AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-26, 20:16   Link #261
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

my dad doesn't understand why I watch anime in the first place..

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 10:28   Link #262
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHerrera View Post
my dad doesn't understand why I watch anime in the first place..
Hmmm, ask him what *he* watched as a teen. Ask him why he watches tv? It doesn't have any more depth to it than anime (and frequently far less tenable plot or message). At that point the two of you might be having a conversation instead of him just making pronouncements.

And yeah, I'm older than he is almost certainly
Old 2010-04-27, 10:32   Link #263
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

I'm the only person in my whole family that watches it.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:06   Link #264
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

only my mom. she watches those old anime that she liked as a kid like Candy Candy.
Old 2012-07-04, 18:09   Link #265
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Both my parents, well, my whole family hates anime but me.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:37   Link #266
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
No way xD rofl
Old 2012-07-04, 22:56   Link #267
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

They've watched some with me. The only ones I've seen them like are the Ghibli movies, but they wouldn't exactly go out of there way to see them.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 23:52   Link #268
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well since two years have passed I'll make my usual comment in this thread. Try to pick a show that you're sure your parents have some chance of enjoying. That usually means shows with adult characters and mature settings. I've made a list of titles that I've enjoyed watching in my late fifties to early sixties here. To that list I might add:

Usagi Drop (realistic story about single parenting)
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee (for parents with an interest in history and foreign cultures)
Space Brothers (30-year-old guy tries to become an astronaut)
Level E (for parents who liked Men in Black)
Showa Monogatari (family life in 1964 Tokyo)

Movies:
Mononoke Hime (the most adult of Miyazaki's films that I've seen)
Millenium Actress (movie about 20th century Japanese history seen through the eyes of a famous film actress)
Summer Wars (parents will probably like the scenes depicting extended family life; kids will like the videogaming parts)

There really are quite a few options if you look past all the school life and ecchi shows that dominate much of contemporary anime. Shows about fifteen-year-old boys trying to avoid falling onto girls' breasts aren't going to do much for your parents. I'm certainly not suggesting that adults could never like shows that feature kids or teens as protagonists. One of my all-time favorite shows is Dennou Coil where the cast is about eleven. Something like Sakamichi no Apollon might have some appeal as well. But I certainly wouldn't start off with shows like those. I wouldn't start off with something like Madoka either. For someone attuned to anime and animation in general, that might be a good choice, but most adults won't find the subject matter compelling even if they can appreciate the presentation.

The subbed/dubbed issue might matter for some parents as well. Most Americans have probably never seen a subtitled movie in their lives, with the possible exception of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. If you think that's going to be an issue for your parents, pick a show that's dubbed. While the suggestions in this posting are mostly subtitled, the ones in my earlier list are mostly available with dubs.

Also consider making it easy for you and your parents to watch something together. If you have a Netflix subscription, there are many anime titles available there, all of which are dubbed. If you can watch streams, especially if you can watch them on a full-sized television, check out Hulu.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-07-05 at 00:10.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 00:06   Link #269
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

My mother loves Galaxy Express 999 and my father cried at Clannad: After Story. We've got an inkling of an interest here, but I'm the only one who basically lives in this world.
Old 2012-07-05, 00:26   Link #270
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

My parents have 0 idea what anime is~
Old 2012-07-05, 00:31   Link #271
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
No. But I have shown them some, namely Ghibli movies or movies by Mamoru Hosoda or Makoto Shinkai. Family friendly entertainment in other words.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 01:13   Link #272
Lightning_Wing

My parents don't. They really don't know what it is.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:29   Link #273
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, some long time ago in a boring day, I watched Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) with my mother. We watched the episode featuring Sojiro Seta’s past which telling the story of the poor guy's transformation from being an innocent & abused child to a cold-blooded killer thanks to Shishio’s teaching.

And you know what? That one leaves an impression on her. Still, she won’t go out of her way to watch anime though. She still prefers the local drama TV (called sinetron here). Sigh….
Old 2012-07-05, 03:32   Link #274
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

My parents aren't really into anime but they CAN watch. Especially my Dad who likes Lupin III and DBZ. The only people in my family who really watches anime are my sister and brother.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 06:09   Link #275
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
No. Unless its Prince Cidy or Princess Sara...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 06:20   Link #276
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Yeee, they don't anymore. But they used to.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 08:01   Link #277
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

My dad is an entertainment junkie/his whole side of the family is. You ask him about movies or TV(Actors, Directors, be able to Draw comparisons, the whole 9 yards), he knows about it. Also watches a lot of sports. One thing he will not watch is anime, he will not watch it at all. He even read loads of Marvel & DC when he was younger. He also does this to any thing foreign, he will not watch it unless it is in English or released in our theaters.

We played the Cowboy Bebop movie up to where Spike shoots the guy(In English of course) in the store. I quote "This is stupid as shit". Then turns it. He watched the first few minutes of Highschool of the Dead(In English) then he turned it. He walked in on my & my bro while the Code Geass OP was playing & he'd mock the OP with his singing. He also walked in while we were watching where Lucy in Elfen Lied was rampaging through the lab doing her thing. He said it was stupid too, and got & left. Some other moments,but this are the ones I remember.

He hates it so much that he won't even let me watch it on the big TV(In 1080 P), when he naps in his chair. I even told him I'd watch it in English & skip the OP completely. He wouldn't budge. He's still a cool guy though(I'm an entertainment junkie of American shows too) too despite all this, but still it baffles me how he'll watch anything other than anime. I'll get him to try Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt in English if it ever gets on Netflix or Youtube in English so we can watch on the TV. He likes trash humor, plus ridiculous action. I'll do the same for Black Lagoon. I'm not going to give up just yet.

His whole side is just like him, except my cousins. They're too blind to try the new anime because they think it wasn't as good as the old ones(90's stuff) facepalm.jpg.

So now anime is restricted to my room on Netflix, & my computer when he is not home.

My mom doesn't mind me watching anime. She doesn't like it though. I remember me & my bro were watching Claymore on Netflix one time, and my mom was asking if they were men or not.

My brother & I have always watched anime together though.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 10:16   Link #278
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

my mom yells at me if saw me watching anime for too long, she have no idea what an anime is, she probably thinks it's cartoon stuff for kids
Old 2012-07-05, 18:01   Link #279
GreatTeacherKen

I've posted in this thread a long time ago, but I've found that my mother has actually watched more than I thought she did.

As a little girl in Taiwan, she watched Tetsujin 28, Candy Candy, and Doraemon. Possibly others, but I don't know if she remembers since that was over three decades ago and she doesn't watch any anime anymore.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 19:39   Link #280
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
He watched the first few minutes of Highschool of the Dead(In English) then he turned it.
you let someone who never watch anime watch ecchi? really? no wonder why he got bad impression of anime. if anything, let him watch Death Note, Fate/Zero and such. (those two is what i use to make many people into anime) and really, even someone who watch anime actively like me couldn't stand Highschool of the Dead let alone him

as for my parent, sometimes they watch with me. but they wouldn't watch unless i show them.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2012-07-05 at 19:50.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote