Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-06-15, 22:46   Link #261
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
^
But that is JW biggest flaw. The original Jurassic Park introduced the modern and at that time scientifically accurate depiction of dinosaurs to the public. At that time it was already know that birds evolved from dinosaurs and are in fact dinosaurs. The questions was, if other theropods, t-rex, raptors and co., also had feathers. Now 20 years later the answer is yes, many theropods had feathers.
So instead of doing it again and introducing the now accurate depiction of dinosaurs to the public, it stands still.
Actually, I think Trevorrow is doing a smart thing. If he were to caved in and use the now-accurate feathered dino’s and making Velociraptor a lot smaller like the actual animal, that means he has to retcon the first movie to some extent. That will definitely cause some problems in the story & logic. That method might eliminate the authenticity problem but it will produce a new one. Trevorrow cleverly came up with a smart excuse that the frog DNA in the first movie prevents the dinos from growing feathers all over their bodies like the real-life counterpart. Plus, in JW, there’s a reveal that the scientist have been messing/manipulating the look of not only the I-Rex, but pretty much every dino on the island. Wu actually strongly implied that the scientist intentionally made them look like that saying something like (paraphrasing) “Nothing is natural in this park! If we clone them as they are, they will look completely different (from what people expect them to look like).” We can safely assume that the “completely different”-line partly has something to do with actual dinos having lots of feathers. So Trevorrow actually made a solid excuse for the movie’s dinos without disregarding the latest actual scientific/paleontological discoveries. Again, that’s a smart move IMO.

Quote:
You could say Jurassic World isn't about dinosaurs, but about generic monsters....
Well, yes. JW is about genetically engineered animal/monsters. Wu already made that clear as day near the end of the movie.

And actually, that’s a point which already addressed in JP1. Real-life dinosaurs are not lysine-deficient. And they cannot change sex (as far as today’s science claim), yet the dinosaurs in JP1 did it thanks to the frog DNA. In short, they are already "theme-park monsters" since the very beginning (though most of them still have close resemblance to actual dinosaurs). You cannot count Grant’s line in JP1 “They’re just animals” during the Brachiosaurus feeding too strictly either as he said that so that Lex won’t be scared, but deep down he knew that they are genetically-engineered "monsters" (or at least mutated dinosaurs). JP3 solidifies his view of the Jurassic Park dinos where he outright called them monsters and not the real thing.

Quote:
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that a certain scene in the movie is a reference to monty python and the holy grail?
I don't think the movie quite went that way, but I could be wrong about this.
Old 2015-06-16, 03:07   Link #262
DerGilga
Banned

^
You talking about the explanation inside the movie. But I'm referring to the effect the movie has on the public. While I would be pleasantly surprised, I don't think many got the meta joke at the beginning of the movie, that the first 'dinosaur' foot was in fact a dinosaur foot.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 04:19   Link #263
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
^
You talking about the explanation inside the movie. But I'm referring to the effect the movie has on the public.
First: This is the third millenium. People don’t need movies to portray authentic dinos anymore. Nowadays, documentary programs on TV have pretty good budget & CG to tell the authentic stories about dinosaurs (see BBC’s Walking with Dinosaurs). Internet is also everywhere now where people can learn the truth in no time at all. JP franchise is no longer the only place where you can see living-breathing dinosaurs. All JP franchise needs to care now is creating a creative, good and believable story to continue the saga.

Second: The public (who are interested) already know that many dinosaurs have feathers. And outside of some who are still uninformed or being in denial, people already accepted that T-Rexes are closely related to nowadays chickens and have feathers covering significant parts of their bodies. Add to that, Wu’s explanation near the end of the movie practically screams “Look everyone, the dinos in this franchise are not authentic, in case you don’t know it yet”. I don’t think open-minded people would be dumb enough to deny feathered dinos proven by actual scientific discovery just because they saw smooth-scaly-skinned dinos in JW.

Third: JW actually encourages people to find out themselves the truth about dinosaurs. So you don’t have to worry about the kids who watched JW. If they’re interested in dinos, they can (and will) find out the truth themselves (thank the internet). Heck, back during the time JP1 was released, I still found many books out there which said that Sauropods are cold-blooded and lived mostly in swamps . But shortly after, I know that the theory was proven false.
Old 2015-06-16, 05:03   Link #264
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

The greatest thing about feathered dinosaurs is that it validates Chicken Park!
Old 2015-06-16, 06:23   Link #265
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The thing that makes the Tyrannosaurus in the first film an animal VS the Indominus Rex in this film a monster, is how, for the most part, the former is still behaving like an animal. It's territorial, but not out for blood. When you put aside the ability to change its sex, it's pretty close to what we think the animal would be like (aside from outrunning a jeep, but w/e). The Indominus Rex, OTOH, does not occur in nature; the 'we've never made natural animals' line is BS. It has a grab bag of powers and behavior, but by far its greatest asset is its intelligence. As far as I know, no 'smart' (Orca, Wolves, Raptors), terrestrial predator has ever grown to super therapod-like size (Utahraptor comes close, but that's only somewhere near 20ft). I have to wonder if there's some compatibility problem with terrestrial size and intelligence.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-16, 07:39   Link #266
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
The thing that makes the Tyrannosaurus in the first film an animal VS the Indominus Rex in this film a monster, is how, for the most part, the former is still behaving like an animal. It's territorial, but not out for blood. When you put aside the ability to change its sex, it's pretty close to what we think the animal would be like (aside from outrunning a jeep, but w/e). The Indominus Rex, OTOH, does not occur in nature;....
Well, yeah, that’s the point of the whole movie. T-Rex and co still behave closely like the ancient animals they represent, while I-Rex is specifically created and designed to be this smart and powerful super-predator unlike anything else. Add to that, Owen himself already addressed and implied that I-Rex is bored, jaded and most probably stressed & depressed for being locked all her life and after she ate her sister, she only ever interact with the feeding tool. Can you imagine being so smart and so powerful yet also being locked and unable to do what you are meant to do (killing and devouring) for so long? Of course the I-Rex went crazy, broke free of her containment and did some crazy killings akin to a serial killer running loose. You see, it’s the smart animals that have the capacity to become psychotic, and I-Rex is one big proof of that.

Quote:
the 'we've never made natural animals' line is BS.
If I may ask, what’s so BS about it? The first JP clearly stated that they use frog DNA to complete the code. That in itself made all the dinos in Jurassic Park not natural from the beginning anyway you look at it. They might have 90% appearance and behaviour of real dinos, but they’re actually new species.

In fact, if we want to go further, the very concept of "cloned animals" are not natural even if the clones perfectly captured the animal it cloned from.
Old 2015-06-16, 09:46   Link #267
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, yeah, that’s the point of the whole movie. T-Rex and co still behave closely like the ancient animals they represent, while I-Rex is specifically created and designed to be this smart and powerful super-predator unlike anything else. Add to that, Owen himself already addressed and implied that I-Rex is bored, jaded and most probably stressed & depressed for being locked all her life and after she ate her sister, she only ever interact with the feeding tool. Can you imagine being so smart and so powerful yet also being locked and unable to do what you are meant to do (killing and devouring) for so long? Of course the I-Rex went crazy, broke free of her containment and did some crazy killings akin to a serial killer running loose. You see, it’s the smart animals that have the capacity to become psychotic, and I-Rex is one big proof of that.
I said I don't agree with the insinuation of the rest of the dinosaurs being 'monsters.' I know what the justification is for the I-Rex being a monster and made the distinction; whether they actually make it feel menacing is a different story.
Quote:
If I may ask, what’s so BS about it? The first JP clearly stated that they use frog DNA to complete the code. That in itself made all the dinos in Jurassic Park not natural from the beginning anyway you look at it. They might have 90% appearance and behaviour of real dinos, but they’re actually new species.

In fact, if we want to go further, the very concept of "cloned animals" are not natural even if the clones perfectly captured the animal it cloned from.
If we can split hairs over a small technicality, animals with polycephaly are something else entirely. There's also a practical difference between injecting an apple with grape to alter its taste VS making a vine that grows apples.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-06-16, 11:01   Link #268
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
If we can split hairs over a small technicality, animals with polycephaly are something else entirely. There's also a practical difference between injecting an apple with grape to alter its taste VS making a vine that grows apples.
Natural polycephaly does not occur due to someone messing around with the animal’s DNA code. That’s why polycephaly is still a natural condition. Polycephaly is basically a severe case of conjointed twins where a single egg is fertilized but then splits into two separate embryos and each embryo sharing a sac and placenta, not DNA manipulation. Is it unusual and irregular? Yes, but still natural condition. And polycephalic animals are not considered different species from their normal kinds, just like people who are conjoint-twins are still humans.

Now let’s see if a significant parts of your entire DNA-code got replaced with parts of monkey’s DNA. Scientifically-speaking, can you still be called human? Any biologists here who can answer that?
Old 2015-06-16, 11:04   Link #269
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Natural polycephaly does not occur due to someone messing around with the animal’s DNA code. That’s why polycephaly is still a natural condition. Polycephaly is basically a severe case of conjointed twins where a single egg is fertilized but then splits into two separate embryos and each embryo sharing a sac and placenta, not DNA manipulation. Is it unusual and irregular? Yes, but still natural condition. And polycephalic animals are not considered different species from their normal kinds, just like people who are conjoint-twins are still humans.

Now let’s see if a significant parts of your entire DNA-code got replaced with parts of monkey’s DNA. Scientifically-speaking, can you still be called human? Any biologists here who can answer that?
Guesstimating to fill gaps in a puzzle =/= creating an entirely new puzzle. Differentiate please.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-06-16, 11:18   Link #270
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Guesstimating to fill gaps in a puzzle =/= creating an entirely new puzzle. Differentiate please.
Just imagine when the day comes where humans are extinct and filled the dinos’ shoes. And then after dozens of thousands or millions of years, a new intelligent lifeforms excavate our remains and amber-trapped mosquitos that have our blood and somehow able to extract our incomplete DNA code and want to clone us. They then have to use whatever fitting animal available at the time to fill the gaps in the puzzle (could be a futuristic monkey or something). Will you call the result a natural human?

And like I said, the action of cloning itself is already not natural, so I don’t think we should even bother arguing about the “naturality” of cloning in the first place. If you don’t think so then let’s agree to disagree.
Old 2015-06-16, 21:11   Link #271
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Just imagine when the day comes where humans are extinct and filled the dinos’ shoes. And then after dozens of thousands or millions of years, a new intelligent lifeforms excavate our remains and amber-trapped mosquitos that have our blood and somehow able to extract our incomplete DNA code and want to clone us. They then have to use whatever fitting animal available at the time to fill the gaps in the puzzle (could be a futuristic monkey or something). Will you call the result a natural human?

And like I said, the action of cloning itself is already not natural, so I don’t think we should even bother arguing about the “naturality” of cloning in the first place. If you don’t think so then let’s agree to disagree.
Wrong question. Are they trying to make a homo sapien or are they trying to make a neander sapien 9000? It's the difference between trying to imagine a saber tooth cat VS trying to imagine a total chimera.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-06-16, 21:49   Link #272
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Wrong question. Are they trying to make a homo sapien or are they trying to make a neander sapien 9000? It's the difference between trying to imagine a saber tooth cat VS trying to imagine a total chimera.
Eh, I already said that they “want to clone us”. By that I mean they want to clone actual humans today, not mutants. But of course they can’t because they don’t have our complete DNA code. Whatever they’ll produce by mixing our code with other animal’s code will not be the clone of actual humans we see today. And that’s the twist in JP franchise: all the dinos that we see from the beginning are not actual clones of dinos from the past, but modified creatures to fill a theme park (thank you, frog DNA). If we want to see actual dinos, we need to either make a clone from the “perfect” dino DNA code or create a time machine and went back to the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what they make since whatever they produce via cloning will not be a natural thing which is the point and core of my argument.
Old 2015-06-17, 09:29   Link #273
Akito Kinomoto

Quote:
Eh, I already said that they “want to clone us”. By that I mean they want to clone actual humans today, not mutants. But of course they can’t because they don’t have our complete DNA code. Whatever they’ll produce by mixing our code with other animal’s code will not be the clone of actual humans we see today. And that’s the twist in JP franchise: all the dinos that we see from the beginning are not actual clones of dinos from the past, but modified creatures to fill a theme park (thank you, frog DNA). If we want to see actual dinos, we need to either make a clone from the “perfect” dino DNA code or create a time machine and went back to the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what they make since whatever they produce via cloning will not be a natural thing which is the point and core of my argument.
The only thing Frog DNA changed is the capacity to change sex. Many of the dinosaur depictions in the franchise already resemble what scientists think they look like anyway with a few exceptions. I guess you're suggesting the IRL people go back to the drawing board? Not buying it. We can only guess how extinct species look, but that isn't the same as deliberately sticking a mastodon skull onto a giant sloth skeleton. I simply made the distinction of calling the I-Rex a monster and unnatural, but my actual criticism of it is the monster kinda sucks.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-06-17, 11:16   Link #274
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The only thing Frog DNA changed is the capacity to change sex. Many of the dinosaur depictions in the franchise already resemble what scientists think they look like anyway with a few exceptions. I guess you're suggesting the IRL people go back to the drawing board? Not buying it. We can only guess how extinct species look, but that isn't the same as deliberately sticking a mastodon skull onto a giant sloth skeleton. I simply made the distinction of calling the I-Rex a monster and unnatural, but my actual criticism of it is the monster kinda sucks.
Ok, so you think I-Rex sucks, nobody will argue with that since it depends on personal opinion.

But Wu’s remark that they’ve never made something natural in the park is true since cloning itself is not natural. Yet you call it BS. If you want a natural dinosaur, you'd have to find one that's still alive today or make a time machine and bring back some from the past, not through imperfect cloning like they've done in JP .
Old 2015-06-17, 14:04   Link #275
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
new species have been declare with difference. genetically they are a different species.
Old 2015-06-17, 19:56   Link #276
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

This is too hilarious to be ignored :

Images
Zookeepers re-enacting the "raptor whisperer"-scene in JW
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

So....anyone else wanna try with your pets?
Old 2015-06-17, 20:22   Link #277
Mr Hat and Clogs

That second set with the emu or ostrich is good, and kinda the most accurate modern version, lol.
Old 2015-06-17, 21:17   Link #278
Akito Kinomoto

^ Wolves or primates would be better candidates for taming intelligence though
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-06-17, 21:28   Link #279
Mr Hat and Clogs

yeah, but they don't quite look the part.
Old 2015-06-17, 21:51   Link #280
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

This article from io9 also made me chuckle a bit. The criticism about the movie is somewhat fair though:

Spoiler for This review include spoilers of the JW ending:

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-06-18 at 01:28.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote