Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-11, 12:44   Link #3041
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
So you mean the people in the Korpulu sector are something like what Australians are to the Brits?
Sorta, but not really. England just thought of the people they sent to Australia as petty criminals who needed to be punished (And this wasn't even the whole Australian population). The attitude the UPL had towards the people they sent off was that they were degenerates who had to be eradicated.

A more apt comparison would be a Jewish state founded by Holocaust survivors and a modern day Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Australia was meant to be kept as a colony with government support. The Terrans were just left out in the middle of nowhere with no backup.
I don't think they were meant to originally be completley unsupported. It's just the navigation systems malfunctioned, keeping the ships in warp for nearly three decades and going much further than earth than was initially planned.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 12:53   Link #3042
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
The original intention was for the guy behind the whole thing to acquire resources in the outer edges and gain more power back on Earth.

Because of the huge risk of such a venture, he took prisoners who would be executed since no one would care about them.

But since the ships went off course, they obviously got lost or got too far off for Earth to do anything or even expect to support it.

Quote:
If you've read the Terran backstory in the old Starcraft manual you wouldn't have that impression. The UED (When they called themselves the United Powers League) killed over 400 million people back on earth to get rid of their opponents and individuals they deemed *impure*. They bassically put the Nazi's to shame in how many people they exterminated. In fact, the human inhabitants of the Koprulu sector are all descended from people who were originally slated to be exterminated back on earth, who ended up getting signed up as colonists because the UPL wanted to see how viable independent space colonies ere.

So you really can understand how Raynor despite hating Mengsk would be even less happy with the UED taking over the sector. He's certainly not going to wait around to see whether or not the UED decides that all the local humans should be lined up against a wall for not being *pure* enough. If the Nazi's had won WW2 and taken over the world, and sent a bunch of Jewish people out into space as part of an experiment, when the Jewish colony got rediscovered centuries later they certainly wouldn't be feeling optimistic about the encounter.
Desperate circumstances demands desperate measures. The population was going out of control and resources were being sapped up.

According to the history, UPL banned all major religions and destroyed racism by removing cultural differences. When they started project purification, they targeted hackers, synthetics, the cybernetically enhanced, tech-pirates, and criminals of every kind. Pretty much what New York did to tackle crime, arrest everyone for even the smallest charges.

I mean the only "innocents" I guess would be synthetics and cybernetically enhanced, the rest were criminals. Not homosexuals or blondes, etc.

Besides, in the end it was the right decision, one of those descendants of the criminals would turn out to be the one hope for the galaxy that'll save 3 races

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2010-08-11 at 13:08.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 13:29   Link #3043
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Desperate circumstances demands desperate measures. The population was going out of control and resources were being sapped up.
I don't think killing 400 million people really alleviated any population pressures in any meaningful way. Not with a population of 23 billion. And the motivation seemed to be more ideological than anything else.
Quote:
I mean the only "innocents" I guess would be synthetics and cybernetically enhanced, the rest were criminals. Not homosexuals or blondes, etc.
So as long as some of the people you round up for extermination are criminals that makes it ok? Though I must question why wanting to kill someone because you think they have to many cybernetic implants is any better than wanting to kill them for being a homosexual, blond or Jewish.

Quote:
Besides, in the end it was the right decision, one of those descendants of the criminals would turn out to be the one hope for the galaxy that'll save 3 races
That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 13:42   Link #3044
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
So what should we do? Mass produce SC2 on torrents?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 13:53   Link #3045
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
It doesn't matter, as long as WoW is still alive, then Blizzard could rake in money more than SC2 sales :P

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 14:03   Link #3046
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
It doesn't matter, as long as WoW is still alive, then Blizzard could rake in money more than SC2 sales :P
I am more worried about the Activision bosses. If anyone is going to use gaming money for evil, they are it.
Old 2010-08-11, 15:34   Link #3047
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I don't think killing 400 million people really alleviated any population pressures in any meaningful way. Not with a population of 23 billion. And the motivation seemed to be more ideological than anything else.
For the record, I was just presenting the facts.

It was ideological of course, even though they banned religion and racism they promoted something like "pro-humanity" so stuff like cybernetics was frowned upon.

Quote:
So as long as some of the people you round up for extermination are criminals that makes it ok? Though I must question why wanting to kill someone because you think they have to many cybernetic implants is any better than wanting to kill them for being a homosexual, blond or Jewish.
Actually I was talking about how the cybernetics were probably the "innocent" of the bunch compared to the other true criminals in the pool.

I mean the only "innocents" I guess would be synthetics and cybernetically enhanced, the rest were criminals. Not homosexuals or blondes, etc

Though I wonder what they meant by synthetics...like androids?

Quote:
That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it.
It darn is, if they didn't then we'd wouldn't have a game nor some "saviour" of the universe to look at.

My point being, when things get desperate extreme measures are called upon. That's how I see it. It's how all governments have acted in history. Granted there were crazy ones that were just egomaniacs but otherwise did it to save the rest.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 15:37   Link #3048
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
that's not going help at all, they already made enough money to buy Iceland and Greenland... Alaya is right, as long as WOW is around, they will soon take over everything... there is already Blizzard games theme drinks, meals, etc out in the market. Soon they will go into housing and build warcraft theme houses
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 15:44   Link #3049
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
that's not going help at all, they already made enough money to buy Iceland and Greenland... Alaya is right, as long as WOW is around, they will soon take over everything... there is already Blizzard games theme drinks, meals, etc out in the market. Soon they will go into housing and build warcraft theme houses
Oh god, I do play WoW and SC2 but to build houses on a warcraft theme is just going to far... Blizzard really is making so much money since I've heard that somewhat 4m copies of SC2 was bought out on the first day of release.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:05   Link #3050
Lostdreams

I just went over to a friend's last night... Played for like 12 hours straight...

After like 7 hours, your brain starts to shut off due to fatigue...

Pro gamers got it rough...

Felt good playing on no lag though.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:08   Link #3051
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
You gotta rebuff the Paladins!
Quote:
Most companies turn out buying any other company...hell, what does an electronic security company need military equipment for? As long as they can, they'll just buy it all and profit from the sales.
About the VAing: I just love Tychus' voice, and Jim sounds like a man on the brink of insanity during the last few hyperion visits...which is awesome Matt is the only normal one out there.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:11   Link #3052
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
You gotta rebuff the Paladins!
Paladins are Over-Powered enough!
Old 2010-08-11, 16:15   Link #3053
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
About the VAing: I just love Tychus' voice, and Jim sounds like a man on the brink of insanity during the last few hyperion visits...which is awesome Matt is the only normal one out there.
I agree but that's only applicable to the Terran characters (and Kerrigan, although the first game's voice seems better). The Protoss for the most part, let me down. Only one who seemed to exclude themselves from this was the Tal'darim Executor. Zeratul's voice makes it seem like he found a whole cache of Stim Packs.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:18   Link #3054
Qikz

I loved the Protoss voices in Utter Darkness, especially Altanis' voice.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:31   Link #3055
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Protoss: Okay, Zeratul wasn't much, but I think Artanis and Selendis did a very good job conveying their Protoss mannerisms. Fav line: (Artanis, right before he dies) - Kerrigan...how could we have known!?
Unfortunately the Zerg don't have...many....representatives, I hope the next expansion will offer a few. Oh, anyone know its release date?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 16:42   Link #3056
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I thought Zeratul was ok. The whole crystal thing he was probably trying to be cool with talking all mystic like . Thought they handled his Kerrigan confrontation well. Really need to replay the original though since I really forgot about a good amount of the Protoss representatives that showed up.
Old 2010-08-11, 17:09   Link #3057
Who

Having seen the cinematics on Youtube again, I can say that Zeratul's performance was pretty good. But Zeratul in the first one was much better, especially when he gave Aldaris the verbal smackdown prior to attacking the Overmind, called Kerrigan a concubine of the Zerg and whatnot. It's probably because in his missions, they were "dumbing" it down for newcomers, to give them a sense of direction of how to play the Protoss after playing 10+ missions as Terran.
Otherwise, it's still "alright". Wasn't much of a fan of Artanis' voice in the first one, either, although I like his character.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 17:43   Link #3058
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Mandarin Dub of Medic >>>>> English Dub in term of cuteness.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 17:53   Link #3059
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Mandarin Dub of Medic >>>>> English Dub in term of cuteness.
thats a dub??????? To much cuteness involved in the voice.
Old 2010-08-11, 18:15   Link #3060
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
thats a dub??????? To much cuteness involved in the voice.
Blizzard had a localised version of SC2 released in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Mainland China to tapped into the market. Everything in that version is completely in Chinese, from the Background Signages to the Unit Speeches.

But the Medic dub is just an exception. Taiwanese players still prefer the original English dub above their Mandarin Dun copies.

And don't bother asking me for a Japanese Dub, because it doesn't exist.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows