AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-10-29, 14:40   Link #281
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
I don't have the PDFs with me, but there's two questions I forgot how they were adressed in the novel:
  • Why is Aleister adressed by name, and people do not pick up who he is? I'm pretty sure it was explained, but I forgot how and where (maybe volume 7?).
  • Why hasn't Index try to get a new Walking Church? Is it because, since she lives with Touma, she doesn't want another one destroyed by IB by accident?
1.The Magic Side believes Aleister was killed by their assassins when he renounced to the Magic Side to study Science. He even has a grave on Great Britain with his remains. Of course these are false (as the bad guy from the PSP novel found out), part of the things he did to cover his tracks. When they were hunting him he made sure all the information they got of him was wrong. Thus, they can't link the supposedly dead magician Aleister Crowley with Aleister the leader of AC. Even if they use magic since the information they had was wrong so it wouldn't work. So they just assume Aleister is also his name or a false name he gives them to mess with them. This is all in OT6 epilogue if you want to check, it's the talk between Aleister and Tsuchimikado.

Obviously the higher ups have suspicions and Laura managed to get proof he's the same person when he attacked Fiamma so it's more like they need proof to confirm it.

2. Living with Touma would make having a new Walking Church a waste since he's going to eventually touch it and destroy it again.

Last edited by LazyHunter; 2014-10-29 at 15:49.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-29, 14:47   Link #282
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

"Aleister/Alastor" is not that rare of a name that it's only associated with one people in the whole world.

Like, you don't think anyone with the last name of 'Washington' to be related to THE Washington right? Especially when said individual was suppose to be dead decades ago and looks nothing like the books.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-29, 17:46   Link #283
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
1.The Magic Side believes Aleister was killed by their assassins when he renounced to the Magic Side to study Science. He even has a grave on Great Britain with his remains. Of course these are false (as the bad guy from the PSP novel found out), part of the things he did to cover his tracks. When they were hunting him he made sure all the information they got of him was wrong. Thus, they can't link the supposedly dead magician Aleister Crowley with Aleister the leader of AC. Even if they use magic since the information they had was wrong so it wouldn't work. So they just assume Aleister is also his name or a false name he gives them to mess with them. This is all in OT6 epilogue if you want to check, it's the talk between Aleister and Tsuchimikado.

Obviously the higher ups have suspicions and Laura managed to get proof he's the same person when he attacked Fiamma so it's more like they need proof to confirm it.

2. Living with Touma would make having a new Walking Church a waste since he's going to eventually touch it and destroy it again.
Thanks, though I do think he should have changed his name to be extra sure, because the past of the ruler of AC is still skeevy as fuck, but he probably either feels confident enough to pull it off, or just likes trolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
"Aleister/Alastor" is not that rare of a name that it's only associated with one people in the whole world.

Like, you don't think anyone with the last name of 'Washington' to be related to THE Washington right? Especially when said individual was suppose to be dead decades ago and looks nothing like the books.
From what I have seen on the web, the spelling "Aleister" is actually kinda iconic to Crowley. Much more common and used variations are either "Alistair" or "Alastair". It's like naming your boy "Elvis" which, while it is not an unusual name, people will assume (and it is probably true in most cases) that you named him after the King of rock n roll. And for some reasons, Aleister didn't give himself a new family name. While it would be a big leap in logic to think they are one and the same, it still is a strange "hidden in plain sight" tactic.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-29, 18:48   Link #284
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

stenography. a method of hiding information in plain sight without anyone actually knowing its there.
Old 2014-10-29, 19:50   Link #285
Inept Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou_Touma View Post
Ceillier? what character was that in Kanzaki's SS... I don't remember that name.
Ceillier Flatley - the comatose boy whom Brunhild wished to save and avenge, whom Brunhild left in the care of a Belgian hospital while she carried out her plans.

What I was wondering about was whether what Brunhild would likely have had at that time, considering her circumstances (having been pursued by the five Norse cabals for years then imprisoned by them for quite a while, and perhaps having her stuff stolen in the process), would have been enough to cover the costs - I was thinking that perhaps she might have had to do some other work while working on her plans to cover the costs, or perhaps taken some stuff from her tormentors for it, or perhaps something else aside from her main plan.
Inept Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-29, 22:01   Link #286
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

she probably did bounty work to pay for his medical bills. she's a saint and valkyrie, so why not.
Old 2014-10-30, 02:43   Link #287
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
From what I have seen on the web, the spelling "Aleister" is actually kinda iconic to Crowley. Much more common and used variations are either "Alistair" or "Alastair". It's like naming your boy "Elvis" which, while it is not an unusual name, people will assume (and it is probably true in most cases) that you named him after the King of rock n roll. And for some reasons, Aleister didn't give himself a new family name. While it would be a big leap in logic to think they are one and the same, it still is a strange "hidden in plain sight" tactic.
The no family name part could also make it seem like an alias.

In real life, the name "Aleister Crowley" doesn't really mean much to people anymore, I myself wouldn't have dig up all this 'lore' if it wasn't for this series... Yeah actually, has there been any other story that uses Aleister Crowley the person and have him as a BAMF and not just borrow his name here and there?
Old 2014-11-05, 09:53   Link #288
entei08

Might be a weird place to ask but does anyone know the name of the music at the start of the movie trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gWkDOlkI1Y ?
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-06, 01:32   Link #289
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by entei08 View Post
Might be a weird place to ask but does anyone know the name of the music at the start of the movie trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gWkDOlkI1Y ?
I believe that's an uncredited/unused song from the debut trailer. Never came up in the OST.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-27, 23:40   Link #290
human013

Did Stiyl always need his runes to summon his flame swords? In chapter 1 when the runes were washed away, he couldn't create them anymore but I'm pretty sure that in the movie he didn't need runes to create his flame swords, it just pops out from his hands.
human013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-27, 23:49   Link #291
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

pretty sure the runes are for Incontencius
Old 2014-11-28, 01:53   Link #292
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Nah, Stiyl level upped from his early days of being a punching bag.

But he probably does still need it if he wants to power up the sword.
Old 2014-11-28, 08:30   Link #293
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

cuz i never really see him using them until he wants to summon Innocentius, but I do know using runes increases his power's effectiveness and power levels.
Old 2014-11-30, 15:36   Link #294
human013

Back with another question. On page 104 in volume 1 where Index talks about alchemy and ars magna, why would the materials needed in turning lead into gold cost seven trillion yen? The price of lead is not that high and Ars magna creates whatever the user believes in, so where does seven trillion yen fit in? Wouldn't they just need lead and transmute it, kind of like in Fullmetal Alchemist?
Old 2014-11-30, 15:41   Link #295
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by human013 View Post
Back with another question. On page 104 in volume 1 where Index talks about alchemy and ars magna, why would the materials needed in turning lead into gold cost seven trillion yen? The price of lead is not that high and Ars magna creates whatever the user believes in, so where does seven trillion yen fit in? Wouldn't they just need lead and transmute it, kind of like in Fullmetal Alchemist?
First of all, the systems both series use is totally different.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 16:16   Link #296
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

who the heck would bring fma logic to tamni... its like apples and oranges.
Old 2014-11-30, 17:00   Link #297
human013

I think you are misunderstanding me. Touma said alchemists could turn lead to gold, meaning they needed the lead first then it could be turned to gold. The relation to fma is that they both need the materials first in order to transmute/change it. I know the system is different but in both systems, they don't create gold out of nowhere. So if all they needed was lead, why does it cost 7 trillion yen?
Old 2014-11-30, 17:09   Link #298
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

It's to perform Ars Magna, to get the necessary ingredients and tools, within their own timeline, the cost would be 7 trillion Yen.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 11:37   Link #299
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Btw, Ars magna is the ultimate form of Alchemy, not the basic form that any Alchemist could pull off.

Damn, at times like these it would be nice to have a copy around for reference >_>
Old 2014-12-01, 11:54   Link #300
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Btw, Ars magna is the ultimate form of Alchemy, not the basic form that any Alchemist could pull off.

Damn, at times like these it would be nice to have a copy around for reference >_>
I like to type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page104
"...They can perform Ars Magna, but...if you gathered the necessary ingredients and tools these days, in terms of Japanese currency...it would cost around, umm, seven trillion yen."
"................................................. .................................................. ......Well, that's completely pointless," Kamijou grumbled, as if his soul had left his body. Index smiled.
Should be just as in the book down to the number of dots.

Edit: for some reason, AS forums don't like to show all dots >.>
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memories, q&a