AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-12, 20:01   Link #301
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I was just working under the impression Kazuki was off his rocker. 'Be on my side because we promised to go to space together.'....I'm not sure what Kazuki was told about Toa, so he may be thinking that he's protecting his friend in some way. I personally liked the view that he is a rival with Toa for Jin's heart .

Don't have a clue how Kazuki expected Jin to go along with him. Knows he doesn't like the ISDA due to them blaming his father in the public eye, they chase him, point guns, and friendship is going to smooth it over? Maybe he had good intentions, but think Kazuki needs some extra brain cells.

Thought the similarities were coming from Kazuki being the main character's best friend and having brown hair.

Can understand Toa not wanting Jin to see. After all his feelings on the whole dragon thing could put a strain on the relationship. Which has developed pretty fast. Plus turning into something not human could also have a slight impact.

Anyways curious on how they will move forward. They'll soon have the ISDA on them again. So running and hoping to just get away is all they can do. So Toa has to win quick and get them out of there. Since even she probably can only handle so much at once.
Old 2007-10-12, 20:03   Link #302
Anachronism
Into Infinite Obscurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaisen View Post
the cg done on the dragons look more like plastic toys you would find at a toy shop
I completely agree. The CG dragons just look awful and entirely out of place.
Anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 20:25   Link #303
coroloro

I think that sometimes, having watched a great deal of anime, we pick at it and insert our expectations too deply into it- a little like a movie critic might. I for one like to enjoy each anime fresh, like a unique adventure and experience. Rather than thinking "a story that is of this genre -should- have these parts: A, B, C" I think the whole idea of anime is, for me, the fact it often breaks through typical genre barriers. One thing I enjoy the most about anime, after watching hundreds of series, is the fact that I never REALLY know how it will end for sure! The endings are starting to become more Western in general and have the happier side to them, BUT it still isn't predictable- will it be happy, will it be sad... will the character I like live, or die? And even if it will be happy- HOW will it be happy? I'm noticing some general genre cliche's developing, but they still twist it up... and even if some aspects are predictable, I find a lot of good ones that fall into a predictable genre but have unique, very enjoyable aspects to them.

Having seen two episodes of this new anime, I am -very- pleased (and to the person who compared this to Reideen- I watched the whole series of the newest Reideen, and two episodes in I already see it is better and COMPLETELY different. There's a slight similarity with the general idea of alien lifeform paired with human, and fighting together as a team... but the shows are quite different, and I already like this one a LOT more: Reideen was decent, but this one grabs me SO much more). The first episode made me curious- but episode two hooked me. As someone who has seen enough good anime that falls into cliche'd genres, I've learned to be able to look past the initial 'Haven't I seen that before?' feeling and get to the heart of the anime. To me, it doesn't matter if I'm watching the first giant robot anime or the most recent, if it turns out to be the best in my opinion... then it's great. This, fortunately, is NOT about giant robots. It's about dragons, anime style. That's got my interest.

This has me hooked, and I am thinking very quickly this might become my personal favourite of the season in competition with Clanad- something I did not expect. I personally REALLY like the fresh, unique approach to the main character's relationship with the female 'dragon' protecting him. I LIKE how they broke out of predictability. In most anime, they approach affectionate relationships in a VERY predictable way- one which definitely does NOT include holding hands or kissing so soon. I like how they broke out of that: they break out of a 'cliche' just by doing it. As for realism- have you never heard tell of any couples who click and end up making out (or more) on their first date?

It just started, so I'm just taking it for the ride it is. It isn't unimaginable to think that, in this world, these two characters have a unique bond- they haven't told us a whole lot about the bond that the dragons and their people have. So maybe that has an impact upon his ability to suddenly accept her? Also, consider human psychology- these incredible things happen, but there's this one sudden, safe, steady factor of the girl who saves him. She's there to support him, and yeah- she's a bit unbeleavable, but things kind of become a little dreamlike anyway when crazy things start happening.

I'm in love with this show- and I won't deny I just enjoy dragons, period. I didn't care about the CGI- Reideen had awesome CGI in comparison but it didn't grab me a quarter as much. I personally found the dragon-version of the lead girl to be beautiful. I love the relationship they are forming between the two- it seems to be special and intimate from the start, and I'm excited to see where the plot will take them.
coroloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 21:30   Link #304
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
By the second episode I have decide the music in this series is positively astounding and will make for a must own OST for me. It feels like music from a 90's anime, something I might hear in a Gundam series, and does a great job at enhancing the atmosphere of the scenes in this series, which not a lot of anime music does these days I find. The opening is a keeper too.

On the episode, Jaqueline is simply a goddess , always either with her hands on her hips or crossed, and always emasculating Jin somehow ("Your a small man"). The outfit is just great to, as is her figure. Favourite character bar none. I hope to see her turning out to have some sort of super power like the rest of the ISDA.

Anyway, episode 02 felt much more focused than the previous one, with a little bit of plot layed out and some revelations about the shuttle accident, and I'm now confident that the mysteries up until now will be revealed soon. What I want to know first though is what is behind this whole resonance thing. I'll be there next time, and hopefully we'll even get some new BGM.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 21:38   Link #305
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
All i know is not only is Toa a hottie but shes also a freakin dragon either way SCORE what guy wouldnt want a hot girlfriend that also kicks ass in winged form

Episode 2 worked for me bgm stood out this time and the pacing was great not to mention the action. This episode sold me on the series for the mean time. If it keeps up like this up to episode 5 ill add to my weekly must watch list
Old 2007-10-12, 21:46   Link #306
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
All i know is not only is Toa a hottie but shes also a freakin dragon either way SCORE what guy wouldnt want a hot girlfriend that also kicks ass in winged form

Episode 2 worked for me bgm stood out this time and the pacing was great not to mention the action. This episode sold me on the series for the mean time. If it keeps up like this up to episode 5 ill add to my weekly must watch list
Just watch, Jackie's going to turn out to be a Dagron too. I don't know how, i'ts just a hunch.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 21:48   Link #307
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Yeah, I definitely agree with the music. The pieces they played in some of the scenes such as the Jin/Toa scene at the lighthouse was fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Just watch, Jackie's going to turn out to be a Dagron too. I don't know how, i'ts just a hunch.
Nah.

Spoiler:
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 22:01   Link #308
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Well, I'd rather watch these "ugly" CG dragons instead of the most beautiful giant robots any day but I guess that's just me.

Quote:
I LIKE how they broke out of predictability. In most anime, they approach affectionate relationships in a VERY predictable way- one which definitely does NOT include holding hands or kissing so soon.
True that, it's quite refreshing to see a relationship that moves fast instead of endless doubt and attempted love confessions ruined by a sudden plot device since, you know, it has to happen close to the end.

Quote:
I guess GONZO is really low on budget or their CG animation skills have severely degenerated.
They are producing perfectly fine 3D models for Blue Drop, so I guess it's not a question of lack of skills, maybe they broke the bank paying for a dozen rather well known seiyuus.

P.S. Akira and Makina look practically lovey-dovey in the OP and ED, here is a hoping there will be a bit of yuri in the series.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 22:16   Link #309
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
True that, it's quite refreshing to see a relationship that moves fast instead of endless doubt and attempted love confessions ruined by a sudden plot device since, you know, it has to happen close to the end.
Agreed, but I have an issue at the pace the relationship developed. It just didn't feel natural at all... that's why they better give it a somewhat logical explanation in the future, or I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 22:29   Link #310
Ashlotte
Clockwork

God was that some really pathetic looking CG...Especially at the end...

Well getting beyond that eyesore it was an ok episode I suppose. The jinxtoa moments being the main highlight with kazuki probably being the low point...Sorry kid but you arent convincing anyone sitting their shaking like a leaf pointing a gun at somebody.

I think so far I might be able to ignore the giant boobs and horrible CG if they keep the storyline moving along at a brisk pace like it has been.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 22:35   Link #311
zalem

The newest Reideen? Reideen was terrible. Boring and never had a real plot. The main relationship was boring as hell. The end sucked too. We're two episodes in with this series and I definitely see this one has way better than Reideen. Toa has more life to her than Midorino. She can kick ass in both her human and dragon forms. Definitely a winner.

I do admit the relationship is moving ridiculously fast though. I mean maybe I can't blame her cause she's not human and maybe the bond between her and Jin causes her to act overly loving and protective towards her human. But Jin, what's his excuse? Well, she is cute but....still it seems he's a bit too lovey dovey with her. Doesn't bother me too much though.
Old 2007-10-13, 00:10   Link #312
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Rawr, thanks to a post on another forum. I took a closer look at "Jacqueline's" name in katakana. It's supposed to be Sieglinde. . I guess I've been going on auto pilot with her name 'cause she hasn't been properly named in the show yet and everyone was calling her that.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 01:59   Link #313
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Spoiler for Suzaku's past and Code Geass events:

Have you ever witnessed anyone prevailing over the mighty, cheesy power of Pizza Hut? Nevah. C.C.>Toa. End of story.
Spoiler:
while Kazuki was desperately trying to keep Jin out of an even deeper mess. He knew the order to use weapons had been greenlit all the way and that, if need be, his teammates would comply and shoot, should Jin resist arrest or try to flee the premises. So, either he held Jin at gunpoint and spared him a fugitive's life or he let things in Fate's hands, crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. Yeah, maybe adding insult to an already injured buddy is not exactly the best way to show your solicitude but at least we should grant Kazuki that small point.

Which makes me wonder, though, how would an undecided, candid pussy like him grow into a rival, as suggested by the OP? Unless, of course, it's simply the traditional concept of two friends on two different sides but without bad feelings in between. Just two guys angsting over an untimely rift in their friendship.
That's why I said Kazuki was worse. The situation is similar to Code Geass (ignoring all of the in-between), but the characters are different. Of course, the appearances are somewhat similar too (somewhat...).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 07:28   Link #314
Saleh
Inactive

Jin Kazuki pair has more resemblance to Kira & Athrun (GS) than Lelouch & Suzaku. Even their first meeting is very similar (other than settings). Kazuki isn't even a self-righteous person as Suzaku.

Spoiler for Some similarities:

Last edited by Saleh; 2007-10-13 at 07:51.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 08:00   Link #315
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

i so hope that this anime ends in a happy ending. The amount of animes that end with sad ending I have seen recently is incredible and breaking me. There is only so much depression I can take. On the other hand Dragonaut looks like its going to be the best anime of 07 next to Code Geass

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 08:03   Link #316
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Jin Kazuki pair has more resemblance to Kira & Athrun (GS) than Lelouch & Suzaku. Even their first meeting is very similar (other than settings & the obvious). Kazuki isn’t even self-righteous person as Suzaku.

Spoiler for Some similarities:
Yeah, I don't see the Code Geass thing either.

Spoiler:

That being said, I think the Kazuki and Jin thing was kind of a bad copy of that plot. Kazuki pointing the gun at Jin seemed forced. In GS, you have obvious reasons why each character is on the side they are on. It's seems more tragic because it's one of those things that can't be help. Right now in Dragonaut, we don't know anything about ISDA or the opposition. We can't care about which side is which when we know nothing about what is going on and why Toa doesn't think Jin should be with them. Kazuki tells Jin to stay, but why? Same with Jin leaving, for what reason? I guess we'll find out eventually.
Teletha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 08:11   Link #317
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
[FONT="Century Gothic"]God was that some really pathetic looking CG...Especially at the end...
I have to agree. That's probably the biggest flaw in the show at this point. The poorly integrated CGI is very distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Jin Kazuki pair has more resemblance to Kira & Athrun (GS) than Lelouch & Suzaku.
I think there is a bit of resemblance to both, but I too was getting a "Seed" feel from the second episode (which is not a good thing, IMO). I'll have to see how it goes as to whether it handles the childhood friends/grown up enemies meme better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I do admit the relationship is moving ridiculously fast though. I mean maybe I can't blame her cause she's not human and maybe the bond between her and Jin causes her to act overly loving and protective towards her human. But Jin, what's his excuse?
You're right, he does seem to "accept" her unbelievably quickly, but I took that as just an indication that they shared some sort of mysterious bond that has not yet been explained.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 10:41   Link #318
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
But Jin, what's his excuse?
Since does one need an excuse to make out with a hot stranger (and one that has saved his life to boot)?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 10:48   Link #319
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Since does one need an excuse to make out with a hot stranger (and one that has saved his life to boot)?

It's more like a proper reaction... he just looks at her as if she were a lifetime buddy or something. I would've understood an over-aroused reaction, though

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 10:57   Link #320
zalem

I would understand him being attracted to her, but he is acting like....well, like the above poster put it "a lifetime buddy." Like he meets her and suddenly they are best friends and more. It's just weird. I don't go around holding hands with strangers and acting like they are my best friend/lover. Even if they are attractive strangers. ^^;;;; Of course, Toa seems to return the feelings and encourages him.

Tags
action, ecchi, romance, sci-fi