AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-01, 19:04   Link #301
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
So heres a nice equation for you
Spoiler for episode 16 Ahh those crazy girls:
Old 2006-11-02, 03:46   Link #302
Zelda1

After the emotional hell of 15, ep 16 is a sweet relief! Damn is it funny.

Best Line: "So that's what you look like without the gown and goggles"
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 04:50   Link #303
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda1 View Post
After the emotional hell of 15, ep 16 is a sweet relief! Damn is it funny.

Best Line: "So that's what you look like without the gown and goggles"
I don't want any manga readers to spoil anything for me, so don't tell me what's coming...

But I hope Sawyer survives this arc. Sure, she might slice a person apart with a chainsaw, but that's just business. She appear to be well-known, and perhaps even respected for performing a vital function in the criminal underworld. I don't need her to become a regular cast member; after-all, she works in the background by nature. It's just seems wrong to kill her when there are people in the show more deserving of a bullet to the head.
Why do I feel this way?
It seems Sawyer is quite a sensible and professional person, an exact opposite to the twins of the last arc. And I like people who take their work seriously.
Old 2006-11-02, 12:19   Link #304
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Balalaika and Chang both admit they lost the right to preach morality long ago.

To us peaceful civilians, the Twins might seemed irredeemably corrupt. But to the eyes of the Black Lagoon characters, they are merely more corrupt than usual.
Thank Goodness we as the audience have the luxury of having Rock as our "filter of normality" through which we can comprhend the fucked-up universe of Black Lagoon.

Though it is the logical conclusion considering how time after time Rock's idealism has been mauled by reality, I sincerely hope against all hope of an ending in which he becomes a jaded, blaze, cynical, uncaring and unfeeling monster like Balika and Revy.

Spoiler:
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 16:59   Link #305
monir
cho~ kakkoii

So no one has watched episode 5 yet other than Shiroth!? Sure could have used Mr. Prophet's post for clarification on some of the things said in this episode. Anyway, provided some screens from this episode, a small observation, and one multiple choice question if you can dig it.

Screencap for Episode 5:

Spoiler for my observation on episode 5:

And the multiple choice question:

What makes Shenhua such an amazing character?
a) Her unique style of fighting skill

b) Her particular way of speaking that probably made every Black Lagoon fan smile at least once

c) Her dress

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I just hope when it gets subbed, be it when it hits the US DVD shelves by Geneon, they get that offensive yet hilarious line Eda says right.
Spoiler:
Spot on! It cracked me up to no end when understanding finally brought forth.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 17:08   Link #306
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
Thank Goodness we as the audience have the luxury of having Rock as our "filter of normality" through which we can comprhend the fucked-up universe of Black Lagoon.

Though it is the logical conclusion considering how time after time Rock's idealism has been mauled by reality, I sincerely hope against all hope of an ending in which he becomes a jaded, blaze, cynical, uncaring and unfeeling monster like Balika and Revy.

Spoiler:
These two "children" hammered nails into her subordinate's head and watch his body twitch for enjoyment. You completely missed the point; she didn't hunt them down for fun, but to avenge the loss of nine of her irreplaceable, loyal soldiers. As they died, they prayed not to God, but to Balalaika for salvation. She had the responsibility as the Kapitan to do what needs to be done.
If she was perverse like them, she would have employed many means of torture at her disposal. But unlike them, Balalaika doesnt find torture gratifying.

What would you do? These twins are off-the-scale in evil, so much so as to be unable to function even as criminals. They kill just because. Nothing more.
Old 2006-11-02, 17:20   Link #307
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
And the multiple choice question:

What makes Shenhua such an amazing character?
a) Her unique style of fighting skill

b) Her particular way of speaking that probably made every Black Lagoon fan smile at least once

c) Her dress

Spoiler:
seeing her sexy legs always puts a smile on my face!
anyways my pick would be b)
why? cause its dam funny the way she takes the piss in that accent

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 18:00   Link #308
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
These two "children" hammered nails into her subordinate's head and watch his body twitch for enjoyment. You completely missed the point; she didn't hunt them down for fun, but to avenge the loss of nine of her irreplaceable, loyal soldiers. As they died, they prayed not to God, but to Balalaika for salvation. She had the responsibility as the Kapitan to do what needs to be done.
If she was perverse like them, she would have employed many means of torture at her disposal. But unlike them, Balalaika doesnt find torture gratifying.

What would you do? These twins are off-the-scale in evil, so much so as to be unable to function even as criminals. They kill just because. Nothing more.
Was waiting for someone to respond to that before I thought I'd add my input. The issue with the Twins probably generated more discussion than anything in Black Lagoon so far. I think I am more sympathetic towards the Twins than most here; was tempted to hope that the last one might survive. While they were most certainly victims of years of unimaginable human brutality, they have also been broken to the point of disrepair and become animals themselves, irredeemably so. Somebody had to stop them or else they would continue killing. Balalaika was there; if not her, someone else would've got to them eventually.

Cute children they are indeed, which only makes things harder for everyone; Balalaika never showed more remorse and weariness killing anyone in the entire series (including what is to come) than when she watched Hansel/Gretel die, and that's saying something.
Old 2006-11-02, 18:17   Link #309
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Her particular way of speaking that probably made every Black Lagoon fan smile at least once
Thats where my love for Shenhua started. :3
Old 2006-11-02, 18:40   Link #310
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:

They are evil, yes, that fact is absolutely irrefutable.

Were I a boss, I would slay them too. The tormented spirits of my murdered brothers would want no less.

Regardless, I would have dones so with much more pragmatism and professionalism, and stay silent all the darned way through (Chow Yun Fat style, much cooler IMO). And heck, since I'm not an athiest like that cynical cow Revy, after the boy dies, I'd give short a short prayer so that he might gets a better shot at life in a few years time, since my debt with him in this life is already settled.
Old 2006-11-02, 18:45   Link #311
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
seeing her sexy legs always puts a smile on my face!
anyways my pick would be b)
why? cause its dam funny the way she takes the piss in that accent
I would add an entry D personally:

D
Because she is Taiwanese!! And we Taiwanese Rock!!

Ahem.

Sorry, it's just that one hardley gets to even see a Taiwanese anime character, Much less. someone as cool as Shenhua.
Old 2006-11-02, 20:57   Link #312
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Second best line: Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? He said dont bring me any trouble bitch.
btw does jesus or the john guy or whatever/whoever gospel guy actually said that? (i'm atheist so I dun know )

oh and shenhua voice is beyond sexy
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 22:17   Link #313
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Agreed, that the ambiguity regarding the twin's gender was never cleared. Admittedly, I would feel better if my current impression is never proved wrong, that, one of the twins was a girl. Poor rock! He is probably the only person closest to the truth.
I agree on the ambiguity of the Gretel's gender. I think he was actually more horrified not by Gretel's true gender, but by the fact that she has been so horrifyingly scarred that he/she believes it is proper to repay kindness from adults with sex.

Poor thing.
Old 2006-11-02, 23:52   Link #314
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
btw does jesus or the john guy or whatever/whoever gospel guy actually said that? (i'm atheist so I dun know )
John actually isn't in John 5. It's a story Jesus tells the Jews who don't believe in him. And no, he never says "Don't bring me any trouble bitch". It's more like, "Look. If you don't want to believe, fine. Whatever. It's between you and God then. He sent me, if you don't believe him, take it up with him when you get to Heaven. "

Metaphorically it works okay though because the Jews were actually trying to kill him at that point for claiming to be the son of God. So his response is in the nature of a "Look, back off." kind of thing.
Old 2006-11-03, 01:40   Link #315
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

16 Episodes on, and....

1) Though gun oriented in the nature of its combat, this series certainly has a strong 1960's Shaw-Brothers Kung-Fu Film influence, in that each enemy/team of enemies is uniquely themed in bizzare combinations of weapon/fighting-discipline/nationality/costume.

2) One YEAR already? I'm surprised that Rock (or at least his sanity) has survived this far and still remain an idealistic and caring gentleman as opposed to an apathetic, sarcastic and uncaring nihilist.
Old 2006-11-03, 03:03   Link #316
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
16 Episodes on, and....

1) Though gun oriented in the nature of its combat, this series certainly has a strong 1960's Shaw-Brothers Kung-Fu Film influence, in that each enemy/team of enemies is uniquely themed in bizzare combinations of weapon/fighting-discipline/nationality/costume.

2) One YEAR already? I'm surprised that Rock (or at least his sanity) has survived this far and still remain an idealistic and caring gentleman as opposed to an apathetic, sarcastic and uncaring nihilist.
Don't forget, by becoming a member of the Lagoon Company, Rock had abandoned his former life as a conformist. He isn't going to let anyone tell him what to do anymore, and that includes Revy wanting him to ditch the suit and tie. He joined them to be free, so there was no way he was going to change his views to suit other people. In its own way, Rock had left the hell-hole that was the Japanese Salaryman lifestyle to another, different, hell-hole. But at least he did so by his own free will.
Old 2006-11-03, 03:38   Link #317
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Rock has a very respectable strength of personality, that much is for certain.

However, even though is a (somewhat) exaggerated representation of a dark world, this series' could easily earn the alternate title of "Reality Bites."

You see, the inhabitants and laws of this universe, (and indeed, the author) seems to delight in treadign on Rock's romanticized notion of and faith towards fundamental human decency, each and every single time that he tries to exercised said idealism.

350 odd days, give or take, of having one's faith being spat on by reality every single time you try to be a good person would realistically turn him into a pragmatic cynic at worst (he has a LONG way to go before becoming Revy Mark 2) or bitter and burnt out like Benny Boy at best.

Which is why unrealistic as he may be, I really respect Rock as the Classical Representation of the Traditional Idealistic Asian Male Hero.
Old 2006-11-03, 04:38   Link #318
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

However, even though is a (somewhat) exaggerated representation of a dark world, this series' could easily earn the alternate title of "Reality Bites."

You see, the inhabitants and laws of this universe, (and indeed, the author) seems to delight in treadign on Rock's romanticized notion of and faith towards fundamental human decency, each and every single time that he tries to exercised said idealism.

350 odd days, give or take, of having one's faith being spat on by reality every single time you try to be a good person would realistically turn him into a pragmatic cynic at worst (he has a LONG way to go before becoming Revy Mark 2) or bitter and burnt out like Benny Boy at best.

Which is why unrealistic as he may be, I really respect Rock as the Classical Representation of the Traditional Idealistic Asian Male Hero.
That's only if you think Rock can't be an idealist and see the evils of the world in the same time.
To me, a genuine Idealist isn't someone who believe the world is all roses and honey (that would be denialist.); it's someone who believe things can be better than the way things are. Such an idealist can most certainly maintain his values even BlackLagoon, because how the world presents itself has nothing to do with it.
Old 2006-11-03, 18:05   Link #319
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
That's only if you think Rock can't be an idealist and see the evils of the world in the same time.
To me, a genuine Idealist isn't someone who believe the world is all roses and honey (that would be denialist.); it's someone who believe things can be better than the way things are. Such an idealist can most certainly maintain his values even BlackLagoon, because how the world presents itself has nothing to do with it.

It's one of Rock's strong points that he's an 'idealist' in a loose sense. It is idealistic to try and save such a wayward child as Gretel because Rock saw a lot of good in her - Gretel could have easily be trained in opera and had a wonderful prodigy career. That's what Rock saw in her but her blood-soaked reality of pure carnage for pleasure was just too overwhelming. I'm sure that Benny knew very well what Rock was going through - the Benny that he was after just joining the Black Lagoon team could very well have had the same 'idealist' view on Gretel, that's why he very bluntly slammed Rock with the reality that someone like Gretel can't be saved because their brain is now hardwired beyond help, even if she acts like an angel - the urge for her to kill will come sooner or later. Benny is the most 'normal' one out of the BL team and even he saw it because he's been around it moreso than Rock has.

That said, Rock does think differently than anyone in the Black Lagoon team and I'll chime in to say that he's not weak for it. It might make him an 'idealist' to the others because that's how 'normal' people are brought up to be. We can't fault him for trying to retain what bit of human decency he's allowed to keep in that criminal underworld. As Rock said before, he is his own kind of 'villian' - he'll translate for mobsters, come up with crazy plans to blow away his enemies and even negotiate for weapons and other illegal cargo but despite all of that, I feel he doesn't want to let go of his humanity just for the sake of being called 'tough' in the underground.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 19:43   Link #320
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:

Thats one of Rock's biggest and best qualties strength of heart to hold to what you beleive in and have faith in some Ihumanity) no matter how many times you get shot no matter how many times your life gets treatened by a crazy chick or how many illeagle operations you carry out to get your daily bread. However i can see Rock turning into a bit of scenic later down the road but imo he will never lose that strength of heart and idology that he lives by honestly i think thats the only things that keeps him saine.

Tags
action, crime, madhouse, seinen