Closed Thread

Old 2013-10-16, 15:14   Link #31201
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Those "Constitutionalists" you speak of realize that there's been many amendments to it, right? And that the Supreme Court ruled it constitutional?
They only defend the constitution when it's convenient so they can use it for a buzzword. But that's only typical for the type that holds the entire country hostage also in the name of it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-10-16, 17:42   Link #31202
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The only seats in jeopardy are the ones in swing areas. Most of those actually responsible are not in swing areas, because those areas do not vote in crazies.
But at least if the Democrats won a few more swing states they could unseat the Republicans from House leadership. A big reason this farce was allowed to continue was because Boehner was able to cite imaginary house rules to prevent any voting from taking place. If that hadn't been the case, a handful of moderate Republicans could have been dealt with to come onboard with the Democrats and bring everything to an end...but Boehner couldn't let that happen. Because then the tea party faction would have his balls. As long as the Tea Party has any noticeable influence on the House leadership, I simply don't think it's safe for the country to continue to allow the GOP to maintain house leadership. The Tea Party simply lacks the moral principles to WANT to do what is good for the country, or the Machiavellian intelligence to recognize what is expedient.

I've never thought of myself as an overtly Democrat voter, cause I certainly don't agree with the Democrats on allot of matters. But I swear to god. I don't think I can in good conscious or good sense vote for a GOP ticket for quite awhile.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:02   Link #31203
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

And just a reminder, Ted Cruz is a Canadian

so blame Canada.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:07   Link #31204
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

so blame Canada.
Not happening, bub:

Quote:
After hearing that according to legal experts he is a dual citizen of Canada and the U.S., Cruz announced on August 19, 2013 that he would renounce his Canadian citizenship.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:07   Link #31205
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

so blame Canada.
CANADA?!?!?!?!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Not happening, bub:
Do you really think something like this could possibly ever integrate into American society?

That flapping head crested by those two beady eyes...disgusting!
Old 2013-10-16, 18:10   Link #31206
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

so blame Canada.
Why blaming Canada? It isn't like he lived here for long, otherwise he might have more love for healthcare Seriously influence like Ayn Rand might be more to blame for the result than is Ted Cruz.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:13   Link #31207
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:

so blame Canada.
Really funny. I would not even call him a Canadian.

Texas can have him for all I care, but then they are the ones who look foolish by voting for him. I don't want to see this kind of tw*t leading our federal politics at 200 km away from my home city.
Old 2013-10-16, 18:16   Link #31208
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Really funny. I would not even call him a Canadian.

Texas can have him for all I care, but then they are the ones who look foolish by voting for him. I don't want to see this kind of tw*t leading our federal politics at 200 km away from my home city.
I suggest to you to not look too much at today's Conservator's Party. It do have a fews elected member than are as batshit insane than he is, but at least they are better controlled.
Old 2013-10-16, 19:43   Link #31209
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So apparently it's not over yet.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Coming out of a closed-door meeting Wednesday afternoon, in which Speaker John A. Boehner explained to his conference that he would be taking up the Senate deal and likely passing it with the help of Democratic votes, Republican lawmakers were already regrouping for the next fight.

“I’ll vote against it,” Representative John Fleming of Louisiana said. “But that will get us into Round 2. See, we’re going to start this all over again.”

But the next time around, Republicans are also hoping for a better outcome.

“If we get past tomorrow, we can all take a deep breath and basically refocus — knowing we have January out there — and refocus on trying to get some big things,” said Representative Adam Kinzinger of Illinois. “I’m not overly optimistic, but it’s a better position than we are today.”

Mr. Kinzinger said that Mr. Boehner had delivered a similar message. “Look, we’ve got move forward here,” he said, recounting Mr. Boehner’s pitch. “The fight’s not over. Everybody knows we’re against the health care bill. Now the health care bill is going to be front and center once we get past this, and we can see if it’s successful or if it’s not, but this isn’t the end of the fight.”

Earlier in the day, Representative Raúl R. Labrador of Idaho had criticized the Republican leadership team for combining the fight to finance the government — and, later, to reopen the government — with the fight over the debt ceiling. Republicans, he said, were unlikely to stand strong in their efforts to defund the health care law when faced with the risk of potentially devastating debt default.

Now, with the government poised to reopen and default pushed down the road, the hope among Republicans is that they can refocus on the issues most important to them — the effort to chip away at the Affordable Care Act and to enact spending cuts.

“ I think there are battles to be had,” said Representative Trey Gowdy of South Carolina.

The mood at the meeting was described as upbeat — or at least as positive as could be expected for a group that knew that knew the fight had been lost.

“The speaker did his best to reassure the troops,” Representative Blake Farenthold of Texas said. “It’s the classic ‘we’ll live to fight another day.’ ”

Even the most hard-line conservatives — those who had refused to compromise and pushed their leadership farther to the right — were pleased with Mr. Boehner and his team.

“I’m very proud of our leadership,” Mr. Fleming said. “I didn’t think they would hang in there two weeks, and so I’m very proud that they did that. So I’m head over heels in jubilee over what they’ve done, how hard they’ve tried.”

It seems that the GOP in the house has every intention to try to reenact this fiasco early next year. This is really just flabbergasting considering the kind of negative reaction the GOP managed to get from the general public and their big money backers. and this would have them trying to force a shutdown right smack dab in the middle of house primaries. Are they trying to commit political suicide here?

Do they somehow think that Obama will be more inclined to capitulate a few months from now? Do they think people will react less negatively than when they did it the first time? Have they not been told what the definition of insanity is?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-16, 21:14   Link #31210
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
For all the 3 months of funding, and 4 month for the debt limit. So they'll get this mess again after Christmas. The joy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I thought about this is that GOP is a falling brand right now, with all of this backlash from this mess and Tea Party is breathing down their necks. This is going to cost them and cost them big, they kind of glad that some of them redraw their districts.
Those swing districts would get hit, but those who are solid tea party wouldn't need to care about this.
Just a reminder that the democrates can be just as disfunctional. Recall the run-in to the passing of the health care act, even though they had control of the house and a super majority in the senate, they had so many factions and agendas that they could not pass it until very late.
Old 2013-10-16, 22:10   Link #31211
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
For all the 3 months of funding, and 4 month for the debt limit. So they'll get this mess again after Christmas. The joy...
Think on the bright side: if we have this mess every few months, it'll be a memory refresher for the goldfish American public when they vote on November 2014.

Just a few billions dollars' worth of economic damage per day to destroy extreme conservatism in America for a generation. Cheap, amirite?

I might also have enough savings by then to take advantage of a market collapse and buy into the S&P when it's way, way down, rather than unconvincingly bubbly like the present.

Quote:
Just a reminder that the democrates can be just as disfunctional. Recall the run-in to the passing of the health care act, even though they had control of the house and a super majority in the senate, they had so many factions and agendas that they could not pass it until very late.
One of the more interesting displays of note is how the Democrats stood together in a nearly solid bloc throughout the affair -- driven, probably, by being plain fed up with repeated Republican threats and betrayals, the obviousness of the Republican murder-suicide attempt, Obama's change of stance regarding the GOP from appeasement to opposition, and the post-gerrymandering 2010 Congressional elections wipeout of the "swing" conservative Democrats. It will be quite interesting to see if Pelosi could maintain the newfound Democratic unity in the House and possibly even reap legislative rewards from the breakdown of Boehner's caucus.

You are right, however. The American People (tm) stood behind the Democrats throughout this crisis due to the obvious madness of the GOP, but this very day the administration of our dear steadfast, laudable President, who nobly refused to bow down to terrorists in defense of Democracy, attempted to torpedo a court challenge on the NSA. The "good guys" aren't all that.

We might also recall that during earlier phases of the NSA revelations, liberals -- liberals-by-principle, rather than party partisans -- stood together with libertarians and Tea Party Republicans to challenge the entrenched and equally bipartisan establishment lawmakers.

Unfortunately Rand Paul cares more about Obamacare than defending civil liberties.
Old 2013-10-16, 22:13   Link #31212
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You know what is crazy with a lot of right wingers (both common citizens and politicians)? Just absolutely crazy? A lot of them think that health care reform from Obama is more controversial and more maddening than the two wars from Bush...where we invaded two countries, brought civil war to those countries; which left hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans dead (not that these same right wingers give any shit about that...), thousands of American troops dead, and trillions of dollars spent. But of course to these right wingers, Bush is a good guy because he is an Evangelical Christian who opposes marriage equality, and of course Obama, the guy that made a push to give health care to about 50 million Americans, is a no-good Muslim terrorist jerk-bag.
Old 2013-10-17, 00:37   Link #31213
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Republican Party has made a platform on being against taxes and the ACA seems like more taxes to their voters. Their voters don't want to be paying any more than they are, or think they are paying too much for ineffective government. They don't want to be paying for what they consider to be freeloaders in the big cities (welfare and other such programs). Of course this is usually from the older Baby Boomers that are retired and are not on welfare because they managed to get a retirement from either a company, or for working or fighting for the state (state level or federal). Middle class America.

As for the rest of the world, they don't care. Leave the world to do what it wants and leave America alone for the Americans. Isolationist. They don't agree with the Iraqi War or the occupations...because they'd rather have flattened the places as retribution for 9/11 and Saddam being a dick, and then leave. The ideology would be "don't fuck with America or we will destroy you" on a basic level. Nuclear weapons being the fire from heaven inspired method.

(On a side note; I find reading this with myself having an image of Leader Dessler giving a speech under it all quite amusing.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-10-17 at 00:53.
Old 2013-10-17, 04:38   Link #31214
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gov't reopens after Congress ends 16-day shutdown
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-17-03-12-11

Report: NSA and CIA collaborate on drone strikes
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-17-01-14-32
Old 2013-10-17, 06:09   Link #31215
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Republican Party has made a platform on being against taxes and the ACA seems like more taxes to their voters. Their voters don't want to be paying any more than they are, or think they are paying too much for ineffective government. They don't want to be paying for what they consider to be freeloaders in the big cities (welfare and other such programs). Of course this is usually from the older Baby Boomers that are retired and are not on welfare because they managed to get a retirement from either a company, or for working or fighting for the state (state level or federal). Middle class America.
Shouldn't the Republican Party try harder in 2012 election through? Their voters couldn't make the number for the election (whether on tax, Obamacare, whatever), and now they still demand thing to go their way anyway? That does not sound legit and surely undermined the democratic election...

There was all these talks about how Egypt failed democracy because their losing party can't simply wait another 4 years for their chance. And just throw in coup, then violent protests/ anti-protests to get their way. Isn't the same thing is happening in US right now, probably just in better manner?
Old 2013-10-17, 06:29   Link #31216
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I remember watching the news that Tea Party supporters blame the Democrats for the shutdown of the government.

Also, Xinhua announced that the Chinese government is suggesting for an alternative to the American dollar.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2013-10-17, 07:00   Link #31217
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Both Bill de Blasio, Joe Lhota say schools should close on Muslim holidays
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/elec...icle-1.1488189
Quote:
The mayoral candidates agree that schools should recognize Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, the holiest days of the Muslim year, just as they do Jewish and Christian days. De Blasio says that schools must 'respect Muslim faiths,' and Lhota says he has been calling to close schools on the two days throughout his campaign.
Old 2013-10-17, 07:58   Link #31218
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Just a few billions dollars' worth of economic damage per day to destroy extreme conservatism in America for a generation. Cheap, amirite?
Unless you happen to be one of the persons who gets denied experimental cancer medication due to constant government shutdowns.
Quote:
The Republican Party has made a platform on being against taxes and the ACA seems like more taxes to their voters. Their voters don't want to be paying any more than they are, or think they are paying too much for ineffective government.
Yes. Certain taxes would have to be raised to fund the ACA. But there are other things in this world that can hurt your pocket book besides taxes.

Every time a poor uninsured person shows up in an emergency room, society has to pay for it (often quite expensively, since in many cases it's an untreated condition). Do we pay for it through taxes? No. Because taxes are evil. But we can't just let a person in the ER die. So we adopt the best free market solution possible...we tell the hospital to pay for it out of the goodness of their hearts. Well naturally the hospitals have to compensate for these extra expenses somehow. Usually they do it by raising the cost of services for everybody else who is insured.

The problem with the conservative movement today is they've become so obsessed with taxes, that they're completely blind to other ways that expenses can creep up on them. And that paradoxically, taxes are sometimes the more financially efficient solution.
Quote:
They don't want to be paying for what they consider to be freeloaders in the big cities (welfare and other such programs). Of course this is usually from the older Baby Boomers that are retired and are not on welfare because they managed to get a retirement from either a company, or for working or fighting for the state (state level or federal). Middle class America.
I've never felt comfortable with the fact that so much of the welfare debate always seems to get characterized as being people in the city. It always sounds like a code word for ethnic minorities.

You can quibble about the exact ratios, but there is a segment of white rural America that is just as poor as inner city minorities, and just as propped up on welfare. Yet this demographic almost seems to never be the focus of GOP attacks on welfare recipients. And I largely suspect that it's because this demographic tends to be very solid GOP voters.

Of course there's the question of how the rural GOP constituency can get behind the message that government handouts are evil, when they suck them up so readily. Sometimes I get the feeling that they view someone as being "worthy" of being on welfare based on the color of their skin.
Old 2013-10-17, 08:10   Link #31219
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Of course there's the question of how the rural GOP constituency can get behind the message that government handouts are evil, when they suck them up so readily. Sometimes I get the feeling that they view someone as being "worthy" of being on welfare based on the color of their skin.
Craig T. Nelson's famous comment, linked here, answers your question.

The GOP does not consider any government aid that helps them personally, to be any kind of aid at all, and that it is only when it helps other people that the spending exists. Hence the:

"I've been on food stamps and welfare. Anyone helped me out? No."

Old 2013-10-17, 08:19   Link #31220
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Craig T. Nelson's famous comment, linked here, answers your question.

The GOP does not consider any government aid that helps them personally, to be any kind of aid at all, and that it is only when it helps other people that the spending exists. Hence the:

"I've been on food stamps and welfare. Anyone helped me out? No."
The one thing that baffles me the most about the people that say this kind of nonsense is whether or not they believe even 1/5th of the things they say.

Last edited by Libros; 2013-10-17 at 09:05.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international