AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-12, 18:45   Link #3341
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I was asking that question to you. Do you have any proof that Alto's history changed? No... no? Then drop that. If there is no proof his history was changed, then it remained the same as the series.
Like I said, your opinion is as good as mine. Because that's all this is. You don't have a quote from The Hory Froating Head or a snippet from the movies' bible stating outright that the character's motivation was the same; ergo that his past was the same. It's not like we were shown anything that didn't happen in the series in regards to Alto's past... Oh, wait. Yes, we were. Hello monkey-eared little lady! Now, what were we talking about again?

And you did not answer my last question. Therefore your argument is moot.
After all, the movies were not made only for those who had previously seen the series, now were they?

Quote:
Besides, Kawamori did state that it was a rewrite of the series storyline, not their pasts; so we are left to realize their pasts are pretty much the same.
Right, because the characters' pasts are not a part of the movies' storyline. And it's not like even a single one of them had extensive changes to their background, right? So, please, drop it. You're only making this worse on yourself.

Old 2011-11-12, 18:57   Link #3342
supernaps
old school actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I'm not trying to inadvertently help LMK, but you DO know that the "indecent version" was a joke, right?

Apparently, not only Nakamura and Endo, but all the other voice actors, and even the staff, were ALL moaning and sighing. So unless you think Alto and Sheryl were having a big ol' orgy, you can't use it as evidence for anything.
I was actually being ironic, using this as a proof that Alto/Sheryl did the deed because it's so obvious you don't even need a 'proof'.

Kind of using LMK's way to troll while not technically troll.
Old 2011-11-12, 19:05   Link #3343
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaps View Post
I was actually being ironic, using this as a proof that Alto/Sheryl did the deed because it's so obvious you don't even need a 'proof'.

Kind of using LMK's way to troll while not technically troll.
Oops...sorry for blowing your cover, then...
Old 2011-11-12, 19:12   Link #3344
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Oops...sorry for blowing your cover, then...
Back in the car... grandpa Yot...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-12, 19:50   Link #3345
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
This always bothered me, Ranka was really young at that time so, why it seems like Ranka had no life between the incident with the Vajra and the start of the series/Movies? Unless amnesia makes her forget everyday of her life.
Tak was referring to Ranka knowing about her connection to the plot. Like, for example, her singing making the Vajra appear and what truly happened to 117. She had post traumatic stress and suffered from dissociative amnesia soon after the end of the incident. I doubt Ranka was truly aware of the project Mao had started (and Ranshe and Grace worked on together). In the small flashback in Ep.23, Grace is shown arguing with Ranshe; up until that point, I doubt Ranka was truly ever aware that Grace was part of 117's research facility. So how could she actually tell anyone about her connection to the plot when she doesn't know it?

It honestly has nothing to do with "her life after the incident." It has to do with what happened "during the incident" or "before it." And Ranka doesn't remember those aspects and therefore is lost when people tell her about herself.

It's not her fault. She was just a kid and witnessing her family die before her eyes is probably the most horrifying thing one can go through. I give her a good thumps-up for forgetting the incident and actually living instead of deciding to die blaming herself (like she did in Ep.24).

Quote:
Now, you seem to believe that being independent means not wanting a romantic relationship. Sheryl could have one, if she wants and she does, and so does Alto.
I was saying that the way Kawamori acknowledged Sheryl, it was as if he wanted her to be a stand-alone character whether or not he put her as the winner of the triangle; because he thought she was that strong, that she could stand on her own, and therefore did not need a relationship to quote "win the love triangle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
It's not like we were shown anything that didn't happen in the series in regards to Alto's past... Oh, wait. Yes, we were. Hello monkey-eared little lady! Now, what were we talking about again?
I think you forget the fact that in said flashback, Alto's mother was not shown. Nor was she shown in the flashback with his father. Said woman never made an appearance in any of Alto's flashbacks that were in his teen years (after eleven); so it is easy to say "yes" Alto's mother has passed away. Plus, Alto's attachment to her was very strong either way, so why not have a flashback of her unless it makes him suffer?

Quote:
Right, because the characters' pasts are not a part of the movies' storyline. And it's not like even a single one of them had extensive changes to their background, right? So, please, drop it. You're only making this worse on yourself.
Actually, that's a misconception.

A character's background can be made apart from the storyline. The storyline only creates more change for the character over the period of time.

If a characters past was based on the storyline, then basically you'd be saying the "character never grew" or is still an infant. To give a character no background before the storyline is to make it an "android" or an "emotionless being." A character has to have a background before the storyline in order to flourish.

So therefore, Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka's background all came before the storyline.
Ranka's didn't change much except meeting Alto sooner and have possibly known him for a while. Sheryl's didn't change really except meeting Alto for that short period. Alto's didn't change at all with the exception of meeting Sheryl for that short time and meeting Ranka earlier and befriending her.
Their pasts (in speech and flashbacks) was not much different from the series. Which, Kawamori already said that you could watch episodes 1-15 and then jump into the second movie because the characters attitudes, pasts, and whatnot are the same, it's only the storyline (plot and ending) that is different.

Or had you not paid attention to how similar their characters were from the Ep.15 point?
Old 2011-11-12, 19:59   Link #3346
supernaps
old school actually.

Quote:

I was saying that the way Kawamori acknowledged Sheryl, it was as if he wanted her to be a stand-alone character whether or not he put her as the winner of the triangle; because he thought she was that strong, that she could stand on her own, and therefore did not need a relationship to quote "win the love triangle."
Actually in the second movie, Sheryl is not that strong (in the sense of your definition), having attached herself to Alto; she tells him to quit flying and fight, she spends time in her room mooning over memories and such.
Yes, she does pull herself together and stands in her own feet but emotional commitment causes need. Sheryl is not a robot, she has feelings that she chooses to act on to; if she is independent or not, that is irrelevant.

Eeer, not sure what you're arguing at here?
Old 2011-11-12, 20:12   Link #3347
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I give up.

Old 2011-11-12, 20:12   Link #3348
teelatsuki

Quote:
Tak was referring to Ranka knowing about her connection to the plot. Like, for example, her singing making the Vajra appear and what truly happened to 117. She had post traumatic stress and suffered from dissociative amnesia soon after the end of the incident. I doubt Ranka was truly aware of the project Mao had started (and Ranshe and Grace worked on together). In the small flashback in Ep.23, Grace is shown arguing with Ranshe; up until that point, I doubt Ranka was truly ever aware that Grace was part of 117's research facility. So how could she actually tell anyone about her connection to the plot when she doesn't know it?
Well I was just talking about her character in general.

Quote:
I knew it! this is you still taking something and blowing it out of proportion, just because she is a great stand-alone character doesn't mean she should just stay that way as much as I want it this is not the Sheryl Nome show so she was put in situations that connect her with people, in a story relationships are important.
Old 2011-11-12, 20:14   Link #3349
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I give up.
You've got more patience than I do...I barely even skim her posts these days.
Old 2011-11-12, 20:17   Link #3350
supernaps
old school actually.

Quote:
I give up.
Nooo, never give up. NEVER SURRENDER
Old 2011-11-12, 20:26   Link #3351
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
I read for the lulz. I'm not sure why shes still bringing stuff up by this point. But by all means, become another Bleach_OD (whom I haven't seen review the 2nd movie yet) XD

Simply put Alto and Sheryl are destined to be together, no matter the universe. Movie!Ranka had best chance, but no luck.

She still had the best concerts though.
Old 2011-11-12, 22:07   Link #3352
darkplataform

Wth! Didn't knew ignore list was too hard to use guys

Thanks for getting the thread closed btw.
Chao
Old 2011-11-12, 22:13   Link #3353
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Once again, the children have misbehaved and posts have disappeared, again...

Would it be so hard to actually debate WITHOUT insulting each other?

Can it be possible?
Old 2011-11-12, 22:17   Link #3354
magnuskn

I still kinda miss Dex-kun. ^^
Old 2011-11-12, 23:18   Link #3355
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Certainly. No argument about that, at least in the movie-verse. I hold reservations about it from the TV series, however.
No, of course. I was going with movie-verse exclusively. Michel's his best friend in the TV series while Nanase is Ranka's.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-11-13, 01:10   Link #3356
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Alto and Sheryl had plenty of chemistry. Just take a look at episode five of the TV series. Alto may have been dragged into that outting to start with, but Sheryl's enthusiasm proves infectious and pretty soon he's taking the initiative to show her Island Three. He didn't go there for Ranka. Her train was at a different station and there wasn't anything saying where it was going. He was generally quite happy to simply hang around while Sheryl did stuff on Island Three (the exception being when he was leading her somewhere and she kept getting distracted -in an area where it would have been easy to loose track of her).
Well to be fair, in the series this is a blink and you miss it, but Alto was searching for Ranka in the series because he did see her taking the train to island three.

That doesn't take away the fact that they did have tons of chemistry[...]
I know he spotted Ranka boarding a train, but I'm not inclined to believe he went to Island Three to look for her. There's nothing saying where the train is going, and she's already made contact with Mikhail. Besides, how would he know where Ranka plans to get off at?

Given all that it's logical to think that his reason for going to Island Three was the one he told Sheryl with such intensity after he spotted one of the Islands through the window of the train the two of them were on -that there was a place he really wanted to take her.

Sorry for pushing the Island Three thing so hard but I'd let the matter drop during a past discussion with LMK this time around I'm inclined not to. The evidence is for Alto being eager to show Sheryl Island Three and against him spending the whole time wishing he was looking for Ranka.
Old 2011-11-13, 01:47   Link #3357
teelatsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I know he spotted Ranka boarding a train, but I'm not inclined to believe he went to Island Three to look for her. There's nothing saying where the train is going, and she's already made contact with Mikhail. Besides, how would he know where Ranka plans to get off at?

Given all that it's logical to think that his reason for going to Island Three was the one he told Sheryl with such intensity after he spotted one of the Islands through the window of the train the two of them were on -that there was a place he really wanted to take her.

Sorry for pushing the Island Three thing so hard but I'd let the matter drop during a past discussion with LMK this time around I'm inclined not to. The evidence is for Alto being eager to show Sheryl Island Three and against him spending the whole time wishing he was looking for Ranka.
Well, I'm of the opinion that Alto being so duty oriented, went searching after Ranka because Michael told him to do so (IIRC he didn't see Michael in that scene); he seemed to be searching for her in the mall. Also, I got the impresion that probably certain trains just go from a island to another.

I just keep with this because there's no point in showing Alto seeing Ranka boarding the train if it was for nothing; that is the reason why I liked that in the movie Alto took Sheryl there for no other reason than to have fun.
Old 2011-11-13, 01:54   Link #3358
Darthtabby

While he's seen from the side and they don't show him following Ranka onto the train, Mikhail is clearly in view when Alto spots Ranka.

As for a reason to include that scene -can you think of any quicker way to show the audience how Ranka ended up on Island Three later on?
Old 2011-11-13, 02:06   Link #3359
teelatsuki

I will check about that later, but if they were doing that it would have worked better if they put it as a passing coincidence; you know when a group of characters don't see that they just passed each other, that is why i still think that Alto went there because Ranka was going there.
Old 2011-11-13, 02:43   Link #3360
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Right. How in the world did we get to talking mostly about the TV SERIES?

And I wasn't even talking about 'setting', but rather about storytelling technique...

Quote:
Same here. Though even then I always come across something I'm itching to rebut. *sighs* I really shouldn't have bitten that time... Lesson learnt, once again.

Apologies for opening that can of worms, guys. m(_ _ )m

edit: the sad thing is...she actually made one general - VERY general - point I agree with.

====

Moving on, I'm putting aside the director's interview for the moment, since a certain controversial article has finally been verified. Although I won't be posting the scan, all the text within these 「brackets」 is noted to be from Kawamori himself (the Re: subheadings are mine). I've also corrected the mistakes I spotted in my original translation - if there are others, please let me know

Kawamori's comments in Animedia, May 2011 issue, in an article called "After tea, it's time to solve the mysteries..."

Spoiler for Japanese text and English translation:

=====

On a related note, here's the full segment about the ending from the interview with Ebata Risa (character design) x Kawamori Shouji x Koyama Kariko (mangaka) in the 3rd volume of Sheryl~Kiss in the Galaxy~, p.175

Spoiler for length:

=====

And...

Spoiler for my comments...:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-13 at 16:48.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song