AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-09-21, 19:09   Link #261
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

What a way to copy the length of Aoshi's blade to equalize the reaction time and reach. Fight was good and was surprised to see Kenshin himself use his own body or the butt of his sword to defeat Aoshi.

That gatling gun...crazy how western military might infiltrated and affected the Asian countries back then.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-21, 19:21   Link #262
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose in a show like this there's a fair flexibility for what characters can do. But considering Kanryu doesn't seem all that strong I think it should be relatively possible to flank the guy. Not like it's a small machine gun that can be waved around the room that quickly. But I suppose this was the only way that guy could be any kind of threat. Plus creates a good threat level from that psycho and good reason for someone to kill him.

Good fight for Kenshin and he pulled it off pretty well. Had to use his head to get through this one. Though I'll say Aoishi had good fortune that Kenshin wasn't in bloodthirsty mode here. Not quite the same threat level from Kenshin while he's in this mental state.
Old 2023-09-21, 20:48   Link #263
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Kenshin sure got hurt on this one but he reacting fast to changing situations but he could have thought of a better way the grabbing on to his own blade
Old 2023-09-21, 22:07   Link #264
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I remember always hating that fight. I don't care how they try to pass it off as "it's the less sharp part of the blade" and all that. You grip it hard enough to draw blood, and then grip it even harder, you're going to screw up tendons and muscles even if it doesn't reach the bone.
Kenshin just built different I guess .
Old 2023-09-22, 06:30   Link #265
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

It was kinda like the Jin-e fight were the two guys were match but Kenshin this time downright refused from even thinking about killing Shinomori which led to a more kind of equal level.
Old 2023-09-22, 08:09   Link #266
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Kenshin just built different I guess .
It might make sense considering that during Yahiko's poisoning, Kenshin said his only knowledge of medics is how to treat cuts so he is used to how properly touch sharp objects without making big wounds
Old 2023-09-22, 09:33   Link #267
zztop

Because the Oniwabanshu and Aoshi didn't appear in live-action movie 1, they had Kenshin and Sanosuke fight these original henchmen characters.

zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-22, 20:35   Link #268
HandofFate

trying to notice more differences, guess one big change I remember from the old series is that Karou didn't join the gang in this fight, the exposition she did was given to Yahiko here.
Old 2023-09-28, 12:58   Link #269
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

He is coming:

Spoiler for future arc:
Well, can't say I'm excited for him 🤷
Old 2023-09-28, 13:30   Link #270
Frontier

Man, Shikijo. If you're going to go out, go out as hardcore as possible by tanking bullets to protect your leader. If only you could have gotten out of it with your life .

Beshimi and Hyottoko also try to save Aoshi with a trick, but even they're powerless against the power of Kanryu's Gat Gat Gat !

Han'nya may not have had much of a face worth speaking of, but he had nobility in him, and absolutely loyalty to his leader, to the point of sacrificing himself so Kenshin could get his sword back. Now Aoshi's lost the entire Oniwaban Group .

Ah jeez, you have to drive the tragedy home with that flashback. The Oniwaban may not have been the mots pleasant company, but they were comrades who cared about one another, especially their leader, who was loyal to them in turn. They didn't deserve to go out like this .

"Gatling is beautiful! Gatling is wonderful! Gatling is my darling!" Find something you love like Kanryu does his gatling gun. Even if it does almost burn him .

The gatling guns' one weakness? It runs out of bullets. And that's how the Oniwaban Group defeated Kanryu, by making him expend all his ammunition and leaving him with nothing but his cowardice, as Kenshin knocks him out in one hit. He deserved worse .

I love how Sano and Yahiko just kick the door open when they can't beat the lock. Too bad Megumi is still resolved to end her life to atone for her crimes, but Sano isn't about to let her get off when Kenshin and Yahiko fought so hard for her .

Oh, so NOW the police actually do something (though they'd been monitoring Kanryu for a while, so I guess this gave them the perfect excuse to raid his mansion). Which is convenient for Megumi, because if she can't kill herself the next best thing is turning herself in and getting the death penalty...but luckily Team Kenshin covers for her, because not only was she not a willing accomplice but just like Kenshin trying to make up for his past as Battosai, the best thing for Megumi to do is not throw her life away when she can make up for her past by being a proper doctor like her family .

I love how Kanryu is being carted away and he still only cares about the gatling gun like it's his wife or something .

Did anyone really think Aoshi would let himself get caught? And he beheaded his entire group to give them proper burials. And now the only thing keeping him going is the chance for a rematch with Kenshin, which he's fine with .

Kaoru! Man, it's nice to see her. And she even has her own battle scars from cooking meals for everybody. It's just too bad it's not edible, but it's the intention that matters .

Good to know that Megumi is free and clear and can now continue her passion with the resident doctor. Though she's also still game for romancing Kenshin if he's up to it. Kaoru straight up waving around a sign so a vixen doesn't steal her man. But I do feel that Megumi and Sano have a bit of a solid rapport going on between them .
Old 2023-09-28, 15:50   Link #271
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Good episode. Too bad the 4 henchmen went that way to protect their leader. Kenshin has that split personality and it will only get more distinctive as the series progresses.

I guess space is limited so no female foxes allowed at Kaoru's place. Not too worry Kaoru, because the seed for Sanosuke x Megumi was planted today.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-28, 17:55   Link #272
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

"Don't die before I kill you"

Typical tsundere rival line.
Old 2023-09-28, 19:08   Link #273
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I can't imagine the restraint Kenshin had to pull to not smash Kanryu's skull. He already utterly hated this guy and was given increasingly greater reasons to feel that way as the episode went along. Still it was pretty satisfying to have him get one good hit in.

The really brutal thing is that they were saved by Kanryu being an idiot and losing track of his bullets. Otherwise Kenshin wouldn't have been able to close the distance in time. The only compliment I can offer that scumbag is that he has some insane shooting skills. If he just went into the military instead of being a merchant of death he would have done pretty well. I mean seriously. This guy was swinging around that gatling gun like it was nothing and unleashing precision shots like he had a sniper rifle.

Good that Megumin was sent on her way. I get her desire to pay for her crimes with death. But I also agree with Kenshin that she can do so much more with her life. Sure, give Kanryu the death penalty 100 times over. But Megumin has the will and skills to save lives. She can't make it right. But she can at least do some good.

Though best she gives up on Kenshin now. I'm glad for some hints with her and Sano since...I think Kaoru has more than proven her worth as lead heroine of this story.

Good on Kenshin for trying to offer Aoshi something to live for. I don't know how that's all going to play out. Is there any good way for this to wrap up without one of them dying? I guess we'll find out someday.
Old 2023-09-28, 19:47   Link #274
grecefar

she is a good doctor or will become one, she should try and save as many people she can and maybe find a way to cure those affected by the opium.

well, kenshin now has a rival.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-28, 20:52   Link #275
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Those poor guys throwing there lives away they should of all attacked together
Old 2023-09-29, 06:28   Link #276
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yep, this is the part where Furuhashi did the story better yet again in 1996.

In this episode, all the Oniwaban underlings only became bullet-sponges until Kanryu ran out of ammo. But in Furuhashi version, Kanryu's gatling actually got stopped by Besshimi's nail that he shot earlier, jamming the ammo/cartridge belt. So their sacrifice actually amounted to something.
Old 2023-09-29, 06:41   Link #277
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yep, this is the part where Furuhashi did the story better yet again in 1996.

In this episode, all the Oniwaban underlings only became bullet-sponges until Kanryu ran out of ammo. But in Furuhashi version, Kanryu's gatling actually got stopped by Besshimi's nail that he shot earlier, jamming the ammo/cartridge belt. So their sacrifice actually amounted to something.
I disagree, it's more poetic the way Watsuki wrote it. Their sacrifice did mean something for the reason Kenshin said, and there's more pathos in that especially given the historical context.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-29, 06:48   Link #278
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Gotta say I still like how they keep toning down the comedy in favor of wholesome scenes. We had something similar with Sanosuke's defeat where Kenshin wondered if he actually was like the other Ishin Ishishi only to be comforted by Kaoru and Yahiko. Now we have everybody actually having a meal together. By the way, something I never really understood is how in Furuhashi's version Sanosuke and Megumi tend to be potential love interests sometimes.
Old 2023-09-29, 09:19   Link #279
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I disagree, it's more poetic the way Watsuki wrote it. Their sacrifice did mean something for the reason Kenshin said, and there's more pathos in that especially given the historical context.
Yeah, it did capture how near-unstoppable a gatling gun is and the impact that had on Japan, especially for the "old school" like Kenshin or the Oniwaban Group.
Old 2023-09-29, 10:07   Link #280
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
By the way, something I never really understood is how in Furuhashi's version Sanosuke and Megumi tend to be potential love interests sometimes.
Heck even in this version, Sano & Megu are still shown as potential love interests.