AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-03-22, 06:26   Link #261
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I see exactly zero reasons why not to watch both. Somehow i really doubt Air TV contained all the material either. Main story of Air was about Misuzu/Yukito, and the movie focused on that. Personally, i found Air movie a bit more to my liking. (Both of the increased romance aspect, and because it managed to extract more emotions from me... though the attachment i had to the characters from watching the series surely helped in that aspect).

In short - i see no reason not to watch it. (unless you want to remain unspoiled, but that does not seem to be the reasoning behind your post).
I don't think you understood my question right (don't feel offended, no one understands them anyway). What I'm asking is...

"which should be a better version of the CLANNED story, the movie or the TV series?"

I'm not aiming to watch only one, I'm definitly going to watch them both. But due to past experiences with Key, KyoAni and TOEI, I'm not sure which of them should I watch first.

My reasons behind this question was because of Kanon. A year ago I watched the old Kanon series made by TOEI; I liked the story alot despite the bad art work and shortened plot. But when KyoAni made Kanon 2006, I regereted watching the old series. But with Air it was the other way around. I watched KyoAni's TV version first and then watched TOEI's movie. And I was glad that I didn't watch the movie before the series.

So to conclude this boring post, should I wait for the TV series or not?
Although I know some of you will disagree with my comments on Kanon and AIR but keep in mind that this is MY openion and it's irrelevant to my question. Just place yourself in my place and answer.
Old 2007-03-22, 06:36   Link #262
Skane
Anime Snark

How can anyone know which one is better until they have seen both? o_O;

Eh-to...
Old 2007-03-22, 06:43   Link #263
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
"which should be a better version of the CLANNED story, the movie or the TV series?"
If by better we mean more material covered, then it is going to be the series, hands down, no questions asked

Now... my knowledge of Clannad constitutes of a quick browse-over the wiki article, but as far as i gathered the stories of Clannad are connected together rather tightly... i could be wrong though. Which leaves me thinking - how are they going to integrate the rather large cast in the movie. Of course this does not matter if it is possible to produce a story with a good closure without focusing on all the characters.

Which was the case in Air movie - you don't need the presence of other girls what so ever to tell the story Misuzu and Yukito from the start to the very end.
While i get the impression (which might be totally wrong for all i know... some one who has played the game can elaborate on this) that all stories of Clannad are tied together to some extent.

In short - what worries me about the Clannad movie is that there might be too much material to cover to make it look "complete" without being rushed. And i have no idea whether it is possible to isolate a part of Clannad and tell it as a separate story, while making it look good at the same time.

^ All that is based on my very limited knowledge about Clannad, and my impression that all the arcs are tied together. ( And i don't want to dig trough an extensive material and information to clarify this, because i want to remain unspoiled to some extent )... meaning i could be very wrong with what i wrote, so feel free to laugh at me.
Old 2007-03-22, 06:47   Link #264
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
How can anyone know which one is better until they have seen both? o_O;
I think we can all safely agree at this point that a comparison of a full feature movie to a TV anime series is like comparing oranges and apples.
Seriously, the way some people have been comparing the AIR movie to the series is quite ridiculous. The movie was overambitious, yes, but I'd give Toei's a hand anyway for trying to make most of the story happen in a mere hour and a half. The terms for these two formats are that much different! While it's safe to compare Toei's and KyoAni's Kanon, that kind of comparison model is definitely not safe, nor fair to use when comparing a TV series to a theatrical movie release, in this case being the upcoming CLANNAD works.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 07:45   Link #265
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I agree.

The movie will be targeting a broader audience while trying to include fans of the game. The TV series is targeting the game fans. The movie has only 90 minutes to tell a distilled story that mainstream will understand and love without game knowledge. The TV series has approx. 650 minutes to tell it and has to hit all those special scenes.

So, you'll be getting 2 interpretations of the same material imo, diet Clannad and regular Clannad.
Old 2007-03-22, 11:57   Link #266
wontaek

Since there are so many character routes in Clannad, I hope they concentrate on one character in the movie, and the TV series to concentrate on other girls that did not get enough exposure in the movie.
Old 2007-03-22, 12:16   Link #267
DanielSong39

I'm hoping both adaptations focus on Nagisa's plot, and relegate other girls to supporting roles... but I don't think it will happen in the TV series.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 13:08   Link #268
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I'm hoping both adaptations focus on Nagisa's plot, and relegate other s to supporting roles... but I don't think it will happen in the TV series.
So, you just read through the Wikipedia article and became an expert, right?
The Fuuko Masters should have you hung, drawn, and quartered for this heresy, but I think it would be a waste of time.

While I agree that Nagisa should probably be the winner, sticking the other four into support roles would be a bad move, especially considering how large the supporting cast already is. Instead, a formula similar to Kanon '06 (where possible), but more integrated and better planned out would probably be the best way to go.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 13:28   Link #269
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
So, you just read through the Wikipedia article and became an expert, right?
The Fuuko Masters should have you hung, drawn, and quartered for this heresy, but I think it would be a waste of time.

While I agree that Nagisa should probably be the winner, sticking the other four into support roles would be a bad move, especially considering how large the supporting cast already is. Instead, a formula similar to Kanon '06 (where possible), but more integrated and better planned out would probably be the best way to go.
Except, gaining light is either going have to go one of two ways:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-22, 14:03   Link #270
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
In short - what worries me about the Clannad movie is that there might be too much material to cover to make it look "complete" without being rushed. And i have no idea whether it is possible to isolate a part of Clannad and tell it as a separate story, while making it look good at the same time.
That's what I'm worried about too, that's why I asked my (kinda stupid) question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The movie will be targeting a broader audience while trying to include fans of the game. The TV series is targeting the game fans.
Another reason why I've decided to watch the movie afterwords. Broader audience targeting = lower quality (or so I've seen). So I think I'll stay away from this topic (future forum) until the TV series is aired. さよなら~
Old 2007-03-22, 14:57   Link #271
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Except, gaining light is either going have to go one of two ways:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty ignorant on the latter details of the story, so I don't fully know how well this would work, but my guess would be
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-22, 15:36   Link #272
velocity7

Quote:
I'm pretty ignorant on the latter details of the story, so I don't fully know how well this would work, but my guess would be
Spoiler:
Spoiler for After Story:

Spoiler for Normal stuff:
Old 2007-03-22, 15:52   Link #273
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
So, I'm looking for an English Walkthrough, or an English version of the story so that I can follow more of the conversation on this thread in the meantime. I did look at the Wikipedia entry for the game (can't believe that some music group came up the first time... silly editors...), but I can't say that really left me feeling like I understood the story.
Anyone... anyone... Bueller... ?
Old 2007-03-22, 16:05   Link #274
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Anyone... anyone... Bueller... ?
If you want an English script, this is the best you're gonna do.
Old 2007-03-22, 18:02   Link #275
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

The multiple heroine scenarios are really nothing more than a distraction compared to the main CLANNAD story, which has no branches (well, not really), so there's really no use for "who's going to be the main" speculations. Nagisa will have to be the main in order for the full story to play out.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I actually thought about that possibility, but can you imagine what Nagisa's face would look like if she found out about that later?
Spoiler for something like this:

As for the scenario light orb thing, I'm guessing they'll probably follow very closely to the original flow, which looks something like this:
Spoiler for possible flow? For gamers only:
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 19:24   Link #276
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
If you want an English script, this is the best you're gonna do.
Not what I had hoped for, but at least it gives me something to peruse while waiting

Thanks!
Old 2007-03-22, 19:28   Link #277
amoirsp

Editing a wiki is oh so fun. Too bad I don't know Japanese and yet I enjoy playing the game. It eats time like no tomorrow!

Since the Toei movie would seem to air first, I'll watch that first. It's nice to get an overview. I won't be surprised if it had a similar format to air. I also won't be surprised if it forgoes some characters entirely.

I actually enjoyed Kanon 2002, so I don't have so much Toei negativity of Key airings. but that may be due to watching it first among other preferences. I found it hard to replay the 2006 version or pick target episodes for fun, where it was easier to do for 2002, probably due to it being shorter. It might be more due to character usage balance rather than quality, so even with more inaccuracy at times it felt more moving or cohesive or consecutive since transitions felt more fluent. It also might be due to the slight weaknesses of 2006 were more annoying to me than 2002's weaknesses. It's more like preferences rather than one being better than the other.

I think the most interesting about the TV series may be how Tomoya is used, which would be a component that the game does not present due to Visual Novels having the pattern of first person perspective without voice or picture for the most part. By seeing him in third person would project a different point of view in some ways. I'll look forward to seeing him animated rather than gripe about the possible shafting that to some degree would happen by default.

For Clannad, the other girls doing support roles would be the easy part. The hard part is the merging of the routes that are independent of one another. Well, I hope that what is created can be convincing and satisfying. I wouldn't mind if there were adjustments, altercations, or original content if the flow is very good.

Spoiler:
amoirsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 19:39   Link #278
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
Spoiler:
Lol you just reminded me of that scene and now I can't stop laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
Spoiler:
Sounds like a valid education system to me.

As for the rest, it's really up to Kyoani. Given to their track record, I'm sure they'll give us a good deal.

I need to stop trolling.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 09:56   Link #279
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
I actually thought about that possibility, but can you imagine what Nagisa's face would look like if she found out about that later?
Spoiler for something like this:
You know what I'm waiting for? I'm waiting for when Tomoya gets a pr0n book. And gets booked by Nagisa.
Old 2007-03-23, 10:51   Link #280
yura`

Wow, after watching Kanon, I'm really looking forward to Clannad, especially since I know absolutely nothing about it, and skimming through this thread so far didn't really give me any major clues or hints to what the storyline really is about. But the gradual hype surrounding the announcement of another adaptation of Key's works is pretty intriguing, and I loved and enjoyed Kanon (as a newbie and my first exposure to Key's works.)

When I started Kanon, the impression I received was that it's a huge emotional thing, and that there are twists and turns in the plot to be expected, and the layers of the mystery surrounding the plot will be slowly peeled away as the story advances. But after watching Kanon, I realize it's not so much of a tragedy, but more of miracles and hope (which I personally thought fitted quite well with the ending, although not perfect, of course) - although I did enjoy the 'surprises' which the plot twists brought.

Sorry for the sidetrack musings on Kanon (!). Heh. But I guess I'm just hoping to get an idea of what to expect in and from Clannad. But if it's anything similar to Kanon (of course I don't expect it to be the same), then I await to be pleasantly surprised by the story, whether in joy or tears.
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen