AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-02-24, 23:26   Link #3001
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Unfortunately because Baka-Tsuki took down their novel translations, all I can do about novel 10 now is cry.
Exactly :'(
Maybe someone will translate it? Doubtful, though.
I would buy it, but...It'd be in Japanese...
But I don't care.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 01:08   Link #3002
User89254
Disabled By Request

Rejoice, all.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...-finally-here/
User89254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 05:15   Link #3003
Solachinx
is a myth

We found out about this yesterday, but thank you anyway. I'm just wondering who's going to translate it since B-T is out of the count....
Old 2010-02-25, 09:22   Link #3004
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Sankakucomplex's loathing for Haruhi is truly the sight to behold. Every signal line in their write-up there is just dripping with contempt for the Haruhi franchise and its fans.

I wonder why Haruhi fans even check out the place (except for anything but an image search, perhaps).
Old 2010-02-25, 09:39   Link #3005
User89254
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sankakucomplex's loathing for Haruhi is truly the sight to behold. Every signal line in their write-up there is just dripping with contempt for the Haruhi franchise and its fans.

I wonder why Haruhi fans even check out the place (except for anything but an image search, perhaps).
Because, me being an American, they're the fastest place for me to go to get my news. I usually ignore the angry comments.

I learned about the Disappearance movie and its good reviews as well as Tanigawa "starting" the tenth novel and the re-release of the first nine there.
User89254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 10:20   Link #3006
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsterSelene View Post
Because, me being an American, they're the fastest place for me to go to get my news. I usually ignore the angry comments.
Actually, this particular news not only were here, on this thread, for a while before the sankaku projec, but also at Anime News Network a bit before.

Since, posts in foruns are not really the best source, I have been searching in anothers just to be sure. I noticed that ANN got it a bit before.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 12:33   Link #3007
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Pr0n.

BTW, AsterSelene, NSFW warning plz.
Old 2010-02-25, 17:07   Link #3008
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
We forget.

It's also not on agreement with otaku culture (many flames including the one on Haruhi) [not all parts though]
Old 2010-02-25, 20:36   Link #3009
Phocus
◕ ◡ ◕

I'm pretty sure that despite BT shutting down its Haruhi translations, there will still be someone (or somebodies) out there that's going to translate Volume 10.

The internet is full of hidden alleys and corners, my friends.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:21   Link #3010
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post

Spoiler:
Did they choose a big enough font size? It's like the Death of the Universe speaking.

Last edited by baltakatei; 2010-02-25 at 22:35.
baltakatei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 23:50   Link #3011
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Did they choose a big enough font size? It's like the Death of the Universe speaking.
In my opinion, they should made it bigger, to further the "IT'S FUCKING BACK AT MUTHERFUCKING LAST" message, but that's only what I think.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 00:21   Link #3012
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I would have thought a "We're back, bitches!" would've been more appropriate, but meh.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 06:40   Link #3013
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
But I tought plastic last, like, forever? Well, since we have no idea what they did use I guess it could be. But, they would have also never had any contact with any other civilization (so there is no records), while had being in Japan at some point. But I guess they could be just that old (like, before ancient China and Egipt).

Actually, if they are that old things would be simpler. There are no other civilization to remember about them and it would be old enough to the traces disappear.
Well not quite "forever", but even if ground into powder and dispersed, it will stay chemically stable for like a million years. Any civilization capable of producing a titanium-cesium alloy would need at least late nineteenth-century technology (and if it contains computer circuits or some other functional high-tech components, the tech would exceed our own). To build that kind of tech base, they're going to leave behind millions of tons of nonbiodegradable and clearly unnatural waste material (assuming that said civilization is equivalent to at least a good-sized city-state). The lack of such material is fairly good evidence that no large industrial society has existed before our own within the time since humanity is believed to have arisen.

As for the Tsuruya artifact, as long as no living member of the Tsuruya household actually recalls having seen the treasure map prior to four years ago (the Haruhi singularity), then the artifact may be a hoax. That is to say, the artifact and its attendant letter may have been planted AFTER the Haruhi singularity, and given the impression of being 300 years old by using time travel to let it age 300 years without anyone actually having been able to go back to before the Haruhi singularity (e.g. plant it in spot A, go 300 years in the future, dig it up, bring it back and plant it in spot B, then plant a fake map to spot B). It would still be an important MacGuffin within the story, but it would not require that time travelers ever find a way to go back in time past the time quake.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 08:45   Link #3014
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Well not quite "forever", but even if ground into powder and dispersed, it will stay chemically stable for like a million years. Any civilization capable of producing a titanium-cesium alloy would need at least late nineteenth-century technology (and if it contains computer circuits or some other functional high-tech components, the tech would exceed our own). To build that kind of tech base, they're going to leave behind millions of tons of nonbiodegradable and clearly unnatural waste material (assuming that said civilization is equivalent to at least a good-sized city-state). The lack of such material is fairly good evidence that no large industrial society has existed before our own within the time since humanity is believed to have arisen.
Unless said civilization had advanced far enough beyond our own to be able to break down said "nonbiodegradable and clearly unnatural waste material" into its constituent and much more innocuous components. And frankly, considering the current advancements in nanotech, that may not be all that "far enough beyond". Might also explain why the ancient civilization is no longer around...

Quote:
As for the Tsuruya artifact, as long as no living member of the Tsuruya household actually recalls having seen the treasure map prior to four years ago (the Haruhi singularity), then the artifact may be a hoax. That is to say, the artifact and its attendant letter may have been planted AFTER the Haruhi singularity, and given the impression of being 300 years old by using time travel to let it age 300 years without anyone actually having been able to go back to before the Haruhi singularity (e.g. plant it in spot A, go 300 years in the future, dig it up, bring it back and plant it in spot B, then plant a fake map to spot B). It would still be an important MacGuffin within the story, but it would not require that time travelers ever find a way to go back in time past the time quake.
That's fairly devious. Planted by Fujiwara's time travelers as a "pre-Event proof of time travel" to cast doubt on Mikuru's story, possibly?
Old 2010-02-27, 17:03   Link #3015
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
I know it is not 'forever', but it is close enough for our purpose. Anyway, as quigonkenny said, they could be just using another kind of material. We have no idea of how they would be and we have no reason to think they had a thecnology remotelly similar to ours.

Quote:
Ah, that actually make much more sense. Yeah, I can see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That's fairly devious. Planted by Fujiwara's time travelers as a "pre-Event proof of time travel" to cast doubt on Mikuru's story, possibly?
Don't know, I believe it would be to make Haruhi aware about her powers (or, at last, that something exist). In any case, if someone really buried there recently, it was probably meant to be found by Haruhi (maybe it was buried soon after Tsuruya shown Haruhi the map).

Btw, what is the spoiler policy on this thread? I would assume it is ok posting about future stuff here, since it is on the novels, but, by the other side, there is no warning and something may be spoiler for the 'manga', even if it is not for the 'novel'. The first post don't help in that matter, it just say it is to 'discuss'

If spoilers are not allowed here, could some mod move the last 3 posts to another thread? The spoilers are pretty minor, but they are still there. And I also have a theory that I am afraid to post here because it is soiler-havy.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 12:06   Link #3016
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Btw, what is the spoiler policy on this thread? I would assume it is ok posting about future stuff here, since it is on the novels, but, by the other side, there is no warning and something may be spoiler for the 'manga', even if it is not for the 'novel'. The first post don't help in that matter, it just say it is to 'discuss'

If spoilers are not allowed here, could some mod move the last 3 posts to another thread? The spoilers are pretty minor, but they are still there. And I also have a theory that I am afraid to post here because it is soiler-havy.
Officially it might be different, but, in practice this is one of the spoiler-allowed threads, since it covers the novels, which are all released. Certainly anything is allowed if it's at least under spoiler tags (and novel-related). Every once in a while I'll personally drop Volume 9 info under spoiler tags, and the odd Disappearance tidbit due to the movie having been just released, but I think anything goes. Or at least it certainly has up to this point.
Old 2010-02-28, 13:06   Link #3017
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

The manga virtually follows the novels, so I don't think there can be manga spoilers.
Old 2010-02-28, 15:00   Link #3018
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
There are manga-original stories, you know.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 18:04   Link #3019
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

I forgot about those
Old 2010-03-01, 10:31   Link #3020
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
There are manga-original stories, you know.
Which stories are you talking about? I haven't been keeping up with the manga, gave it up long ago because, well, it's pretty atrocious

Unless, of course, you're talking about Haruhi-chan and Nagato Yuki-chan. Now that's original
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga