AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-04, 09:49   Link #30441
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In an interview I heard on the BBC last night, Castro was in a temporary holding area where people are processed before being sent on to their ultimate prison destinations. He was being kept in isolation because of the possibility that he would be attacked by other inmates. It sounds like there was insufficient surveillance by the Ohio prison wardens, unless they killed him themselves.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:49   Link #30442
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If their crimes are so bad that they get such a harsh sentence, why should they be given a choice as to whether to serve it or not?
It depends on what you want out of justice.

If you're looking for an especially bureaucratic form of vengeance, then nothing's off the table and you'll no doubt find yourself condoning all kind of exotic tortures as punishment. We all do love ourselves good revenge stories, and there really are monsters out there, deserving of the worst we can dish out.

If you're pragmatic and just want some people to never again mingle with the rest of society... well, then, what's your objection to putting them down like you would a maddened animal? Permanently, to be sure, but without needless cruelty. Aside from the fear of judicial mistakes, of course.

Quote:
Also, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for life.
Because of all the automatic appeals. Which begs its own lot of questions.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:51   Link #30443
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If their crimes are so bad that they get such a harsh sentence, why should they be given a choice as to whether to serve it or not?
Well, it's not like a death sentence is a desirable sentence itself.

Quote:
Also, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for life.
That's strictly because of the cost of the extensive appeal process when someone is given a capital punishment sentence. But if a convict was given the option of capital punishment, and the convict took it, then there would be nothing to appeal.

A lone execution (without the lengthy appeal process) vs. 20 years of feeding someone. It's rather obvious which of these is more costly.

I've heard of enough cases of prison suicides (or people committing suicide just before they'd have to go to prison) that it's clear that some people really would rather die than spend decades in jail. Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
Old 2013-09-04, 10:32   Link #30444
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In an interview I heard on the BBC last night, Castro was in a temporary holding area where people are processed before being sent on to their ultimate prison destinations. He was being kept in isolation because of the possibility that he would be attacked by other inmates. It sounds like there was insufficient surveillance by the Ohio prison wardens, unless they killed him themselves.
Strictly speaking on terms of "vengeance" seeking emotions, I'd rather he lived at least... oh I dunno, ELEVEN YEARS, and suffered all through out those years under abusive hands.
Old 2013-09-04, 10:33   Link #30445
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is Malaysia university entry a level playing field?
Old 2013-09-04, 11:20   Link #30446
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, it's not like a death sentence is a desirable sentence itself.

That's strictly because of the cost of the extensive appeal process when someone is given a capital punishment sentence. But if a convict was given the option of capital punishment, and the convict took it, then there would be nothing to appeal.

A lone execution (without the lengthy appeal process) vs. 20 years of feeding someone. It's rather obvious which of these is more costly.

I've heard of enough cases of prison suicides (or people committing suicide just before they'd have to go to prison) that it's clear that some people really would rather die than spend decades in jail. Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
I'm not against the idea but I wonder if the reason they don't consider this is because it could have implications in the "right to die" cases such as euthanasia.
Old 2013-09-04, 11:28   Link #30447
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not against the idea but I wonder if the reason they don't consider this is because it could have implications in the "right to die" cases such as euthanasia.
Yeah, that's probably a factor. Hard to justify letting someone like Ariel Castro have this legal option when an elderly person in pain with a clean record isn't also given that same legal option.

While I like my idea, I doubt it'll ever come to pass. America is too against euthanasia, and most of the rest of the world (including my own country) is too against the death penalty.
Old 2013-09-04, 11:32   Link #30448
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That might be a possibility. If such a thing was given to prisoners, Right to die advocates might call out on the double standard that why is it that prisoners can choose to die while law abiding citizens cannot.
Old 2013-09-04, 16:12   Link #30449
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Manning seeks presidential pardon in WikiLeaks case
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9830XS20130904

Exclusive: Brazil's Rousseff wants U.S. apology for NSA spying
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98314N20130904
Old 2013-09-04, 16:25   Link #30450
maplehurry

Quote:
Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
The state can always just enslave them, until people crying about them stealing jobs
Old 2013-09-04, 17:37   Link #30451
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
While I like my idea, I doubt it'll ever come to pass. America is too against euthanasia, and most of the rest of the world (including my own country) is too against the death penalty.
More importantly, your idea has too many legal problems to even be considered.
Old 2013-09-04, 18:13   Link #30452
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
More importantly, your idea has too many legal problems to even be considered.
Could you elaborate please?
Old 2013-09-05, 02:55   Link #30453
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-o...lt-7000020270/

My fellow Australians!
I come bearing frightening news. The Opposition Leader has hide the desire to implement an internet filter with barely more than 24 hours left before the polls! He hid them in his budget costings, at page 7... Don't let him get away with it! I opposed Labor's internet filter, and we won on that front. But not it is time to fight the other side! Please, decide carefully before you vote this weekend; do you want your internet censored?
Old 2013-09-05, 03:25   Link #30454
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Exclusive: Technical snafus confuse charges for Obamacare plans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98405E20130905
Old 2013-09-05, 03:31   Link #30455
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-o...lt-7000020270/

My fellow Australians!
I come bearing frightening news. The Opposition Leader has hide the desire to implement an internet filter with barely more than 24 hours left before the polls! He hid them in his budget costings, at page 7... Don't let him get away with it! I opposed Labor's internet filter, and we won on that front. But not it is time to fight the other side! Please, decide carefully before you vote this weekend; do you want your internet censored?
Wow the guy's still at it? Guy's Tony Abbott right? Any normal sensible people won't go for Coalition. I don't know about those affiliated with religions. They probably are the ones to worry about.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:37   Link #30456
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Wow the guy's still at it? Guy's Tony Abbott right? Any normal sensible people won't go for Coalition. I don't know about those affiliated with religions. They probably are the ones to worry about.
See, the filter was the current gvernment's idea to court religious votes. Australian backlash forced it to die. But now Opposition leader Abbott sneaked the policy in under the radar two days before the polls open and didn't announce it to anyone. He KNOWS we don't want it. That is why he decided to hide the policy to the last possible second. What kind of leader is that? I can't EVER trust a person like that to not do horrible things when no one is looking!

Labor wanted to court religious voters; but Abbott IS religious. He does this because he wants to do this for his god. He was considering being a priest before choosing politics. The guy needs to GO DOWN. I don't care how far ahead he is in the polls. Fight against the Coalition.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:42   Link #30457
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

AMG!

Well, supposedly it's "Optional" filtering, but even so I don't want my internets filtered! What would I do when I want to look up midget donkey riding pr0nz. Oh the horror!

Vaguely serious, once they get an optional filter in it's all down hill till they make it mandatory. (Never mind what the coalition wants to do to the NBN!)

Slightly even more serious, Coalition will probably win Labour has sadly pissfarted around the last few years reenacting Macbeth and stabbing each other in the back. Friend was saying we'll probably have a double dissolution election again right after this election.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:52   Link #30458
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
AMG!

Well, supposedly it's "Optional" filtering, but even so I don't want my internets filtered! What would I do when I want to look up midget donkey riding pr0nz. Oh the horror!

Vaguely serious, once they get an optional filter in it's all down hill till they make it mandatory. (Never mind what the coalition wants to do to the NBN!)

Slightly even more serious, Coalition will probably win Labour has sadly pissfarted around the last few years reenacting Macbeth and stabbing each other in the back. Friend was saying we'll probably have a double dissolution election again right after this election.
I am mad 50/50. 50% because of the filter, and 50% because Abbott tried to hide it so close to the election. This tells me that this is how he plans to rule; to say one thing and do another. He isn't the PM yet, and he is already deceiving people!
Old 2013-09-05, 04:30   Link #30459
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Both parties suck tbh. Ones lead by a religious nutjob, and the other is too busy rehearsing shakespeare.
Old 2013-09-05, 04:32   Link #30460
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Both parties suck tbh. Ones lead by a religious nutjob, and the other is too busy rehearsing shakespeare.
I find Shakespeare works just fine. But don't even compare that to an internet filter.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international