullest will only affect their status and their image.

Quote:

It was not deadly since it only managed to rupture his eardrums with the help of sound amplification and I don' t know where it was mentioned that he used variables. But even if he did, remember that he was using his specialized CAD during the fight against Hattori and that the waves were so effective only because they hit him 3 times.

In a serious fight he would use his CAD for Gram Spells or his innate magics and will be unable to Loop Cast his weak Oscillation magic.
volume 12 clearly states that decomposition is using IS. When the whole quote said "tatsuya and lina interference strength was strong enough to work under miyukis's heavy interference zone". so either the author is wrong or we don`t understand what IS actually does.

Ok man the monolith code was a game, using deadly force was against the rules, or even against common sense. Off course he only used that spell to only rupture his eardrums to knock him out. Why the hell would he kill masaki that would've been a big ass problem for him. So he only used enough force to knock him out .

You forget he can use all the normal spells his Artificial MCA can support (5 steps or lower) via the facking flash cast. In a real battle he doesn`t need a CAD to cast normal magic. And since decomposition its not the same type of magic as the normal magic he can use them at the same time without the magic interfering with each other.It dosen`t matter if his cads are tuned to the decomposition and regrowth he still has access to normal magic. An he can use more then oscillation magic, seen him use a lot of types of magic move, gravity,acceleration, speed etc
I believe he can use all the 16 cardinal codes that cover all the systematic magic or so leo said.

Quote:

first of all decomposition is a systematic magic its a combination off the other systematic magics. Just by that notion alone u can conclude decomposition uses IS.Also the volume 12 confirms without a doubt that decomposition uses IS.
Decomposition = direct interference into structure of eidos, notice the word interference?
His IS is strong but because he uses an artificial MCA for normal magic theres a limit on how much he can rewrite the eidos , what i`m trying to say he is only using a portion of his IS total strength because his Artificial MCA can`t handle the load to rewrite eidos to a high degree but when his is using his decomposition then he makes full use of his IS.

Yes miyuki can use ZI and magic at same time, any magician can.
But her power will be split between the two.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 17:17   Link #275
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
volume 12 clearly states that decomposition is using IS. When the whole quote said "tatsuya and lina interference strength was strong enough to work under miyukis's heavy interference zone". so either the author is wrong or we don`t understand what IS actually does.

Ok man the monolith code was a game, using deadly force was against the rules, or even against common sense. Off course he only used that spell to only rupture his eardrums to knock him out. Why the hell would he kill masaki that would've been a big ass problem for him. So he only used enough force to knock him out .

You forget he can use all the normal spells his Artificial MCA can support (5 steps or lower) via the facking flash cast. In a real battle he doesn`t need a CAD to cast normal magic. And since decomposition its not the same type of magic as the normal magic he can use them at the same time without the magic interfering with each other.It dosen`t matter if his cads are tuned to the decomposition and regrowth he still has access to normal magic. An he can use more then oscillation magic, seen him use a lot of types of magic move, gravity,acceleration, speed etc
I believe he can use all the 16 cardinal codes that cover all the systematic magic or so leo said.
You don't understand. His Oscillation magic will never be able to kill Masaki. He can support 5 sequences, meaning that he can cast them rapidly but they are still extremely weak. That Cardinal Code discovery is just speculation, he never used it and we don' know how many sequences they require.

Decomposition requires IS but not the same IS a normal spell requires.
Old 2014-04-20, 17:25   Link #276
IceHism

Quote:
Yes, Brionac is way better than Third Eye though, but we don' t even know a lot of magicians of her generation. These 3 are undoubtedly the strongest magicians of 16 years old. What I really wanted to say is that she isn't guaranteed to beat the strong 10MC magicians or other renowned magicians who are older than her.
That's true. if Zhou can do something to Mitsugu, it does put a question on how powerful the adults are. I'm only assuming because the novel seems to put an emphasis on how the younger generation always and must surpass the older generation.
Old 2014-04-20, 17:26   Link #277
Diocar

Quote:
I am not too sure of what you are saying yourself. You agree with me but you are saying that my manner of defining IS is wrong? You are saying that a spell doesn't have IS while you claimed MD had IS in a previous post.

By struggling with your IS to be able to cast magic or by quitting or destroying the Zone. But yeah, as almost all of the strongest members of the 10MCs we know, Miyuki is quite OP.

I don t get why you think spells have IS, since a spell is just a magic sequence powered by the magician. But i am gonna post you the best description i read about it

Quote:
Interference Strength is needed to alter an information body as information bodies can only be affected by one magic sequence at a time (see the discussion about flying type magic in vol. 3) so Person 1 casts Move-type magic on an object and person 2 casts the same move-type magic. The magic with higher Interference Strength will take effect and affect reality (which is why Miyuki wins against Lina in the magic training in vol 9)

Phenomen Alteration Strength is used to see weather a magic is able to affect reality at all, so if a person casts Move-Type magic (let's say Stop) on an object moving too fast or possibly being too heavy and the Phenomen Alteration Strength is too low the magic will fizzle and nothing happens (making Tatsuya unable to stop the fragment of his own grenade in Vol 8 so he has to settle for slowing itndown)
Old 2014-04-20, 17:39   Link #278
Diocar

Quote:
Third eye with tatsuya is the ultimate cad dude. He can kill lina from anywhere in the world with third eye (MB or even MD) and lina doesn t that kind of power with brionac.

Quote:
You don't understand. His Oscillation magic will never be able to kill Masaki. He can support 5 sequences, meaning that he can cast them rapidly but they are still extremely weak. That Cardinal Code discovery is just speculation, he never used it and we don' know how many sequences they require.
Yeah his spells are weak but you must remember that most of the time what is important is to attack first and that weak spells still have an effect on a person's body. And don t forget that if he uses one of the grams and then whatever spell the other guy is defenseless.
Old 2014-04-20, 18:07   Link #279
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:

You keep saying those spells are weak! why?
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 18:08   Link #280
BW95
Banned

Quote:

Considering Tatsuya's abilities, it wouldn't be surprising if knew all 16 cardinal codes. He certainly implied he knew them in his conversation with Leo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
You keep saying those spells are weak! why?
I think he means the strength of the oscillations would never be enough to actually kill someone.

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Magic Sequences are unable to affect other Magic Sequences. Magic Sequences can only be used to affect the Information Body, even if two types of magic are both trying to influence the same Information Body, only the one with the stronger interference strength would actually manifest, as Magic Sequences don't possess a strong versus weak relationship.
Magic sequences themselves don't have interference strength. That comes from magicians.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote