AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-09-14, 20:44   Link #281
Kioras

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikePotatoes View Post
Am I the only one that was annoyed by Lucato blaming Yun for her sword breaking ? Its not his fault, its her fault! She could have:
- Taken better care of it
- Brought a spare
- Included a person with a blacksmith sense in their party.

Someone had to stay back and distract the fox, they wanted to kill it but Yun wanted to save it, he told them to run away but Lucato stayed there and decided to join in through her own free will.

Her sword was already damaged even before Yun got there.
The problem was that they didn't bring any secondary weaponry with them.

I partially view it as teasing Yun, since it was Yun who brought it up and another part was being insecure that she was now not to useful unless they found some magical treasure weapons. The items are largely cursed unless they are hidden however.

I imagine a lot of the combat teams are having the same problem. They will likely at the end of the weak be wearing rags if they are still alive. A good time for PVP'rs who stayed hidden to hunting.

I think the game admin also hide all those cursed items in obvious locations to thin the herd of players to just the smartest, or most careful. A player putting on them on might be killed by there team or wipe out there team. Or you get an uber cursed item and a npc grabs it and nukes a bunch of people.
Kioras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 21:00   Link #282
iLikePotatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioras View Post
The problem was that they didn't bring any secondary weaponry with them.

I partially view it as teasing Yun, since it was Yun who brought it up and another part was being insecure that she was now not to useful unless they found some magical treasure weapons. The items are largely cursed unless they are hidden however.

I imagine a lot of the combat teams are having the same problem. They will likely at the end of the weak be wearing rags if they are still alive. A good time for PVP'rs who stayed hidden to hunting.

I dunno it seemed like she was blaming him, also its kind of stupid how she only brought 1 sword...

Quote:
I think the game admin also hide all those cursed items in obvious locations to thin the herd of players to just the smartest, or most careful. A player putting on them on might be killed by there team or wipe out there team. Or you get an uber cursed item and a npc grabs it and nukes a bunch of people.
Actually about that I think that someone is deliberately putting the cursed items on animals and letting them go wander around so they can take out the other adventurers. Like sneaky player killing without having to dirty your hands, who knows it could be a high level beast tamer.
iLikePotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 21:19   Link #283
DarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeia View Post
Yeah, maybe you should read something else. You don't get the first thing about Yun, do you? Or OSO, for that matter. Stop now before you keep getting disappointed.
That's a little extreme. I just think Yun shares too many similarities with Kouki from Arifureta. Big difference here is that the author has written the story in a way that's accepting of such idealism. Really, that's my only gripe with the story so who'd quit reading over that.
DarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 21:36   Link #284
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkD View Post
That's a little extreme. I just think Yun shares too many similarities with Kouki from Arifureta. Big difference here is that the author has written the story in a way that's accepting of such idealism. Really, that's my only gripe with the story so who'd quit reading over that.
This is a completely weird comparison. They're really nothing alike. Yun is just a normal person who got dragged into his siblings' and friend's hobby. He doesn't really understand power gaming or cornering the market or any of those kind of things so he doesn't do them, not to mention Magi and the other two's influence over him.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 21:47   Link #285
necrominion

Quote:
similiarities with kouki? heck no. how can you possibly said that. as kioras said, yun is a classic gamer, he play OSO for "fun" only. this kind gamer doesn't need a lot of money since their purpose on playing is to enjoy the game. you can said that yun is the opposite of Weed in LMS
necrominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 22:00   Link #286
DarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
This is a completely weird comparison. They're really nothing alike. Yun is just a normal person who got dragged into his siblings' and friend's hobby. He doesn't really understand power gaming or cornering the market or any of those kind of things so he doesn't do them, not to mention Magi and the other two's influence over him.
The reason I say there's a similarity is because they are both idealists. I believe that idealism by its very nature is wrong.

Yes Yun may not understand what he's/she's doing is idealism, but the story tries to push her ideals like they are the correct path to follow. That is what's bugging me.

Kouki is annoying not because he's clueless, but because he's an idealist that's realistically represented. Idealism goes hand in hand with being clueless.

The effects of idealism may not always be immediately apparent, but terms like "supply and demand", "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", "look out for number one first" are there for a reason.

If you ignore the laws of supply and demand, then when something is really needed (like fuel for cars) people won't have any reason to cut back on their consumption (a hummer vs a hybrid car in that example.)

If you ignore the needs of the many and try and save everyone, then nine times out of ten, everyone will end up dead.

If you ignore your own well being for the sake of others, then how are you gonna save anyone after you're dead.
Old 2014-09-14, 22:07   Link #287
Xacual

I feel like you look at series completely wrong or you overthink things way too often. This isn't real life or anything, it's just a game. Yun is playing the game the way he wants to play it. He's also as stated just a casual gamer, he's not like I or I guess you would be with overcharging and controlling a market that he has basically control of. Let's be honest, he doesn't even realize he has control over the market. I feel like you're judging him way too severely.

Also do we really have to start bringing fucking Kouki comparisons into every damn thread now?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2014-09-14, 22:15   Link #288
DarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I feel like you look at series completely wrong or you overthink things way too often. This isn't real life or anything, it's just a game. Yun is playing the game the way he wants to play it. He's also as stated just a casual gamer, he's not like I or I guess you would be with overcharging and controlling a market that he has basically control of. Let's be honest, he doesn't even realize he has control over the market. I feel like you're judging him way too severely.

Also do we really have to start bringing fucking Kouki comparisons into every damn thread now?
Alright, since you're points are valid I'll let it go. You guys made your own mess with kouki when you made half the arifureta thread a conversation about kouki though. Turned him into the Hitler of anime. Comparisons to that sort of character work wonders for making people understand complex arguments.

edit

So to change topics again. The wording on the young animals taming seems a little vague to me. Are they saying that

1) Anyone can tame a young animal into becoming their pet.
2) Only people with the taming sense can use those young animals to fight alongside them

If so that means the crafters have pets, but they won't fight for them. However when does the summoning stone appear? It seems to me that it should have already appeared or is it just a slow process? or does it only appear after the event is over?

Last edited by DarkD; 2014-09-14 at 22:41.
Old 2014-09-14, 22:40   Link #289
Kioras

Quote:
The reason I say there's a similarity is because they are both idealists. I believe that idealism by its very nature is wrong.
There is nothing wrong with idealism or idealists. Some situations require a dose of pragmatism, however OSO is not a world that deeply punishes failure.

Quote:
Yes Yun may not understand what he's/she's doing is idealism, but the story tries to push her ideals like they are the correct path to follow. That is what's bugging me.
All of the people he is with are in one way or another good people and idealists. All of them joined him when he stepped forward and backed him up, he was willing to be the only one sacrificed however.

Quote:
Kouki is annoying not because he's clueless, but because he's an idealist that's realistically represented. Idealism goes hand in hand with being clueless.
Neither here or there, that is for a different thread.

Quote:
The effects of idealism may not always be immediately apparent, but terms like "supply and demand", "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", "look out for number one first" are there for a reason.
Any story that tends to be dominated by those themes tends to include things such as "the end justifies the means." They are much darker stories and this is a bright and happy slice of life MMO story. May I suggest Antimagic Academy on Krytyk's site if you are looking for that.

Quote:
If you ignore the laws of supply and demand, then when something is really needed (like fuel for cars) people won't have any reason to cut back on their consumption (a hummer vs a hybrid car in that example.)
The laws of supply and demand are subverted badly in an MMO. There is an unlimited supply of raw materials and limited demand. As demand for items gets filled the demand goes down. Inflation as cash drops from mobs escalate as you increase in strength affects the gold market. Staying ahead of inflation is a real challenge and certain rare drop items tend to go up in price.

Quote:
If you ignore the needs of the many and try and save everyone, then nine times out of ten, everyone will end up dead.
That too often easy gets subverted in real life and in a game world and story like OSO such things can be ignored. This games reminds me of a game like Everquest where everyone will suffer multiple deaths to try and eventually kill a boss mob for the first time just so a few people could get some loot. A raid of 54 people, suffering several hundred combined deaths to defeat a boss for the first time, just so that ~4 people can get loot. That does not make much sense.

Quote:
If you ignore your own well being for the sake of others, then how are you gonna save anyone after you're dead.
This is not a story like that. A hero that is not willing to risk themselves for others and is out for number 1 is not really a hero and closer to the anti-hero archtype. Wrong type of story for OSO.
Old 2014-09-14, 22:46   Link #290
dragon1412

Quote:

not really, the mainpoint different between Yun and Kouki is responsibility and analytical ability, Yun from the start, didn't expect anyone to help her and didn't want to receive help either, as opposed to Kouki who believe anyone have listen to him is a given, in this point, Yun is more similar to Touma, who take resonsibility for his own action, analytical ability is as shown, Yun isn't a thought less person who spoused justice without a method, you could say that her justice has a mean, and she is still far from idealism.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 22:58   Link #291
DarkD

^ The two arguments above seem circular and interpreted different information to mean the opposite of my conclusions. Arguing with them would be pointless as it would turn into a 20 page debate that would probably just end in a flame war. So I'm just gonna say, I disagree and leave it at that...
Old 2014-09-14, 23:00   Link #292
gimme breack
I Hate Ecchi . . . NOT!!?

[Yun] char quite cheat isnt it?
Quote:
Main Class --> [Archer]
SubClass --> [Crafter]
--> [Enchanter]
--> [Apotecare]
--> [Cook]
--> [Beast Tamer]
--> [Adventurer]
--> [Alchemist]
Old 2014-09-14, 23:13   Link #293
Kioras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme breack View Post
[Yun] char quite cheat isnt it?
Not really. As a character in the game his characters specialty is spread all over way too much.

He should either choose sense's to maximize and enhance his archery and buffing along with movement senses.

Or he should go full in towards crafting, with enchanting, mixing and craftsmanship.

He does not have the play time to be a real cheat character. Spreading out with his limited play time stunts his growth as a character. If he had more play time it would be less noticeable and more of his abilities would break through the level 30 barrier to unlock second tier of skills along with on use abilities.

His younger sister is the real 'cheat character.' She is further along in her growth as a character despite having roughly the same play time. She is concentrated on her Paladin/Warrior build fully. She is just a knowledgable player who was in beta and knows what she wants.

Out there in the game there is likely another person who is using Hawk Eyes with enchanting to be a proper buffer, debuffer and crowd control. There is just as likely another person who is a specialized archer mixing in knock back abilities, movement and probably snares. Just like there is likely someone who heavily specialized in item enchanting and can make those rare items for there friends. Many of those people likely do so for there guild and are keeping the information secret.
Old 2014-09-14, 23:30   Link #294
heroeric

when do you think yun is finally going to get archery to level 30
heroeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 00:56   Link #295
Kreceir

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroeric View Post
when do you think yun is finally going to get archery to level 30
To be honest, its only gonna happen when Yun starts caring about it.
But I'm enjoying what Yun is doing so far, and can't wait to read more once he has pets with his taming skill.
Old 2014-09-15, 01:07   Link #296
DarkD

I'm looking forward to that as well. I'm positive he'll get that unicorn, the reason I'm sure is because the unicorn is there to make Yun more feminine. Basically Yun will start riding around on a Unicorn and regardless of weather Yun acts like a girl, Yun will still acquire reputation as one of the games mysterious beauties.

In fact I am starting to get the feeling that Yun will be the winner of this event. The Unicorn sounds like its probably the rarest young animal available. Coupled with her getting the weapons in the underwater thing, Yun's already off to a great start, and we're only 3 days into the event?
Old 2014-09-15, 01:34   Link #297
Rahuman
Masked Reader

Quote:
I'm looking forward to that as well. I'm positive he'll get that unicorn, the reason I'm sure is because the unicorn is there to make Yun more feminine. Basically Yun will start riding around on a Unicorn and regardless of weather Yun acts like a girl, Yun will still acquire reputation as one of the games mysterious beauties.

In fact I am starting to get the feeling that Yun will be the winner of this event. The Unicorn sounds like its probably the rarest young animal available. Coupled with her getting the weapons in the underwater thing, Yun's already off to a great start, and we're only 3 days into the event?
Plot twist, Myu is the one getting the unicorn.
Old 2014-09-15, 01:52   Link #298
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahuman View Post
Plot twist, Myu is the one getting the unicorn.
I hope not, I want Yun to get both the fire fox and the unicorn.

Old 2014-09-15, 04:09   Link #299
Blankdom

@ DarkD
Spoiler:

@Kioras
Spoiler:

Last edited by Blankdom; 2014-09-15 at 04:22. Reason: More info for point Kioras 3.
Blankdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 04:14   Link #300
DarkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankdom View Post
Spoiler:
I read that too in Krytyk's translation; however, the wording is really vague, and it sounds more like krytyk messed up that part of the translation. Something I learned from reading translations is that if the wording sounds vague, chances are the translator messed up that section. So are you going from Krytyk's translation or your own?

Tags
adventure, cutest trap among girls, gender bender, nekama, vrmmorpg, yun is justice