AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-12, 10:52   Link #301
hikarihikari

love epi 2. Out of money and food, always Watanabe's favorite plot and they always work!
hikarihikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 11:39   Link #302
AntonKutovoi

Scarlet... Houko Kuwashima at her best

I found this episode to be way better than the previous one. I think it's probably my main show for this season.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 12:27   Link #303
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

this episode feels like they already have a set direction: character/setting development > plot. And then there's the overarching story. At the moment it seems like there is more to offer with the show as it progresses. Some of the setting and plot is hard follow now and I think they are trying to not show too early
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 13:40   Link #304
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That was quite an enjoyable second episode. I'm still not seeing anything outright amazing about the show (other than the animation, which is quite impressive) but I am getting a lot of amusement out of the show now.

Although funnily enough it now feels weird to me watching it subbed. I think I ruined it for myself...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 13:45   Link #305
kuromitsu

....yeah. Maybe I'm just in a completely wrong frame of mind, or maybe this is a genre I don't really have much nostalgia for, but this show is just not working for me. Episode 2 made me smile only twice
Spoiler for episode 2:
and the rest of the time it just feels like the show is going through the motions. Badass sexy chick - check, no money and no food - check, crazy fight scene - check, crazy chase scenes - check, boobs dangling in my face - check, etc. It's not that I crave originality and invention, but I don't know, I just find this really boring.

But Suwabe Junichi is still awesome, so...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 14:24   Link #306
Dextro
He Without a Title

I wasn't particularly amazed with the first episode aside from the soundtrack and the second half animation but this second episode really worked for me. Where the gags fell flat last week they completely clicked this time. Add to that the same amazing animation and soundtrack that the show already exhibited before and it walks a step further into "keep" territory. It still isn't amazing though, it still needs some plot to make it work but I'll let it run through these introduction episodes first to pass final judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
....yeah. Maybe I'm just in a completely wrong frame of mind, or maybe this is a genre I don't really have much nostalgia for, but this show is just not working for me. Episode 2 made me smile only twice
Spoiler for episode 2:
and the rest of the time it just feels like the show is going through the motions. Badass sexy chick - check, no money and no food - check, crazy fight scene - check, crazy chase scenes - check, boobs dangling in my face - check, etc. It's not that I crave originality and invention, but I don't know, I just find this really boring.

You have to admit though: that was one BADASS fight scene they did there. I think my jaw hit the floor at times.
Old 2014-01-12, 14:51   Link #307
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
You have to admit though: that was one BADASS fight scene they did there. I think my jaw hit the floor at times.
It looked good, but after Bebop and Champloo it was pretty much "same old, same old" - and this is just two previous Watanabe shows and not, say, something like Noein or Kemonozume where the art and animation are interesting instead of just being fluid and pretty.
Old 2014-01-12, 15:16   Link #308
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
It looked good, but after Bebop and Champloo it was pretty much "same old, same old" - and this is just two previous Watanabe shows and not, say, something like Noein or Kemonozume where the art and animation are interesting instead of just being fluid and pretty.
Yes, it was just like Bebop and Champloo but those were 1998/2004 shows. It's been almost 10 years since (!) so forgive me for being a bit hyped with it
Old 2014-01-12, 15:42   Link #309
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Yes, it was just like Bebop and Champloo but those were 1998/2004 shows. It's been almost 10 years since (!) so forgive me for being a bit hyped with it
Oh, do enjoy it if you like it I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm just saying that I personally can't get hyped over it. (But then, I'm also not one to be easily impressed by great animation alone, so.)
Old 2014-01-12, 18:05   Link #310
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 2:

For me the funniest highlight of the episode was Meow screwing up their getaway every time by tweeting selfies . The punchline, with the whole enemy fleet tracking down the smartphone fluctuating in space, didn't make much sense (they were following Meow's descriptions, not the phone's signal) but was still hilarious.

For the rest, yeah... it's a series that tries too hard to appear crazy and funny instead of just being so (like Kill la Kill does so well instead). Maybe it's because it's been thought so much for western markets, and this is an attempt at a kind of humour that resonates better with the general public? I don't know. I must be one of the few anime fans who didn't really appreciate Cowboy Bebop (I dropped it halfway through out of boredom), but at least I could tell Spike was a charming main character. I also liked Samurai Champloo when it did comedy, and loved both Jin's cool-headedness and Mugen's impulsiveness. So I guess a big part of the problem here really is that Dandy is just an unlikeable jerk. I can't find any redeeming qualities to him. So his adventures leave me greatly indifferent.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 19:05   Link #311
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Spoiler for episode 2:

I'm in the same boat. I really want to like this series, but the comedy isn't doing it for me. I think that's because the show tries too hard to appeal to a broad (western) audience, instead of just doing its own thing. The craziness and the comedy feel too calculated and hollow and that makes it boring.

This is the equivalent of Kyoukai no Kanata last season for me. Very shiny package that tries to fool the viewer into thinking the content is just as good.

But this is only the second episode out of 26, so it might improve.
Old 2014-01-12, 19:10   Link #312
Kirarakim

I recorded the 2nd episode but I feel no urge at all to watch it. That isn't a very good sign.
Old 2014-01-12, 19:25   Link #313
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But this is only the second episode out of 26, so it might improve.
Hate to break it to you but this is one cour

Last week the humor worked much better for me in the dub than the sub so I stayed with the dub this week and highly enjoyed the episode.

Has this been the case with anyone else?
Old 2014-01-12, 19:55   Link #314
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually, I'm finding Dandy (the show) incredibly charming. It's definitely a throwback to SF shows of the 50s and 60s though (as if the OP hadn't clued you enough about that), so people expecting something profound are probably watching the wrong show. Those who're in for a rolicking adventure should be right at home though.
Old 2014-01-12, 19:57   Link #315
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Kanon and Kuromitsu:

SD thus far has a very appealing visual package, along with a fine soundtrack and seiyuu performances.
(Although I will argue that the animation this week was fluid, but not exactly mindblowing. I mean, true, Scarlet's moves are quite intense, but if you pay attention to her model, she is painfully deformed. The most notable part is after her dive kick.)

But frankly, the humor is just stale. While it isn't as mundane as in episode 1, the series lack a lot of its own energy/craziness in the lot. Not like I didn't let out a chuckle or anything, but for a series that tries to run wild... it is actually not that wild or anything.

It is sort of relying on nostalgic stuff (which works at time, such like the "what about next week?" meta joke back in ep1) and the likes, but right now, SD doesn't really crack me up at all. It is just... a little dry. It doesn't really go thorough with its charming point, hence it feels like jokes are...not completely delivered, as if only midway.
The good thing is that the show didn't pull a one trick pony with boob joke and whatnot, but it lacks... some punch/bold things to really sell me.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-01-12 at 20:43.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 21:03   Link #316
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Ep 2 was great.

Scarlet is hot & badass...lol Btw, her fighting, could it have been a Spike homage? Those guys are hunting him thinking he's some kind of threat, not knowing that he just keeps getting lucky when they're close to capturing him...XD

Animation was nice & the music again was also well timed & used. The staff of this show really do know what they're doing. The comedy wasn't really there in this episode though, but thank goodness the absurdity wasn't overplayed. They managed to keep a balance & didn't tip the scale in ridiculousness.

Also, those are some of the weirdest ramen bowls I've ever seen...lol Only the last bowl looked like a legit bowl of ramen.

Still addicted to that OP though & the ED is growing on me.

8/10.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 21:37   Link #317
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Last week the humor worked much better for me in the dub than the sub so I stayed with the dub this week and highly enjoyed the episode.

Has this been the case with anyone else?
Yeah, the dub is pretty good. As far as script goes the dub version definitely makes the experience a lot better for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
(Although I will argue that the animation this week was fluid, but not exactly mindblowing. I mean, true, Scarlet's moves are quite intense, but if you pay attention to her model, she is painfully deformed. The most notable part is after her dive kick.)
I think you're not giving that scene enough credit. Doing an action sequence like that is something very few animators can pull off. The extreme stylization could be a result of either time constraints or the animator's own drawing style, but the actual movement was fantastic. Again, very rare stuff even in the best fighting anime. Wish I knew who was the animator behind it, didn't recognize any of the animators credited on the episode.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 22:08   Link #318
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The hunt for ramen and Meow getting thrown out the air lock but got to say Scarlet stole the show
Old 2014-01-12, 23:06   Link #319
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Episode 2 made me smile only twice
Spoiler for episode 2:
Well, considering only one of those is supposed to be funny, it might just be your specific sense of humor. Don't know how many times I've been watching something with a group, and most of them are laughing so hard they're crying, and I'm sitting there going "Well, I understand why that was supposed to have been funny, but it really just wasn't..."

Not to say you weren't supposed to be smiling at the last part you mentioned, only that was a "d'awww..." scene rather than a humor scene.

I laughed out loud multiple times during episode 2, even on the second viewing (still have to see it in Japanese, as the jokes might be different).
Old 2014-01-12, 23:08   Link #320
ReddyRedWolf

There is certainly an A part and B part format in this.

The whole premise of Space Dandy's job is seek out new life and make cash out of them by registering. Imagine yourself kidnapped just to be cataloged. I felt bad for that alien that was ejected.

LOL Meow eats, sleeps and plays. Typical of a cat without being manipulative.

Ramen is popular throughout the universe. Who knew? Some ramen are like Sanakiji. The whole moving tentacles thing.

Emperor Perry? So the Gogol (Google) empire is Space America. They want something from Dandy. Maybe that element Dr. Gil mentioned last episode.

Wulongs and Scarlet's fighting style. Cowboy Bebop references. Scarlet is those librarian types who are hotter once they let their hair down.

Meow would you drop the smart phone. If you haven't noticed the Goggle I mean Gogol empire is following where you guys are going.

Dandy is getting an Inspector Cluseau rep due to his luck.

I liked the B part on the ramen making alien. We got a sob story on how he ruined his life by accidentally killing his girlfriend in his youth. Turning to a vagabond moving from planet to planet. Until a simple act of kindness on Earth inspired him to set up a ramen shop... In another dimension for 10,000 years. Of course time being relative we are not sure how long is that.

This episode shows Dandy is not a total jerkass. He offers the old alien a choice to come with them.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi