AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 00:56   Link #261
Black_Sharingan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange

Well 'dan' doesn't exactly translate to 'club' as I posted in an edit earlier...
adding a 'gun' (army, armed forces) to make it 'gundan' would make it a 'troop' or 'corps' or 'legion'... you can fudge it and say 'army' but strictly speaking it wouldn't translate that way...
Corps makes it sound like they're in the army though instead of in high school.
Black_Sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 00:58   Link #262
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sharingan
Corps makes it sound like they're in the army though instead of in high school.
Well we're talking more about what to call a 'Haruhi Army of Fans' and not what the SOS-dan in the anime itself should be translated as.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:04   Link #263
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Wagnerian opera? Heck no! Haruhi would compose her OWN opera!
Nah, nah, she'd go back in time, join Warner Bros animation studios, give Chuck Jones the idea for "What's Opera Doc", go back into the future, be disatisfied with his choice of music, then go back in time, kick Wagner in the sack, and slap the sheet music for Der Ring des Nibelungen on his desk.

PS: Anyone have the logo for the SOS-dan and maybe the characters for the name of the club?
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:06   Link #264
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
I pledge Allegiance,
To the SOS-dan and the United State of Haruhi
And to the anime, for which it stands,
One nation, under Aliens,
With Future Maids, and ESP for all
I did it way before you did, son XD

Blah, my late review for episode 2 (waiting for two days before you can watch the most antipated anime of the year [for me at least] is torturious).

Sushi-Y and kj1980 said enough already; but I just couldn't hold it in:

THANK YOU KYOANI FOR PRESERVING THE MONOLOGUES!!!!!!! BUHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY I IMAGINED IT TO BE WHEN I READ THE BOOK!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THANK YOU!!

If happiness could be used to create real life objects, I would be dumping truckloads of flowers onto Kyoani's front door right now.

ahem.

Anyway as Sushi-Y said, if you watched the anime, you have read the novel. Kyoani decided to follow the novel line by line(check it out yourself)- which in my honest opinion, is the best thing they could have done.

I was not convinced of Kyoani's skills even after Air, FMP:TSR, and the 1st episode of SH; now I am a convert.

The 2nd episode had everything I could have hoped for except for a few jokes. It even has all the hidden plot lines intact!

The VA's choice took me by surprise when the news was annonced; after episode 2, however, I am convinced.
Old 2006-04-11, 01:10   Link #265
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
PS: Anyone have the logo for the SOS-dan and maybe the characters for the name of the club?
Logo?

You can also find it at SOS-dan's official site (anime official site).

Characters? You mean the name in Japanese?
世界を大いに盛り上げるための涼宮ハルヒの団
(Sekai wo Ooini moriagerutameno Suzumiya Haruhi no dan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Anyway as Sushi-Y said, if you watched the anime, you have read the novel. Kyoani decided to follow the novel line by line(check it out yourself)- which in my honest opinion, is the best thing they could have done.
Wow, you're translating the novel? o.O You're nuts.

Also, why did "Kyon" become "Omone" in those translations? O.o
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:23   Link #266
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y

Also, why did "Kyon" become "Omone" in those translations? O.o
I was looking up online for the roman. version of the names, and someone said Omone XD I figured I will keep it until I get the right translation from fansubs XDDDD .

I've changed it now.

If Kyoani screwed up and gave the story a bad name, I would take it upon myself for the thankless task.
But no, the anime is good enough as it is- I don't think I need to translate it any further XD .
Old 2006-04-11, 01:30   Link #267
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Well 'dan' doesn't exactly translate to 'club' as I posted in an edit earlier...
adding a 'gun' (army, armed forces) to make it 'gundan' would make it a 'troop' or 'corps' or 'legion'... you can fudge it and say 'army' but strictly speaking it wouldn't translate that way...
I think we can settle for less than a straight up army we'd just have to revise our policies a little. Instead of military conquests against other anime of this season, there will be instead, conversion through Haruhi-ism...very "forced" conversion that is according to your mockup.

Episode 2 was great, I'll have to second that Kyon having the back of his head slammed against a desk is one of the most randomly hilarious scenes I've seen in a while.

Too bad the show is only 14 episodes long. I guess sustaining the insane level of animation for over that many episodes would bleed their budget dry =/
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:33   Link #268
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Logo?

You can also find it at SOS-dan's official site (anime official site).

Characters? You mean the name in Japanese?
世界を大いに盛り上げるための涼宮ハルヒの団
(Sekai wo Ooini moriagerutameno Suzumiya Haruhi no dan)
Thank you! If it's not a problem could you also tell me what the text in this graphic means?

http://www.haruhi.tv/img/sos_title.gif

I'm gonna take a stab at making some SOS-dan ID cards.
Old 2006-04-11, 01:39   Link #269
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
I think we can settle for less than a straight up army we'd just have to revise our policies a little. Instead of military conquests against other anime of this season, there will be instead, conversion through Haruhi-ism...very "forced" conversion that is according to your mockup.

Episode 2 was great, I'll have to second that Kyon having the back of his head slammed against a desk is one of the most randomly hilarious scenes I've seen in a while.
Well I'm still keeping my sig as is Its too funny to just abandon it.

Anyway what would the tagline be then? "Join my club! or else..." "Convert to Haruhi-ism! or else..." "Join S.O.S! or else..."

Kyon's headsmash is memorable also cos it marks the beginning of the unstoppable gush of joy! Haruhi the irresistable cannonball!

Oh yea... my copy of the novels (all 7) will be arriving soon *conversion will be complete*

Quote:
http://www.haruhi.tv/img/sos_title.gifI'm gonna take a stab at making some SOS-dan ID cards.
It just says "Welcome to the S.O.S. dan site"

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-11, 01:44   Link #270
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Thank you! If it's not a problem could you also tell me what the text in this graphic means?

http://www.haruhi.tv/img/sos_title.gif

I'm gonna take a stab at making some SOS-dan ID cards.
"Welcome to SOS-dan's site!"

The site is a mock copy of the actual SOS-dan website created by Kyon. Everything is made to specification just like it was in the novel, from the totally crappy design (since Kyon have no web design skills whatsoever) to the complete lack of information (because Haruhi just told him to "make a website" without giving him any other directions), etc.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:45   Link #271
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Don't know if anyone noticed this in episode 2, but:
Spoiler for episode 2:
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:51   Link #272
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Curses! The PARC DataGlyph library looks too mucky to bother with writing an app to embed Data into the logo...

Guess I'll just use QR codes, that'd make more sense anyhow.
Old 2006-04-11, 02:06   Link #273
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Spoiler for "enforced" recruitment second mock-up:

Old 2006-04-11, 02:53   Link #274
Kyousuke

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kyousuke; 2006-04-11 at 03:04.
Kyousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 03:02   Link #275
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Don't know if anyone noticed this in episode 2, but:
Spoiler for episode 2:
AAWWWEEESSOOMMMEEEE!!!!!!!

She's a Hyperion fan!!

Is she the Shrike? Lol.
Old 2006-04-11, 03:30   Link #276
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Curses! No Image attachments!

Oh well, WIP:

I'm thinking I should drop the English overlay text. Anyone who's going to have any freaking clue what this is about will have an idea of what the Japanese text says...
Old 2006-04-11, 04:13   Link #277
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

This anime is pure win and full of awesome.

I just hope that Haruhi and Kyon don't fall in love and Haruhi looses what makes her, her... *stares at Shana*...
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 05:36   Link #278
yura`

hmm... after glancing through this thread, this anime has really intrigued me, and i'm sorely tempted to d/l it... but it seems that most of u read the original novel? so i'm just wondering if my not knowing the story at all will affect my understanding of the anime in any way? thx!!
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 06:51   Link #279
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by yura`
hmm... after glancing through this thread, this anime has really intrigued me, and i'm sorely tempted to d/l it... but it seems that most of u read the original novel? so i'm just wondering if my not knowing the story at all will affect my understanding of the anime in any way? thx!!
Can only say this. For the current season there are 2 shows where the lead's name is Haruhi.

Get both

Need another reason? Suzumiya Haruhi has turned my entire concept of Quantum Physics on its head [or at least affirmed that part of it on preceived reality ]. That and the amazing level of animation put in. No prior knowledge of story required.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 06:54   Link #280
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Just caught episode 2. Ladies and gentlemen, only two episodes in but it looks like we have a winner. Suzumiya Haruhi has just completely hit the ball out of the park with its sheer uniqueness. Add in the amazing animation, brilliant directing, fascinating characters and perfect comedic timing and we are very possibly looking at what is, at the very least, a contender for anime of the year.

Yes, I know it's early days yet, but to say that all the elements of a hit are here almost goes without saying. But what we're seeing here are, imo, initial glimpses of a very, very special piece of work, the likes of which we tend to see (at most) only once or twice a year in anime.

The big test for this anime is will it be able to maintain this level for the entire course of the series. Fingers crossed that it will... because if it does this could be a title we'll be talking about for years after it's over.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen