AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-28, 08:26   Link #301
CBredbeard
Banned

^ lol that'd never occurred to me. Although to Mogamett, bandits running around killing people and weakening neighboring countries was half of it. Magnostadt had conquered numerous kingdoms since the revolution and there was no reason to think they were going to stop.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 10:26   Link #302
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Gaahh!! After episode 17 I have no idea who to support! XD I liked that Mogamett I cares so much for Titus, but he's a magician who's good at heart with so not good intentions. I'm sorta supporting the magicians over the Leam empire, but the Kou empire is obviously the ones with the evil intent here which worries me that the two countries are going to war against the wrong people, but the way the girl from the Leam empire (Forgot her name haha)was so nasty to Titus and in the end made him suffer really rubbed me a bit.

Of course, i'm not saying it was all entirely her fault, Titus sorta brought it onto himself when he began caring so much for Marga

This is one big mess that's going to pit allies against each other =S
Old 2014-01-28, 10:44   Link #303
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The war is finally starting. Hope it will have good animation. I can't wait to see the Fanalis corp in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Err... Mogamett?

Spoiler for Ep 17:

At times, he almost makes Al-Thamen look like the good guys. At least they give things away for free
He didn't sell them metal vessels but magical tools - big difference. He had nothing to worry about. In fact, this benefits him since the gois are killing each other.

What pissed him off about what Al Thamen did is that they gave the power to become kings to gois, which is last thing Mogamett, the guy who thinks the world should be ruled by magicians, want.
Old 2014-01-28, 11:20   Link #304
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
He didn't sell them metal vessels but magical tools - big difference.
*Facepalm* Right. I keep mixing up those two. Thanks for the correction.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 12:14   Link #305
ChampDream
Alive

so we finally in the most exciting part, hope it will be really well done.
Old 2014-01-28, 14:03   Link #306
Acadia

I am literally stunned by what's going on in this anime. Just how far are they going to push this war thing? Where are we in relation to the magna? Are we going to complete this war arc or is that part of the manga not done yet? I mean, I can see this thing building up to like a season 3 the way things are going.

All I can imagine once Alladin gets involved in the war, is him, Morgiana, and Alibaba with their backs to each other facing a war in three different directions going "Okay, how in the hell did we get into this mess?".

Edit: Nevermind. I checked the wiki. Looks like this part of the story has been out for a while. Good. Hope everything gets animated properly.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 16:16   Link #307
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
He had good reason to be afraid and vengeful. He didn't have good reasons for the things he did.
He had every reason to want the nobles to lose their power. As for the rest... As I said, he's not that bad a ruler, for that world.

Quote:
Tighten their belts? Are you kidding? In the kind of world they lived in, people would easily starve to death even in the richest, most prosperous countries. A drought could destroy a country.
I didn't say to not use magic at all. Just to not use it so much it kills the magicians. Some irrigation provided by goi with shovels might help, too. And maybe the nobles could contribute some gold to buy food.

Quote:
As for their use as living shields, the Borg is a superior means of defense. It only makes sense to put someone in front that can take many more blows than someone else. Using magicians to act as shields probably saved hundreds of lives and won battles.
They didn't precisely volunteer for that shit, did they? And maybe, if they were planning to use magicians, some forewarning so they could prepare for it would have been nice. It's not like Partevia didn't attack everyone in sight, so they had to know it was coming years in advance.

Quote:
What's more, magicians were elevated to the aristocracy and allowed to form a school for precisely that reason. The King did treat them well and support them, however, the magicians exceeded all expectations, which lead to...
Bullshit. They were made to create rain at spearpoint (while judging from young Mogamett's attitude, just asking nicely would have been enough). And they were aristocrats for all of two years before torture, death, and exile. So either the king's protection was worth spit, or they didn't have it.

Quote:
More like a politician launching a smear campaign against his more popular rival. Perhaps the nobles were wrong to be fearful of Mogamett and the magicians, but it was impossible for them to know that for sure.
They didn't just lose their fancy titles and go on. They were tortured, some died, the rest was exiled to live in poverty.

And the point remains it was an unprovoked attack. And there was every indication the nobles hadn't changed in 30 years, so why leave them a chance to do it again?

Or hey, if you're all about unprovoked attacks being ok, why should the magicians abstain?

Quote:
We don't know that. Frankly, from what we do know, the Mustafan royal family was one of the better one's we've seen in the manga.
We know little about it, but all we've seen is bad. (Of course, the point of view might be biased.)

They kill magicians to solve all their problems, and the first thing the all-powerful nobles do when a little prosperity comes is to try and monopolize it instead of letting the commoners share it.

Quote:
I mean, the only reason parroted for the revolution in the first place was because the nobility wanted to maintain complete control over the use of magic. Nothing about starvation, excessive taxes, or an unjust government.
Did you miss the torture, death and exile? You don't think there's anything unfair about working people to death?

Quote:
Just a severe sense of entitlement from the population induced by the magicians as part of their plan to take over the country.
They were feeling entitled before the magicians were sent in exile. Mogamett just used and strengthen that flaw.

Quote:
I mean, really, if things were really terrible, Mogamett would have chosen really terrible examples of the nobles being dicks, since he's trying to convince the students that he's right, but the only examples he's got are magicians being made to provide water for crops during a drought or magicians being used as shields because another country had attacked them.

That is not a terrible excess. If he'd said something like "Many magicians lost their lives to provide water for the king's flower garden", that would be bad, but there wasn't anything like that.
All they'd done, all they'd lost, and see how they were repaid? His point wasn't even about injustice. It was that goi didn't consider magicians to be humans, and therefore wouldn't be safe under goi rule. Which is something apparently every student's experienced for himself. His conclusion may have been wrong, but judging from the students' reaction, his experience was hardly unique.

(And yes, I'm aware of the irony. But well, revolutions can be like that.)

Quote:
No, they were feared, which is even better than respect.
Seeing what happened to them? Not really.

Quote:
Which wouldn't be really all that different than anyone else that lived was drafted into the military or was expected to perform a special task for the sake of the kingdom.
And of course, you see nothing wrong with that. Or how ungrateful everyone was.

Quote:
No, doctors are a vital member of society in Magnostadt. I think in the class structure, they're a Class III, which is as high as a goi can get. People that actually know how the body works would be absolutely necessary when formulating a healing spell. Otherwise a magician would be liable to do more harm than good.

Point in case, life magic is one the branches that tends to be used for healing...but it also turns people into trees and creates horrible monstrosities. Really, if a magician just started bathing a sick person in life rukh, while that person was suffering from a bacterial infection, just what do you think would happen? The bacteria would nom them, like gasoline on a fire.

What's more, a doctor's disposition for treating people is as important as their medical knowledge. They have to actually care about not only their patient, but also about what they're doing. They have to want to avoid doing any harm to the patient through a strenuous effort.

Most of the magicians we saw at the academy were closer to scientists or warriors. Even ones that specialized in life magic like Meyers's brother won't necessarily be interested in healing people and would instead prefer to create monsters.
It's likely there are still goi physicians to treat lesser ailments, but everything we've seen or heard points to the worst cases being treated by just magicians. So either:
- the healers don't need to know mundane medicine because Magi's magic is just that convenient;
- or they do need to know it... and they do. It's possible some magicians think they're above non-magical knowledge, but I'm sure there are plenty like Meyers, who will learn whatever it is they need to support their magic. There's no reason to think that just because they know magic, they can't know anything else. As for disposition... We've seen one asshole enforcer and a bunch of teachers. The healers haven't had a speaking role, but, again, there's no reason to assume they don't have the right character. We haven't seen the guys maintaining the magic tools that make Magnostadt what it is, either.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 18:25   Link #308
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He had every reason to want the nobles to lose their power. As for the rest... As I said, he's not that bad a ruler, for that world.
99.7% of the standing population aren't even human beings as far as he's concerned.

Quote:
I didn't say to not use magic at all. Just to not use it so much it kills the magicians. Some irrigation provided by goi with shovels might help, too. And maybe the nobles could contribute some gold to buy food.
Perhaps they did all those things and it still wasn't enough?

Quote:
They didn't precisely volunteer for that shit, did they? And maybe, if they were planning to use magicians, some forewarning so they could prepare for it would have been nice. It's not like Partevia didn't attack everyone in sight, so they had to know it was coming years in advance.
Volunteer-based militaries are not exactly the historical norm. Most of the soldiers the magicians shielded would have been draftees too. What's more, having a standing army is extremely expensive. You might end up bankrupting yourself even before the enemy shows up.

Quote:
They didn't just lose their fancy titles and go on. They were tortured, some died, the rest was exiled to live in poverty.
Mogamett was still allowed to hang out at the palace and run his little school. There might have been cases were the population attacked the odd magician and that the nobles saw fit to de-humanize magicians, but they were still supported by the king as well as having his ear.

Quote:
And the point remains it was an unprovoked attack. And there was every indication the nobles hadn't changed in 30 years, so why leave them a chance to do it again?

Or hey, if you're all about unprovoked attacks being ok, why should the magicians abstain?
Being scapegoated is not an attack. It may lead to being attacked, but it is not an attack. Besides, the point is that the nobles thought of the magicians popularity as being a threat to them...and then the magicians intentionally increased their popularity (using methods detrimental to the country) so as to cause a revolt.

Quote:
We know little about it, but all we've seen is bad. (Of course, the point of view might be biased.)
The POV is obviously bias and what we've seen isn't that bad. Mogamett is invested in turning those skulls full of mush to his perspective, yet assuming his story is nothing but the truth (though lying by omission) it's really not that bad. It was probably a cakewalk compared to most other countries in the world.

Quote:
They kill magicians to solve all their problems, and the first thing the all-powerful nobles do when a little prosperity comes is to try and monopolize it instead of letting the commoners share it.
No, this was when the magicians started growing more food than the peasantry could even eat (which means they had no incentive to work for a living bye bye taxes and food exports). This was done with the intent of winning the peasants support and threatening the nobles, which caused the nobles to respond by monopolizing magic like it was any other sector of the economy, like managing trade or the military.

Obviously the nobles would still use magic in ways that was beneficial to the country, because that's what they'd always done.

Quote:
Did you miss the torture, death and exile? You don't think there's anything unfair about working people to death?
I think when it's something that could happen to anyone, one shouldn't think that they're somehow special because it happens to them. The magicians were seen as a threat to the nobles, the nobles would have done the exact same thing to anyone they considered a threat.

Quote:
They were feeling entitled before the magicians were sent in exile. Mogamett just used and strengthen that flaw.
No, they were just worried about the drought killing everyone.

Quote:
All they'd done, all they'd lost, and see how they were repaid? His point wasn't even about injustice. It was that goi didn't consider magicians to be humans, and therefore wouldn't be safe under goi rule. Which is something apparently every student's experienced for himself. His conclusion may have been wrong, but judging from the students' reaction, his experience was hardly unique.
And there's been plenty of non-magicians that have experienced the same kind of bullshit, although even worse since they probably didn't have magical powers that made them invaluable to the king and country. That's kind of the point, they aren't anymore special than any other victim group, yet they're convinced that they are.

Seeing what happened to them? Not really.

Quote:
And of course, you see nothing wrong with that. Or how ungrateful everyone was.
If a country is attacked, they'll need soldiers that need to come from somewhere. What choice is there?

In summary, my point is that the magicians weren't facing horrible circumstances like we saw in Balbaad. Mustafan's royal family seems to be only guilty of being afraid of magicians taking over the country...which is exactly what the magicians did. Outside of being turned into scapegoats to make the populace hate them and calling them a separate species, the magicians served in the same capacity as anyone else for the country's needs.

They think they're special snowflakes, that they are more aggrieved than any other people on the planet, more oppressed and mistreated, when even in the country they live they're treated better than everyone else outside of the nobility and otherwise do things that benefit the country as a whole. They were not exploited for frivolous things.
Old 2014-01-28, 22:53   Link #309
SkoolRumble4Ya

Happy to see that Marga is free but look like Titus won't live long. I hope Titus doesn't betray duties because I really hate the old man.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 09:43   Link #310
ookamigirl

Titus sure spilled his guts to Mogamett.
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
In his despair he was going to try anything.
Damn, that kid has a LOT of emotions bottled up.
Things sure are getting intense for everyone.
So after all Mogamett just wanted him & his to be left alone.
The new turn of events wasn't completely unexpected.
Next few episodes should give more action and intensity.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 14:30   Link #311
ginger02

I really love our new trio of Aladdin, Sphintus, and Titus. They complement each other well.

I also like that, as a viewer, I don't know who to root for or who is the good guy or bad guy, and that's how it usually works in war.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 19:13   Link #312
CBredbeard
Banned

Reim are the good guys. I would have thought that at least was obvious.
Old 2014-01-30, 00:44   Link #313
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
Reim are the good guys. I would have thought that at least was obvious.
They're just in a lighter shade of grey, really. We have a racist nation on one hand and one with slaves and gladiator on the other hand. Of course, given the setting of Reim' slave system which is based on Roman Empire's, being a slave doesn't look that bad compare to being treated as cattle in Magnostadt.
Old 2014-01-30, 01:40   Link #314
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
They're just in a lighter shade of grey, really. We have a racist nation on one hand and one with slaves and gladiator on the other hand. Of course, given the setting of Reim' slave system which is based on Roman Empire's, being a slave doesn't look that bad compare to being treated as cattle in Magnostadt.
Rather in terms of the conflict, Reim are the good guys. Magnostadt has been attacking all of it's neighbors (including Reim!) and distributing cutting edge weapons technology to bandits and pirates. What's more, they've maintained a fairly strict isolationist policy where literally 99.5% of the world's population is locked out of even entering their country.

Basically Magnostadt are being jerks to every other country on their borders and make no effort whatsoever to engage in diplomacy. They think they can do whatever they want and don't recognize long established borders and established governments.

They've been asking for a fight and it was only a matter of time before someone put them in their place. And they deserve whatever they get. If Reim wanted to burn the country down, salt the earth, and enslave the entire population, they'd be well within their rights.
Old 2014-02-03, 07:25   Link #315
hamazura
whatever

A-1 comeback being a jerk like in season 1... i mean wtf with this war? its rly feel so bland and plain, no whatsoever emotion, bgm or anything. where is the art and epicness like in trailer or episode 1 spoiler prologue? -_-
Old 2014-02-03, 19:57   Link #316
ChampDream
Alive

the war feel a little bit rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
A-1 comeback being a jerk like in season 1... i mean wtf with this war? its rly feel so bland and plain, no whatsoever emotion, bgm or anything. where is the art and epicness like in trailer or episode 1 spoiler prologue? -_-
I agree, it need more emotion.
Old 2014-02-03, 23:45   Link #317
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Nothing unusual, it's time for their treachery when it comes to Magi just like season 1. I've already prepared to see how much A-1 will scew up the last few epsiodes of this season. Cheap animation, low quality scene, slow and stretching frames with no action....There's probably more but I should wait

Last edited by hawkeyesvn; 2014-02-04 at 15:59.
hawkeyesvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 10:36   Link #318
Archaeon

Next episode better be good.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 10:56   Link #319
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 18 was very disappointing. The war is nowhere as intense and violent as it was in the manga. Censorship is a problem, but it's not the only issue. The animation and the music were subpar as well. They had been doing a great job until then with this season but they really dropped the ball here.

Hopefully the next one will be better.
Old 2014-02-04, 15:47   Link #320
ookamigirl

Guess there are not 2 episodes per week.
Since things got interesting I don't mind.
Scheherazade is one scary lady.
But those Magnoshutatt magicians are a true force.
It's hard to see a winner of that battle.
Flashbacks were actually useful this time.
Things are getting out of control little by little.
Aladdin making a stand, cool.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen