AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 10:04   Link #281
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

I just saw ep.1 and it was great, although the experience this time for me is quite different since I can at least understand what happens unlike playing the game. XD I can't wait to see Kenshin fight since he's my favorite character to use in the game.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 20:51   Link #282
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
What the hell?

That is really weird. I wonder, which version will fansubbers be using?

I personally prefer the TBS one, because Yukimura looks so much more badass.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 21:42   Link #283
SageGaiGar
You are Next

They've been using the other one so far. 'least on the streams.
Old 2009-04-13, 23:41   Link #284
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Sub is out, not that anyone needs to be told. But.. hey!

On another note, SageGaiGar signature image always manages to crack me up. Gaming (and fansubbing) is serious business even though younger generation seems to miss the point. Punks..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 01:14   Link #285
gundam rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
fangirl version & fanboy version?.....

the TBS one looks kinda more similar or close to the video game art-style designs.....
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 02:38   Link #286
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
On another note, SageGaiGar signature image always manages to crack me up. Gaming (and fansubbing) is serious business even though younger generation seems to miss the point. Punks..
Well, it is Serious Business when you play with other humans. Against the AI (just like in SB), what business? Just go in there and start tossing some mooks for starters!
Old 2009-04-14, 10:11   Link #287
Bordix

wow, and here I though this anime doesn't get any more ridiculous. More xtreme fight scenes and horses that defy gravity. heck, do these guys even need an army? It looks like to me each one of them can pretty much solo an entire platoon

So they finally clash with Nobunaga and his forces, Date looks so pissed there. Perhaps a history between the two? Anyways, This was way better than ep 1 IMO, the only thing it lacks is the more english speaking from Date

I'm so hooked, can't wait for the next episode
Old 2009-04-14, 10:15   Link #288
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Bordix: That's pretty much the point in the game itself. Unlike Samurai Warriors, Basara really turns the PC into a 1-man army with sufficient exp + eq.
Old 2009-04-14, 10:56   Link #289
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

A little question, is there a particular reason why Oda Nobunaga portrayed as a dark lord straigth from from a fantasy novel ?
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 11:19   Link #290
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
A little question, is there a particular reason why Oda Nobunaga portrayed as a dark lord straigth from from a fantasy novel ?
He's been portrayed as having otherworldly powers for quite a while, mostly due to his brutality and philosophy of war. Never mind that he wasn't actually that bad at that time.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 12:02   Link #291
Sinn
Pwnage

Watched the subs and I cracked up when imagawa had his doubles on, Masamune went "Shit!" Lmao it was funny for some reason.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:04   Link #292
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^The way Nobunaga is portrayed is very diffrent from area to area in Japan.

He was known for being ruthless and unforgiving to his enemies, and have done many deeds that would be considered atrocities today.
Sometimes, when he conquered enemies he despised the most, he gathered hundreds of their family members and burned them all to death.

But on the positive side, he was also known for being very tolerant to things diffrent.
Most Japanese warlords valued tradition and status quo, and looked down on foreigners and foreign culture as heretics, barbarians, and inhuman. But Nobunaga was not the case at all.

He adopted foreign trade much faster and wide-spread than anyone else in the era, and fortified his army with rifles.
He befriended foreign missionaries, and showed great tolerance to christianity and various religions in general.

Here's an interesting story.
He befriended a Catholic priest from Italy, who owned an African slave.
Nobunaga had never seen a human being with such a dark skin, and showed great interest in the man.
The priest gave Nobunaga his slave as a gift, and Nobunaga took him under his wings.
He trained him, and gave him a Japanese name Yasuke, and treated him as a human being.
Nobunaga gave Yasuke a title of samurai, and place to live. In return, Yasuke served Nobunaga royaly.

Even though Nobunaga is seen as a ruthless tyrant by many people, historically speaking, he's accomplished many positive deeds as far as advancement of the culture. The atrocities he commited were nothing unique to him, and was common amongst the warlords in Japan. I personally feel his cultural tolerance in an era of intolerance bears much more importance than the stereotypical villain image he's portrayed in. I think his frequently negative image is unfair, IMO.
Old 2009-04-14, 12:06   Link #293
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post

Mind if I take this one?
Old 2009-04-14, 12:21   Link #294
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Even though Nobunaga is seen as a ruthless tyrant by many people, historically speaking, he's accomplished many positive deeds as far as advancement of the culture. The atrocities he commited were nothing unique to him, and was common amongst the warlords in Japan. I personally feel his cultural tolerance in an era of intolerance bears much more importance than the stereotypical villain image he's portrayed in. I think his frequently negative image is unfair, IMO.
Sometimes people did try to portray him in different image, though. Like Sengoku Rance .
Admittedly, through all the games I had always believed Nobunaga as a demon lord for a long time when I was young. People only know about him for his negative acts. If it's not because of Sengoku Rance (duh, I just wanted to know about the other lords, so I did some reading about them, and came across one about what Nobunaga accomplished ), I wouldn't have know the good thing he did, except for adapting foreign knowledge.
Old 2009-04-14, 13:48   Link #295
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
^The way Nobunaga is portrayed is very diffrent from area to area in Japan.

He was known for being ruthless and unforgiving to his enemies, and have done many deeds that would be considered atrocities today.
Sometimes, when he conquered enemies he despised the most, he gathered hundreds of their family members and burned them all to death.

But on the positive side, he was also known for being very tolerant to things diffrent.
Most Japanese warlords valued tradition and status quo, and looked down on foreigners and foreign culture as heretics, barbarians, and inhuman. But Nobunaga was not the case at all.

He adopted foreign trade much faster and wide-spread than anyone else in the era, and fortified his army with rifles.
He befriended foreign missionaries, and showed great tolerance to christianity and various religions in general.

Here's an interesting story.
He befriended a Catholic priest from Italy, who owned an African slave.
Nobunaga had never seen a human being with such a dark skin, and showed great interest in the man.
The priest gave Nobunaga his slave as a gift, and Nobunaga took him under his wings.
He trained him, and gave him a Japanese name Yasuke, and treated him as a human being.
Nobunaga gave Yasuke a title of samurai, and place to live. In return, Yasuke served Nobunaga royaly.

Might be that cultural toleration and going against tradition that had people making him out as a 'demon' and looking less at his more positive traits and putting emphasis on the atrocities.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:07   Link #296
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
Thanks Although I'm not that Good gif maker

[ .
They All Freebies ^__^

Might I partake of this one?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 14:09   Link #297
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Mind if I take this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Might I partake of this one?
I don't mind..they are Freebies ^__^
Old 2009-04-14, 14:47   Link #298
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Thanks for the informations guys
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 16:38   Link #299
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

That is really interesting stuff. I minored in Japan Studies in college, but the majority of my history classes didn't go a whole lot into the warring states period. Mostly skimmed over everything until Edo period and the Bakufu anyways ^_^;;

At any rate, if you were to base your opinion on games and media, Nobunaga was not only an evil demon overlord, but was Nori Wakamoto as well XD (curious, don't have the time to check it right now, but how many times has he done the voice for Nobunaga I wonder?)
mageormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 18:29   Link #300
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
He is done so because many Japanese samurai commentators regarded him as upstart usurper that destroyed harmony of Japanese idealized samurai hierarchy. In their view, he is the motorcycle gang leader complete with punk hair and bad attitude. He is brilliant, unorthodox and uncharacteristically non conformist Japanese warlord hence his constant portrayal as dark lord.

Confucian influenced samurai commentators did not like upstarts hence they often written Nobunaga in rather bad light, only concede grudging respect when it warrants so such as his conduct in Battle of Nagashino 1575 CE and his putting down of Ikko-Ikki monk rebellion. Not to mention his ruthless campaign against Iga ninja clan which some historian compare it to Mongolian genocide against feared Assassin clan during the Crusades in terms of unintended benefit.

In other summary, he is failed version of Chin's Shih Huang Ti.

Back to Sengoku Basara, it is easy template for story writters to copy the popular casting of Nobunaga as badass baddie instead of more understanding examination of him. Just like how most Romance of 3 Kingdom media usage of Cao Cao as villain most of the time.

Tags
samurai