AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-07-14, 19:50   Link #3001
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

If anyone wants more information on Madoka's sales, the wiki has an in-depth sales analysis.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Sales_Analysis
Old 2011-07-15, 04:11   Link #3002
ChronoReverse

Chapter 65 of Genshiken has the characters cosplaying Madoka =D
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 05:14   Link #3003
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Old 2011-07-15, 10:34   Link #3004
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
I believe it is now safe to call this series a cultural influence...
Old 2011-07-15, 17:37   Link #3005
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
Ugh.... looking at this chart... you know I'm not really disappointed if Madoka won't outsell Bakemonogatari. I love Bakemonogatari too... What I find disappointing in that chart is how Nadeko Snake outsold other parts of Bakemonogatari... Nadeko Snake IMO is the most disappointing part of the series <_<
Fall back hater.

Nisio's actually gone in an interesting direction with Nadeko in the latest novel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
If anyone wants more information on Madoka's sales, the wiki has an in-depth sales analysis.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Sales_Analysis
A tad optimistic, for one I wouldn't be using year long shows like SEED, FMA etc as a basic on how sales can increase from the first week. Also Madoka V1 could fall off the charts from next week onwards.. though I'm sure it will return during release weeks of the last 3 volumes...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 06:30   Link #3006
Sixth
Hu Tao

Can someone tell me why/how Madoka become witch when she was capable enough to One-shot the Walpurgis?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 08:35   Link #3007
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Can someone tell me why/how Madoka become witch when she was capable enough to One-shot the Walpurgis?
She used all her magic in that shot.
So her gem was corrupt right away...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 10:29   Link #3008
sa547
*Author

Reading something... Didin't know it happened, but never thought they'll throw in Madoka for their lulz -- Local script kiddies went on a site hacking binge, leaving Madoka pictures and vids as their "signature":
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/223432/t...ww.dilg.gov.ph
http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/06...te-hacked.html
Old 2011-07-18, 19:12   Link #3009
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
She used all her magic in that shot.
So her gem was corrupt right away...
I see....Didn't think of that...

Thanks for your information.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 15:38   Link #3010
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Why is the fandom fandom down on Sayaka?

Why is the fandom so down on Sayaka? How did she warrant that much hate from fans?
Old 2011-07-19, 18:36   Link #3011
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Why is the fandom so down on Sayaka? How did she warrant that much hate from fans?
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-07-19, 21:41   Link #3012
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I defended Sayaka a lot on these boards awhile back.

I think it basically comes down to two things:

1. Sayaka was more at odds with Homura than any other Puella Magi. Homura was probably the most popular of the Madoka Magica girls, so this hurts Sayaka a bit with some fans I think.

2. Gen used Sayaka to carry the middle portions of the anime, and to clearly demonstrate just how messed up the Puella Magi system was. In other words, Sayaka was "the designated fall guy". Its perhaps impossible for characters to come out unscathed when given such a role...

One reason why I'd like to see a slice-of-life Madoka Magica spinoff is because I think that it could do wonders for improving Sayaka's character in the eyes of many fans. She would no longer have to be the designated fall guy, or necessarily at odds with Homura a lot.
Old 2011-07-19, 22:28   Link #3013
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Sayaka's downfall basically brought Kyoko's popularity upwards from how I see it. With what happened during her sacrifice in order to save Sayaka. So like Triple_R said about Sayaka being the "designated fall guy." She brought one person's popularity up big time while at the same time giving the fans a clear view on how screwed up being a magical girl was. Kinda sad that her popularity had to suffer so much in regards to Homura fans and her downfall, but the ending scene with her and Madoka was nice.
Old 2011-07-19, 22:38   Link #3014
00Coyote

Quote:
I was sympathetic about Sayaka from her "we're too happy for a wish" speech on,
and her descent into despair was heartbreaking to watch. At the same time,
however, her self-destructive stubbornness and martyr complex poisoned my
view of her. On each successive re-watching the poison became stronger and
stronger, resulting in my opinion of her to become less and less.

The final straw was of course episode 10. How can you be such a bitch to a
timid, moe explosive toting Homura who is only trying to warn you?

Episodes 1-3: Sayaka is a energetic fun character, with possibly some depth.
Episode 4-9: Oh Sayaka, why must you hurt yourself so much.
Episode 10: ... is that your true personality Sayaka?
Rewatch of Episodes 1-10: Sayaka was such a selfish character.

Even now, after n+1 re-watchings I don't hate her character, but I find
it difficult to muster the original sympathy I had for her.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 23:51   Link #3015
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
How can you be such a bitch to a timid, moe explosive toting Homura who is only trying to warn you?
It's called "shooting the messenger." Like Mami, Sayaka did not want to hear that the wish she pinned her hopes on has in fact damned her to a cursed fate.
Remember when episode 2 rolled around and everyone was gleefully pointing out how Grief Seeds looked like corrupted Soul Gems? Remember how they expected witches to be outed as fallen magical girls?
At the time, I was thinking, "That can't be true, right? It'd be so awful for the girls if that was true." As the series continued, and we found out that was exactly the case, all I could think of was, "Damn, how are they going to get out of this one?"
And I'm just a detached viewer. Imagine being Mami, do you even want to think about that after getting your first Grief Seed? Sayaka was the same way.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 09:03   Link #3016
rantuyetmai
↓ Crazy in love with her

Quote:
Hmm, a double posted question. I gave an answer in Sayaka's character thread. 00Coyote pretty much described my experience with Sayaka:

Quote:
Her descent into despair was heartbreaking to watch. At the same time,
however, her self-destructive stubbornness and martyr complex poisoned my
view of her. On each successive re-watching the poison became stronger and
stronger, resulting in my opinion of her to become less and less.

The final straw was of course episode 10. How can you be such a bitch to a
timid, moe explosive toting Homura who is only trying to warn you?

Episodes 1-3: Sayaka is a energetic fun character, with possibly some depth.
Episode 4-9: Oh Sayaka, why must you hurt yourself so much.
Episode 10: ... is that your true personality Sayaka?
Rewatch of Episodes 1-10: Sayaka was such a selfish character.

I find it difficult to muster the original sympathy I had for her.
I still can't get over how hurt it was to watch Sayaka's fall in ep 8, and still can't believe ep 10 made me from "Oww, she's stupid but pitiful, poor girl" to "WTF? Damn b**ch".

Down right hate it when a show makes me hate a character, the enjoyment for fanart just went down hill.
rantuyetmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 09:09   Link #3017
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It's called "shooting the messenger." Like Mami, Sayaka did not want to hear that the wish she pinned her hopes on has in fact damned her to a cursed fate.
Mami freaking out, Sayaka 'shooting the messenger' are all believable reactions in such a situation, but at the same time they reveal things about the character that were only hinted at earlier. Mami's case was more of a shock to the viewer, while Sayaka's just added evidence to the pile.

Let me expand a bit.

In ep 4-9 Sayaka's main internal struggle was that her un-voiced wish (Make Kamijou love her) was not fulfilled, this brought to the surface a host of other problems. Some of them, the stresses and struggles of being a magic girl, were external and very real. Most of her other problems were self-made, but they stem from the fact that her intended wish required effort.

Sayaka went into the wish expecting everything to be peachy, that Kamijou would love and appreciate her (without her telling him how he was healed), that she would be as skilled and powerful as Mami (without having to work at getting skilled), that everyone would be all happy and nice and fight together, and finally that her best friend Madoka would be a magic girl with her. Her wish was fulfilled, but not her expectations. The conflicts of episodes 4-9 were a result of this. What makes it even more sad is that Mami warned her directly about all of this from the very first episode.

In episode 10 while we assume that Kamijou is still distant to her, she is surrounded, encouraged and supported by Mami and Madoka. The isolation, loneliness and fatalistic attitude of 4-9 shouldn't have been present. Yet they were still there as revealed by her berating of Homura and her descent into despair. If you still turn into a witch with the ever hopeful, joyful and encouraging magical girl Madoka fighting by your side, something is really wrong with you.

Ahh, um. Back to the original questing about why Sayaka is unloved, TL;DR version.

Triple_R said it best. She was the designated fall girl, set up from the start to be a tragic hero.
Old 2011-07-20, 09:23   Link #3018
rantuyetmai
↓ Crazy in love with her

Quote:
Ahh, um. Back to the original questing about why Sayaka is unloved, TL;DR version.

Triple_R said it best. She was the designated fall girl, set up from the start to be a tragic hero.
Given your extremely good explanation in this post, I don't understand how did this conclusion come around. Lots of tragic heroes and fallen angel - as well as antagonists - are loved by the audience, so that generalization doesn't make sense.
rantuyetmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 10:46   Link #3019
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantuyetmai View Post
Given your extremely good explanation in this post, I don't understand how did this conclusion come around. Lots of tragic heroes and fallen angel - as well as antagonists - are loved by the audience, so that generalization doesn't make sense.
Well generalizations, and stereotypes usually toss out all the subtle and interesting bits, but that's besides the point.

Judging by fan art and my informal survey of percentages (how does it look, without counting) Mami, Madoka x Homura seems to dominate. Sayaka x Kyouko seems very popular too. There a few Sayaka only pictures, but they are vastly outnumbered by Mami, Madoka and Homura

I think its a stretch to say Sayaka is reviled and hated, but for the reasons I've listed, and the appeal of the other characters, she lacks the popularity she had during the middle of the broadcasts.
Old 2011-07-20, 19:18   Link #3020
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
You know, I have to be frank...

It's amazing to me how much hatred Sayaka gets for one little scene in Episode 10 that lasts maybe a minute, if that.

And the people who hate on her for that scene tend to say that they hate Sayaka for being "too judgmental".

Well, isn't it awfully judgmental to hate a character for one bad scene where they come off as worse than usual? It is, yes, Sayaka at her worst. In other words, she's usually better than that. So to judge a character on the basis of their worst scene seems a bit overly harsh to me.

Kyouko and Homura have scenes where they're not exactly angels, either. Heck, even Mami has the scene where she totally snaps, and even Madoka once left an emotionally broken Homura sobbing on the ground without a single comforting word.

None of these girls are downright perfect (thankfully). Yet it seems like only Sayaka gets judged by her worst scenes...

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen