Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-02-22, 12:31   Link #32981
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
the difference is Germany admitted the war they started, and take full blame, but Japan still holding ceremony for their "war criminals" as heroes, imagine if Germany hold a ceremony for Hilter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
instead of building the keystone pipeline so Canada can sell oil to world at higher prices. i think the US should built a transcontinental pipeline to transport form wet states to dry states.
But having it run throughstates with different political alignments would result in.....discontent.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-02-22, 12:41   Link #32982
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
How long has it been since this mess started? A week? 2 weeks? I'm not sure if we can be talking about secession just yet but wow this is out of control.
This protest movement has been going on for a couple of months, but it's only been in the last week or so that things have progressed so quickly.
Old 2014-02-22, 12:46   Link #32983
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This protest movement has been going on for a couple of months, but it's only been in the last week or so that things have progressed so quickly.
See, that makes more sense. I'd never have expected a movement of this scale to progress so quickly in just a week or two.
Old 2014-02-22, 12:48   Link #32984
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Leaders in the East Ukraine vote to take control of their areas
Old 2014-02-22, 12:51   Link #32985
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just start negotiating a split of the country.
Old 2014-02-22, 15:25   Link #32986
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
just start negotiating a split of the country.
I bet Izhmash will earn more money than Colt if that happens.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-02-22, 16:19   Link #32987
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Well it was kinda inevitable considering the Pro EU and Pro Russia split in the country. As long as it doesn't devolve into another civil war, well...

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2014-02-22, 16:32   Link #32988
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Well it was kinda inevitable considering the Pro EU and Pro Russia split in the country. As long as it doesn't devolve into another civil war, well...
Well, I honestly have to wonder what things are going to be like in the coming months. Eastern Ukraine siding with Russia and Western with the EU(orr is it the other way around, I forget)? That's gonna be pretty awkward for the neutrals in the middle.
Old 2014-02-22, 19:44   Link #32989
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

That is the East for Russia, and the West for EU.

So sad to see people becomes pawn without knowledge.
Old 2014-02-22, 19:57   Link #32990
JokerD

Quote:
instead of building the keystone pipeline so Canada can sell oil to world at higher prices. i think the US should built a transcontinental pipeline to transport water form wet states to dry states.
I'm sure environmental groups will find something to complain about when that is the plan.
Old 2014-02-22, 20:03   Link #32991
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
I'm sure environmental groups will find something to complain about when that is the plan.
beats having all that fresh water waste.
Old 2014-02-22, 20:09   Link #32992
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They'll find a fish, frog, bird, or insect that will be harmed by moving the water and the project won't go anywhere for decades.

Or they'll sight the Owens Valley Project and see how that worked out for everyone that wasn't Los Angeles. Also a reason sighted for why the L.A.P.D. are completely out of touch with their citizens and powers.

As for the oil pipeline....There exists a pipeline to the coast, the third phase just oppened last month. The question now is probably how much money are we going to waste on lawyers and wasting time for prices to go up even more before they start building thing thing anyway? Enviromental impact or no, they are going to buld it because that is were the profits are...unless they force a hand to make the pipeline go to British Columbia instead. At which point the Americans lose on a lot of fronts. Wasted money on lawsuits, politics, and protesters that could be spent on other things. Plus no new jobs in those areas (be it 20 or 20,000). The enviroment might be saver, but that is a temporary things, as we'll find another way to mess the lands up, or make them unproductive. Even the Ogallala Aquifer may not last all that much longer anyway.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2014-02-22 at 20:32.
Old 2014-02-23, 03:43   Link #32993
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They'll find a fish, frog, bird, or insect that will be harmed by moving the water and the project won't go anywhere for decades.

Or they'll sight the Owens Valley Project and see how that worked out for everyone that wasn't Los Angeles. Also a reason sighted for why the L.A.P.D. are completely out of touch with their citizens and powers.

As for the oil pipeline....There exists a pipeline to the coast, the third phase just oppened last month. The question now is probably how much money are we going to waste on lawyers and wasting time for prices to go up even more before they start building thing thing anyway? Enviromental impact or no, they are going to buld it because that is were the profits are...unless they force a hand to make the pipeline go to British Columbia instead. At which point the Americans lose on a lot of fronts. Wasted money on lawsuits, politics, and protesters that could be spent on other things. Plus no new jobs in those areas (be it 20 or 20,000). The enviroment might be saver, but that is a temporary things, as we'll find another way to mess the lands up, or make them unproductive. Even the Ogallala Aquifer may not last all that much longer anyway.
Reminds me of the National Water Carrier in Israel where the project received the protection of both Mossad and the Shin Bet.

No complaints, no protests - within Israel that is.

Ukrainians gawp as Yanukovich's luxury estate is opened to public

If I train hard enough at Mahjong and beat Yulia, can I ask for Ukrainian Presidency as the prize?

Old 2014-02-23, 06:19   Link #32994
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Such pessimistic views of the world. But at least there's people out there still fighting to keep things going for the future. Still I wonder how long this drought will continue before us here in SoCal really feel the pinch of "taking" water from NoCal.

Anyways the pipeline issue is just a litmus test for environmentalists on the current administration. The midterms loss in 2010 really did take out the wind out of the sails in tackling the issue, so executive and administrative actions are even put more under heavy scrutiny.

Darn LoK reference. xP

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2014-02-23, 06:34   Link #32995
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I had a history professor that had gone to school at UCLA during the last major drought. He was watching the news, which was all about water rationing in California, then looked outside to see people still watering their lawns, washing cars, kids playing in blow up pools, and all sorts of things in Los Angeles. Like there wasn't even a drought at all. Save that in the Bay Area, we were modifying our toilets to use less water. Not flushing as often. Using bath water for watering plants. Cold water that came out before the hot water got to the faucets or showers were collected and later used to at least partly fill the clothes washing machine each week. The lawn died, and the cars were dusty.

The new water friendly toilets that came out around then were awful. The designs just could not flush as well as an older 5 gallon tank with just 3.5 gallons. Typically requiring a second flushing after unplugging the thing, wasting more water. The older five gallon tanks filled with space restruction bottles seemed to work better as the volume of water coming out was enough to go the job even though is used less water. They've fixed the design flaw in newer 1.6 gallon and less tank designs, but the early ones are terrible.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2014-02-23 at 06:54.
Old 2014-02-23, 08:04   Link #32996
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Police and protesters clash over new Turkish internet law

MEXICO CAPTURES SINALOA CARTEL BOSS 'CHAPO' GUZMAN

NSA Affair: Constitutional Court President
Had Strong Words for the US
Old 2014-02-23, 13:46   Link #32997
sbg711

Crimea

Old 2014-02-23, 13:58   Link #32998
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg711 View Post
Crimea

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'll add to this picture with this article.

(In Crimea, Ukrainians demand Russian presence, by the Financial times)

EDIT: U.S. warns Putin against Ukraine grab amid break-up fears

AND : Ukraine names it's acting president here. Live coverage..

(..Or so Reuters claims. They haven't mentioned the name of the acting president anywhere.)

By The Guardian: Russia feels double-crossed over Ukraine – but what will Putin do?

Moving over to Thailand, very sad news: Blood, sandals on street as bomb kills two, wounds 22 in Thai capital

Last edited by Libros; 2014-02-23 at 14:09.
Old 2014-02-23, 14:55   Link #32999
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
instead of building the keystone pipeline so Canada can sell oil to world at higher prices. i think the US should built a transcontinental pipeline to transport water form wet states to dry states.
Because it makes so much sense to destroy the environment and natural resources of states with water to feed the ones who decided to built in the desert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
That would be the better choice for the country, especially than the keystone pipeline will help only a small number and risk to screw over a shitload of regular citizen and communities.
No, only good for the ones that live in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
more like the wholesale destruction of entire biospheres -_-

As a resident of a great-lakes state (of which is already suffering historic low water levels), I can't say I'm fond of comments like the above that seems to think that freshwater is an renewable resource with unlimited capacity, and any impact to the local communities are negligible and all who thinks otherwise are lulz.

You guys want to build and live in the desert? good, then deal with it. Don't come trying to gut my state to run yours.
Old 2014-02-23, 15:02   Link #33000
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
I'll add to this picture with this article.

(In Crimea, Ukrainians demand Russian presence, by the Financial times)

EDIT: U.S. warns Putin against Ukraine grab amid break-up fears

AND : Ukraine names it's acting president here. Live coverage..

(..Or so Reuters claims. They haven't mentioned the name of the acting president anywhere.)

By The Guardian: Russia feels double-crossed over Ukraine – but what will Putin do?

Moving over to Thailand, very sad news: Blood, sandals on street as bomb kills two, wounds 22 in Thai capital
For some reason there are no news in russia media on this. Almost nothing at all

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international