AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-06-17, 23:24   Link #281
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Now I want see mega-titanic vs sentient iceberg. Sounds like to would fit alongside mega-shark vs super octopus or whatever those weird movies are called.

The empathy via children thingy though, I really didn't care to much about or read into when I saw the movie. You seen the exact same thing in other movies with both male and female characters, but apparently it's terrible when it happens to females or something. Whatever, I didn't really care that much about that.
Old 2015-06-18, 00:37   Link #282
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I keep seeing the complaint that the movie was telling Claire to have kids...but I don't agree. I think it was a pretty common workaholic storyline. Don't get so caught up in what you are doing that you don't have a life outside of work and lose contact with your family. I mean she hadn't seen the one brother in 7 years....that's a long time to stay out of contact. I mean there was like one line where her sister talked about her having a family someday....crazy I know. I mean siblings would never say that kind of thing to each other....nope, impossible conversation. People talk about others not understanding their feelings until they are in their position all the time and in various contexts. This kind of stuff happens all the time, even in the first movie in respects. Doctor Grant's (girlfriend/fiance/friend/whatever their relationship in that movie) basically sicks two kids on him because it'd be good for him. Swap genders and people would rip up Jurassic Park for being insensitive or something.

The whole spoiler FAQ was pretty poor criticism. I too would love to see Mega-Titanic vs Sentient Iceberg....but the comparison doesn't fit. People bored of seeing the same old thing in a zoo and wanting to create something more exciting isn't the same as creating an iceberg designed to attack a ship. It'd be better to say they slapped insanely powerful rockets onto the Mega-Titanic that makes it exceptionally more dangerous, but also faster and thus more convenient.

It sounds like a complaint that treats Jurassic World as something far removed from a zoo, which it basically is. Zoos have dangerous animals, you let the lions out of their exhibit and a few people are going to die.
Old 2015-06-18, 01:24   Link #283
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I keep seeing the complaint that the movie was telling Claire to have kids...but I don't agree.
*snip*
It’s probably the case of some feminists and unmarried/un-family people who wants to be left alone by their relatives/extended/family over-analyzing the movie. I too see the movie’s massage for Claire is that being such a workaholic girl and ignoring your family is not really a good manner even though you're already a grown up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The whole spoiler FAQ was pretty poor criticism. I too would love to see Mega-Titanic vs Sentient Iceberg....but the comparison doesn't fit. *snip*
Yeah, that’s why I said it’s somewhat fair. Some of the criticism are spot on (eg. the poor decisions made by the humans in charge), but some of them are not (eg. the Claire-complaints).
Old 2015-06-18, 02:34   Link #284
DerGilga
Banned

It's a movie about dinosaurs (look-a-likes) eating people. The fact that people would complain about the characters being flat or stereotypical is beyond me. Heck, I would say the characters in the first Jurassic Park were not better than in Jurassic World.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 04:17   Link #285
Mr Hat and Clogs

Hey when I was.. 11 years old or whatever when that came out, Lex was a babe.

Also humans acting like morons is an expected trope in monster or disaster movies.
Old 2015-06-19, 03:58   Link #286
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2015-06-19, 04:18   Link #287
Mr Hat and Clogs

lols, love it. That was pretty much me.
Old 2015-06-19, 05:40   Link #288
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
lols, love it. That was pretty much me.
There’s something nagging me about the second pic though: are those the same mother and son, or is it the grown-up boy with his girlfriend?

Looking at the wrinkle in the woman’s face, I suspect it’s the same mother. Which might indicate that the boy still lives with her despite being all grown up and apparently he’s still a bit childish . If it’s true, then poor mother.
Old 2015-06-19, 06:23   Link #289
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

And so? I, too, still live with my mother, despite being 29. I certainly can get my own place (actually, I'm about to buy an apartment for both of us under my own name), but we're close enough to decide to still stick together (not to mention, she has an old shoulder injury that requires my help almost every day).

Aside from that, it looks like Prattkeeping is taking off. Not all pics are as good as the first few (the one with walruses, rhinos and ostriches), though.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-06-19 at 07:20.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 07:46   Link #290
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
And so? I, too, still live with my mother, despite being 29. I certainly can get my own place (actually, I'm about to buy an apartment for both of us under my own name), but we're close enough to decide to still stick together (not to mention, she has an old shoulder injury that requires my help almost every day).
Of course I’m not talking about the grown ups who are independent and choose to live with their parents. I’m talking about the “immature guy who is dependent and still lives under his parents and being nothing but a burden”-archetype when looking at the pic (the mother carrying all the shopping-bags might also be a hint for that).
Old 2015-06-19, 08:48   Link #291
Mr Hat and Clogs

I live with my folks still too, much cheaper than being on my own - although I've been tempted to a few times. Besides I like this house, and I couldn't leave the dog, I love that little guy. Besides the folks get their pound of flesh out of me and it lets them do things with me being around here as well (they can go do their grey nomad thingy and I get the house to myself anyway ).
Old 2015-06-30, 04:45   Link #292
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Petition on Hasbro’s controversial action of gender-swapping JW’s dino-toys from female to male actually works

The toy descriptions have now been changed from male dinosaurs:
“Clever as ever, Jurassic World's velociraptors are masterful hunters. And this awesome figure looks just like Velociraptor "Blue"! He's ready to team up with his fellow Velociraptors (other figures sold separately) to hunt the ultimate predator! His slashing claws and growling attack will destroy anything in his way. Let the hunt begin with your Velociraptor "Blue" figure!”

To female dinosaurs:
“Clever as ever, Jurassic World’s velociraptors are masterful hunters. And this awesome figure looks just like Velociraptor “Blue”! She’s ready to team up with her fellow Velociraptors (other figures sold separately) to hunt the ultimate predator! Her slashing claws and growling attack will destroy anything in her way. Let the hunt begin with your Velociraptor “Blue” figure!”

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Hasbro’s spokesperson for the company said the switch “was an oversight” and that Hasbro is “in the process of updating the language with the correct information.” The company said the copy on the website would be updated to reflect the change.

Well that’s a good thing, isn’t it?
Old 2015-06-30, 06:08   Link #293
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^I wonder if the people at Hasbro forgot, didn't know or didn't watch the trailers that the Raptors were female.
Old 2015-06-30, 06:18   Link #294
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
^I wonder if the people at Hasbro forgot, didn't know or didn't watch the trailers that the Raptors were female.
I'd rather go with: They didn't care (until angry parents and activists noticed it and made the petition that is).
Old 2015-06-30, 08:10   Link #295
james0246

Quote:
It's kind of a willful ignorance then, since the series has "starred" female dinosaurs for over 20 years (albeit futanari dinosaurs at time ).

Whatever the case, the issue is fixed. Now we just have to figure out why Hasbro felt the need to assign gender to a dinosaur toy to begin with.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 06:40   Link #296
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just want to put this here coz we simply need some opinions from actual palaeontologist(s) on the recent Jurassic World:

First is their overall view of the JP franchise:
Spoiler for interview:

And now the meat of the interview where they talk about Jurassic World:
Spoiler for interview:
Old 2015-07-11, 05:52   Link #297
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Old 2015-07-21, 12:00   Link #298
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Buy it. Buy it right now.

YouTube
Old 2015-08-20, 19:42   Link #299
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Concept Art for the Long-Shelved 90s Jurassic Park Animated Series is Revealed

Too bad coz Universal Studio made sure that the series would be high-quality in terms of both visual and writing, and they only needed Spielberg's nod of approval. Oh well, at least we get to see the Mosasaur in the concept art realized in Jurassic World.
Old 2015-10-25, 00:59   Link #300
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well, did enjoy rewatching this on BluRay. Feelings pretty well remain the same. The second best Jurassic Park film and a pretty good movie overall. Certainly some flaws in there, but overall I enjoyed it.

Deleted scenes are always interesting. I think some of them would have been nice to keep, maybe one of the scenes with the brothers. But some make sense why they were left out. I kind of wish they kept half of the 'covering up scent' scene, just because it did give some extra focus to Owen and Claire. A bit of focus on being the Aunt that has basically not been a part of the lives of her family would have been ok. Perfectly ok with skipping the last part of the scene though....probably not needed. Would have liked keeping the second part of the scene where Owen talks to the kids and then Claire about the whole Raptor plan. But can see them shaving off time wherever they could.